06-14-14 09:23 PM
338 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Can you ask your it folks what ActiveSync policy settings are being pushed to your device?

Also have you run a successful test using the remote connectivity analyzer link?

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I did run the test on my phone and said it failed due to http authentication.

Any reason why my PlayBook gets emails and tests ok and not the phone? I will talk to IT this week and try to get details. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 11:15 AM
    I did run the test on my phone and said it failed due to http authentication.

Any reason why my PlayBook gets emails and tests ok and not the phone? I will talk to IT this week and try to get details. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Can you cut and paste the exact error?

03-02-14 12:05 PM
    Can you cut and paste the exact error?

This is what I get :

Testing HTTP Authentication Methods for URL https://webmail.company-ingredients. Com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync. The HTTP authentication test failed

What is weird is my email address is username@company-food.com. The error shows the address tested as company-ingredients.com. The difference being the "- food" vs. "-ingredients". Not sure if that change post hyphen is screwing things up.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:27 PM
    Checked this morning and the setup screen had a message "your device is not connected to a network. Please connect to a network and try again".

I am connected to a network and received Yahoo mails over the last several hours.

I don't recall you mentioning, but that can be a symptom of being activated on a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) that is restricting your network connection method:

KB34522-"Your device is not connected to a network. Connect to a network and try again." when attempting to activate a BlackBerry 10 smartphone
    03-02-14 03:46 PM
    This is what I get :

Testing HTTP Authentication Methods for URL https://webmail.company-ingredients. Com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync. The HTTP authentication test failed

What is weird is my email address is username@company-food.com. The error shows the address tested as company-ingredients.com. The difference being the "- food" vs. "-ingredients". Not sure if that change post hyphen is screwing things up.

HotFix has more experience on this than I, but I'm guessing your company's autodiscover record is overriding the domain there.
    03-02-14 03:51 PM
    Thanks. I will ask IT and see if they can help. Saw in a different forum the same issue and there are 3 potential solutions people found that works.

1)upgrade to exchange 2010 which won't happen with my company (found out ours is 2003).

2)buy Samsung or iPhone, which people said the issue went away immediately.

3)spend 2-3 hours with BlackBerry tech support to trouble shoot the server. Don't see that happening with me being the only BB10 user.

Thanks for the suggestions, but afraid if IT won't fix I need to get a non-blackberry phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 12:42 PM
    ...there are 3 potential solutions people found that works.

1)upgrade to exchange 2010 which won't happen with my company (found out ours is 2003).

Really, that's dumb on their part. It's been known for years that Microsoft will stop supporting Exchange 2003 in April 2014. There are all sorts of problems with its EAS implementation.

Here is a Microsoft document from 2011 on it:

Time to Move from Exchange 2003

And I would not hold your breath about other platforms fixing this issue - when a product goes out of support, major vendors will not support it because if a problem does crop up, they can't get any support from Microsoft to fix or troubleshoot it.
    03-05-14 03:23 PM
    Update: exchange is 2007 SP 3. Was told incorrectly.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 03:29 PM
    Update: exchange is 2007 SP 3. Was told incorrectly.

Well that's somewhat better. 2007 is no longer in "mainstream support", but it is in "extended support" phase, at least, until 2017.

And it doesn't have some of the more severe EAS interoperability issues 2003 has.
    03-05-14 03:36 PM
    HotFix has more experience on this than I, but I'm guessing your company's autodiscover record is overriding the domain there.

Here's the documentation on that:

KB35215-The server address of an ActiveSync email profile on a BlackBerry 10 smartphone changes unexpectedly
    03-06-14 03:47 AM
    Yeah the delay's still there. Up to 45 minutes for me. Used to be up to 2 hours, so this is better, but still bad.

BlackBerry still working on it. No solution identified as of the beginning of this week.

Posted via CB10
    Jonty,
    Do you have any bug #s or anything like that which you are using to track these two bugs with BlackBerry?
    I have a co-worker who has customers who are experiencing both the massive delays (which still isn't fixed) and the PIN re-prompt/account wipe if you don't get it in time. They are looking for something official to track both issues with BlackBerry.
    I know the PIN issue is resolved with the latest update, but the customer is hesitant to update their company phones outside of their carrier.

