06-14-14 09:23 PM
338 ... 11121314
tools
    First of all, thanks very much for offering to check the latest Verizon version - I appreciate it. Having followed this thread very closely over the past months, I can tell you definitively that the latest Verizon release has the delay, which kills me. Still hard to believe they can't fix it...

As for using different versions, it's actually due to 2 reasons: I don't have the time to do upgrades/downgrades/etc, as I'm way too busy with work / family, nor do I have the technical understanding of how it all works or the time to learn it. It's VERY simple - I want to buy a Verizon Q10 (or Q30), turn it on, and use it. I'[m honestly too busy for any other scenario. A lot of people here might not be able to relate to that because clearly many people here are willing to mod their phones but I simply don't have the time for it, as I'm a "1 man show" in my business and I'll lose too much work and $$ spending hours dealing with the phone.

I think a lot of people on this site lose sight of the fact that business users don't have time to mess around with their phone, as they are too busy with business! If BB can't get the OS right out of the box (or at least via frequent software updates if they are needed) then it's going to prevent me and MANY business users from buying their products. That's actually the reality of the BB small business user base - not Sashesi and upgrading/downgrading OS versions to accommodate bugs.

Anyhow, hopefully this will be resolved with 10.3... In the meantime, I will continue to watch this thread to see if this finally gets resolved. Thanks again for your help - I appreciate it!
    I assume you are not to busy to periodically apply updates to your phone, whether they are OS updates from BlackBerry or app updates via BlackBerry World. If that is true, which I hope it is, then I would be happy to walk you through the 2 extra steps it takes to upgrade you phone with an official BlackBerry OS release that I believe has addressed your issue. Just to be clear I am not talking about BETA code or a true leak, but rather an OS version BlackBerry has already released to the wild and some carriers have approved (just not Verizon).

I can certainly understand your desire to just have things work. That's why I buy gaming consoles and play games on them versus only playing games on my computer where they have a tendency to be more bug ridden.

However... bugs do happen, and to your point ActiveSync did work fine "out of the box" when Verizon and others sold BlackBerry devices with 10.1 in them. The issue came around when BlackBerry added more ActiveSync features due to high customer demand, and a bug crept in. So I think it's a little unfair/unrealistic to expect a company to keep innovating and adding features but never have any bugs.

I am fairly confident once you go through an official OS update via Sachesi, you will look back on it and think"thats all I had to do?". :-)

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2947
    Last edited by HotFix; 04-19-14 at 07:43 PM.
    mrjmc99 likes this.
    04-19-14 03:44 PM

I am fairly confident once you go through an official OS update via Sachesi, you will look back on it and think"thats all I had to do?". :-)

So true.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 05:33 PM
    I assume you are not to busy to periodically apply updates to your phone, whether they are OS updates from BlackBerry or app updates via BlackBerry World. If that is true, which I hope it is, then I would be happy to walk you through the 2 extra steps it takes to upgrade you phone with an official BlackBerry OS release that I believe has addressed your issue. Just to be clear I am not talking about BETA code or a true leak, but rather an OS version BlackBerry has already released to the wild and some carriers have approved (just not Verizon).

I can certainly understand your desire to just have things work. That's why I buy gaming consoles and play games on them versus only playing games on my computer where they have a tendency to be more bug ridden.

However... bugs do happen, and to your point ActiveSync did work fine "out of the box" when Verizon and others sold BlackBerry devices with 10.1 in them. The issue came around when BlackBerry added more ActiveSync features due to high customer demand, and a bug crept in. So I think it's a little unfair/unrealistic to expect a company to keep innovating and adding features but never have any bugs.

