06-14-14 08:23 PM
338 ... 45678 ...
tools
    So no recognition by BlackBerry of the second bug -- the delayed email?

Posted via CB10
    Can someone provide the specifics of the delayed email issue, because I haven't noticed it at all? Is the scope narrowed, or is it expected to impact all EAS users, as with the password issue?

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 06:15 PM
    It is hit and miss. Example today Outlook on my PC and my Z10 had email roughly within 2 seconds of each other. This past weekend, 45 minutes apart. There is no trigger there is no rhyme or reason. You will likely only notice if you are expecting an email and it isn't showing up.

As a fun side note, today I missed my reset around 10am MST. It is roughly 6:20pm here now, only 695 of my 2200 plus contacts have resynced. This is a new one. I am starting to get more than a bit ticked off.
    02-11-14 07:24 PM
    Thanks for the update. What a disaster.

Slightly off topic, can anyone tell me how to roll back to 10.2.0 using Sachesi?

Posted via CB10
    A disaster? No... it's a bug with an ActiveSync policy setting they just implemented. It's annoying and a pain, but it's not a "disaster". :-)
    This stuff happens when you implement new security features designed by another vendor.

A disaster would be something like the device wiping your mailbox every time you rebooted your device. I think it would chuck my device in the trash then.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    02-11-14 08:08 PM
    I don't know if this helps, but when I go to bed I put the phone on bedside mode. And I configured it with automatic switch off and on of all radios. So when I reactivate, it asked me my password.
    If it doesn't help at least I'm not disturbed during the night and it preserves from (some) radio waves. I miss the old feature of automatic on and off of the device, but this is another subject I believe.

Also, I noticed that my signature disappeared on my Active Sync account. Reading the BlackBerry site, I understand that this is a known side effect. At least I know why it disappeared.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 03:03 AM
    A disaster? No... it's a bug with an ActiveSync policy setting they just implemented. It's annoying and a pain, but it's not a "disaster". :-)
    This stuff happens when you implement new security features designed by another vendor.

A disaster would be something like the device wiping your mailbox every time you rebooted your device. I think it would chuck my device in the trash then.

I would say it is a disaster. It does exactly that, wiping out contacts, calendar, email if the phone restarts and you can't catch the 30 second window when it starts back up. I travel for work pretty much every week and this is a disaster. Can't get much worse. (at least for me) HotFix, you have seen this issue from the get go and I'm surprised to hear you summarize the issue as "This stuff happens when you implement new security features designed by another vendor" For F sake, this is Active Sync and Exchange, the most common email system out there. Every other phone vendor implements it out there, you don't see the S4 or iPhone resetting your account information on Active Sync.

Come on now, don't be drinking or sharing that Kool-aide.
    02-12-14 07:19 AM
    I would say it is a disaster. It does exactly that, wiping out contacts, calendar, email if the phone restarts and you can't catch the 30 second window when it starts back up. I travel for work pretty much every week and this is a disaster. Can't get much worse. (at least for me) HotFix, you have seen this issue from the get go and I'm surprised to hear you summarize the issue as "This stuff happens when you implement new security features designed by another vendor" For F sake, this is Active Sync and Exchange, the most common email system out there. Every other phone vendor implements it out there, you don't see the S4 or iPhone resetting your account information on Active Sync.

Come on now, don't be drinking or sharing that Kool-aide.
    Sigh... no it doesn't wipe your your mailbox (the thing your device syncs the data to) at all. It wipes the data from your device which is an annoyance/inconvenience because you have to sync it again. The fact that you can easily remedy the situation is what makes it not a disaster. While I realize we are arguing semantics/opinions, if you consider this a disaster then I would hate to see you classify a bug where your actual mailbox gets wiped as that would truly be a major PITA. :-)

I have seen the issue from the get go? No... I only saw it once as of a week or so ago and I have been on 10.2.1 through two BETAs now. I don't see it on my home email system because I don't have a restrictive ActiveSync policy. I only saw it recently because I switched jobs and stopped using a BES for my work account and instead use a slightly more restrictive ActiveSync policy now which triggers this issue.