Either way if you have bug #s to share that would be awesome.

03-07-14 07:30 AM
    Jonty,
    Do you have any bug #s or anything like that which you are using to track these two bugs with BlackBerry?
    I have a co-worker who has customers who are experiencing both the massive delays (which still isn't fixed) and the PIN re-prompt/account wipe if you don't get it in time. They are looking for something official to track both issues with BlackBerry.
    I know the PIN issue is resolved with the latest update, but the customer is hesitant to update their company phones outside of their carrier.

Either way if you have bug #s to share that would be awesome.

I found one for the second password prompt issue, but would still appreciate something to reference the 10.2.1.XXXX ActiveSync delays.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB35672

03-07-14 02:23 PM
    Spoke with IT and he had same issue as me with Z10. He switched to iPhone and it works. He has no suggestions and doesn't manage the servers.

Was on blackberry support forums and other folks have the issue with older exchange servers (2003 and 2007). Tried several suggestions to no avail. Unfortunately, need a different phone. Hopefully, blackberry knows about this and can fix. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 06:27 PM
    Spoke with IT and he had same issue as me with Z10. He switched to iPhone and it works. He has no suggestions and doesn't manage the servers.

Was on blackberry support forums and other folks have the issue with older exchange servers (2003 and 2007). Tried several suggestions to no avail. Unfortunately, need a different phone. Hopefully, blackberry knows about this and can fix. Thanks for the suggestions.

The fact that the iPhone works and the BB10 device does not does not necessarily mean there is something wrong with the BB10 device.

Among other things, MS Exchange servers can be configured to block specific sorts of devices from connecting via EAS. I have a funny feeling a lot of these "mysterious" errors are simply because whoever runs the infrastructure has locked-down the server to certain device platforms and never bothered to let anyone know about this, thinking it "impossible" that anyone might try to use something other than an iOS or Android device to connect.

Preventing New ActiveSync Devices from Connecting to Exchange 2010

Provisioning, policies, remote wipe, and the Allow/Block/Quarantine list in Exchange ActiveSync
    03-08-14 06:37 AM
    The fact that the iPhone works and the BB10 device does not does not necessarily mean there is something wrong with the BB10 device.

Among other things, MS Exchange servers can be configured to block specific sorts of devices from connecting via EAS. I have a funny feeling a lot of these "mysterious" errors are simply because whoever runs the infrastructure has locked-down the server to certain device platforms and never bothered to let anyone know about this, thinking it "impossible" that anyone might try to use something other than an iOS or Android device to connect.

Preventing New ActiveSync Devices from Connecting to Exchange 2010

Provisioning, policies, remote wipe, and the Allow/Block/Quarantine list in Exchange ActiveSync
    I agree with Omnitech that it is more likely something with your environment.

Speaking as a person who has built and managed multiple Exchange systems that leverage ActiveSync over the years, there is nothing specific to BlackBerry 10 devices that would prevent them from working with Exchange ActiveSync. My Z10 has worked with 4 different Exchange systems (one through a BES 10 connection), and now with Office365 (which is really just Exchange 2013).

You keep mentioning you are working with an IT person but that the IT person doesn't know much about the Exchange environment. Therefore I humbly suggest you bypass this person and start talking to the individuals who run your Exchange environment and get their assistance in troubleshooting your issues. If you don't get help from those who know your environment, then you are likely to continue beating your head against a wall. Pose the question to them as to why the iPhone works and the BlackBerry 10 device does not.

03-08-14 06:49 AM
    I agree with Omnitech that it is more likely something with your environment.

Speaking as a person who has built and managed multiple Exchange systems that leverage ActiveSync over the years, there is nothing specific to BlackBerry 10 devices that would prevent them from working with Exchange ActiveSync. My Z10 has worked with 4 different Exchange systems (one through a BES 10 connection), and now with Office365 (which is really just Exchange 2013).

You keep mentioning you are working with an IT person but that the IT person doesn't know much about the Exchange environment. Therefore I humbly suggest you bypass this person and start talking to the individuals who run your Exchange environment and get their assistance in troubleshooting your issues. If you don't get help from those who know your environment, then you are likely to continue beating your head against a wall. Pose the question to them as to why the iPhone works and the BlackBerry 10 device does not.