HotFix,

Before I write my reply, I want to thank you for offering to help me walk through the downgrade process. I really do appreciate it. Here's a couple of thoughts in response to your message above. Please understand that any frustration you read from me below has absolutely nothing to do with you - it has EVERYTHING to do with BB:

1) I actually waited for the release of 10.2.1 so that I could enjoy all of the great features that BB added to the OS to help make it on-par with (and, in my cases, even better than) the major competitive OSes. So for me buy a BB and downgrade to 10.1 wouldn't make sense, as I would be giving up far too many great features that BB has now incorporated. If I already owned a BB and wanted to use my device with a fully functioning version of ActiveSync then I would probably downgrade as you suggested but, as someone who waited MONTHS for BB and Verizon to upgrade to 10.2.1, only to find out that ActiveSync is now broken, I'm not prepared to buy a Q10 at this point only to have to downgrade to an older OS. While I absolutely realize that what you're proposing (ie. downgrading to 10.1) is an actual solution, I hope that makes sense nonetheless.
    2) Bugs - Yes, I'm not unrealistic and fully expect bugs to come up. I can absolutely deal with many minor bugs. The current handset I use (a Motorola Q9c - I am a die-hard keyboard fan) has bugs. I have to wipe and re-load my e-mail once every couple of months for 2-3 hours, for example. But the ActiveSync bug isn't just another minor bug for this type of handset. BB prides itself on having the best keyboard and being the best OS for business users because they make the best COMMUNICATIONS-FOCUSED OS. Like many other business users, e-mail is absolutely essentially to my business. Put those together and you realize that asking someone to put up with waiting an unknown amount of delay (seems likes a good 45 mins + from the various user feedback I have read on this thread) to receive e-mails is like telling me that every 5th time I need to make a phone call I will have to reset the phone. This is a MAJOR bug for business users and until the BB enthusiasts (and BB themselves) accepts that fact and prioritizes this fix, BB will have MANY pissed off people like me who are in disbelief that this MAJOR bug exists in the latest Verizon approved official OS and hasn't been fixed in weeks and doesn't seem to be on the radar with a solution in the coming weeks/months. If BB is hoping to survive another year then it honestly can't pull this crap. I am a huge keyboard fan and I'm REALLY hoping BB comes through. Heck, I have already even bought an extended battery for the Q10 that I don't even own. That's how badly I want one! But they're going to put big enough bugs into updates without any solutions it will make me hold off from buying a BB and it will make MANY others switch to other OSes. I hope I have made the importance of this bug clear, as I don't think you're being realistic when you brush this off as just another bug.

I'm done with my rant and I hope this all makes sesne. I REALLY hope they get this bug resolved relatively soon, as I can't wait to own a Verizon Q10 with 10.2.1 that has ActiveSync that actually works property... At this point I'm being realistic in thinking that perhaps the Q30 with 10.3 will be the solution. But, as a target BB keyboard user, I'm as frustrated as I can be and I can guarantee you I'm not the only one (the market share numbers speak for themselves). BB is just lucky that literally NO ONE else is making a physical keyboard phone or I and I'm guessing many other BB users would seriously consider switching to another OS...

Here's to hoping this gets fixed soon...
    04-21-14 02:28 AM
    HotFix,

Before I write my reply, I want to thank you for offering to help me walk through the downgrade process. I really do appreciate it. Here's a couple of thoughts in response to your message above. Please understand that any frustration you read from me below has absolutely nothing to do with you - it has EVERYTHING to do with BB:

