04-16-14 08:18 PM
100 1234
tools
    I'm pretty sure that the tool that Google included for a while with 4.3 and above to selectively control app permissions was removed in later builds with the excuse it was "only for testing".
    Nope, it's only hidden. I am running 4.4.2 PA AOSP on my Nexus 7 and these settings are exposed here and can be accessed.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 03:20 AM
    That's exatly the reason why I wanted to root Android runtimme, because you can toggle app permissions and it's a bit hard to do it with other tools that wants to decompile-edit-repack apks.

But there are also other things we could do if we rooted Android Runtime.

Now I'm not an Android expert (neither an user, actually), I'm just a programmer and I.T. Student, but I think there's a way for doing it. Do you know if, in the finals release of BB 10.2.1, runtime will be unlocked?
    The runtime has been unlocked in all builds of 10.2.1. Unlocked in this sense that you no longer need the _sys_android_rrr permission to run native apps. You can even natively install apk now.
    HOWEVER, it doesn't mean you can root the runtime.
    I talked with a certain individual about this rooting (he was involved with the rooting of the PB), and basically what dingleberry did was run an exploit after every boot. That's what Johney5 was saying was the way to go also. However, most of the exploits are now patched. I know at the time of PB2.0 official release, there were only 2 processes left with root permissions. So you would essentially have to exploit one of those. However, the 2 of them are so basic in what they do (very few functions) that you essentially have nothing to work with if you want to exploit them.
    I heard rumors that even those 2 processes are no longer running as root now on BB10. If so, you have essentially no access to root itself.
    Now, if you are talking about rooting the Android portion, then maybe there is a possibility. However, like what I explained above, the loopholes and exploits are almost non-existent. If you can't do it via devuser privileges, then you have nowhere else to go. Since we already know unpackaging the bar file, editing, and recompiling is a no-go because of signing problems (i am almost certain no one will be able to bypass this. BB made this a very secure mechanism, short of hacking BB's signing server and emulating it on your own server with modifications, ASSUMING everything else is possible). So, the only way is to make edits to the runtime AFTER it is installed on the device. Which, without exploits, seems like a moot point, no?
    01-28-14 11:18 AM
    Geez masterscarhead just make it work, would ya?

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 12:29 PM
    The runtime has been unlocked in all builds of 10.2.1. Unlocked in this sense that you no longer need the _sys_android_rrr permission to run native apps. You can even natively install apk now.
    HOWEVER, it doesn't mean you can root the runtime.
    I talked with a certain individual about this rooting (he was involved with the rooting of the PB), and basically what dingleberry did was run an exploit after every boot. That's what Johney5 was saying was the way to go also. However, most of the exploits are now patched. I know at the time of PB2.0 official release, there were only 2 processes left with root permissions. So you would essentially have to exploit one of those. However, the 2 of them are so basic in what they do (very few functions) that you essentially have nothing to work with if you want to exploit them.
    I heard rumors that even those 2 processes are no longer running as root now on BB10. If so, you have essentially no access to root itself.
    Now, if you are talking about rooting the Android portion, then maybe there is a possibility. However, like what I explained above, the loopholes and exploits are almost non-existent. If you can't do it via devuser privileges, then you have nowhere else to go. Since we already know unpackaging the bar file, editing, and recompiling is a no-go because of signing problems (i am almost certain no one will be able to bypass this. BB made this a very secure mechanism, short of hacking BB's signing server and emulating it on your own server with modifications, ASSUMING everything else is possible). So, the only way is to make edits to the runtime AFTER it is installed on the device. Which, without exploits, seems like a moot point, no?
    Guy, you are really prepared about the argument!

I just have a question: why are you sure Android runtime is fully patched? I'm not saying it's not, but, as a I.T. student, I would like to understand how, if you want/can explain it to me Thanks
    01-28-14 01:31 PM
    No, I'm not saying the runtime itself is patched, I'm saying that the OS is patched so how exactly will you run your exploit?
    I'm not trying to fight. I'm just trying to share what I understand

Posted via CB10
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-28-14 04:40 PM
    Just to add to that point, you can't root it from within the runtime itself because the runtime does not have permission to make edits to that portion of the OS. Imagine being a 5 year old kid and the cookie jar is on a 6 ft tall counter and you got nothing to climb or knock down the jar. You simply can't touch it. All you can do is stare and drool

Posted via CB10
    toobs623 likes this.
    01-28-14 04:42 PM
    This is going nowhere... it was a promising Start, but I believe the OS is locked down to hell.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 04:43 PM
    ... it was a promising Start, but I believe the OS is locked down to hell.

Something we should all be grateful for.
    01-28-14 06:02 PM
    No, I'm not saying the runtime itself is patched, I'm saying that the OS is patched so how exactly will you run your exploit?
    I'm not trying to fight. I'm just trying to share what I understand

Posted via CB10
    I don't want to root the OS: I want to root the runtime. Maybe I didn't understand what you said.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 01:16 AM
    I don't want to root the OS: I want to root the runtime. Maybe I didn't understand what you said.

Posted via CB10
    Nope it can't be done

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 01:21 AM
    Nope it can't be done

Now I'm going to flip around and say that isn't true either - it's always possible that someone could come up with a hack.

However the available evidence suggests that BlackBerry has done a very, very good job of locking-down both the BB10 OS and the Android runtime in that OS.

