06-14-14 08:23 PM
338 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    This is what I get :

Testing HTTP Authentication Methods for URL https://webmail.company-ingredients. Com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync. The HTTP authentication test failed

What is weird is my email address is username@company-food.com. The error shows the address tested as company-ingredients.com. The difference being the "- food" vs. "-ingredients". Not sure if that change post hyphen is screwing things up.

Posted via CB10
    I just PM'ed you to offer my assistance on the side to see if I can troubleshoot the issue from my end.
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-13-14 07:33 PM
    I found one for the second password prompt issue, but would still appreciate something to reference the 10.2.1.XXXX ActiveSync delays.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB35672

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Just saw this. I'll see if I can track something down. Curious if 2228 addresses it.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 07:58 PM
    Just saw this. I'll see if I can track something down. Curious if 2228 addresses it.

Posted via CB10
    I am loading 2228 on now, and I will be playing with it for the next days. I have seen major (1/2 hour+) delays in ActiveSync so I should be able to tell if it is still occurring pretty quickly.
    03-13-14 08:13 PM
    Thanks Hotfix, I will load tonight or tomorrow morning and test as well

Posted via CB10
    HotFix likes this.
    03-13-14 08:25 PM
    I run MDaemon Messaging Server and over the last year have seen changes to BB10 that have either broken or fixed ActiveSync support or features.
    Interestingly, I think BlackBerry owns that company now...
    03-13-14 08:39 PM
    well, I'm holding out some hope. I have 2228 on my z10, 2156 on my z30. I now have three emails on my z10 that are not yet on my z30. so far looking at a 45 minute minimum delay on the z30 on these emails... none on the z10.
    HotFix likes this.
    03-13-14 09:18 PM
    Hope has died. I've now been waiting 7 minutes for an email on both Zs. Email is in OWA, not on BBs.
    03-13-14 09:46 PM
    well, I'm holding out some hope. I have 2228 on my z10, 2156 on my z30. I now have three emails on my z10 that are not yet on my z30. so far looking at a 45 minute minimum delay on the z30 on these emails... none on the z10.

10.2.1.2156 is the Software Release version for OS version 10.2.1.2228.

Did you get something transposed somewhere?

You went up and down before I came to check the thread again. Spared me some emotional exercise.
    03-13-14 10:52 PM
    Thanks for trying the newest OS for us. It's a shame a fix wasn't included. Please do let us know if BB isolates the bug so that we know a fix is imminent. In the meantime, I am literally holding out for a Verizon Q10 until the ActiveSync delay is fixed, as I just can't afford for my e-mail to be delayed. Sad that I am still using a Motorola Q9c that doesn't have that issue!

Thanks Again,
    Jeremy
    03-13-14 10:59 PM
    10.2.1.2156 is the Software Release version for OS version 10.2.1.2228.

Did you get something transposed somewhere?

You went up and down before I came to check the thread again. Spared me some emotional exercise.
    Yeah, sorry, 2141 on the Z30. Nothing to get excited about. Delay still there. No improvement. Sadly work has been busy tonight so I've had time to test.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 11:05 PM
    Interestingly, I think BlackBerry owns that company now...
    They used to, but not anymore. They have a BES that works great with legacy devices, but uses ActiveSync with BB10. I haven't gotten around to try and setup BES10, but it is supposed to be possible.
    03-14-14 12:03 AM
    They used to, but not anymore.

Who owns MDaemon now?
    03-14-14 05:08 AM
    Hope has died. I've now been waiting 7 minutes for an email on both Zs. Email is in OWA, not on BBs.
    I am having good luck today with email being sent from Outlook (over HTTPS) to two different email systems. It shows up within a minute on my BB, in one case before Outlook alerted me. Deletes take a while to replicate, but that's normal because they aren't linked to "new mail notifications" that generate "instant" updates when a new email arrives.

Maybe your issue was the device was still settling in? Then again I could be having good luck at the moment and the problem is still there.
    Last edited by HotFix; 03-14-14 at 05:37 PM.
    03-14-14 12:31 PM
    This is what I get :

Testing HTTP Authentication Methods for URL https://webmail.company-ingredients. Com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync. The HTTP authentication test failed

What is weird is my email address is username@company-food.com. The error shows the address tested as company-ingredients.com. The difference being the "- food" vs. "-ingredients". Not sure if that change post hyphen is screwing things up.