1) I actually waited for the release of 10.2.1 so that I could enjoy all of the great features that BB added to the OS to help make it on-par with (and, in my cases, even better than) the major competitive OSes. So for me buy a BB and downgrade to 10.1 wouldn't make sense, as I would be giving up far too many great features that BB has now incorporated. If I already owned a BB and wanted to use my device with a fully functioning version of ActiveSync then I would probably downgrade as you suggested but, as someone who waited MONTHS for BB and Verizon to upgrade to 10.2.1, only to find out that ActiveSync is now broken, I'm not prepared to buy a Q10 at this point only to have to downgrade to an older OS. While I absolutely realize that what you're proposing (ie. downgrading to 10.1) is an actual solution, I hope that makes sense nonetheless.
    2) Bugs - Yes, I'm not unrealistic and fully expect bugs to come up. I can absolutely deal with many minor bugs. The current handset I use (a Motorola Q9c - I am a die-hard keyboard fan) has bugs. I have to wipe and re-load my e-mail once every couple of months for 2-3 hours, for example. But the ActiveSync bug isn't just another minor bug for this type of handset. BB prides itself on having the best keyboard and being the best OS for business users because they make the best COMMUNICATIONS-FOCUSED OS. Like many other business users, e-mail is absolutely essentially to my business. Put those together and you realize that asking someone to put up with waiting an unknown amount of delay (seems likes a good 45 mins + from the various user feedback I have read on this thread) to receive e-mails is like telling me that every 5th time I need to make a phone call I will have to reset the phone. This is a MAJOR bug for business users and until the BB enthusiasts (and BB themselves) accepts that fact and prioritizes this fix, BB will have MANY pissed off people like me who are in disbelief that this MAJOR bug exists in the latest Verizon approved official OS and hasn't been fixed in weeks and doesn't seem to be on the radar with a solution in the coming weeks/months. If BB is hoping to survive another year then it honestly can't pull this crap. I am a huge keyboard fan and I'm REALLY hoping BB comes through. Heck, I have already even bought an extended battery for the Q10 that I don't even own. That's how badly I want one! But they're going to put big enough bugs into updates without any solutions it will make me hold off from buying a BB and it will make MANY others switch to other OSes. I hope I have made the importance of this bug clear, as I don't think you're being realistic when you brush this off as just another bug.

I'm done with my rant and I hope this all makes sesne. I REALLY hope they get this bug resolved relatively soon, as I can't wait to own a Verizon Q10 with 10.2.1 that has ActiveSync that actually works property... At this point I'm being realistic in thinking that perhaps the Q30 with 10.3 will be the solution. But, as a target BB keyboard user, I'm as frustrated as I can be and I can guarantee you I'm not the only one (the market share numbers speak for themselves). BB is just lucky that literally NO ONE else is making a physical keyboard phone or I and I'm guessing many other BB users would seriously consider switching to another OS...

I wasn't suggesting at all you downgrade to 10.1, as I agree that would be moving backwards. I was pointing out that ActiveSync worked "out of the box" in 10.1 (which was one of your complaints), and only encountered a bug in early versions of 10.2.1 because of BlackBerry adding new features due to customer demand. I am not going to argue the minor versus major bug point because that is perspective based.
    Sorry if I confused the issue and frustrated you further.

What I was offering to do is walk you through upgrading your Verizon BlackBerry to an official release OS beyond the version Verizon has approved. I am running 10.2.1.2947 and don't have any ActiveSync issues (in fact I see email show up on my BlackBerry sometimes before Outlook in cache mode). For example you could grab the OS version Sprint has approved which is newer and will work just fine.

Again as far as I can tell the bug is fixed and has been for some time. Your issue at this point isn't that BlackBerry isn't fixing the bugs but that Verizon isn't aggressively releasing newer OS releases by BlackBerry which isn't BlackBerry's fault.

I think at this point you know your options:
    #1. Buy a BlackBerry 10 device and upgrade it to an official release OS that is newer than the one Verizon has approved.
    #2. Sit and wait for a future release of the OS that Verizon approves and then buy a BlackBerry.
    #3. Stop waiting and get a competitor's product.

That pretty much sums it up and I wish you well in your decision making process.

Pdinos3 likes this.
    04-21-14 08:13 AM
    HotFix,

So, if understand you correctly, you don't have a Q10 yet and don't know if you would be affected by the bug?

I use a Verizon Q10 with my ActiveSync server without any problems. I think only a small number of people are affected by this admittedly bad bug.

Why can't you get the Q10 and get it going on WiFi to see if the problem exists for you and do the Sachesi upgrade without loosing much time, before you activate the Q10 SIM card?
    04-22-14 01:18 AM
    HotFix, jhanks64, Omnitech, and others,

I think I might have a misunderstanding that explains my major frustration. Does everyone agree that this bug is essentially fixed and that it doesn't affect most people for those who are running a version that has the bug? Based on reading this thread over the months, I was under the impression that it affected most people running 10.2.1 and I had no idea that there was a fixed version (I believe HotFix just mentioned that 10.2.1.2947 fixed the bug for him)?

