04-16-14 07:18 PM
100 1234
tools
    What Johney5 said is the way to go
    For those who misunderstood my previous statement, I'm not suggesting it's impossible, but that OP's method was
    There are so many layers of security BB has in place, so it's near impossible to do. I'm sure there's probably some loopholes
    You'd essentially need to exploit it once it's already on the device. Maybe send something to the android runtime that would then execute certain commands in the runtime to make modifications. Even then, I don't think the runtime has admin privileges, so I'm not sure if we would be able to access root.
    The other thought I've had but haven't tried yet, is if we modify the runtime itself so it is no longer a system file, but run it like another virtual machine. So essentially, for all android programs you use on a regular basis you could use the native runtime. For the processes where gsf is required, you would essentially bundle on the modified runtime as part of the app, and run it through that. So if you want to run Google Play, you modify the app of google play to start your modified runtime which is bundled in the bar file, which then boots the play store. I dunno how useful this would be though
    01-25-14 04:58 PM
    Seems the signing is too well done XD

What about rooting Android Layer at runtime? Is there a way for gaining root access in Android without accessing the bootrom?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 05:03 PM
    Seems the signing is too well done XD

What about rooting Android Layer at runtime? Is there a way for gaining root access in Android without accessing the bootrom?

Posted via CB10
    What Johney5 said got me thinking
    I'm not sure if we have enough privileges to run this
    But if after each boot we connect to PC to run the exploit and load over gsf to override the stub BB has placed in the runtime. So instead of hard editing it on storage which we don't have permissions for, maybe use devuser privileges to start gsf. I know devs now have the ability when building apps to run it live on their devices even without compiling, so maybe exploit this?
    Sorta just like iOS tethered jailbreak. However they can run the exploit on boot, we can't. So it may not be possible
    I'm messaging someone who would know. I'll post back if it's possible
    01-25-14 05:05 PM
    If you guys want to mess around with the Android Runtime, you may want to use my Blackberry Android Runtime Logger. Just released v1.5 with ssh shell support and the ability to pull and push files from and to the android runtime.

Downloadlink is in my signature.
    01-25-14 07:09 PM
    I like where this is going. Subscribed.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    01-25-14 08:00 PM
    If you guys want to mess around with the Android Runtime, you may want to use my Blackberry Android Runtime Logger. Just released v1.5 with ssh shell support and the ability to pull and push files from and to the android runtime.

Basically this.

Should provide a decent overview. Good luck people!

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 08:21 PM
    I don't think the runtime has admin privileges, so I'm not sure if we would be able to access root.
    I'm pretty sure you're right there.
    The other thought I've had but haven't tried yet, is if we modify the runtime itself so it is no longer a system file, but run it like another virtual machine.
    I tried that, the runtime doesn't get set up right if it has a different package name and won't run. I assume it has something to do with the need for the /data and /system symbolic links at the device file system root.
    01-25-14 08:26 PM

Interesting, I hadn't heard of this
    You can push files to the runtime? Any file? Maybe su?
    01-25-14 08:27 PM
    No. /system is not writeable.
    01-25-14 09:25 PM
    Bump. Just making sure this hasn't been forgotten lol.

01-26-14 12:49 PM
    what unlocked runtime are you guys using for reference?
    01-26-14 03:27 PM
    what unlocked runtime are you guys using for reference?
    I would guess the latest from 1925. It is the most robust and the most open.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 05:46 PM
    Hi guys!

BB 10.2.1 seems is getting released, but there's all around a large number of leaks; then, my idea is a bit "leak-oriented"

Well, actually, I'd like to root (or at least to try it) the Android Runtime on BB 10.2.1 so we can remove app permissions (runtime is still unlocked, isn't it?).
    Well, let's start from this old thread:
    [BrainFart] Modify sys.android.bar for root and Google fw - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    Their problem was: we cannot signing it. Maybe I have got the solution: we don't need to sign it again, just change SHA-512 hashes in /META-INF/AUTHOR.SF, /META-INF/MANIFEST.MF and /META-INF/RDK.SF (open Android Runtime .bar file with WinRAR o similar ). Would someone try it out? Now I can't because I'm working on another application (it will allow users to remotely-connect to their BB throught SSH, I am going to release it in a few days I hope) and I have no time left.