No you are right... no other vendors have had this specific issue. Instead they have other issues like the iPhone more than once bringing Exchange environments to their knees because Apple's ActiveSync implementation of something is screwed up.

A scenario where an iOS update is pushed to your users outside of your control and suddenly your email system dies is a disaster. A scenario where a user just has to pay attention to their device while it finishes rebooting to ensure they put in a password is not...

Sorry we seem to disagree on the severity of the situation.

02-12-14 09:38 PM
    Hotfix, so you're not experiencing this issue, but you're here arguing how serious it is? Good to know.

The average consumer does not read Crackberry or KB articles. If they have an EAS account, which many business users do, a simple power down/up or reboot causes the issue. If the user fails to enter a password twice within 30 seconds of power up, the device will delete all emails, contacts, calendar entries, etc. This is a big deal, perhaps even a disaster.

Software updates are supposed to make things better, not worse. This is new and didn't happen on previous builds.

Perhaps BlackBerry can reimburse the poor SOB's that accidentally reload entire mailboxes, contacts, calendar entries, etc. while roaming?

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 11:20 PM
    I would also put this is the disaster category from Blackberry's perspective and trust me - I'm not hating - I'm just waiting for them to fix this and the delayed mail issue so I can finally buy a Q10! But it's definitely a disaster when a Company that is on the brink and is absolutely dependent on its business users either delays mail delivery randomly or, even worse, causing the wipe and re-load issue. If you're willing to be honest about the impact this has on business users then you'll realize that business users' have 2 things that are most important to them: Reliability and their time. If you're going to screw with either of these then you're going to lose your most important user base. And that's exactly what is happening here.

So, in summary, it's absolutely a disaster - which can potentially be fixed if they are able to solve both of these issues AND they get carriers to download an updated version of 10.2.1 that includes this fix. BUT, if the carriers move forward with the 10.2.1 update as-is and then wait many months to download the next version with the fix then I guarantee you Blackberry will lose more business users, something that it clearly can't afford. If BB had full control over pushing updates to users then it would be a partial disaster. Right now it will turn into a full on disaster if they move forward pushing out 10.2.1 and have no control over when carriers will provide the next update...

Just my 2 cents. But here's to hoping these 2 issues are fixed VERY soon and are included with this update!
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-12-14 11:53 PM
    Sigh... no it doesn't wipe your your mailbox (the thing your device syncs the data to) at all. It wipes the data from your device which is an annoyance/inconvenience because you have to sync it again. The fact that you can easily remedy the situation is what makes it not a disaster. While I realize we are arguing semantics/opinions, if you consider this a disaster then I would hate to see you classify a bug where your actual mailbox gets wiped as that would truly be a major PITA. :-)

I have seen the issue from the get go? No... I only saw it once as of a week or so ago and I have been on 10.2.1 through two BETAs now. I don't see it on my home email system because I don't have a restrictive ActiveSync policy. I only saw it recently because I switched jobs and stopped using a BES for my work account and instead use a slightly more restrictive ActiveSync policy now which triggers this issue.

No you are right... no other vendors have had this specific issue. Instead they have other issues like the iPhone more than once bringing Exchange environments to their knees because Apple's ActiveSync implementation of something is screwed up.

A scenario where an iOS update is pushed to your users outside of your control and suddenly your email system dies is a disaster. A scenario where a user just has to pay attention to their device while it finishes rebooting to ensure they put in a password is not...

Sorry we seem to disagree on the severity of the situation.