If the bug truly is fixed and it doesn't affect most people to begin with then I will move forward giving a Verizon Q10 a try. But I was hoping to confirm that first before I spend the time and money on it (especially the time - that's my biggest challenge).

It's worth noting that I have been very frustrated and ranting because I didn't think a fix existed for this yet, which was hard to believe from my perspective given the importance of communication specifically on BB devices and given how long it appears to have been outstanding (I'm not sure when .2947 was made available if it does indeed include a fix for this).

Thanks again for everyone's help with this - I truly appreciate it,
    Jeremy
    04-22-14 04:02 PM
    HotFix, jhanks64, Omnitech, and others,

I think I might have a misunderstanding that explains my major frustration. Does everyone agree that this bug is essentially fixed and that it doesn't affect most people for those who are running a version that has the bug? Based on reading this thread over the months, I was under the impression that it affected most people running 10.2.1 and I had no idea that there was a fixed version (I believe HotFix just mentioned that 10.2.1.2947 fixed the bug for him)?

If the bug truly is fixed and it doesn't affect most people to begin with then I will move forward giving a Verizon Q10 a try. But I was hoping to confirm that first before I spend the time and money on it (especially the time - that's my biggest challenge).

It's worth noting that I have been very frustrated and ranting because I didn't think a fix existed for this yet, which was hard to believe from my perspective given the importance of communication specifically on BB devices and given how long it appears to have been outstanding (I'm not sure when .2947 was made available if it does indeed include a fix for this).

Thanks again for everyone's help with this - I truly appreciate it,
    Jeremy
    The bug of a massive delay in ActiveSync syncing has actually been fixed for me in the last couple of later 10.2.1 builds. Since I don't remember them all I can only speak to the version I am on now (10.2.1.2947).

I am pretty sure that if you bought a Q10 and dropped the OS approved by Sprint on it, you will be fine.

Questions to you though, what email systems and their versions will you be connecting to? I have my device synced to my home Exchange 2010 SP3 server and Office 365 w/o issue.

04-23-14 07:23 AM
    The bug of a massive delay in ActiveSync syncing has actually been fixed for me in the last couple of later 10.2.1 builds. Since I don't remember them all I can only speak to the version I am on now (10.2.1.2947).

I am pretty sure that if you bought a Q10 and dropped the OS approved by Sprint on it, you will be fine.

Questions to you though, what email systems and their versions will you be connecting to? I have my device synced to my home Exchange 2010 SP3 server and Office 365 w/o issue.

I will be connecting to a cloud Exchange Server via this service: VPS Hosting, Virtual Servers & Hosted Exchange | myhosting.com. I believe they are still on Exchange 2007 but I'm not sure...
    04-23-14 01:17 PM
    For what it's worth: I have 2 Z10s, configured as follows, and I do not recall having any kind of delay issues with EAS through various OS revisions (though I did avoid the notorious 10.2.1.1925 version which was known for EAS issues. May have run it for a short time on my secondary device.):

Device 1:
    • 2 POP3 email accounts
    • 4 IMAP email accounts
    • 2 EAS email accounts (1 hosted Exchange 2010, 1 Outlook.com)

Device 2:
    • 1 IMAP email account

All of which to say, that this issue is certainly not "universal".
    04-24-14 08:11 AM
    For what it's worth: I have 2 Z10s, configured as follows, and I do not recall having any kind of delay issues with EAS through various OS revisions (though I did avoid the notorious 10.2.1.1925 version which was known for EAS issues. May have run it for a short time on my secondary device.):

Device 1:
    • 2 POP3 email accounts
    • 4 IMAP email accounts

Device 2:
    • 1 IMAP email account

All of which to say, that this issue is certainly not "universal".