So getting around that certainly is not going to be easy. The guy who famously used to specialize in hacking the legacy OS platforms basically finally gave up on trying to find an exploit for BB10, last I checked. And I know of no other publicly-demonstrated root exploit for BB10 from anyone, on modern OS versions.
    01-29-14 03:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    My friend, it seems you don't understand the mechanics behind what you seek to do. You want to root the runtime, yet you have no way in. The OS is patched so you can't access the runtime and edit it since it is a part of the system. It's like I want to paint your room green, but I can't even get in the front door. I'm not saying it's not possible, but like omnitech said, the person most famous for dingleberry root has given up, you wanna try?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 11:39 AM
    My friend, it seems you don't understand the mechanics behind what you seek to do. You want to root the runtime, yet you have no way in. The OS is patched so you can't access the runtime and edit it since it is a part of the system. It's like I want to paint your room green, but I can't even get in the front door. I'm not saying it's not possible, but like omnitech said, the person most famous for dingleberry root has given up, you wanna try?

Posted via CB10
    I just found this thread and I got to say I am very interested in finding out a solution for this dilemma.
    What OP wants to achieve is basically a permissions manager. I too am very interested on this. I just got my z30 and been loving the fact I can install apks straight from the phone. I am however getting extremely wary of the fact that several apps now have unlimited access of my sd card, camera and microphone. I am also somehow distressed at the fact we cannot modify permissions for android apps at all. What OP tried to accomplish is something I thoroughly experimented with once I updated my previous phone to 4.4 KitKat. The notorious App Ops feature was taken out by google. Don't ask me why, they just did so many over xda-devs brought it back. This effectively brought back androids elusive permissions manager.
    Now I really want to restrict some of these intrusive permissions on many of my Android apps in blackberry so I see why OP would try to root the runtime. After all some of the best non-signed apps can only be installed when rooted. One of them being AppOps ever since Kitkat. So far it seems permissions for android apps on the current runtime are locked unless we recompile, test and convert their given apks. This I believe to be the next milestone stone for Blackberry as they undoubtedly perfect Google Play Services compatibility and allow us to fully unlock the runtime's potential. I have for now tried to install multiple AppOps apks without luck and even have tried a few permission managers straight from Snap. No luck for now whatsoever but will bring back news if I find one that works.
    04-01-14 08:26 PM
    If all you want is to remove permissions from apks, then use 'APK Permission Remover'. You can even remove apk components with the Pro version.
    10.2.1 - Root Android Runtime-img_20140402_021331.png

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    miker476 and anon1727506 like this.
    04-01-14 09:13 PM
    If all you want is to remove permissions from apks, then use 'APK Permission Remover'. You can even remove apk components with the Pro version.

Permanently modifies the APK files.

A brand-new app just released this month. I hope it doesn't have malware in it. Also, see the following:

Cobalt is correct -- you can use apktool to unpack it, remove the permission(s) you wish to remove from the manifest, re-pack it and re-sign it.

However the app may break, of course.

The problem is that you can't easily TOGGLE the permissions. That is something IMHO you should be able to do.

Personally I just think BlackBerry should update their runtime to 4.3 or later where I am under the impression they can still use "App Ops" because it is not removed, just "hidden".

04-01-14 09:35 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140402_021331.png 
Views:	5858 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	260114

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    Tried but it doesn't work for me

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 01:29 AM
    Looks like fellow swiss hackers found a vulnerability in qconn. I use qconn myself in my Blackberry Runtime logger. Should have known, that this would be a good place to start to root the device ;-)

But as BB is aware of this, they will fix it.

http://www.modzero.ch/advisories/MZ-...-qconnDoor.txt
    jerryeight likes this.
    04-08-14 05:41 PM
    My BlackBerry Tunnel Creator uses it too. But seems BlackBerry has already resolved it.

Maybe I'm going to update my client

However, thanks for your information!

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 01:23 AM
    Looks like fellow swiss hackers found a vulnerability in qconn. I use qconn myself in my Blackberry Runtime logger. Should have known, that this would be a good place to start to root the device ;-)

But as BB is aware of this, they will fix it.

http://www.modzero.ch/advisories/MZ-...-qconnDoor.txt
    Very interesting. Now to see if experienced hackers will work on this. It is very easy to come by a 10.1 blackberry phone....

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 12:05 AM
    Hi guys!

BB 10.2.1 seems is getting released, but there's all around a large number of leaks; then, my idea is a bit "leak-oriented"

Well, actually, I'd like to root (or at least to try it) the Android Runtime on BB 10.2.1 so we can remove app permissions (runtime is still unlocked, isn't it?).
    Well, let's start from this old thread:
    [BrainFart] Modify sys.android.bar for root and Google fw - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    Their problem was: we cannot signing it. Maybe I have got the solution: we don't need to sign it again, just change SHA-512 hashes in /META-INF/AUTHOR.SF, /META-INF/MANIFEST.MF and /META-INF/RDK.SF (open Android Runtime .bar file with WinRAR o similar ). Would someone try it out? Now I can't because I'm working on another application (it will allow users to remotely-connect to their BB throught SSH, I am going to release it in a few days I hope) and I have no time left.

Let me know

Samuele
    You can use Ghost Commander to stop notifications on Android apps...

Trusted Member Genius
    04-10-14 03:37 PM
    ZiiduVd,jJhG vt

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 04:01 PM
    wow...BB is really,really,actually mindflingingly secure
    04-10-14 06:06 PM
    You can use Ghost Commander to stop notifications on Android apps...

Trusted Member Genius
    We're not talking about notifications, we're talking about app permissions like access to the camera, stored files, phone, etc...

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 01:08 AM
    The op talking about this , I remember that it was possible to remove the permission in an old version of the android runtime.
    Attached Thumbnails 10.2.1 - Root Android Runtime-img_20140411_101039.png  
    04-11-14 04:33 AM
    As far as I remember, you could look at the permissions but you could never change them.
    04-11-14 06:11 AM
100 1234