You're killing me. Really? First, we know it doesn't permanently wipe, no one has said it does however turning on your phone again after plugging in and realizing all your data is gone for the next half hour to 45 minutes (if you are lucky) is crap. Naturally this is when Murphy's Law kicks in and you need a contact number, address, or an email. Heck, it even removes the names on the call list so you have to guess about which number you need to call back (these days I can't recognize anyone's phone number let alone all the numbers from my company which is based in a different state) Think about being in a car in a city different than your own. No address or phone number to get to your client's place or being able to contact them, yep disaster. Please stop with the minor inconvenience BS. I have to watch the phone like a hawk to be sure it doesn't reset in case it will shut down where I can't do anything about it. Trust me, my bag is filled with goodies like a car, ac, pc, and an external battery pack charger but I still manage to end up in situations where the booger resets.

As to a "slightly restrictive policy", our IT dept requires the PIN to give the phone a bit of security. Very common practice. I did ask them to create a temporary policy for me requiring no phone PIN but they basically laughed. I guess if I was in there position I would too. We have Samsung, Apple, and Blackberry deployed (and older blackberry's on the old BES) and no one else has this issue. It is not a "restrictive" policy, it's common sense and deployed across millions of users world wide.

Hate to tell you this but our Pres and two VPs have been on Apple the last 2 years I believe, they haven't experienced an Active Sync issue, or lost their email box, even temporarily. Samsung, no issues there, Motorola, no issues there, etc. To be honest I really don't care about the other companies as I have a Blackberry. I can understand Blackberry had an issue on 2 releases of leaked betas which I experienced but now they rolled it out to carriers knowing their official release contains the wipe and email delivery delay bugs. Who does that?

Anyhow, you seem like a decent and intelligent guy but try not to trivialize the issue if you don't have the full experience or impact affecting you. Probably not a good time to chime in when others who experience this and truly depend on their phone beyond a trip from the house to the office view this as a major issue.
    Last edited by zipped; 02-13-14 at 12:29 PM.
    02-13-14 09:19 AM
    I have Z30 on Verizon and trying to connect to Microsoft Exchange for work and get error:

Invalid\escape: line 1 column 190 (char190).

What is this?? Thanks.

IT can't figure out.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 10:48 AM
    I have Z30 on Verizon and trying to connect to Microsoft Exchange for work and get error:

Invalid\escape: line 1 column 190 (char190).

What is this?? Thanks.

IT can't figure out.

Posted via CB10
    Change your exchange pw and use different special characters or do not use special characters. I have seen this before and doing one othe above should fix
    chrisru likes this.
    02-13-14 11:31 AM
    I work remotely from my home with the corporate office located on the right coast. Since the 10.2 leak I've had the same connection problems regarding our mail server. I was able to finally get all working after I learned the office rebooted the server. Well now other non related issue came up where I had to change my company password and low and behold I now can't access the server after many attempts to add the work mail account with the new password. I am asking the home office to reboot the server to see of I can get back in. This is and has been a truly frustrating situation for those like myself who travel and depend on these BBRY "Smart" phones to work. If BBRY is aware and has the bullet proof fix then they should get it out immediately and quit screwing around. These issues affect more than just their livelihoods. Dealing with these issues is a severe distraction that takes away from business productivity which is supposed to be the "KEY" segment of this companies "CORE" competency.

Posted via CB10
    zipped likes this.
    02-13-14 12:21 PM
    Change your exchange pw and use different special characters or do not use special characters. I have seen this before and doing one othe above should fix
    That worked. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 05:34 PM
    Wow... people apparently can't read...

YES I am experiencing the issue now and said as much a couple of times. It only started recently as I switched companies and when from using a BES with an open ActiveSync policy to a company that has a somewhat restrictive policy. Somewhat restrictive means they enforce a few settings but not going so far as to disable features and functions on my phone or lock it down.

Again... an individual end user inconvenience that has a remediation is annoying as hell but is not the end of the world / a disaster. Anyone who suggests otherwise has have never had an email system for tens of thousands of users start crashing because an iOS update messed up ActiveSync and subsequently the entire email system . That is a disaster and a REALLY bad day when the villagers are at your door en mass with pitch forks and torches. :-)

Again sorry we disagree on the severity. I am coming at this from an Enterprise perspective that I guess is different than the others here.