Thanks for the information - I appreciate it. I believe Verizon's official 10.2.1 OS might be the version you mentioned (or close to it), so clearly it might have the bug. But knowing that you and many others have found it to NOT be widespread, I think I'm going to give it a try to see what happens, as it's the only thing stopping me for buying the Q10. Thanks again for your help.
    04-24-14 09:18 PM
    Thanks for the information - I appreciate it. I believe Verizon's official 10.2.1 OS might be the version you mentioned (or close to it), so clearly it might have the bug. But knowing that you and many others have found it to NOT be widespread, I think I'm going to give it a try to see what happens, as it's the only thing stopping me for buying the Q10. Thanks again for your help.

Verizon has had 2 different official releases of 10.2.1 - one was 10.2.1.1925, which was released by many carriers around the world at that time, the later one was 10.2.1.2174, which had various bugfixes.

I strongly suggest you go with the latest one.

And if that does not work, it really is not difficult to put something even newer on there, as HotFix suggested. Both of my Z10s are on Verizon and I'm running something newer than VZW's release on both of them.
    04-25-14 03:28 AM
    Verizon has had 2 different official releases of 10.2.1 - one was 10.2.1.1925, which was released by many carriers around the world at that time, the later one was 10.2.1.2174, which had various bugfixes.

I strongly suggest you go with the latest one.

And if that does not work, it really is not difficult to put something even newer on there, as HotFix suggested. Both of my Z10s are on Verizon and I'm running something newer than VZW's release on both of them.
    Sorry for my confusion but when you say that Verizon has "2 official releases", does that mean I will be offered both of them when I buy a Verizon Q10 as an official OTA update? I'm guessing I will receive .1925 as an OTA update from Verizon (I don't believe I have read of anyone getting .2174 OTA from Verizon but I may very well be wrong, given that I haven't bothered following the Verizon thread ever since I thought the Exchange bug was still outstanding...

Thanks and sorry for the bother...
    04-25-14 01:10 PM
    Sorry for my confusion but when you say that Verizon has "2 official releases", does that mean I will be offered both of them when I buy a Verizon Q10 as an official OTA update? I'm guessing I will receive .1925 as an OTA update from Verizon...

Verizon has released or "greenlighted" 2 different builds of OS 10.2.1 for their customers using the Z10.

The first was 10.2.1.1925, the second was 10.2.1.2174. (Though in the update notification popup and in their documentation they refer to the software release version, not the OS version. I refer to the OS version because it's more descriptive of the actual OS functionality, applies to all builds (leaked or "unofficial" builds do not get assigned a software release version #) and it's easier to compare one build to the other chronologically.

If you want to do either an OTA update or an update using BlackBerry Link, you will offered the latest official update from the carrier your device is activated on. For Verizon Z10s and Q10s, that would be OS version 10.2.1.2174 (Software release 10.2.1.2122), for Verizon Z30s that would be 10.2.1.2180. (Software release 10.2.1.2126)

(I don't believe I have read of anyone getting .2174 OTA from Verizon but I may very well be wrong, given that I haven't bothered following the Verizon thread ever since I thought the Exchange bug was still outstanding...
    It's been out since March:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...veries-915992/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...update-915910/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...erizon-915922/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...10-z30-915724/
    04-25-14 06:45 PM
    Verizon has released or "greenlighted" 2 different builds of OS 10.2.1 for their customers using the Z10.

The first was 10.2.1.1925, the second was 10.2.1.2174. (Though in the update notification popup and in their documentation they refer to the software release version, not the OS version. I refer to the OS version because it's more descriptive of the actual OS functionality, applies to all builds (leaked or "unofficial" builds do not get assigned a software release version #) and it's easier to compare one build to the other chronologically.

If you want to do either an OTA update or an update using BlackBerry Link, you will offered the latest official update from the carrier your device is activated on. For Verizon Z10s and Q10s, that would be OS version 10.2.1.2174 (Software release 10.2.1.2122), for Verizon Z30s that would be 10.2.1.2180. (Software release 10.2.1.2126)

It's been out since March:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...veries-915992/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...update-915910/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...erizon-915922/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...10-z30-915724/
    Thanks very much for the great info. It's great to know that there have been 2 Verizon OTA updates for 10.2.1. I'm probably going to give it a shot this week and see what happens. Hopefully my exchange setup won't have a delay with the latest Verizon OTA version...

