06-14-14 09:23 PM
338 ... 1011121314
tools
    I was not discussing their ability to figure out what the problem is, I was discussing the tendency of users to pass something off as some "random occurrence" when that is almost never the case.
    Sorry, I was not precise. I didn't mean the occurance of an delay is "random" - this can be reproduced anytime. The time amount of the delay is "random". It varies between 5min to half an hour.

What really should be happening is people who are experiencing this issue should have a packet sniffer collecting all the communications between the device and the mail server(s) in question to see what is actually going on.
    Well, at least I am no developer and I can't deal with sniffers and such. But if I can send over any logs / screenshots that may help I would be more than happy to do so.
    03-28-14 06:12 AM
    Well, today has been somewhat fascinating for a couple of reasons. I've been asked to keep a detailed log of mail arrival time in Outlook Vs Z30, so I've been watching it very closely today. Up through 11:30 this morning, I had delays of up to an hour. For example at 11:29 AM, a dozen emails came in at once the oldest of which was 65 minutes old, and the newest 2 minutes old. Most were 10-40 minutes delayed.

Since then I've basically had no delays at all today. This is the first time since 10.2 that this has been the case.

Now for the really weird thing. Our BB10 user base all started getting an Exchange error we've never seen before. I'm the only PlayBook user and I've been getting the error all day related to my PlayBook (about 25 so far today), but not impacting my Z30. The non PlayBook users - the BB10 users- have been getting the impact on their phones.

An example of the error is attached.

None of us have ever had this error before. It has been reported to BlackBerry. There have been no changes to our Exchange environment.

10.2.1 Exchange Issue-sync-error.jpg
    03-28-14 05:53 PM
    I have installed the latest leak and I will test to see if push is better.
    03-28-14 09:31 PM
    Well, today has been somewhat fascinating for a couple of reasons. I've been asked to keep a detailed log of mail arrival time in Outlook Vs Z30, so I've been watching it very closely today. Up through 11:30 this morning, I had delays of up to an hour. For example at 11:29 AM, a dozen emails came in at once the oldest of which was 65 minutes old, and the newest 2 minutes old. Most were 10-40 minutes delayed.

Since then I've basically had no delays at all today. This is the first time since 10.2 that this has been the case.

Now for the really weird thing. Our BB10 user base all started getting an Exchange error we've never seen before. I'm the only PlayBook user and I've been getting the error all day related to my PlayBook (about 25 so far today), but not impacting my Z30. The non PlayBook users - the BB10 users- have been getting the impact on their phones.

An example of the error is attached.

None of us have ever had this error before. It has been reported to BlackBerry. There have been no changes to our Exchange environment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sync Error.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	259136
    I have never seen that before. I see some random hits on the Internet with no real success.

Searching the internal knowledge base I see various hits where the issue was addressed in Exchange updates like randomly Exchange 2010 SP1 RU3. Most of those were meeting invites, not normal email messages (which is what an ipm.note is). The only two I found like yours were of no help.

Remind me what version of Exchange you are using.

Posted via CB10 on a Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2234
    03-28-14 10:06 PM
    Just to throw some random info out:
    I am a MDaemon Reseller and sometimes involved with testing of problems. One of the main developers of the MDaemon EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) component was a Microsoft developer previously (I believe).

As the Playbook and BB10 devices have progressed, so has the EAS support in MDaemon, so it's been a challenge for me to determine where the problem lies when things don't work correctly. I am often reading through logs and testing different things and working with the developer to track down bugs. Most of the time I'm running a leaked BB10 OS so it's hard to know which side had the problem. There have always seemed to be some minor issues in the ActiveSync log files up until the latest Verizon update. For the first time, no errors at all and things seem to work fine 98% of the time.

I have clients running MDaemon and they have different smartphones and tablets, so I am very sensitive to make sure things work right when there is a software update on a device or a server update.

My understanding is that many many devices have bugs or quirks in their ActiveSync implementation and on the server side, they have to work around those problems because getting the device vendors to fix it seems to take forever.

An example of work-arounds, MDaemon has to restrict the version of EAS to lower version for some devices because of the poor adherence to the standard by some devices.
    The list of buggy clients include Outlook 2013, iPad, iPhone, DROIDRAZR and Windows Phone. Sony is one of the worst, not sure it even works. On top of that, each update to a device software OS can break things all over again. Android itself is a nightmare because different vendors follow the spec or not, as they see fit. I almost got a client to switch from Galaxy S3 to BlackBerry Z10 because his S3 won't sync contacts with his in-house exchange server (that I don't have involvement in), but my spare Z10 works great. Eventually we got TouchDown to work on his Galaxy and that satisfied him.

