06-14-14 08:23 PM
338 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I think Blackberry is just demonstrating that they are not able to produce a stable, working product... It is unbelievable that they would roll out an update with such a problem.
    riiigggghht. listen, the pros of 10.2.1.1925 outweighs the cons of this particular issue. BBRY is aware of it. you have options, either rollback to a previous OS, talk to your email adminstrator or wait.
    01-30-14 02:53 PM
    riiigggghht. listen, the pros of 10.2.1.1925 outweighs the cons of this particular issue. BBRY is aware of it. you have options, either rollback to a previous OS, talk to your email adminstrator or wait.
    I think you're missing the fact that this issue didn't exist on BlackBerry devices until now. If I remember correctly I was using Exchange e-mail way back on my Pearl, then on my Pearl 3G and Bold 9930... easy access to a flashlight, changing the white balance of the screen's colors, or more easily loading Candy Crush does not outweigh the cons of never receiving your vital work e-mails.
    bvn007 likes this.
    01-30-14 05:02 PM
    I'm not missing any facts. I've been a BES admin since 2004 and have had a bb since 2000. The difference is BB10 is now using active sync which the legacy devices didnt. There's a difference on how the 2 OS's communicate with Exchange. Since you've been using a Pearl, you shouldve known that.
    01-30-14 05:30 PM
    I have been looking forward to 10.2.1 - so much so that I have literally held off re-buying a Verizon Q10 until the official 10.2.1 was confirmed to be received by Verizon users (I'm talking months of tracking this), as I have been using a Motorola Q9c w/extended battery since 2009 and I'm looking forward to getting the Q10. I even already bought the extended battery for it and it's sitting on my desk waiting for 10.2.1 (4400 mAh)! And, to answer some questions, I did give the Q10 when it first came out with Verizon but had some major issues with it. Most notably, the battery didn't last a full day for me due to the 3-4 hrs of talk time I use everyday + Exchange Push, so the Q10 just wasn't an option for me. But, more importantly, a lot of the features in 10.2.1 solve a lot of the problems I originally reported so I figured I would take the plunge again as soon as 10.2.1 was officially released. If you search on my name you'll see a pretty comprehensive Pro/Con review I wrote up mid-2013 that explained why I was returning the Q10 and waiting for an extended battery to be released + future software updates.

Anyhow, so after waiting for months for 10.2.1 to be released I see that many of you are having the ActiveSync issue and it's not clear whether it will cause a problem for me? I use a cloud service that hosts my e-mail on an Exchange 2007 Server so I clearly can't get them to change password policies, etc. So here's my question: Does EVERYONE using ActiveSync with Exchange now have the reported issues or is it just a particular version of Exchange Server and/or a particular setup on the server that is causing these problems and/or something to do with Picture Password (which I would be happy to not use if it avoid the problems)? I'm asking because I don't want to wait to buy the Q10 (once Verizon officially releases the update next week) but I also don't want to buy it if I'm going to have major ActiveSync problems, as I'm just too busy for that and my Motorola Q9c is 100% reliable (albeit it VERY slow!).

Any thoughts/feedback? Sorry for the bother but I have read the entire thread and it's stil not clear to me what is causing the issue(s). Thanks in advance - I sincerely appreciate it.

Jeremy
    I can't advise what combinations cause the issue but can say it is still worth putting up with it to use the new OS. It only causes a problem after a reboot and the OS is very stable so unexpected reboots are very rare.

If you are doing a planned reboot just make sure you enter your password as required ASAP after the reboot and you won't have the issue. You could even turn on airplane mode before the reboot so you can control when it prompts after reboot.

A minor inconvenience compared to the benefits of the new OS.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    01-30-14 06:01 PM
    I have delayed emails from my exchange server since loading the update to 10.2.1. Some emails come quickly after they are sent but others take almost 30 minutes. And then when they do come late, they are bunched together. I am surprised this flaw has not gotten more attention as BlackBerry is marketing itself to corporate users, many which likely use exchange.

Posted via CB10
    bvn007 and zipped like this.
    01-30-14 07:54 PM
    Is the new messages delay issue a common issue on 10.2.1? The reboot issue doesn't seem that bad, assuming it rarely reboots, but the mail delay could be a big problem...
    01-31-14 01:49 AM
    Based on a sample size of 1, I may have found a work around for this issue.

I shut down my phone in airplane mode, then replaced the battery and restarted. I waited for a couple of minutes after the Hub became available, then turned off airplane mode (only 3G available).

Although I was asked to enter my device password, the complete Exchange re sync was avoided.

I will repeat next time I have to restart. In the meantime, would be interested to hear if this works for anyone else.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for this simple, yet terrifically smart workaround!
    01-31-14 05:33 AM
    I have delayed emails from my exchange server since loading the update to 10.2.1. Some emails come quickly after they are sent but others take almost 30 minutes. And then when they do come late, they are bunched together. I am surprised this flaw has not gotten more attention as BlackBerry is marketing itself to corporate users, many which likely use exchange.

