05-08-14 09:57 PM
66 123
tools
    Not everyone has a good enough memory to have wordless icons!!!!! Don't remove the words, please please please please please please.

Trusted Member Genius
    05-06-14 03:57 PM
    How hard would it be to make it a choice? Developer have to provide the name, but we have an option to turn it off in the Display Panel. Of course this would only work with Native Apps.....
    05-06-14 04:02 PM
    Better is to get the choice between text or not !

Bucks Cr3ation 24D0A5E0
    05-06-14 04:07 PM
    Yes i would need the text, but they can have an option to implement the icon text within the icon, instead of using the space below the icon... just my 2 cents...
    05-06-14 04:46 PM
    I think this all ties back into something that is shockingly absent in Blackberry 10: customization

Personally, I think app icons are distinctive enough that I'd never forget an app icon. I'd love to be able to turn off text below icons and subsequently fit more icons on a page.

But say I did forget, a simple jump into the settings menu to "turn on" "text below icons" and I'm back in business.

BlackBerry 10 is still in it's infancy and there are lots of things I love so I'm very forgiving/patient.

I'm z10ing. Yes, I invented a verb.
    05-06-14 05:36 PM
    Yay on keeping the text. I like the option for more screen real estate but not at the expense of not knowing which app icons are what.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-14 05:42 PM
    There was a similar debate on this when bbos 6 was released. I'm actually gearing toward them opening up for themes and have it controlled there would be my preference.

New app revenue stream plus new feature

Posted via CB10
    flyingsolid likes this.
    05-06-14 05:51 PM
    Please no! I MUCH prefer text. Half the time I can't tell what many icons are even pictures *of*... but I certainly can read. As long as I have text, I don't have to care whether the icons are flat, 3D, shiny, or even recognizable. I also hate "mystery links" on web pages - images which don't indicate verbally where they go until you touch them. Do NOT do this to our phones, please! </apoplectic rant> ;-)

With so many changes I keep wondering what it would be like if we ditched the text below the icons. Do we need it? Do we like it? Would it help if someone borrowed our phone and wanted to find the right app or see what we had? Could it make more room for larger icons or more tiles per page?

Generally, I think once I install an app I know what it looks like and can find it.

What's your opinion? I'm not great at photoshop but I would be curious what it might look like.
    05-07-14 05:29 AM
    Yes yes yes, exactly. You nailed it with the McDonald's reference. First time I ever saw a non-verbal touch screen, I thought it was for people who didn't have to know how to read & write - and I'd only seen one at a fast-food place.

The irony of removing text links from a phone with a physical keyboard ....

Awful idea - not only has there been massive tax money spent on teaching me how to read and write and I'd like to put that skill to use, but it's bad enough having to interpret some dumb, non-intuitive app name to go along with some dumb, non-intuitive icon. With both I have a better chance remembering just what the hell it means by ciphering the combo.
    You want icons? Go work the register at McDonalds.
    05-07-14 05:39 AM
    Yes we need text. I like having it there.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 10:38 AM
    It's a nice customisable option on android and jail broken iphones but then so are the app icons
    05-07-14 10:42 AM
    It doesn't matter. If you're completely new to technology, the text will provide a clear answer as to what it is (being inclusive). And if you know what's going on, you don't have to read it.
    A lot of suggestions/debates on here focus on things that may seem great to the individual suggesting them, but really bottleneck the targeted market in terms of a learning curve. BlackBerry 10 should be about productivity for all users, not just the obsessive ones.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 11:24 AM
    How about just make a option to have it or not in the display settings?????

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 11:40 AM
    Yes text, but options are always better

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 11:52 AM
    PLEASE.... don't go "microsoft" on us...

Yes, I created another new verb, i.e., "I've been microsofted", meaning I've had some moron gamer software designer try to shove a numbnuts, dumbed-down phone O/S onto my non-touchscreen computer because they have "apple envy" and want to have one "experience" across their phone, computer, and tablet platforms, regardless of whether I want that experience !

There are certainly some icons for which I may not need to see text to know what they are, but there are others for whom that isn't true...
    ...and, being a baby boomer, I'm approaching the point at which I know that sometimes I need a reminder of what it was I was trying to do.

Here's a thought: let it be an option for each app to decide if there wil be a text label or not, instead of an 'all or nothing' choice at the system level. Just think how much fun we could have arranging icons in neat rows, lining up those with text and those without... or alternating them for an interesting effect !

Just don't microsoft us !
    Ragbert likes this.
    05-07-14 12:05 PM
    We definitely need text!!!

Are we going to make a thread for everyone that doesn't like something and then when we argue we ask for an option?!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 12:08 PM
    In my opinion blackberry use leave the text below the icons.
    05-07-14 12:11 PM
    I would go to retain the texts. It doesn't take that much space.

(This should be a poll, by the way)
    05-08-14 12:16 AM
    To answer your question as to whether we should remove the text:

10.3 Debate - Do we need text below icons?-baeae333d9903619053f91e191a88567.jpg

I say "nope" because I'm pretty forgetful and I keep accidentally hitting the DailyMotion app instead of the IMDb app because the icons are just a similar colour...they're not even a similar shape!

^This is when we do have the text...it will be worse when we don't. I'ma just start opening apps to see what they are! It's a problem when you have almost 70 apps on your phone.

Honestly, an option to disable it would be nice though...It would also allow more rows of apps/folders.
    Ragbert likes this.
    05-08-14 01:35 AM
    Hahahahaha (and thank you)!
    To answer your question as to whether we should remove the text:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baeae333d9903619053f91e191a88567.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	268531

I say "nope" because I'm pretty forgetful and I keep accidentally hitting the DailyMotion app instead of the IMDb app because the icons are just a similar colour...they're not even a similar shape!

^This is when we do have the text...it will be worse when we don't. I'ma just start opening apps to see what they are! It's a problem when you have almost 70 apps on your phone.

Honestly, an option to disable it would be nice though...It would also allow more rows of apps/folders.
    Nharzhool likes this.
    05-08-14 01:40 AM
    Personally, I think I can figure what thew icons do once I execute them a single time. That's me though.

Oh and this is coming from someone that got Felicia Day and Alicia Keys mixed up. So take my opinion for what it is worth.......
    05-08-14 04:45 AM
    I personally like the text below the icons, and would not want to see them removed on a permanent basis. An option to turn them off would be nice, but I dont think it would add another row of icons.
    05-08-14 05:10 AM
    Keep the text. Make it optional if possible. otherwise keep it.
    kbz1960 and Trini-34 like this.
    05-08-14 07:29 AM
    The whole point of an icon is to replace text. If you need text, you don't really need an icon. That's why text isn't needed on international road signs. But icons only work if they are part of a generally accepted lexicon, which international road sign and restroom door icons are, but apps mostly aren't.

The Facebook icon is known well enough to be, ahem, iconic, and needs no text. The majority of apps will never be so well known. That's not to say they aren't learnable, but look at the BBVE icon, for example. It's pretty inscrutable. If there's a setting to remove the labels, the space for the labels will still have to be available.
    05-08-14 09:03 AM
    I think this all ties back into something that is shockingly absent in Blackberry 10: customization
    Themes. The one size fits all answer to this debate.
    05-08-14 09:22 AM
66 123