Thanks again for everyone's help and feedback - I appreciate it. And sorry for my misunderstandings about this bug and my rants. Hopefully this will all be behind me shortly with a working Q10, as my Verizon Q9c is FAR overdue for an upgrade...
    04-26-14 08:04 PM
    Quick update for those who are interesting. I received a Blackberry Q10 from Verizon. Per the label on the box, it came pre-loaded with 10.2.1.2174, which matches up with the latest official OS that was mentioned a couple posts ago. I am hoping to activate it and sync it with my Exchange Server sometime in the next couple of days.

Hopefully I'll have an update within a week regarding possible e-mail delays with 10.2.1.2174 on Verizon. Thanks again for everyone's help.
    HotFix likes this.
    04-30-14 09:32 PM
    Quick update for those who are interesting. I received a Blackberry Q10 from Verizon. Per the label on the box, it came pre-loaded with 10.2.1.2174, which matches up with the latest official OS that was mentioned a couple posts ago. I am hoping to activate it and sync it with my Exchange Server sometime in the next couple of days.

Hopefully I'll have an update within a week regarding possible e-mail delays with 10.2.1.2174 on Verizon. Thanks again for everyone's help.
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it works "out of the box". :-)

Meanwhile I just want to remind you of my experience that new email gets delivered very quickly, but deleted items don't replicate with the same "urgency". This is typical of ActiveSync implementations, and the next new email that comes in should automatically trigger the sync of deleted items. If you are ever impatient and want the deleted items gone from your BlackBerry 10 device "right now", then you can use the Refresh option in the Hub to trigger the sync.

And to further set your expectations correctly, just remember that when you delete something in Outlook, it syncs that delete in the background to your Exchange server. Your ActiveSync devices will only see the delete once it has replicated to the Exchange server. So of you delete something from Outlook and then immediately hit Refresh in you Hub, you won't see the item removed from your BlackBerry device because of the pending sync from Outlook to Exchange still being needed.

I hope that all made sense.

04-30-14 10:14 PM
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it works "out of the box". :-)

Meanwhile I just want to remind you of my experience that new email gets delivered very quickly, but deleted items don't replicate with the same "urgency". This is typical of ActiveSync implementations, and the next new email that comes in should automatically trigger the sync of deleted items. If you are ever impatient and want the deleted items gone from your BlackBerry 10 device "right now", then you can use the Refresh option in the Hub to trigger the sync.

And to further set your expectations correctly, just remember that when you delete something in Outlook, it syncs that delete in the background to your Exchange server. Your ActiveSync devices will only see the delete once it has replicated to the Exchange server. So of you delete something from Outlook and then immediately hit Refresh in you Hub, you won't see the item removed from your BlackBerry device because of the pending sync from Outlook to Exchange still being needed.

I hope that all made sense.

That does all make sense - thanks very much. I have been using ActiveSync for years (via Windows Mobile 6.1) so I'm definitely not expecting it to be perfect! Just hoping the delay isn't there.
    05-01-14 11:26 PM
    I have been running. 2947 for a week now on my z10 and still am experiencing exchange delays on my EAS account.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    05-03-14 10:01 AM
    I have been running. 2947 for a week now on my z10 and still am experiencing exchange delays on my EAS account.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    Please be more specific...
    Delays on incoming email? If so how long?
    Delays on mailbox changed syncing (as in deleted items not reconciling right away)?
    Is the issue constant or just once and a whole? If it is once and a while are there any commonalities when it happens?
    What version of Exchange are you using EAS with?
    When did you first notice the issue?

jpvj likes this.
    05-03-14 11:26 AM
    So I have been using the Q10 since last night and my ActiveSync is setup and working. BUT I have a pretty major challenge: When messages arrives in my Outlook Desktop (Outlook 2007 - on my laptop), Outlook will file many messages in my Junk Folder. This results in a MUCH cleaner inbox. For example, this morning (thank God it's a Sat and not a weekday), I have 10 messages in my Inbox thus far, at least on my Outlook desktop. Meanwhile, on my Q10, I have 16 messages in my Inbox because the other 6 Spam messages are still in my Q10 inbox but they're not in my Outlook Inbox. Which also means that they AREN'T in my Exchange Server Inbox. If I logon to Outlook Web Access (OWA) I only see 10 messages in my Inbox.

