02-05-15 10:03 PM
380 ... 141516
tools
    Just took the plunge and used Sachesi to do a non-destructive update on my Z10 STL100-3 (from 10.2.1..

Observations so far:
    + booting seems much faster than with 10.2.1
    + really like the new look and feel
    + great new features (pick up to wake, flip to save power, etc
    + wifi signal strength better than 10.2.1 (-56dB through concrete floor, whereas before never better than -78dB)
    + haven't experienced dropped calls
    + android apps run slightly faster than before
    + browser slightly faster on regular cell signal (haven't tried on wifi)
    + many more calendar colour codes for different accounts, etc... Nice - finally.

- touch screen seems less responsive than on 10.2.1 (dunno why, but it's true, particularly when typing) - not a biggie
    - some apps (Accuweather) don't mesh well with the light colour-scheme (re-installed, but still off)
    - some laggy/choppy transition when switching between apps
    - not a big fan of the large bubble (compose new email/bbm/txt/tweet) in the HUB. Seems rather obtrusive.
    - CALENDAR:
    -- (dbl neg) whatever happened to the "increasing size date" in calendar? ... Sorely missed!
    --- (triple neg) BB took away quick multi-month view available on 10.2.1 by swiping down.. WHY!? that was so convenient!!!

-/+ priority hub seems tweaked. On 10.2.1 LEVEL 1 never seemed to register on some incoming emails (set as a rule, messages never showed up in RED), now it does, but not for previous emails/messages... must manually select "add priority" even though message is part of rule "from sender".. shouldn't a filter/rule seek and set all messages to LEVEL 1?? Something still screwy.
    11-11-14 06:38 PM
    Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 07:09 PM
    Worst battery.....Z10 going down in just 3 and a half hours....wat the heck

Z10 From Incredible!! India!!
    11-15-14 03:05 PM
    I installed this last week as it seems like it will be the last 10.3.0 update which means the last version with Flash. I'll stay away from 10.3.1 until I can ascertain my need for Flash, or lack thereof.*

I was immediately impressed by the faster, prettier boot, cleaner interface, better initial setup, battery life and improved Android compatibility. I highly recommend this as the ideal upgrade for those still clinging to 10.2.1/Flash... except for one issue: the virtual keyboard!

People have mentioned this and I certainly noticed it when I tried to type more than a few words. The swiping for word suggestions is finicky and often stalls where it was previously second nature. It is disconcerting to think about ensuring that I have to click in just the right place lest I should be stuck swiping on the same spot, trying in vain to insert a suggested word.

This issue highlights just how remarkable the BB10 virtual keyboard is/was that we all just intuitively learned to use it! If it ain't broke....*I wish they'd just left it alone but I appreciate whatever effort they put into improving our OS.

Anyway, I took the time to type this because I believe I have a solution. I'm just your average user and I could be misinformed but I seem to achieve improved typing when I replace the stock sys.zbbiocm.bar with one from 10.3.1.(1154/1949). Further reading shows that sys.data.imf.root is the keyboard (thanks Thurask) so I'll try that too. Very few stalls while typing this post similar to 10.2.1.

My guess is that BlackBerry is experimenting with the right swipe angles for our thumbs because it looks like the middle around letter "T" and the edges "A" and "L" were the most stall-prone before I found this "fix." I do notice a little lag while scrolling the forums sometimes but it could just be the ads...

Anyway, I hope the trailblazers on 10.3.1 enjoy their OS and help ensure that we all have a great platform when the time finally comes for the official release or Flash is finally put to bed.

We have options and that's what's important. Thanks BlackBerry, CrackBerry, xsacha, all developers, everyone here... Happy 2015!
    Last edited by m3mb3rsh1p; 12-29-14 at 10:57 PM.
    12-29-14 10:34 PM
    I've had it for 2 days so far and this keyboard sucks. I have a hard time typing and it lags like crap. Other than that, everything else operates smoothly.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 10:03 PM
380 ... 141516