What a mess!!
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-29-14 12:49 AM
    Some possibly helpful info:

Synchronization with your <mobile device> failed for 1 items.

Poster: Fiona Liao
    "If it is Exchange 2010, please refer to:
    You receive a synchronization failed email message when you synchronize your mobile device by using ActiveSync on an Exchange Server 2010 mailbox

You receive a synchronization failed email message when you synchronize your mobile device by using ActiveSync on an Exchange Server 2010 mailbox

If it is Exchange 2007, the issue generally be caused by the corrupted items in the mailbox. You may try the following steps for troubleshooting:

1. Move the affected mailbox to another Mailbox store to clean the corrupted items.
    2. Back up the calendar and remove the affected meeting and recreate the same.
    3. Upgrade the Exchange 2007 to the latest version, e.g. SP3 RU5

KB34871-"Your account is no longer synchronized with your device. Check that your account settings are correct. If they are correct, contact your email service provider" displayed on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone

Quote:

"Cause

This issue occurs when more than 200 items are included in a single Sync request, such as can be caused by the Delete Prior or Mark Prior Read options, due to a limitation on the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync server.

Note: Prior to Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 SP2 Rollup 6/ Microsoft Exchange Server 2013, this limitation was not enforced on the server, so batches of more than 200 changes would not produce this error.

Resolution

This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

Workaround

Complete one of the following:
    Ensure that fewer than 200 items are included when updating large batches of items from the BlackBerry 10 smartphone, either manually or via the Delete Prior or Mark Prior Read options.

Make changes to large batches of items via Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Web Access.

Microsoft server bug fixes:

The following may only pertain to BES users:

KB35084-Following a Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync server or BlackBerry 10 OS upgrade the BlackBerry 10 smartphone does not use the newer version of Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
    03-29-14 05:34 AM
    Some possibly helpful info:

Synchronization with your <mobile device> failed for 1 items.

Poster: Fiona Liao
    "If it is Exchange 2010, please refer to:

If it is Exchange 2007, the issue generally be caused by the corrupted items in the mailbox. You may try the following steps for troubleshooting:

1. Move the affected mailbox to another Mailbox store to clean the corrupted items.
    2. Back up the calendar and remove the affected meeting and recreate the same.
    3. Upgrade the Exchange 2007 to the latest version, e.g. SP3 RU5

KB34871-"Your account is no longer synchronized with your device. Check that your account settings are correct. If they are correct, contact your email service provider" displayed on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone

Quote:

"Cause

This issue occurs when more than 200 items are included in a single Sync request, such as can be caused by the Delete Prior or Mark Prior Read options, due to a limitation on the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync server.

Note: Prior to Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 SP2 Rollup 6/ Microsoft Exchange Server 2013, this limitation was not enforced on the server, so batches of more than 200 changes would not produce this error.

Resolution

This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

Workaround

Complete one of the following:
    Ensure that fewer than 200 items are included when updating large batches of items from the BlackBerry 10 smartphone, either manually or via the Delete Prior or Mark Prior Read options.

Make changes to large batches of items via Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Web Access.

Microsoft server bug fixes:

The following may only pertain to BES users:

KB35084-Following a Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync server or BlackBerry 10 OS upgrade the BlackBerry 10 smartphone does not use the newer version of Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
    Good collaboration!

I saw the MSFT one but didn't include or because it was for the object type IPM.Schedule.Meeting.Resp.Pos (calendar object) versus the reported IPM.Note (email message).

03-29-14 08:26 AM
    Thanks guys.

We investigated the calendar conflict angle yesterday and determined bit wasn't the culprit.

Running Exchange 2010.

More info :

I got about 50 of those messages yesterday. 37 between 6:00 PM and midnight. Since midnight? 0. None. Zip. Every message has come in with no errors. We've done nothing on the server end.

The only people affected yesterday were BB10 users (we are mostly iOS/Android with a few WP and BlackBerry). Everyone but me was affected on phones, me on my PlayBook. In other words, every sync error resulted in an error message in the user inbox, and the message referred to did not make it to the mailbox. In my case, I got the error message on all devices, and the actual message came into every device (including Z10 and Z30) except my PlayBook.

