12-23-15 01:15 AM
54 123
tools
    I'd be more worked up if he had announced 10.4. Another is of 10.3 is probably just security patches as they've said they'll do.

Posted via CB10
    gng11 likes this.
    12-19-15 01:04 AM
    Some relief that bb10 is going to be alive for some more time.

Z30 10.3.2.2876 thru CB10
    12-19-15 01:07 AM
    I'd be more worked up if he had announced 10.4. Another is of 10.3 is probably just security patches as they've said they'll do.

Posted via CB10
    10.4 could be security-only as well. On the desktop, browsers like Chrome and Firefox (and even ChromeOS!) push out major versions even when it's security-only.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    12-19-15 01:20 AM
    10.4 could be security-only as well. On the desktop, browsers like Chrome and Firefox (and even ChromeOS!) push out major versions even when it's security-only.

True, but at least it'd be the "next iteration" of the OS which would give hope of some more noticeable changes.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 01:49 AM
    God I hope not. Not having Google is one of the biggest reasons I have a Blackberry. I I wanted Google, I would buy an Android phone.
    This has nothing to do with being able to support Google play.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 02:01 AM
    Yes, but BB has a pretty clearly established standard for their numbering system, which has been discussed by BB development in the past.

In "10.3.2.254", the "10" represents BB10 and really isn't a version number. The "3" represents the 4th major release of BB10 (the first being 0, as in 10.0), and the "2" represents the second significant security/maintenance/bug-fix update of that major build. The "254" is the build number, indicating how many times the developers have compiled the OS along the course of developing that minor update.

In other words, you can read it as "BB10, major version 3, minor update 2, build number 254." This structure was put in place by BB.

So, by telling us that they're working on 10.3.3 (and then 10.3.4), they're telling us that they aren't working on the next major version (which would be 10.4, and would be expected to have new features or significant updates), but only on the next minor updates to the current 10.3.
    12-19-15 02:11 AM
    They have long explicitly stated no new Runtime, and security/maintenance patches only.

From Dev blog:

"we are confirming plans to release platform updates focused on security and privacy enhancements, with version 10.3.3 scheduled to be available in early 2016."

"BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the CURRENT release of the Android Runtime*"
    YOU all do know right that the current android runtime is still running off kit kat hence the fact that a lot of the apps crash.
    12-19-15 05:09 AM
    YOU all do know right that the current android runtime is still running off kit kat hence the fact that a lot of the apps crash.
    It's Jelly Bean (4.3).

Posted via CB10
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    12-19-15 05:21 AM
    Still BlackBerry 10 are based on QNX and will live on.. so we need drivers and QT... more or less (I know it's more to it than that)

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 06:43 AM
    We want Qt5, BlackBerry!!!
    12-19-15 11:37 AM
    This has nothing to do with being able to support Google play.

Posted via CB10
    Uhmm... you do know I was commenting on someone's post wishing for Google Play support don't you? I know the original post wasn't about that, but the comment I replied to, and quoted was.
    12-19-15 12:08 PM
    We want Qt5, BlackBerry!!!
    Yeah, BlackBerry 10 support was removed from the Qt Tools, that ain't going to happen.
    12-19-15 01:12 PM
    Hell [/hope]
    12-19-15 01:17 PM
    Santa is real and so is Priv and probably Vienna!

BlackBerry needs to integrate Android better on BlackBerry 10!

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 01:53 PM
    Are they just security or will they have new functionality and or drastic improvements? A 10.3.3 release to me should have something tangible within it.

An updated Android Runtime would be fantastic and appreciated.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    Agree, updated runtime (so apps can run buttery smooth and faster) is sometime I desire on my Blackberry 10 device as well. Also maybe newer, improved and better Blackberry Assistant? To match Siri's/Cortana's technological levels (i.e. say "Thank you" and BB Assistant will respond?).
    12-19-15 02:18 PM
    Yes, but BB has a pretty clearly established standard for their numbering system, which has been discussed by BB development in the past.

In "10.3.2.254", the "10" represents BB10 and really isn't a version number. The "3" represents the 4th major release of BB10 (the first being 0, as in 10.0), and the "2" represents the second significant security/maintenance/bug-fix update of that major build. The "254" is the build number, indicating how many times the developers have compiled the OS along the course of developing that minor update.

In other words, you can read it as "BB10, major version 3, minor update 2, build number 254." This structure was put in place by BB.