Posted via CB10
    This is the "other" big 10.2.1 issue. BlackBerry are working on it. I'll check on progress today, but as of my last update last week they didn't have an answer yet. There was a similar issue on 10.1 prior to the MR release and they got it fixed quickly for the MR.

Thankfully it's not as bad as the last "delay" which was sometimes more than 24 hours.

As more EAS companies get on 10.2.1 it's going to be a major issue for them.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 06:16 AM
    I have rolled back... the problem is that there is no official way of rolling back. I used the "leaked 10.2.0"... but I can't restore any backup (even the last one created under 10.2.0) because "the backup was created using an incompatible version". Would appreciate a better solution from you guys... if there is one.

I still can't belive that despite BlackBerry's current uncertain situation, they afford to release distributions with such unnancounced bugs... I'm sure I'm not the only user getting fed up...

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 01:09 PM
    Just looking for some advice. I luv the bb q10 on 10.2.0.429. Exchange works great. Does everyone has problems with delay in mails using new 10.2.1 via exchange? If not i would like to give the new os a shot. If it would not work out, is there a simple way to revert ack to .429. Any pointers how to do it easily would be lore than welcome. Thx from a strictly corporate user looking to install lync via apk, since bar does not work, thx
    01-31-14 03:09 PM
    Just looking for some advice. I luv the bb q10 on 10.2.0.429. Exchange works great. Does everyone has problems with delay in mails using new 10.2.1 via exchange? If not i would like to give the new os a shot. If it would not work out, is there a simple way to revert ack to .429. Any pointers how to do it easily would be lore than welcome. Thx from a strictly corporate user looking to install lync via apk, since bar does not work, thx
    I haven't had a positive experinace with 10.2.1. The apk install is absolutely phenomenal, but for me the unstable activesync was a deal breaker. I travel a lot for business (internationally) and can not afford to not have a usable phone.

I downgraded using a leaked autoloader, but was unable to restore my old backup (made on my old 10.2.0), so now it's like having a completely new balckberry...

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 06:43 PM
    I've been running 10.2.1 through various leaks and official betas. The reboot issue with latest release is definitely annoying, but I cant say I've seen any form of mail delay issues, though I'm running GroupWise not exchange.

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    01-31-14 08:28 PM
    I have rolled back... the problem is that there is no official way of rolling back. I used the "leaked 10.2.0"... but I can't restore any backup (even the last one created under 10.2.0) because "the backup was created using an incompatible version". Would appreciate a better solution from you guys... if there is one.

It's not uncommon at all to not be able to restore any OS from a backup made on a later version because the earlier platform has no "knowledge" of changes made in the future and thus no way of accomodating data in formats that were not known when the older OS was released.

What should normally be done is make a backup before doing any major OS update. Then the only data potentially at risk is that which was created or changed after the update from that specific version.

There is a tool that someone produced which can "trick" the OS into restoring from a backup made with a later version (it does this by changing the OS version the backup claims to have been made with) but for the reasons stated above there is always a possibility that you might introduce overt or hidden errors or corruption into the system by doing that.

Search for a string like "Darcy's Tools" or similar and you should be able to find it.

Wrinkle #2: Darcy got fed up with the sense of entitlement around here a few months ago and pulled all the download links. I don't know if he ever restored them.
    01-31-14 09:25 PM
    It's not uncommon at all to not be able to restore any OS from a backup made on a later version because the earlier platform has no "knowledge" of changes made in the future and thus no way of accomodating data in formats that were not known when the older OS was released.

What should normally be done is make a backup before doing any major OS update. Then the only data potentially at risk is that which was created or changed after the update from that specific version.

There is a tool that someone produced which can "trick" the OS into restoring from a backup made with a later version (it does this by changing the OS version the backup claims to have been made with) but for the reasons stated above there is always a possibility that you might introduce overt or hidden errors or corruption into the system by doing that.

Search for a string like "Darcy's Tools" or similar and you should be able to find it.

Wrinkle #2: Darcy got fed up with the sense of entitlement around here a few months ago and pulled all the download links. I don't know if he ever restored them.
    Thanks for your help Omnitech... I have made a backup while still running the official 10.2.0... for whatever reason, that one gives the same error. Is there any way I can downgrade officially? If not, I'll try with Darcy's tools...

Many thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 10:53 AM
    Thanks for your help Omnitech... I have made a backup while still running the official 10.2.0... for whatever reason, that one gives the same error. Is there any way I can downgrade officially? If not, I'll try with Darcy's tools...

Many thanks again!

I know of no "official downgrade" procedure other than the "Reload OS" feature in BlackBerry Link. (Which just wipes the device and installs whatever the currently official OS from your carrier happens to be. If that's newer than what came on the device, you still get the current one, not the original one.)

Glad to help.
    adelintru likes this.
    02-02-14 06:23 AM
    I know of no "official downgrade" procedure other than the "Reload OS" feature in BlackBerry Link. (Which just wipes the device and installs whatever the currently official OS from your carrier happens to be. If that's newer than what came on the device, you still get the current one, not the original one.)

