05-06-15 07:25 AM
79 1234
tools
    Sorry this is late. But my results are as follows.

Updated Z10 to 10.3.0.296. I haven't added any bar files from the next leak up yet. If I do that and something changes I'll report back.

Wifi calling works great. Tested both voice and text with mobile network off.

Only change is in the Wifi calling software. You can enable it or disable it. The options for Wifi only or cellular preferred are not available. To me that isn't an issue. Basically if you have it turned on it is Wifi preferred so it will still work on mobile of its on. And you can always turn off your network radio if you want only Wifi.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3175 / T-Mobile USA
    Did you have difficulty downloading. 3175 on your Z30? I for some reason used Sachesi but it only installed the. Bar files

Posted via CB10 using my beautiful white Z30
    06-05-14 02:02 AM
    Did you have difficulty downloading. 3175 on your Z30? I for some reason used Sachesi but it only installed the. Bar files

Posted via CB10 using my beautiful white Z30
    My Z30 updated to 3175 OTA the morning the announcement was made. But my Z30 was unbranded from the factory and unlocked from the factory. My wife's Z10 also updated OTA. She has a Red limited edition from BlackBerry.

My brothers Z10. Didn't update OTA. But it was purchased from the carrier which said it won't be pushing the update until late June. So I used his phone to test wifi calling for 10.3.

I have to say that I was perfectly fine with 2234 on my Z30. I haven't noticed a bit of difference one way or another. I know there is a change in how 64 gig SD cards are handled. But that hasn't affected me.

As far as Sachesi - what happen to you happened to me once when I brought my phone from 2228 to 2234. I had to play with the settings and somehow I got it to update not just download the bar files. But now I've forgotten what I did.

So I hope maybe a Sachesi expert can help guide you to update to 3175. They say it will be pushed to US carriers in late June but I know it's fun to update to the latest so I don't blame you for doing that.

Good luck dude! Wish I could be of more help.

06-05-14 02:13 AM
    Sorry this is late. But my results are as follows.

Updated Z10 to 10.3.0.296. I haven't added any bar files from the next leak up yet. If I do that and something changes I'll report back.

Wifi calling works great. Tested both voice and text with mobile network off.

Only change is in the Wifi calling software. You can enable it or disable it. The options for Wifi only or cellular preferred are not available. To me that isn't an issue. Basically if you have it turned on it is Wifi preferred so it will still work on mobile of its on. And you can always turn off your network radio if you want only Wifi.

Out of curiosity, if you put your phone in airplane mode, then connect to wifi, then turn on wifi-calling, does your Mobile Network stay OFF? In other words, can it be manipulated either way (WiFi-preferred, Wifi-only). Where I live, with lousy cell reception, if I set my Z10 (running stock .2228) for wife-preferred, the battery gets nuked as the phone continues to search for Mobile Network.
    06-05-14 10:42 AM
    Out of curiosity, if you put your phone in airplane mode, then connect to wifi, then turn on wifi-calling, does your Mobile Network stay OFF? In other words, can it be manipulated either way (WiFi-preferred, Wifi-only). Where I live, with lousy cell reception, if I set my Z10 (running stock .2228) for wife-preferred, the battery gets nuked as the phone continues to search for Mobile Network.
    You can turn off your mobile network and be on wifi only and wifi calling will work. If you turn airplane mode on your cell radio will turn back on when you turn airplane mode off.

So yeah you can save battery at home by turning off mobile network and getting your calls and texts over wifi calling. If trying to get a cell signal is killing your battery then this is a great option for you.

06-05-14 04:03 PM
    You can turn off your mobile network and be on wifi only and wifi calling will work. If you turn airplane mode on your cell radio will turn back on when you turn airplane mode off.

So yeah you can save battery at home by turning off mobile network and getting your calls and texts over wifi calling. If trying to get a cell signal is killing your battery then this is a great option for you.

Cool! Thanks!
    06-07-14 10:38 AM
    FYI: My WiFi calling stopped working on .296 in that WiFi calling would connect but then I could not make any calls. The phone app would drop the call immediately after dialing.

I updated .296 with the bar files from .441 and I'm able to make calls again and it seems stable.

I still can't switch to 'cellular preferred' with the Wi-Fi app but that's not a big deal for me at the moment as I can switch on/off Wi-Fi calling as needed.
    06-09-14 03:25 PM
    FYI: My WiFi calling stopped working on .296 in that WiFi calling would connect but then I could not make any calls. The phone app would drop the call immediately after dialing.

I updated .296 with the bar files from .441 and I'm able to make calls again and it seems stable.

I still can't switch to 'cellular preferred' with the Wi-Fi app but that's not a big deal for me at the moment as I can switch on/off Wi-Fi calling as needed.
    Never really understood the "preferred" selection. With the mobile network off (only wifi) you save battery since the the phone doesn't search for a cell signal.

And, presumably, this is a no-go on the Z30?
    06-17-14 10:51 AM
    Cellular preferred is useful if you move around a lot as your call will move from cell tower to cell tower without dropping as opposed to Wi-Fi which will fall off once you get out of Wi-Fi range. However you still get Wi-Fi as a fallback if you end up without a cell signal somewhere.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 10:41 AM
    Cellular preferred is useful if you move around a lot as your call will move from cell tower to cell tower without dropping as opposed to Wi-Fi which will fall off once you get out of Wi-Fi range. However you still get Wi-Fi as a fallback if you end up without a cell signal somewhere.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, you're right. But if you move out of wifi range to cell, you will drop your call (if on a call), unlike the old UMA where you could actually transition. Still, your point is a good one.
    06-18-14 11:55 AM
    So, some of you are using wifi calling on the Z30?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 01:34 PM
    So, some of you are using wifi calling on the Z30?

