04-16-14 07:18 PM
100 ... 234
tools
    As far as I remember, you could look at the permissions but you could never change them.
    The same for me. Maybe it was a leak?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 06:37 AM
    Never been able to change them for Android on any of the releases I've run.
    04-11-14 10:48 AM
    So was doing some reading... There was a exploit to do with Qconn (which is used for debugging apps and stuff) but it allows you to give commands as root apparently? It only effects OS 10.2 and below...

Link

It effectively allows access to the phone as the superuser... Not exactly what this thread needs but yeah! Anyone done anything into this? Looks like a interesting development!
    Last edited by ArmedHitman; 04-12-14 at 10:59 AM. Reason: So it makes sense
    04-12-14 10:53 AM
    If anyone is capable of providing a working root access mode on 10.2.1 I would be interested in donating. Probably not the only one ad well

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 12:01 PM
    Actually, if I got it well (but don't trust me: I read it in the bus at 7 o'clock in the morning while going to school xD), it was a bug, but there's wasn't any known exploit.

However I share the opinion a root would be appreciated

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 03:05 PM
    Man this question again? Why do you want ROOT ON A SANDBOXED RUNTIME?!?!

I guarantee if anyone finds a way to Root the runtime on BB10, than you will see that runtime disappear so fast.

Actually go ahead and try to root it, at least this way it'll start forcing those lazy developers to make native apps (and in turn make BlackBerry do something they should've long ago)

If you want to be able to tinker and change every aspect of your phone just go get a damn cheap $150 Moto G and root that.
    04-12-14 03:35 PM
    Hacking requires three things... Knowledge, Time and the ability to think outside the box... People are correct... anything can be hacked.... the issue is for the amount of time and effort you put in to hacking the runtime is it worth it... BB will surely patch it immediately... so what is the point... I found it amusing how those who used " Dingelberry" on the Playbook... got locked into that version OS forever.... The case of the Playbook as with BB10 it is not actually rooting... rooting is the ability to modify and successfully change the way the OS boots allowing the user many more options ie... Load a different OS ala Android or Jailbreak on Apple... As the PB "root: really only allowed you to play with set permission thus giving you more access to the system.... in the truest sense of the word it is not a root... being able to load a different OS or modifying an existing OS to give you full access would be rooting..... As BB has had years of using encrypted boot loaders good luck with that... It is true there is nothing that is hack proof... the question how long.... If you spent enough years you could in theory "hack" BB elyptical curve encryption... but in the end why bother.... guess if you have a lot of time on your hands and you just need to be able to say "I did it".... might be a worthwhile venture... to me it is silly knowing BB will kill it first chance they get....
    04-12-14 04:21 PM
    The op talking about this , I remember that it was possible to remove the permission in an old version of the android runtime.
    That's probably the feature called "App Ops" that appeared in Android 4.3 (the runtime in BB10.2.1 is 4.1.1), and then Google later claimed it was "only a test" and removed or "hid" it in Android 4.4.2 and above.
    04-12-14 07:58 PM
    To be honest I just wanted to be able to use my BlackBerry with ARliberator on my pioneer appradio.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 12:21 AM
    Maybe someone of you didn't understand: I DO NOT want to crack the operating system, I would just like to obtain a console root access at runtime (Android) level so I could control access permissions over applications. But, as a programmer, I know it's difficult and I'm not focusing too much on it

Bye!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 06:22 AM
    Maybe someone of you didn't understand: I DO NOT want to crack the operating system, I would just like to obtain a console root access at runtime (Android) level so I could control access permissions over applications. But, as a programmer, I know it's difficult and I'm not focusing too much on it

Bye!!!

Posted via CB10
    It is you my friend who does not understand
    You can't touch the runtime before you crack the OS
    You are trying to eat the clam meat before opening the shell...
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    04-13-14 07:47 PM
    You could modify it without getting root access. You just need a set of signing keys with sys signing ability
    04-13-14 08:28 PM
    We could try to use some privilege escalation techniques directly into the runtime which is less patched than the BlackBerry 10 OS. I think that BlackBerry Runtime Logger would be a good point to start

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 12:12 AM
    I still think all BlackBerry needs to do is update the runtime to 4.3, enable App Ops and provide a UI to it.

It would have benefits beyond just that feature.