What it seems like is happening is that my Q10 is downloading new messages into my Inbox as they arrive but not truly syncing with ActiveSync. If it was truly syncing (like my Motorola Q9c) then it might show the Spam messages for a couple of minutes but it would be updated via Push quite quickly and then the Spam messages would move to the Junk Folder.

Wait a second! I just checked the Junk folder on my phone and it looks like perhaps it just took several hours (a good 10+ hours) to move everything into the Junk folder on my phone, as I have the Junk folder syncing on my phone. So what I described above just solved itself BUT not without a major delay.

Does this sound like the ActiveSync delay everyone is referring to? I'm not quite sure it does, as I have still been receiving my Inbox e-mails and I just sent a test e-mail to myself and it showed up on my phone very quickly (within a few seconds).

This possible bug (or perhaps there's a setting I can change?) seems very odd, as my phone appears to be acting as an Inbox download sync but not a true Inbox mirror image sync, at least not without a major delay.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm on Verizon 10.2.1.22 - which is Verizon's latest official OTA download. Clearly this will be unusable during business hours for me, as I can't have all of the Spam unfiltered in my Inbox for hours, so hopefully there's a setting or some type of solution for this.

Thanks for your help,
    Jeremy
    05-03-14 01:58 PM
    Sorry. Nothing you can change on the BlackBerry 10.

As soon as the email hits your inbox the EAS will initiate a sync cycle. This is why you see the spam mails initially on your device.

It seems that the "move" is not replicated correctly to the BlackBerry 10. Next time you encounter the issue, pls try to force a sync cycle by opening the overflow menu (3 dots) and select update (or refresh - cannot remember).

Btw: Using Outlook to filter your spam is not the ideal solution. Concider having your inbound email scanned before it hits your Exchange Server.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 02:52 PM
    Sorry. Nothing you can change on the BlackBerry 10.

As soon as the email hits your inbox the EAS will initiate a sync cycle. This is why you see the spam mails initially on your device.

It seems that the "move" is not replicated correctly to the BlackBerry 10. Next time you encounter the issue, pls try to force a sync cycle by opening the overflow menu (3 dots) and select update (or refresh - cannot remember).

Btw: Using Outlook to filter your spam is not the ideal solution. Concider having your inbound email scanned before it hits your Exchange Server.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your quick response and insight - I appreciate it. In fact, I did try a refresh - a number of times - and it didn't change anything, which honestly surprised me. My previous phone (Q9c) had Windows Mobile 6.1 (non-touch) with ActiveSync and it didn't have this challenge so I'm not used to it. Then again, I'm not surprised that a Microsoft OS has a properly working ActiveSync, albeit it 6 years old :-)

I actually already have Spam filtered at the Server level and then my Outlook Desktop filters it further. Interestingly, I would say that 50% of my Spam is filtered at the desktop level, as Outlook's built-in Junk filtering is pretty good based on my experience. Not sure why the server level isn't as good but at least the dual filtering works.

But clearly it seems as though OS10 can't seem to handle the Spam moved from my Inbox to my Junk Folder - at least not with a multi-hour delay. What a shame - I was really hoping this would work.

Unless anyone has any other thoughts/suggestions, my Q10 is being returned and I will keep my fingers crossed that the "BB Classic" will have a better ActiveSync implementation via 10.3.xx. For now I'm reverting back to my Q9c, which is so sad considering how old the phone is. But, then again, it works well, albeit it with a ridiculously slow processor...