We're waiting to get some insight from BlackBerry early next week.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 11:48 AM
    And a bit more I learned today...

Affected users were all on 10.1 (along with my PlayBook). 10.1 uses EAS protocol v14.0, 10.2+ uses v14.1.

Verizon/T-Mo users are upgrading. AT&T is a problem. Though based on my PlayBook not having problems today, perhaps it won't be a problem.
    03-29-14 12:42 PM
    Jonty> pls remember BlackBerry 10 devices stays on the initial negotiated EAS version even though you update it to e.g. 10.2.

To upgrade to latest EAS version you need to remove and reconfigure EAS again.

Hopy BlackBerry fixes this in later OS versions.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 04:26 PM
    And a bit more I learned today...

Affected users were all on 10.1 (along with my PlayBook). 10.1 uses EAS protocol v14.0, 10.2+ uses v14.1.

Verizon/T-Mo users are upgrading. AT&T is a problem. Though based on my PlayBook not having problems today, perhaps it won't be a problem.
    You probably already know this but the "version" of EAS a product supports just references the list of ActiveSync features the product supports, it doesn't necessarily mean that all the features are supported well. :-)

Given that all of then affected platforms were on an older EAS implementation says to me there was a bug that BlackBerry already fixed but it hasn't gotten to those devices yet (including the PlayBook).

03-29-14 05:39 PM
    Might just need to give the old exchange server a reboot. Lol. Another thing to consider is time sync. We recently had an issue where some of our domain controllers were out of sync by a few minutes, it doesn't take much to start seeing weird unexplainable stuff. 1-2 minutes might be all it takes to start seeing errors. As for the user who said that outlook.com email was fine, I had to switch back to Gmail on that account because the delay was too high.

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.2947
    03-30-14 08:47 AM
    Might just need to give the old exchange server a reboot. Lol. Another thing to consider is time sync. We recently had an issue where some of our domain controllers were out of sync by a few minutes, it doesn't take much to start seeing weird unexplainable stuff. 1-2 minutes might be all it takes to start seeing errors. As for the user who said that outlook.com email was fine, I had to switch back to Gmail on that account because the delay was too high.

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.2947
    FYI Active Directory by default tolerates a maximum of 5 minutes in time offset before Kerberos breaks. Any variant within 5 minutes *should* be ok.

03-30-14 10:30 AM
    FYI Active Directory by default tolerates a maximum of 5 minutes in time offset before Kerberos breaks. Any variant within 5 minutes *should* be ok.

I love that word "should" lol. Thanks for the info.

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.2947
    03-30-14 02:12 PM
    I love that word "should" lol. Thanks for the info.

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.2947
    Always have a qualifier, because you can't possibly think of every scenario. ;-)

BTW make sure the PDC Emulator role holding DC in your forest root domain is anchored to an external and reliable time source (such as NIST). This server in turn will trickle down the time to all of your other DCS, which in turn will keep your domain joined machines in sync.

03-30-14 02:45 PM
    Always have a qualifier, because you can't possibly think of every scenario. ;-)

BTW make sure the PDC Emulator role holding DC in your forest root domain is anchored to an external and reliable time source (such as NIST). This server in turn will trickle down the time to all of your other DCS, which in turn will keep your domain joined machines in sync.

Unfortunately I don't have control over the DCs in my company, but I wouldn't put it past our guys to not have them configured correctly, weird stuff started happening after our main Microsoft guy left and decided to go work for Amazon.

It's amazing how much knowledge can leave with just one person, even at a company as large as ours. On the other hand all the stuff I'm responsible for is syncing to their DC, so if they are wrong then we will all be wrong together.

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.2947
    03-30-14 05:24 PM
    On the other hand all the stuff I'm responsible for is syncing to their DC, so if they are wrong then we will all be wrong together.

Gah.. comments like that give me the willies. Not sure I could ever work for a large company. Much easier to be a control-freak when you are the high emperor of I.T. there.
    jpvj and mrjmc99 like this.
    04-01-14 03:59 AM
    Looks like this thread has been silent for half a month. Does anyone happen to have an update on a potential solution from BB? It's amazing that it's taking them months to solve this problem. You would think that e-mail would be their highest priority if they intend to keep their corporate clients... And judging by their interest on focusing on keyboard phones it does seem clear that they will continue to focus on their corporate clients. Very odd dichotemy...