So, by telling us that they're working on 10.3.3 (and then 10.3.4), they're telling us that they aren't working on the next major version (which would be 10.4, and would be expected to have new features or significant updates), but only on the next minor updates to the current 10.3.
    Thanks for breaking this down

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 04:00 PM
    BlackBerry should be smart to get both platform more uniform with the same icons and they must update both to ANdroid 6, OK android runtime for BlackBerry 10 and call it BlackBerry 11 to show it still is moving on. I also think the Priv will not be the succes they hopping for, but they should continue with a new phone for both platforms that are the same (full touch screen) uniform icons and both Android 6 runtime. Call it Z50 for Android and Z50+ for BlackBerry OS11

It will shock the world but you can marketing them both at the same time and just get the price around 400-500 euro with 3 GB RAM and standaard 128 Memory , and stereo speakers on both sides like the Z30. I say use the same model .
    cukierkas and poomslike like this.
    12-19-15 04:43 PM
    BlackBerry should be smart to get both platform more uniform with the same icons and they must update both to ANdroid 6, OK android runtime for BlackBerry 10 and call it BlackBerry 11 to show it still is moving on. I also think the Priv will not be the succes they hopping for, but they should continue with a new phone for both platforms that are the same (full touch screen) uniform icons and both Android 6 runtime. Call it Z50 for Android and Z50+ for BlackBerry OS11

It will shock the world but you can marketing them both at the same time and just get the price around 400-500 euro with 3 GB RAM and standaard 128 Memory , and stereo speakers on both sides like the Z30. I say use the same model .
    Have you not read ANY of the discussions about the OHA over the last year?
    andre3030 and kbz1960 like this.
    12-19-15 05:34 PM
    I think a lot of people are missing the point. BB has two completely different OS's that serve two different communities. They can't afford to alienate one over the other. I think software updates will come for OS 10 and Google play as well. Because some of the apps in Amazons store give the warning, but can be bypassed to work. Amazon will not put up with that for long.In closing neither OS is going anywhere soon. I just hope BB gets its act together and starts pushing product, you can't sell what people don't know about.
    12-19-15 10:05 PM
    I think a lot of people are missing the point. BB has two completely different OS's that serve two different communities. They can't afford to alienate one over the other.
    They also can't afford not to. If they could, they'd have never released an Android device. But BB10 devices weren't profitable even when they were the focus of the company - and all of their "high security" customers weren't nearly enough to change that - so they certainly aren't going to be profitable now that they are no longer the focus, when development is minimal, and when they're working to move their existing customers to the Priv and future Android phones.

They're fully aware that they're going to lose some customers along the way. They don't like it or want it, but it's unavoidable, and they're focused on trying to bring in fresh customers from the outside - app users who would never go for BB10, but who would find value in an Android phone with higher security and/or a slider keyboard - many of whom were former BB customers but moved away long ago. BB will happily trade unprofitable customers for profitable ones, yes.
    kbz1960 and early2bed like this.
    12-20-15 05:56 PM
    They also can't afford not to. If they could, they'd have never released an Android device. But BB10 devices weren't profitable even when they were the focus of the company - and all of their "high security" customers weren't nearly enough to change that - so they certainly aren't going to be profitable now that they are no longer the focus, when development is minimal, and when they're working to move their existing customers to the Priv and future Android phones.

They're fully aware that they're going to lose some customers along the way. They don't like it or want it, but it's unavoidable, and they're focused on trying to bring in fresh customers from the outside - app users who would never go for BB10, but who would find value in an Android phone with higher security and/or a slider keyboard - many of whom were former BB customers but moved away long ago. BB will happily trade unprofitable customers for profitable ones, yes.
    Of course lots of people didn't go BB10. That's to be expected when lots of people don't know about the OS due to lack of marketing.

12-21-15 12:43 AM
    Chill out, guys. Bb10 is nearly dead, same Chen written the sad note. Use current devices till it's morally dead and move on.
    12-21-15 01:34 AM
    Santa is real and so is Priv and probably Vienna!
    BlackBerry needs to integrate Android better on BlackBerry 10!
    It's done ... by Priv.
    12-21-15 04:05 AM
    It's done ... by Priv.
    Priv ain't a BB10. It's an Android loaded with BlackBerry bloatwares!

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    12-21-15 02:02 PM
    What I saw in the earnings transcript is something different. The "security and privacy enhancements" phrase is tricky; BlackBerry was saying they want to comply with a new security certification, meaning BB10 is going to get a big security update, with new security-related features. BB 10 is not going to be dropped, but marketed as a niche operating system, far more secure than Android.

So, there is a place for BlackBerry 10 in BlackBerry's future.

The Chilean Passport.
    Vistaus and jdesignz like this.
    12-21-15 04:06 PM
54 123