If no one else has any other suggestions then I do want to thank everyone for their help and time with this. It's very much appreciated and it's communities like that that make the Internet an amazing place. Hopefully I will be a permanent BB owner when the Classic is released...

Thanks Again,
    Jeremy
    05-03-14 07:53 PM
    Thanks for your quick response and insight - I appreciate it. In fact, I did try a refresh - a number of times - and it didn't change anything, which honestly surprised me. My previous phone (Q9c) had Windows Mobile 6.1 (non-touch) with ActiveSync and it didn't have this challenge so I'm not used to it. Then again, I'm not surprised that a Microsoft OS has a properly working ActiveSync, albeit it 6 years old :-)

I actually already have Spam filtered at the Server level and then my Outlook Desktop filters it further. Interestingly, I would say that 50% of my Spam is filtered at the desktop level, as Outlook's built-in Junk filtering is pretty good based on my experience. Not sure why the server level isn't as good but at least the dual filtering works.

But clearly it seems as though OS10 can't seem to handle the Spam moved from my Inbox to my Junk Folder - at least not with a multi-hour delay. What a shame - I was really hoping this would work.

Unless anyone has any other thoughts/suggestions, my Q10 is being returned and I will keep my fingers crossed that the "BB Classic" will have a better ActiveSync implementation via 10.3.xx. For now I'm reverting back to my Q9c, which is so sad considering how old the phone is. But, then again, it works well, albeit it with a ridiculously slow processor...

If no one else has any other suggestions then I do want to thank everyone for their help and time with this. It's very much appreciated and it's communities like that that make the Internet an amazing place. Hopefully I will be a permanent BB owner when the Classic is released...

Thanks Again,
    Jeremy
    I think you should try the Sprint approved OS at a minimum, if not the latest released OS 10.2.1.2947. It would be a shame to give up because of one specific issue.

Meanwhile I don't use Outlook Junk Email filtering because I find it...wanting. I will try to recreate your scenario by sending myself a message and then manually moving it to my Junk Email folder in Outlook. Maybe I will see the same behavior with a "filed" message.

Speaking of which, try turning off "Show Filed Messages" in the Hub Display and Actions menu to see if they disappear:
    10.2.1 Exchange Issue-img_20140503_221924.png

It could be that the BlackBerry knows the message has been moved out of the Inbox but thinks it should still show it to you.

05-03-14 10:21 PM
    My test showed that after I manually moved the message out of my Inbox into Junk Email, the message disappeared off my Hub after forcing a sync in Outlook and then on my device (refresh). I don't know if there is a difference in what I did manually and what Outlook is automatically doing for you with the Junk Email Filters though.

Just to be sure, you aren't syncing all email folders or the Junk Email sub-folder are you?

Aside from any revelations in your configuration, if the filed message trick doesn't work for you my only other suggestion is to try the newer OSs.

05-03-14 10:31 PM
    Then again, I'm not surprised that a Microsoft OS has a properly working ActiveSync, albeit it 6 years old :-)
    I don't recall if you stated what Exchange server version you were connecting to. A 6-year-old WM device won't have support for at least the last 3 or so revisions of the EAS protocol.

In a nutshell, the system or service your company or email provider is using for anti-spam is very poor if a "guessing" type of app-based junk filter is better.

HotFix asked earlier if you were syncing the Junk Mail "subfolder". Not sure why he asked but one thing to be aware of is that if a folder has a very large number of messages in it - ie over 5000 - it may cause EAS issues. (And issues with Outlook too, even using the most robust connection methods)

If an Exchange server throttles an EAS device's connection/session due to "Excessive load" for that reason or others, it will cause some things to fail to sync.

And as I have stated here before, I often wonder whether some of the "weird EAS problems" on BB10 are not simply servers which treat EAS connections from devices running an "unknown" OS differentially from devices running a "known" (ie more common) OS. Because Exchange servers can indeed be configured that way.

BTW - what method are you using to connect Outlook - not IMAP or POP, right?
    05-04-14 10:14 AM
338 ... 11121314