I will ask IT again. I was told that the exchange is managed by a 3rd party. Unfortunately, I don't have time to chase this down. Hoping email just works.

Any ideas why my PlayBook works fine? If exchange isn't set up for BlackBerry and only for iPhone etc why is the PlayBook working? I can even bridge with the Z30 to PlayBook and send emails to my work account from Yahoo. I get the emails on the PlayBook and not on my Z30.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will forward your suggestions to IT and hopefully they trickle down to someone who can help.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 09:06 AM
    I will ask IT again. I was told that the exchange is managed by a 3rd party. Unfortunately, I don't have time to chase this down. Hoping email just works.

Any ideas why my PlayBook works fine? If exchange isn't set up for BlackBerry and only for iPhone etc why is the PlayBook working? I can even bridge with the Z30 to PlayBook and send emails to my work account from Yahoo. I get the emails on the PlayBook and not on my Z30.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will forward your suggestions to IT and hopefully they trickle down to someone who can help.

Posted via CB10
    I have no idea why PlayBook or iPhone devices are working but BlackBerry 10 is not. Technically speaking PlayBook devices would not show up as BlackBerry 10 devices as they use a different code fork of QNX, and it may be something as simple as that.

I have no experience with PlayBook devices to tell you of their ActiveSync implementation is 100% the same as the BlackBerry 10 devices.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925
    03-08-14 09:26 AM
    Any ideas why my PlayBook works fine? If exchange isn't set up for BlackBerry and only for iPhone etc why is the PlayBook working?

Are you sure the Playbook is connected to the server using Exchange ActiveSync, and not IMAP or POP3?

Because Exchange servers can support those protocols too, they just have to be enabled.
    03-08-14 10:55 AM
    Are you sure the Playbook is connected to the server using Exchange ActiveSync, and not IMAP or POP3?

Because Exchange servers can support those protocols too, they just have to be enabled.
    Yes. I set it up via advanced settings in the exchange option with domain, user name, email address, server address and password etc.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 01:24 PM
    Yes. I set it up via advanced settings in the exchange option with domain, user name, email address, server address and password etc.

Thanks.

Do you know if your email provider uses certificate-based authentication?

That's a known issue with BB10 I believe.
    03-08-14 07:27 PM
    Thanks.

Do you know if your email provider uses certificate-based authentication?

That's a known issue with BB10 I believe.
    I believe they so use a certificate. Some Geo trust cert. I get a message popping up once in a a while when I set up mail if I trust that cert.

Posted via CB10
    lokken likes this.
    03-08-14 07:44 PM
    I believe they so use a certificate. Some Geo trust cert. I get a message popping up once in a a while when I set up mail if I trust that cert.

Well I'm not an expert on it because I'm not an MS Exchange admin but I believe BB10 does not support certificate-based authentication.

Bear in mind that a certificate can be used for many things. What I'm talking about are when an MS Exchange server uses a user certificate as its method of identifying your device and allowing it to connect to their system.

Here is a discussion thread that covers it - I think the final conclusion was that it is not supported unless they're running a BES server:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...authentication

And here is a post where a person came to the conclusion based on information from BlackBerry Support that it will work, but requires manual certificate importation:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post9679547

But you should verify with your MS Exchange people if they use certificate-based authentication first before getting too worked up about this particular angle.
    03-10-14 06:50 AM
    I'll just throw this in for information's sake.

The BlackBerry PlayBook does in fact use a different implementation of ActiveSync. I don't know specifically what is different, but on the Playbook, it uses EAS Protocol version 14.0. The newer versions of BB10 support 14.1.
    I run MDaemon Messaging Server and over the last year have seen changes to BB10 that have either broken or fixed ActiveSync support or features.
    03-13-14 07:48 AM
    Has anyone tried the os 10.2.1.2228 released today by t-mobile to see if active sync is better

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 07:17 PM
    Loaded it this evening. On Verizon. Fingers crossed.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 08:28 PM
338 ... 7891011 ...