Posted via CB10
    That was my question. I don't believe so, though.
    06-19-14 08:52 AM
    Too bad BlackBerry won't alter the BUILT-IN bar file in BB10 that dictates that only the STL100-3 and Q10 TMo variant can do WiFi calling.

BB10 has a set of XML and bar files that adjust various settings based on the SIM card.

This is why AT&T SIM cards trigger uneditable APN's.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 09:44 AM
    Honestly, I don't think T-Mobile would mind if the Z30 could get access to wifi-calling. Its a plus for them even though they don't sell the phone. It keeps customers happy.
    06-19-14 06:23 PM
    Honestly, I don't think T-Mobile would mind if the Z30 could get access to wifi-calling. Its a plus for them even though they don't sell the phone. It keeps customers happy.
    That's not their MO, though. Take for example, Android. They don't allow WFC unless phones are TMO branded.

And as for the Z30, it's more likely TMO that's keeping WFC off of it. See this and this, if you're interested.
    06-19-14 06:46 PM
    That's not their MO, though. Take for example, Android. They don't allow WFC unless phones are TMO branded.

And as for the Z30, it's more likely TMO that's keeping WFC off of it.
    Not so sure about that. First of all, people who come to t-mo with unlocked 100-3 (either RFK121LW or RFF91LW versions) have been able to get WFC after putting in a t-mo SIM and upgrading. (But it must be a 100-3). People with Rogers branded phones, unlocked, have it working on their Z10s, on t-mo. As far as the Android phones go, when I was using an Android with t-mo (and they were running Kineto's WFC) customers were coming to t-mo with same-model Android phones and WFC worked. They were not branded t-mo phones.

Also, one of the posters on a linked thread remarks that it is "baked into the phones", absolutely not true. Back in the days of UMA -- when hardware was required on the phone -- that was true. No longer. I just think the phone model # is the key. Z10 100-3 phones work. Whatever Q model t-mo recognized, works, no mater the source.
    06-20-14 12:45 PM
    Not so sure about that. First of all, people who come to t-mo with unlocked 100-3 (either RFK121LW or RFF91LW versions) have been able to get WFC after putting in a t-mo SIM and upgrading. (But it must be a 100-3). People with Rogers branded phones, unlocked, have it working on their Z10s, on t-mo. As far as the Android phones go, when I was using an Android with t-mo (and they were running Kineto's WFC) customers were coming to t-mo with same-model Android phones and WFC worked. They were not branded t-mo phones.

Also, one of the posters on a linked thread remarks that it is "baked into the phones", absolutely not true. Back in the days of UMA -- when hardware was required on the phone -- that was true. No longer. I just think the phone model # is the key. Z10 100-3 phones work. Whatever Q model t-mo recognized, works, no mater the source.
    Right. BB10 is an exception in that you can bring any STL -3 or SQN -5 and you'll have WFC. Not so with Android. Maybe because they've switched to IMS, or whatever. For current TMO branded phones, what's needed for WFC is either pre-installed or can be downloaded from GP. I have a GS3 T999 (same model as TMO's pre-LTE GS3,) and I can't download anything to get WFC, despite it being available on the TMO T999.

OS6 back it was UMA, but even with OS7 phones (none of which have UMA,) you can get WFC through e-screens.
    06-20-14 12:53 PM
    Right. BB10 is an exception in that you can bring any STL -3 or SQN -5 and you'll have WFC. Not so with Android. Maybe because they've switched to IMS, or whatever. For current TMO branded phones, what's needed for WFC is either pre-installed or can be downloaded from GP. I have a GS3 T999 (same model as TMO's pre-LTE GS3,) and I can't download anything to get WFC, despite it being available on the TMO T999.

OS6 back it was UMA, but even with OS7 phones (none of which have UMA,) you can get WFC through e-screens.
    Didn't know that. Seems odd. Wonder what the case is with Windows phones.
    06-20-14 01:48 PM
    Wonder what the case is with Windows phones.
    I've been trying to find out myself. For a brief moment, I was interested in the Lumia 925 so I checked WPCentral and other places, and couldn't find a definitive answer. It's a small sample size (apparently not a lot of people were buying WP8 phones from elsewhere,) and the old articles/posts I read suggested WP is like Android.
    Rustybronco likes this.
    06-20-14 02:13 PM

Doggerz,

Curious. There is a T-mo wifi-calling outage at the moment, is your OS affected? Thanks
    08-25-14 11:46 AM
    Is wifi calling outage still in effect? My 9700 still works on UMA and I'm scared to buy a Q10 if it isn't.
    09-03-14 10:03 AM
    Is wifi calling outage still in effect?
    Yes. Very much so.
    09-03-14 10:11 AM
    Any more recent version of 10.3 tested yet for wifi calling?
    I'm tempted to install the leak, but not sure if 296 is stable.
    Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 09:35 PM
    WiFi calling is not working very well right now, so perhaps now is not the time to test recent leaks for its availability.
    09-05-14 10:06 PM
    Fresh from the T-Mo tower of babble...

"Hi All! We wanted to check in to advise that we do still see this as a known, ongoing issue and are working with BlackBerry to resolve asap. We are sorry we do not have more specifics to share, but support teams are actively engaged. Thank you."
    09-05-14 11:44 PM
    Well, now my phones (.2228 and .3247) have been up and running on Wifi-calling all morning.

Spotty though. Take Raino's advice and wait for a certain resolution.
    Last edited by scrannel; 09-06-14 at 12:35 PM.
    09-06-14 10:35 AM
79 1234