I am wondering what all of your thoughts are on this topic, now that we can use .apk files without converting.
    Sure, ported apps in BBWorld are still easier to get, but often they are one or more versions behind their Android counterpart. Or would these ported apps actually work better on BB10 devices?
    What apps will you still get from BBWorld, and for which apps do you prefer the Android version?
    Skype, Task Manager and Ghost Commander. Of all my ported apps I only feel like those have really been optimized for BB10. The rest just feels like a straight port, so I might as well get the latest Android version.
    11-12-13 06:08 AM
    Can some please confirm if Viber and Tango works? I think BB has done a great job in directly installing the .apk file. Its as simple as downloading the apk from the web and installing it directly. I just hope all apps work well.
    11-12-13 06:14 AM
    When the porting is done well, the Android-based apps in BlackBerry World are optimized for BlackBerry devices (for example, the UI is modified in order to cope with the lack of the back button, or with a square screen for the Q phones).

Installing *.apk files directly makes the install process easier (and the piracy as well), but cannot solve this kind of issues. Developers themselves still have to adapt the apps to BlackBerry phones in order for those apps to work well. Otherwise, the user experience will not be that great.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for Z30, Z10, Q10, Q5
    11-12-13 06:17 AM
    If its not in BB world then the majority of BB owners wont be downloading it. Just because its slightly easier to install doesnt change the situation. We dont even know what will happen when its time for official OS release comes around
    11-12-13 06:26 AM
    If its not in BB world then the majority of BB owners wont be downloading it. Just because its slightly easier to install doesnt change the situation. We dont even know what will happen when its time for official OS release comes around
    Agreed. I tend to use native only and not even ported apps from BlackBerry World. If a dev wants my business they need to write the app native.

Sent from my Mind Controlled BerryLeak Hybrid running 10.2.x.xxx while drunk
    soarest likes this.
    11-12-13 08:19 AM
    I understand that, of course the preference is always for native apps. I'm just talking about specific examples here, like the eBay app:
    They ported that one to BBWorld, but when you run it you even get a notification that the Android version has been updated. So you can still use the BBWorld version, but you know the .apk is a higher version.
    If the app does not have any added UI optimizing, loading the .apk version seems smarter now because you know they will be updated more.
    11-12-13 08:32 AM