Posted via CB10
    I spoke to Chirsru offline and looked at a test he ran through the Exchange Remote Connectivity analyzer. The issue appears to be Anonymous authentication is enabled either on his server's ActiveSync virtual directory in IIS, or on some pre-authentication device that sits in front of the Exchange server (like Microsoft's Threat Management Gateway). Here is the exact error:
    Testing HTTP Authentication Methods for URL https://webmail.company-ingredients....ver-ActiveSync.
    (the actual server name was changed to reflect the example Chrisru gave.)
    The HTTP authentication test failed.
    The Initial Anonymous HTTPS request didn't fail, but Anonymous isn't a supported authentication method for this scenario. HTTP Response Headers: Connection: close Content-Length: 0 Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 12:30:40 GMT

I am guessing that Apple's ActiveSync implementation doesn't properly error out on this condition as apparently it should, or they ran into this and decided to code their ActveSync clients to ignore the fact that the ActiveSync virtual directory allows Anonymous authentication (presumably in addition to Basic over SSL/TLS). Either reason would be why iOS devices work by BlackBerry 10 devices don't (because they are running into the error condition of an unsupported configuration).

I gave Chirsru some information and links to pass along to his IT department so they can hopefully fix the Exchange server so that is configured correctly:
    Anonymous Authentication Enabled for Virtual Directory
    AutoDiscover Troubleshooting- Default authentication for Exchange VDir’s aka Virtual directories on CAS and Mailbox role « MSExchangeGuru.com

I am sharing this information with Chrisru's permission so that others who run into a similar issue can hopefully learn from this experience (in case they run into this specific situation which the Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyze would show you).
    Last edited by HotFix; 03-14-14 at 05:38 PM.
    03-14-14 12:40 PM
    I spoke to Chirsru offline and looked at a test he ran through the Exchange Remote Connectivity analyzer. The issue appears to be Anonymous authentication is enabled either on his server's ActiveSync virtual directory in IIS, or on some pre-authentication device that sits in front of the Exchange server (like Microsoft's Threat Management Gateway). Here is the exact error:
    Testing HTTP Authentication Methods for URL https://webmail.company-ingredients....ver-ActiveSync.
    (the actual server name was changed to reflect the example Chrisru gave.)
    The HTTP authentication test failed.
    The Initial Anonymous HTTPS request didn't fail, but Anonymous isn't a supported authentication method for this scenario. HTTP Response Headers: Connection: close Content-Length: 0 Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 12:30:40 GMT

I am guessing that Apple's ActiveSync implementation doesn't properly error out on this condition as apparently it should, or they ran into this and decided to code their ActveSync clients to ignore the fact that the ActiveSync virtual directory allows Anonymous authentication (presumably in addition to Basic over SSL/TLS). Either reason would be why iOS devices work by BlackBerry 10 devices don't (because they are running into the error condition of an unsupported configuration).

I gave Chirsru some information and links to pass along to his IT department so they can hopefully fix the Exchange server so that is configured correctly:
    Anonymous Authentication Enabled for Virtual Directory
    AutoDiscover Troubleshooting- Default authentication for Exchange VDir’s aka Virtual directories on CAS and Mailbox role « MSExchangeGuru.com

I am sharing this information with Chrisru's permission so that others who run into a similar issue can hopefully learn from this experience (in case they run into this specific situation which the Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyze would show you).

Thanks for all that. I still think BB10 error reporting and logging suck in general, which often seems to lead to scenarios like this where things break inexplicably and you have little to no data on what went wrong or how to fix it.

Interestingly Apple is one of the very few companies who participate in that EAS certification program - you would think that the extra scrutiny that certification would seemingly entail would preclude these cases where their implementation just ignores incorrect configurations.
    03-15-14 03:00 PM
    After using the latest os I can confirm that the delays are still there. Anyone hear from BlackBerry if they found the solution

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 06:00 AM
    After using the latest os I can confirm that the delays are still there. Anyone hear from BlackBerry if they found the solution

Posted via CB10
    That is not my experience with 10.2.1.2228.

What version Exchange server are you connecting to? Perhaps there is a difference there. Also how long of a delay are you seeing and under what action (new email, delete email, move email, etc).

