12-06-16 11:00 PM
676 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    I guess that means there definitely isn't one then.
    No, it means I'm not aware of one. Et tu, Brute?
    Vistaus likes this.
    09-04-16 04:15 PM
    Most likely not, but I'm unaware of a current risk that would require an update. This is to acquire new, top security customers.
    I'm a little confused here. On the one hand, they're killing off BB10 according to most people here, but on the other hand they do want to acquire new top security customers?

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    09-04-16 05:36 PM
    No, it means I'm not aware of one. Et tu, Brute?
    You're not using it right lol

 Passport filter-evading the NSA  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    09-04-16 05:49 PM
    Really, why is everyone thinking it's going to happen? Saying that it will be out in the fall, then saying 10.3.4 will be out in the spring? Why not just skip 10.3.3 and just release. The newer next year. But then again, my Playbook was waiting for the promised update and it was killed. If they can sell their software on a Android phone then why continue to work this one. More updates have shown up for the Priv and the DTEK50 then we have seen in over a year. Just saying...

Posted via CB10
    09-04-16 05:58 PM
    I'm a little confused here. On the one hand, they're killing off BB10 according to most people here, but on the other hand they do want to acquire new top security customers?

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    Once certified, the rest of the story might come to light. Till then,

You're not using it right lol

Yes, I know. I just couldn't help myself.
    Vistaus likes this.
    09-04-16 09:57 PM
    Also, if all they are waiting for is a certification, why couldn't they release the software and then announce that it is certified at a later date?
    09-05-16 04:56 AM
    All these questions... I have another.

I understand Google has a law (apparently) that blackberry cannot have an updated Android runtime running on a blackberry device.

Does that same law work in reverse where you could have a blackberry runtime (or virtual os) running on an Android phone?
    09-05-16 04:59 AM

I understand Google has a law (apparently) that blackberry cannot have an updated Android runtime running on a blackberry device.

Does that same law work in reverse where you could have a blackberry runtime (or virtual os) running on an Android phone?
    Not really a "law". It's a contractual agreement.

If BlackBerry wants to use the full Google services and Play Store version of Android, then they have to agree to Google's terms. Those terms include not having another non-Google android fork on their devices. The android runtime in BB10 is a fork.

However, because it was an existing android fork before the Google agreement, Google let's BlackBerry keep what they have. But it can't be updated.

BlackBerry could go against that agreement and update the runtime, but then Google would see that as a breach of contract and just kill Google Services to the Priv and Dtek50. And send an army of lawyers to Chen's office.

As for the idea of a BlackBerry runtime? I guess it could be done, but no one cares enough about BB10 to try. It would have to come from BlackBerry since they are the only ones who know how it works, and they barely have enough people left developing the actual OS, much less bothering with any virtual runtime version.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-16 12:27 PM
    We gotta split facts from rumours.

Stick with facts.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    09-05-16 03:08 PM
    Since more and more of my updated apps no longer work with the older runtime, it shows that we will end up being left in the dust for Android if you want to run their apps at all.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-16 03:47 PM
    Since more and more of my updated apps no longer work with the older runtime, it shows that we will end up being left in the dust for Android if you want to run their apps at all.

Posted via CB10
    I think that's pretty much 'a given' at this point.

09-05-16 03:59 PM

That agreement only applies to 5.0 and up so theoretically BlackBerry could still supply us with a 4.4 ART

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    09-05-16 04:19 PM
    That agreement only applies to 5.0 and up so theoretically BlackBerry could still supply us with a 4.4 ART

4.4 would be a welcomed update
    09-05-16 05:48 PM
    4.4 would be a welcomed update
    With 4.4 we'd get full smartwatch support :-)

Posted via CB10
    09-05-16 05:52 PM
    With 4.4 we'd get full smartwatch support :-)

Posted via CB10
    That, and Wi-Fi drivers that are as good as they were in the 2.1 days

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ιт > 
    09-05-16 06:01 PM
    And with 4.4 we could use microG to spoof Play Services, which means no more dialogs and/or patching required

ZeBB45 likes this.
    09-05-16 06:15 PM
    And with 4.4 we could use microG to spoof Play Services, which means no more dialogs and/or patching required

I didn't know, and still don't, what microG is, but if BlackBerry could easily put 4.4 in, why won't they?

That's the sort of thing that makes me dislike BlackBerry at this point, and keep me from buying another BB device, physical keyboard or not. I can learn to live again without a pkbd with an iPhone just like millions of others do.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-16 06:48 PM
    I don't know where the idea of the runtime cutoff being at 5 came from. This is the first I've heard of it.

Fact is that BlackBerry noted in their developer blog way back before the Priv was even introduced that the runtime will stay where it was at that point (4.3) and not be developed any further.

Once the Priv was announced a few weeks later, it all became clear why that decision was made. Seems to me that if BlackBerry could move it up to 4.4, they would.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-16 07:43 AM
    Seems to me that if BlackBerry could move it up to 4.4, they would.

Posted via CB10
    No, they're focusing on governments with BB10 right now and they don't need ART, hence the reason they won't move it up to 4.4 Not to mention the fact that they have cut down a lot on the employees of the BB10 team.

09-06-16 04:16 PM
    No, they're focusing on governments with BB10 right now and they don't need ART, hence the reason they won't move it up to 4.4 Not to mention the fact that they have cut down a lot on the employees of the BB10 team.

Well, right now, yeah.

But a year ago when they still had coders botching the apk uninstaller in 10.3.2, then finally fixing it 4 months later (but, only by using an external link to get to the runtime update in BBW)... that would have been the time to update - assuming they could.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-16 05:26 PM
    Well, right now, yeah.

But a year ago when they still had coders botching the apk uninstaller in 10.3.2, then finally fixing it 4 months later (but, only by using an external link to get to the runtime update in BBW)... that would have been the time to update - assuming they could.

Posted via CB10
    Around a year ago is when they started laying off people, so no, they weren't able to do a major ART upgrade.

09-07-16 12:52 AM
    Sick of seeing what seems to be daily updates from BlackBerry on CrackBerry about andriod this/that update!!!!!

Clear where their priorities lie!

Iphone 7 or note7 for me now!

 Passport
    Attachment 408030
    09-08-16 02:27 PM
    Asbestos trousers if you are considering the note.

Seriously, the iPhone 7 is beautiful. Great external speakers. You would never look back.
    09-08-16 02:29 PM
    Asbestos trousers if you are considering the note.

Seriously, the iPhone 7 is beautiful. Great external speakers. You would never look back.
    Lol re absestos line, yeh thought once they will fix the battery issue and then it's a fab handset impo

Iphone 7 jet black looks the real deal for me!

 Passport
    09-08-16 02:32 PM
    Sick of seeing what seems to be daily updates from BlackBerry on CrackBerry about andriod this/that update!!!!!

Clear where their priorities lie!

Iphone 7 or note7 for me now!

 Passport
    Attachment 408030
    Alright, then you go to the certification institution that's busy certifying 10.3.3 We got the link a few days ago so we know the certification is still ongoing. Tell them to hurry up. If not, then just wait, it's not up to BlackBerry right now but up to the certification company.

09-08-16 05:19 PM
676 ... 2021222324 ...