I, for one, can't wait until the bug is finally resolved AND Verizon issues an official fix so that I can finally buy an OS10 device... (Yes - I realize my Verizon requirement could mean many months but I'm hoping the upcoming Q30 will include a version of BB10.3 with a fix for this...)
    04-15-14 03:46 PM
    Looks like this thread has been silent for half a month. Does anyone happen to have an update on a potential solution from BB? It's amazing that it's taking them months to solve this problem. You would think that e-mail would be their highest priority if they intend to keep their corporate clients... And judging by their interest on focusing on keyboard phones it does seem clear that they will continue to focus on their corporate clients. Very odd dichotemy...

I, for one, can't wait until the bug is finally resolved AND Verizon issues an official fix so that I can finally buy an OS10 device... (Yes - I realize my Verizon requirement could mean many months but I'm hoping the upcoming Q30 will include a version of BB10.3 with a fix for this...)
    I went back several pages but couldn't find a referenece of what version you are using or what errors you are seeing.

My issues have been fixed since the last couple of 10.2.1 updates, and I recommend you try updating via Sachesi to a newer version if the Verizon approved one is still having issues.

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2947
    04-16-14 09:52 PM
    I went back several pages but couldn't find a referenece of what version you are using or what errors you are seeing.

My issues have been fixed since the last couple of 10.2.1 updates, and I recommend you try updating via Sachesi to a newer version if the Verizon approved one is still having issues. Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2947
    Thanks for trying to help me. In fact, I have been waiting to purchase a Q10 (for a long time) pending BB fixing the ActiveSync problem, as there's no way I could deal with delayed e-mails to the volume that I get. I also need to stay on Verizon's official release (vs Sachesi) for business reasons so I'm waiting for both BB to fix this problem (hopefully in 10.3?) and for Verizon to release either an updated OS for the Q10 or the Q30 with the 10.3 software (which will hopefully have the fix). I'm not holding my breath for the Q10, even though I really like the form factor, but I am staying on top of this thread to find out when this finally gets resolved.

It still blows me away that BB can't resolve this issue, as you would think it would be a top priority to retain its business clients...
    04-18-14 01:08 PM
    Thanks for trying to help me. In fact, I have been waiting to purchase a Q10 (for a long time) pending BB fixing the ActiveSync problem, as there's no way I could deal with delayed e-mails to the volume that I get. I also need to stay on Verizon's official release (vs Sachesi) for business reasons so I'm waiting for both BB to fix this problem (hopefully in 10.3?) and for Verizon to release either an updated OS for the Q10 or the Q30 with the 10.3 software (which will hopefully have the fix). I'm not holding my breath for the Q10, even though I really like the form factor, but I am staying on top of this thread to find out when this finally gets resolved.

It still blows me away that BB can't resolve this issue, as you would think it would be a top priority to retain its business clients...
    I will have to check and see if the official Verizon 10.2.1 OS release was one of the versions where I thought the issues were fixed for me.

In the interim why can't you run a newer official OS release? When I recently worked in the US federal government I ran newer OSs all the time. Most of them were official BETA releases from BlackBerry, but that's just a label and delivery mechanism. They always worked fine in general and neither my carrier (AT&T) or the government cared.
    My point being is that no Verizon ninjas are going to jump out of the closet and get you because you are running a slightly newer official BlackBerry OS (even if Verizon didn't authorize it). If you have a concern over warranty repairs, then you can always use BlackBerry Link to load the official Verizon approved OS version before sending it in. However many people have reported sending updated units for repair w/o their carrier even saying a word.

Just food for thought.

04-18-14 06:56 PM
    I thought a lot of organizations running secure infrastructure - ie a BES - locked-down mobile devices to particular officially-approved OS versions.

If I were the one running the show I'd be inclined to do that. Simply because in a business that values its property and assets, having users run random unknown OS's on a handheld device is not a heck of a lot different than letting employees run a random installation of Linux on a PC and connecting it to the network. And why stop there, let them install their own insecure WiFi hotspots, repositories of pirated software/music/videos, pr0n, etc.

Can you imagine what would happen if BB10 had a bug like the one iOS had where it wedged all sorts of organizational MS Exchange servers - but instead of being able to respond as only Apple can by pushing out a fix within a week to all endpoints - it took 6 months for a fix to be built and pushed to devices?
    04-18-14 07:15 PM
    I thought a lot of organizations running secure infrastructure - ie a BES - locked-down mobile devices to particular officially-approved OS versions.