Last edited by HotFix; 02-13-14 at 10:41 PM.
    02-13-14 07:17 PM
    FYI, 10.2.1.2102, which a CB member seems to have accidentally got for his Z30, includes the "subset error" fix.
    02-13-14 10:17 PM
    I was SO annoyed with the Active Sync issue, but used the trick with going Flight Mode before device reset. It works fine for me, and I don't loose the contents of my AS account anymore.

Yes, a 'trick' rather than a 'fix'. No, it's not laborious at all to implement. Yes, it works. I stopped moaning.

STL100-2 10.2.1.1925 & PB LTE 32
    HotFix likes this.
    02-14-14 04:05 AM
    Can we please focus in on the activesync/security password issue instead of inviting one-off Exchange problems on 10.2, please?

I have this exact issue. Reboot. Punch in pin twice. IT requires four digit pin which is fine. Reloads all exchange data. Slow, battery draining process. Hoping for a fix quick.
    02-14-14 12:30 PM
    Can we please focus in on the activesync/security password issue instead of inviting one-off Exchange problems on 10.2, please?

I have this exact issue. Reboot. Punch in pin twice. IT requires four digit pin which is fine. Reloads all exchange data. Slow, battery draining process. Hoping for a fix quick.
    The release that came out today on (10.2.1.2141) has the fix for this problem. Check out the threads with instructions/links for download/install.

I'll verify the fix later today, but according the BB it's in this release.
    TPS_Report, Overlake and zipped like this.
    02-14-14 12:41 PM
    Installed update but it is resyncing after reboot. So does it mean not resolved or one resyncing to repair bug?

Edit:
    Did not get password to put in and second reboot the exchange accounts did not wipe to resync from scratch

So probably solved?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Henri-Philippe Verschoore; 02-14-14 at 04:17 PM.
    02-14-14 03:31 PM
    Installed update but it is resyncing after reboot. So does it mean not resolved or one resyncing to repair bug?

Posted via CB10
    That sucks!
    02-14-14 03:48 PM

Edit:
    Did not get password to put in and second reboot the exchange accounts did not wipe to resync from scratch

So probably solved?

Posted via CB10
    I also upgraded to the newest release today (10.2.1.2141) and I've rebooted 3 times since the update. I haven't had the issue show up. If I remember right, in the past after an OS update it has asked me to enter in my account passwords after the first reboot for my EAS and Gmail accounts and it will do sync or a check of changes after. I noticed in this update that text conversations were missing the contact names, but after a few minutes, the correct names appeared. Hopefully that is what you got too, a new OS update account sync/check of things and not that the issue is not resolved.
    zipped likes this.
    02-14-14 05:17 PM

Edit:

So probably solved?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, that's what I got. No second password request and no account drop. Seems to be fixed.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 05:18 PM
    Yeah, that's what I got. No second password request and no account drop. Seems to be fixed.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for following up on this Jonty!

02-14-14 05:28 PM
    Thanks for the updates. Fantastic news re. the 10.2.1.2141 fix. I have 2 questions regarding the fix:

1) Does anyone have a link to a list of fixes in 2141? I'm curious to read what they say about the EAS fix - thanks.
    2) Is the OTHER problem identified in this thread also fixed regarding the delayed e-mail delivery. Per one of the users in this thread, BB had identified a fix for the reboot but NOT for the delayed mail delivery. I'm waiting until the delayed e-mail delivery is resolved (and until VZW releases the 2141 fix) before buying a Q10 so I'm eagerly awaiting feedback from users on this - thanks very much!

Jeremy
    02-14-14 06:27 PM
    Does anyone have a link to a list of fixes in 2141? I'm curious to read what they say about the EAS fix - thanks.

Unfortunately BlackBerry has never published changelogs for BB10, only some general abstract overview blog posts every once in a while.

I am crowdsourcing what I can about 10.2.1.2141 here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...veries-905611/
    02-15-14 05:59 AM
338 ... 45678 ...