Finally in OS 10.2 sideloaded google maps works with proper volume and doesn't lose GPS randomly - IF it is the only program running it finally works mostly

HOWEVER, if another app takes the active space, navigation shortly announces GPS signal lost.

After doing some reading, it seems that things have changed for OS 10 as to how background apps are still able to access "active" services like GPS. Staqndard BB maps works fine in the background for example.

It seems that although the android runtime in 10.2 works better, it still has the bug of not allowing google maps to access GPS in the background.

Is there any fix to this - Any plans to fix this - Any way for me to report this bug directly to BB?

As there are a ton of GPS apps for android that are meant to run in the background, I'd think this is a major flaw still existing with the new android runtime files.

As someone who uses google maps to look up companies and then navigate to them (BB maps can't find most companies I go to) this is essential functionality, and I'm quite unimpressed that on their third iteration of OS 10 they still haven't gotten a MAJOR program like Google maps to function properly.

Any help would be great - perhaps there is some way to FORCE android apps acess to GPS while running in background.
    07-30-13 05:18 PM
    Solution is don't use Google maps

Use Mireo's off line maps

Posted via CB10
    pttptppt likes this.
    07-30-13 05:30 PM
    Solution is don't use Google maps

Use Mireo's off line maps

Posted via CB10
    I don't see why people don't use mireo or even, just bb maps. I'm always using bb maps and it's always accurate, fast and just good overall. My only pet-peeve before was that it was restricted to portrait view but in 10.2, it's landscape too. Which is gr8!
    SaraVibes likes this.
    07-30-13 07:14 PM
    Welcome to the Forums!

Part of the problem is that none of the app was done for BlackBerry. Despite only taking 2 seconds to port there is some work that a dev must do to get things running properly. Look at Skype as a good example. You can't really expect BlackBerry to write the runtime specifically for different apps to run properly.

I have a similar issue with aTorrent where if I leave it in active frame I will start to drop seeders. For some reason the application does not hold the connection properly if minimized... but then again sometimes it works just fine. It is important to understand that these side loads were never meant to run on a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 08:17 PM
    I don't see why people don't use mireo or even, just bb maps. I'm always using bb maps and it's always accurate, fast and just good overall. My only pet-peeve before was that it was restricted to portrait view but in 10.2, it's landscape too. Which is gr8!
    I do also quite like BlackBerry Maps, but I enjoy that Mireo is all offline so there is no roaming data when I drive down to the US... now if only there was a map app that did decent offline topo maps!

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 10:15 PM
    Guys, lets not make this thread about BB maps or some offline maps. It's about Google maps not working properly on the Z

BB Maps may work well for some, but after 3 months of using my z in my sales territory, it finds way less than half of the companies I go to, and sometimes gives very poor directions. It is unusable for my scenario.

As for offline maps - the main advantage to online maps is that it can lookup real time traffic, etc.

Google maps I can type in a company - which it find 99 percent of the time - from there I can map it, navigate to it with turn by turn directions - or place a call to the company. All from simply typing the company name and perhaps town.

No other software available for BB does this in a comparable way. And as Google has already stated that they are done developing maps strictly for blackberry, we really need to figure out a way to getting this very necessary program to work on this "Business" phone. I am really trying not to buy another phone because of this, hoping some of the devs on this forum can help out.

As one of the main selling points was that the Z can run android applications - I think it's high time that we get one of the most popular android business applications running on OS 10 properly.
    07-31-13 10:56 AM
    Because BlackBerry are idiots and won't add public transport and walking directions to BlackBerry maps even though it was part of BlackBerry navigation

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 11:13 AM
    So - if the probem is that people are not porting the google maps app properly over to blackberry and this is why the application doesn't keep gps lock when running in background so navigation functions properly - Can we not get someone who is a developer on this site to properly port google maps over properly? With the many many threads devoted to trying to get google maps to work on OS10, I'd think this would be somewhat of a priority.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get this done? Perhaps I'm not posting this in the right place, but OS 10.2 is the closest version of android runtime to making it work properly.

Suggestions? Again, lets keep this about google maps and not the lesser alternatives.
    08-05-13 04:08 PM