If I were the one running the show I'd be inclined to do that. Simply because in a business that values its property and assets, having users run random unknown OS's on a handheld device is not a heck of a lot different than letting employees run a random installation of Linux on a PC and connecting it to the network. And why stop there, let them install their own insecure WiFi hotspots, repositories of pirated software/music/videos, pr0n, etc.

Can you imagine what would happen if BB10 had a bug like the one iOS had where it wedged all sorts of organizational MS Exchange servers - but instead of being able to respond as only Apple can by pushing out a fix within a week to all endpoints - it took 6 months for a fix to be built and pushed to devices?
    Trying to control when people can upgrade their devices is not only a pain for the users but also the admins. It's almost impossible to stay on top of all the device types and their respective OSs coupled with the carrier release schedule slant. It's a tidal wave you really can't get in front of in any sort of enterprise environment without having a bunch of upset users and a stressed out it staff.

Heck trying to roll out BBOS to our BlackBerry only user base in BES 5 was a NIGHTMARE. Some updates were OTA, some had to be downloaded, and we could never get everyone to the same relative level at the same time. It was chaos so my old team gave up.

But that's the point of Balance. Keep the work stuff separate and protected, and who cares what they do to the rest of their device. That doesn't address the risk of ActiveSync bugs, but honestly those would sneak in anyway as people began to roll out updates. And if you were the one company that always held off with a wait and see then we are back to upset users (just like all US carrier BlackBerry 10 users are upset at being the last to get updates).

04-18-14 08:05 PM
    Well I have to admit that I'm not thinking so much in terms of handheld devices (something which I've never done much of managing centrally), more in terms of what I'm more familiar with, ie managing desktop computers and other company/network resources.

So yeah, I understand the mobile device/OS thing is much more splintered and chaotic.

Then again, I'm not much a fan of the whole BYOD thing anyway.

Neither do I think MDM necessarily solves a lot of that. I can tell you one thing categorically: there would be NO WAY I would bring a personal device into a place of work and place its fate - including the ability to completely wipe the device if they so chose - in the hands of my employer. NO WAY. Despite assurances that they can only touch one side of it, bla bla... too many opportunities - either intentionally or unintentionally - for that to end up not being as simple as it sounds.

If they wanted me to use a controlled-device, then they can provide it to me.

Then again, I've never been much a fan of working in large companies in general either.
    HotFix likes this.
    04-18-14 08:53 PM
    I will have to check and see if the official Verizon 10.2.1 OS release was one of the versions where I thought the issues were fixed for me.

In the interim why can't you run a newer official OS release? When I recently worked in the US federal government I ran newer OSs all the time. Most of them were official BETA releases from BlackBerry, but that's just a label and delivery mechanism. They always worked fine in general and neither my carrier (AT&T) or the government cared.
    My point being is that no Verizon ninjas are going to jump out of the closet and get you because you are running a slightly newer official BlackBerry OS (even if Verizon didn't authorize it). If you have a concern over warranty repairs, then you can always use BlackBerry Link to load the official Verizon approved OS version before sending it in. However many people have reported sending updated units for repair w/o their carrier even saying a word.

Just food for thought.

First of all, thanks very much for offering to check the latest Verizon version - I appreciate it. Having followed this thread very closely over the past months, I can tell you definitively that the latest Verizon release has the delay, which kills me. Still hard to believe they can't fix it...

As for using different versions, it's actually due to 2 reasons: I don't have the time to do upgrades/downgrades/etc, as I'm way too busy with work / family, nor do I have the technical understanding of how it all works or the time to learn it. It's VERY simple - I want to buy a Verizon Q10 (or Q30), turn it on, and use it. I'[m honestly too busy for any other scenario. A lot of people here might not be able to relate to that because clearly many people here are willing to mod their phones but I simply don't have the time for it, as I'm a "1 man show" in my business and I'll lose too much work and $$ spending hours dealing with the phone.

I think a lot of people on this site lose sight of the fact that business users don't have time to mess around with their phone, as they are too busy with business! If BB can't get the OS right out of the box (or at least via frequent software updates if they are needed) then it's going to prevent me and MANY business users from buying their products. That's actually the reality of the BB small business user base - not Sashesi and upgrading/downgrading OS versions to accommodate bugs.

Anyhow, hopefully this will be resolved with 10.3... In the meantime, I will continue to watch this thread to see if this finally gets resolved. Thanks again for your help - I appreciate it!
    04-19-14 01:36 PM
338 ... 1011121314