FYI I am connecting to Exchange 2010 SP3 and also Office 365 (Microsoft moved my mailbox to the cloud recently). My devices shows me new messages within a minute or so versus the 1/2+ hour of before.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228
    03-18-14 06:36 AM

What version Exchange server are you connecting to? Perhaps there is a difference there. Also how long of a delay are you seeing and under what action (new email, delete email, move email, etc).

FYI I am connecting to Exchange 2010 SP3 and also Office 365 (Microsoft moved my mailbox to the cloud recently). My devices shows me new messages within a minute or so versus the 1/2+ hour of before.

Thanks for your experience, I'm checking with my email provider to see what version they are using. I will get back soon with my information.
    03-18-14 02:47 PM
    Thanks VERY much for the ongoing feedback - I (and I am sure everyone else!) sincerely appreciates it.

FYI - It looks like .2234 just leaked today so perhaps that might help?

Also, now that Verizon has finally provided their Q10 update (.2122), I was wondering if anyone is going to try that official OS with regards to the Exchange delay? I'm really looking forward to FINALLY buying a Q10 if it appears that 2122 helps. I'm concerned based on the feedback in this thread that perhaps it was 2228 that fixed this bug for some, which would imply that Verizon's official release today (2122) will probably INCLUDE the delay!

Thanks for everyone's help,
    Jeremy
    03-19-14 01:45 AM
    FYI - It looks like .2234 just leaked today so perhaps that might help?

Also, now that Verizon has finally provided their Q10 update (.2122), I was wondering if anyone is going to try that official OS with regards to the Exchange delay? I'm really looking forward to FINALLY buying a Q10 if it appears that 2122 helps. I'm concerned based on the feedback in this thread that perhaps it was 2228 that fixed this bug for some, which would imply that Verizon's official release today (2122) will probably INCLUDE the delay!

Looking at the changed app BAR files between those different builds, I'm not sure there was much changed of significance that would affect this issue between all of them.

Unless there was some sort of core networking issue in the TCP/IP networking stack that was only noticed in regards to EAS traffic.

I'd rank that likelihood pretty low, though.
    03-19-14 04:52 AM
    FYI I am connecting to Exchange 2010 SP3 and also Office 365 (Microsoft moved my mailbox to the cloud recently).
    I'm curious how you distinguish "cloud" from "over there" or whatever it was previously, in regards to MS's Exchange configuration.

Since the likelihood of your previous server being physically close, I would assume, was already small. So you mostly mean the difference between client traffic staying on the internal network at all times as opposed to traversing the internet?

Because I see people using terminology like "private cloud" these days. Hard to say where one ends and the other begins..
    03-19-14 04:57 AM
    Just updated Z30 with latest update .2228 and Exchange is working good too.

No delay in emails.
    03-19-14 04:59 AM
    I'm curious how you distinguish "cloud" from "over there" or whatever it was previously, in regards to MS's Exchange configuration.

Since the likelihood of your previous server being physically close, I would assume, was already small. So you mostly mean the difference between client traffic staying on the internal network at all times as opposed to traversing the internet?

Because I see people using terminology like "private cloud" these days. Hard to say where one ends and the other begins..
    Whatever it was previously? It was Exchange 2010 based out of Redmond. Yes I too was shocked to see Microsoft wasn't running Exchange 2013 internally, but given the state of things and the direction they are headed in I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised.

Given that I am based out of DC the old servers couldn't have been any further. :-)

03-19-14 07:06 AM

Delay is still there on 2228. It's most notable on new mail delivery. 15-45 minutes. According to bb they're still working on it. I'm testing 2234 just in case it's accidentally fixed.
    03-19-14 07:19 AM
    Delay is still there on 2228. It's most notable on new mail delivery. 15-45 minutes. According to bb they're still working on it. I'm testing 2234 just in case it's accidentally fixed.
    I'm sorry you are still having issues with new email delivery. Mine is much improved.

Can you ping your contacts at BlackBerry for a KB article or something we can refer to?

I just checked to make sure Direct Push wasn't just new email notifications (like with Outlook) and confirmed it is supposed to be for new email and any changes:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/l...xchg.150).aspx
    I have noticed that new email shows.up pretty quickly (in comparison to old versions) but changes to the mailbox like deletes still take a little time.

And thanks for keeping the information sharing ongoing!

03-19-14 08:54 AM
338 ... 89101112 ...