But perhaps they don't want the Android component to be too appealing.
    04-14-14 09:03 PM
    I still think all BlackBerry needs to do is update the runtime to 4.3, enable App Ops and provide a UI to it.

It would have benefits beyond just that feature.

But perhaps they don't want the Android component to be too appealing.
    I absolutely agree with you, but, as long as there won't be a ton of new features, I think they won't update the runtime again.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 06:41 AM
    I absolutely agree with you, but, as long as there won't be a ton of new features, I think they won't update the runtime again.
    Well guess what: they recently announced an update to the runtime is coming..... to version 4.3.
    04-16-14 03:06 PM
    Well guess what: they recently announced an update to the runtime is coming..... to version 4.3.
    Ahahahahah I saw and thought to what I had wrote! XD
    In italian we call it "gufata" XD
    It's like when you say: "Things couldn't be worst" (don't know if you say it too in America) and they actually go worse (I apologise for my bad English, it 10pm here! XD)

Hope we'll see the possibility to remove app permission in this update

Bye!!!

P.S.: what about making a petition for asking in to BlackBerry? Who would participate?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 03:15 PM
    The 4.3 update is interesting mostly for the NFC and BT-Lp stuff, but the real update they need to make is to find and fix the I/O performance problem.

That is literally the only thing keeping these phones from performing on Android equal to or in many cases better than similarly-spec'd straight-up Android devices.
    04-16-14 03:22 PM
    The 4.3 update is interesting mostly for the NFC and BT-Lp stuff, but the real update they need to make is to find and fix the I/O performance problem.

That is literally the only thing keeping these phones from performing on Android equal to or in many cases better than similarly-spec'd straight-up Android devices.
    Can you please elaborate the I/O more? Maybe more info about the problematics?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 03:31 PM
    Can you please elaborate the I/O more? Maybe more info about the problematics?

Posted via CB10
    See how long it takes to load an app on BB10 as compared to even a modestly spec'd Android phone. The BlackBerry is much slower.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 03:55 PM
    See how long it takes to load an app on BB10 as compared to even a modestly spec'd Android phone. The BlackBerry is much slower.

Posted via CB10
    I think the problem is because you are in a sort of Virtual Machine and you have more "layers" to access physical resources.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 04:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    I get it. Basically Dalvik VM runs on top of some Unix kernel too. So there has to be some technical issues with BB10 and Android playerb lack of programming skills or not enough money to research.

If there are any problems with BB10 (QNX) and Android player with performance, is there any more technical details about it?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 04:04 PM
    I think the problem is because you are in a sort of Virtual Machine and you have more "layers" to access physical resources.

Posted via CB10
    No, the problem doesn't lie there. Indirection of that sort doesn't lead to this kind of performance issue; it is far more likely this is a mismatch in buffering sizes somewhere.

Performance in this area is literally 1/10th of what it should be. A 10 percent hit on the indirection would be reasonably defensible. A 10x​ hit is not.

This is the only reason you're seeing material performance differences between BB10 devices and native Android running the same apps. The Z10 and 30 perform extremely well in all areas (and materially faster than you'd expect in some, such as graphic rendering) except I/O, where performance just plain sucks.
    04-16-14 04:05 PM
    Has anyone tried jtagging it?

04-16-14 05:28 PM
    No, the problem doesn't lie there. Indirection of that sort doesn't lead to this kind of performance issue; it is far more likely this is a mismatch in buffering sizes somewhere.

Performance in this area is literally 1/10th of what it should be. A 10 percent hit on the indirection would be reasonably defensible. A 10x​ hit is not.

This is the only reason you're seeing material performance differences between BB10 devices and native Android running the same apps. The Z10 and 30 perform extremely well in all areas (and materially faster than you'd expect in some, such as graphic rendering) except I/O, where performance just plain sucks.

I agree to an extent, but personally I guess I'm less worried about being on parity performance-wise than I am having to be stuck with heinous app permissions or just forego the app entirely. Certainly if the I/O thing is an easy fix (ie "mismatched buffer sizes" as you surmise) I would love to see that too.

In regards to graphic rendering, it seems that BB10 is time-slicing screen-updates heavily on Android apps if you are not actually touching the screen. I have some clock sync Android apps I use that have running clock displays that will often not update the display for what seems like several seconds (or at least a major fraction of a second) at a time unless I continually poke the screen, for example. This behaviour does not occur on a native Android device running the same apps.
    04-16-14 07:18 PM
100 ... 234