Let me know

Samuele
    If you want a little control over apps, try Ghost Commander...you can stop some apps from a bunch of unwanted notifications. I'm not too sure what else you can do but check it out...

Trusted Member Genius
    01-26-14 05:57 PM
    this is beyond my imagination... so now i feel dizzy reading all these -.-!
    01-27-14 09:33 AM
    There's no way other than BlackBerry bringing root....the changes have to made to the birth the bar files at BlackBerry Dev team :P

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 09:49 AM
    Hi
    As promised, here's BlackBerry Tunnel Creator (SSH Connect to BlackBerry).
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...kberry-897592/

Now I have to go, but I'll come back later.

Let me know!!!
    01-27-14 10:55 AM
    Ok, I'm back.

Well, I've posted the application and I hope it will be usefull, but now I think we should focus on the Android side.

I specify (seems there's still a bit of cunfusion ) I want to root the Android Runtime because I want to be able to remove permissions to Android applications. So, now I'm gonna try BlackBerry Android Runtime Logger and see what I can do.

Let me know about your strategies

Samuele
    01-27-14 12:18 PM
    As I'm not savvy enough to contribute anything useful, I'm here to encourage you guys with the technical know-how. I believe something is possible here.

01-27-14 12:40 PM
    Ok, I'm back.

Well, I've posted the application and I hope it will be usefull, but now I think we should focus on the Android side.

I specify (seems there's still a bit of cunfusion ) I want to root the Android Runtime because I want to be able to remove permissions to Android applications. So, now I'm gonna try BlackBerry Android Runtime Logger and see what I can do.

Let me know about your strategies

Samuele
    Samuele, I just need to understand one more thing. What exactly do you mean by 'removing permissions to android applications'?
    01-27-14 01:19 PM
    Samuele, I just need to understand one more thing. What exactly do you mean by 'removing permissions to android applications'?
    I mean: you know most of Android applications requires access to a lot "permissions" such as GPS, camera, contacts, email, network even if they wouldn't need them. Well, I want to remove this permessions as I do with native ones from Options >> "Protection and Privacy" (in italian is different XD) >> App Authorizations.

I don't know if you understood (if not I can repeat, no problem ).

Maybe another hint could be remove this permissions directly from the .apk file (I think there's something like MANIFEST in .bar files).

By the time, I apologize for my bad English

See you!
    01-27-14 02:19 PM
    I now unterstand your intention. Removing permissions is not really a problem. You can decompile any apk and remove unwanted permissions with apktool.

Just remember that some apps may not work anymore If you remove permissions.

So there's no need to hack the runtime to do what you want to do.

Posted via CB10
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-27-14 03:39 PM
    The most easiest way would be if BlackBerry could update Android runtime to 4.3.x or 4.4.x and expose hidden app & privacy settings which allows per app permissions settings.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 03:59 PM
    Cobalt is correct -- you can use apktool to unpack it, remove the permission(s) you wish to remove from the manifest, re-pack it and re-sign it.

However the app may break, of course.

The problem is that you can't easily TOGGLE the permissions. That is something IMHO you should be able to do.
    01-27-14 04:18 PM
    The most easiest way would be if BlackBerry could update Android runtime to 4.3.x or 4.4.x and expose hidden app & privacy settings which allows per app permissions settings.
    I'm pretty sure that the tool that Google included for a while with 4.3 and above to selectively control app permissions was removed in later builds with the excuse it was "only for testing".
    01-27-14 06:56 PM
    That's exatly the reason why I wanted to root Android runtimme, because you can toggle app permissions and it's a bit hard to do it with other tools that wants to decompile-edit-repack apks.

But there are also other things we could do if we rooted Android Runtime.

Now I'm not an Android expert (neither an user, actually), I'm just a programmer and I.T. Student, but I think there's a way for doing it. Do you know if, in the finals release of BB 10.2.1, runtime will be unlocked?
    01-28-14 02:16 AM
100 1234