Glad to help.
    Many thanks anyway... I'll wait for a new version of 10.2.1... which will hopefully work well with active sync... then upgrade

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 07:27 AM
    Thanks for this simple, yet terrifically smart workaround!
    Worked for me too!

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 02:20 PM
    It's a shame BB released 10.2.1 with the Exchange mail delay. That is enough to keep me away from the Q10 until it is fixed. Here's the problem: Even f they fix this problem TOMORROW, how many MONTHS will we wait have to wait for Verizon and everyone else to fix the problem. That's the big problem for me and the other business users who aren't willing to deal with this type of bug. We can't afford to have these bugs and we can't afford to wait months for the next official OS...

And for anyone who tells me to download a "leak", I don't have time to download a leak and explore what new bugs pop up. Nor do I feel like having a "non-official" OS that won't be supported if I bring my phone back to a VZW store.

It's honestly shocking to me that BB was willing to release 10.2.1 with this type of bug, as it's bound to **** all of the Exchange corporate users off. Can you tell I'm pissed that I now have to wait for the fix before I buy a Q10?? All of these months of waiting for 10.2.1 to only find out that it has a bug that will make wait many months months for the official OS... It's very sad they we were willing to release this with this bug...
    02-02-14 10:35 PM
    I've been running 10.2.1 through various leaks and official betas. The reboot issue with latest release is definitely annoying, but I cant say I've seen any form of mail delay issues, though I'm running GroupWise not exchange.

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    I have also been running leaked 10.2.1 for a while and I have not noticed any email delays through exchange.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 10:53 PM
    And for anyone who tells me to download a "leak", I don't have time to download a leak and explore what new bugs pop up. Nor do I feel like having a "non-official" OS that won't be supported if I bring my phone back to a VZW store.

The funny thing about that is that the people running the leak that was released on 12/18/2013 have the exact same OS that was just released as "official" about a week ago.

I agree that QA with BlackBerry is in need of overhaul, but that's a separate matter.

Hopefully, that is one thing that we can have some degree of confidence that Chen will get a handle on, because he has years of experience running an enterprise software company.
    02-02-14 11:09 PM
    Ha!
    I recently set up my Z10 with my Microsoft.com email account and just a few minutes ago had my first reboot since then (because I dropped my phone and the battery popped out) and I got the same post unlock prompt to re-enter my unlock code as the rest of you.

So I am seeing it now as well. I didn't have this issue before because my prior work place uses a BES10 to control the devices and the ActiveSync policy was pretty vanilla (because it didn't need to be touched).

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Hey Mr Hotfix,

We just started activating our devices running 10.2.1 to bes and we do NOT have exchange or activesync, and one by one our z10s quarantined, also we noticed that with 10.2 quarantine locks the entire phone, but 10.2.1 only locks out the messaging... what's the resolution here?

To cut a long story short.

The carrier says its bes admin, bes admin. Says it's ActiveSync which we don't have, email provider says it's the carrier, the carrier said it's bes admin, bes admin say the sim settings aren't correct, the carrier takes it to BlackBerry who ask the BES admin for the pin and IMEI and there it sits.

The phones worked fine before activation, but now they're activated I think that the carrier infrastructure is possibly out of date, as it's blocking activated 10.2.1 os devices.....?

Any light on this?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 07:53 AM
    Hey Mr Hotfix,

We just started activating our devices running 10.2.1 to bes and we do NOT have exchange or activesync, and one by one our z10s quarantined, also we noticed that with 10.2 quarantine locks the entire phone, but 10.2.1 only locks out the messaging... what's the resolution here?

To cut a long story short.

The carrier says its bes admin, bes admin. Says it's ActiveSync which we don't have, email provider says it's the carrier, the carrier said it's bes admin, bes admin say the sim settings aren't correct, the carrier takes it to BlackBerry who ask the BES admin for the pin and IMEI and there it sits.

The phones worked fine before activation, but now they're activated I think that the carrier infrastructure is possibly out of date, as it's blocking activated 10.2.1 os devices.....?

Any light on this?

Posted via CB10
    Let's start by identifying what email system you are using and what protocol you are using to sync your devices. Please provide as much information as you can in this area.

02-03-14 07:59 AM
    Let's start by identifying what email system you are using and what protocol you are using to sync your devices. Please provide as much information as you can in this area.

We are using pop email. Provider is currently Network Solutions.

Carrier is Digicel. Country Trinidad.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 08:02 AM
    The carrier says its bes admin, bes admin. Says it's ActiveSync which we don't have....

That's a scary thought - your BES admin doesn't even know what sort of email system you run? :boggle:
    02-03-14 08:25 AM
    That's a scary thought - your BES admin doesn't even know what sort of email system you run? :boggle:
    They don't provide email services. The device is activated as workspace only. clarify what you mean by what you say pls.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 08:31 AM
338 ... 23456 ...