I can no longer use my Z30 reliably anymore, so it is the time for a new phone.
    I know there are many great options on the market now, but I prefer to stay with BlackBerry.

I was waiting for OM phone, but I cannot wait anymore and don’t believe they would release a phone any time soon.

Key2 is the latest BlackBerry phone but it is now very rare and extremely expensive.

I found a very affordable new Motion and plan to purchase it.
    My only concern is the security of the device. Is it safe for me if I only use Play Store apps? Visiting only very reliable websites?
    Use my personal accounts on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and other banking accounts?

My usage is limited and being very careful. How safe is the Motion after not getting any further security patches and use it in a conservative way like mine?
    Suggestions?
    01-26-22 09:42 PM
    I know there are many great options on the market now, but I prefer to stay with BlackBerry.

I was waiting for OM phone, but I cannot wait anymore and don’t believe they would release a phone any time soon.

Key2 is the latest BlackBerry phone but it is now very rare and extremely expensive.

My only concern is the security of the device. Is it safe for me if I only use Play Store apps? Visiting only very reliable websites?
    Use my personal accounts on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and other banking accounts?

My usage is limited and being very careful. How safe is the Motion after not getting any further security patches and use it in a conservative way like mine?
    Suggestions?
    It's not safe. It's not the attempts you see, it's the hidden attempts you don't know about, like payloads inside a text message or email from a friend that neither of you know about because they clicked on something they shouldn't have.
    01-27-22 06:00 AM

Suggestions?
    I see no point in using a Motion in 2022.... if you can use a slab, plenty of other options that are current and not considered outdated and non longer secure. If you think you need the BlackBerry apps to help you make the transition, those can be installed on most any Android phone.
    01-27-22 07:10 AM
    If you want a touch screen phone, there are many great options available.
    01-27-22 10:57 PM
    As everybody has said. If you want a slab phone then get a modern slab of your choice. As long as it works with your carrier and it fits your needs you are good to go. To add on the blackberry apps, I am not sure what os the Motion ended on but no Blackberry app (if I remember correctly) will work on any Android blackberry made before the Key series. Gotta remember the Motion is stuck on a very old os. Since it is an outdated Android, might as well upgrade past it.
    01-28-22 02:48 AM
    As everybody has said. If you want a slab phone then get a modern slab of your choice. As long as it works with your carrier and it fits your needs you are good to go. To add on the blackberry apps, I am not sure what os the Motion ended on but no Blackberry app (if I remember correctly) will work on any Android blackberry made before the Key series. Gotta remember the Motion is stuck on a very old os. Since it is an outdated Android, might as well upgrade past it.
    I didn't have the Motion before, but I guess its last Android version is Oreo like the Key2/LE, and the last security patch is November 2019.
    Not 100% sure, but @conite should know better.
    01-28-22 06:48 AM
    I didn't have the Motion before, but I guess its last Android version is Oreo like the Key2/LE, and the last security patch is November 2019.
    Not 100% sure, but @conite should know better.
    Correct. Oreo. Oct 2019.
    01-28-22 06:51 AM
    Correct. Oreo. Oct 2019.
    Do you know why didn't Dtek50/60 get any major update, while the Priv got two?
    01-28-22 08:13 AM
    The Priv got one, as promised.

Nothing was promised for the DTEKs.
    01-28-22 08:25 AM
    Because by that point BlackBerry was getting out of smartphones and cutting their losses... Much like TCL did with the KEY2 devices. If OM releases a device, if they can't make a go of it... they'll do the same.
    01-28-22 09:12 AM
    The Priv got one, as promised.

Nothing was promised for the DTEKs.
    No but the whole BlackBerry Android Secure program was built around keeping devices current. But yeah Caveat emptor, and read the fine print....

But when BlackBerry short changed folks and then TCL used the same technicality. I can't see Enterprise or Government ever being interested in OM. Even if they put some "promise" in writing....
    01-28-22 09:16 AM
    I sent my Motion to retirement last summer. The only reason was the lack of security updates. Too many important files and business communications, etc. I just could not afford the risk.
    Otherwise, it was a good phone for me in everything, hardware and software. I used and liked BB apps, even the (often criticized) Productivity Tab. But it's just me, I stopped being an "early adopter" years ago.
    eshropshire likes this.
    01-28-22 03:30 PM
    I sent my Motion to retirement last summer. The only reason was the lack of security updates. Too many important files and business communications, etc. I just could not afford the risk.
    Otherwise, it was a good phone for me in everything, hardware and software. I used and liked BB apps, even the (often criticized) Productivity Tab. But it's just me, I stopped being an "early adopter" years ago.
    What's your current phone?
    01-28-22 03:33 PM
    I just moved from Motion to S21 3 weeks ago.
    Loved the phone but the battery was starting to weaken.
    That plus the lack of updates drove me to upgrade.
    I know the S22 is right around the corner, but didn't care.
    Make a move, you won't regret it.
    01-28-22 08:26 PM
    P.S...
    Installed Hub, and enabled swiping instead of buttons. Almost a Z30.
    dmlis likes this.
    01-28-22 08:29 PM
    BlackBerry Hub and BlackBerry Keyboard are good on an non BlackBerry Android

Sent from my SM-A215W using CB Forums mobile app
    dmlis likes this.
    01-28-22 08:43 PM
    What the heck. Signature block just seemed to get enabled.

Edit: Hmmm. Well it did for one post anyway.
    Last edited by spARTacus; 01-28-22 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Update
    01-28-22 08:43 PM
    What's your current phone?
    Galaxy A52 as the primary device and Passport as a pocket typewriter. :-)
    01-29-22 05:23 PM
    What the heck. Signature block just seemed to get enabled.

Edit: Hmmm. Well it did for one post anyway.
    You were holding it right, for once.
    01-29-22 06:30 PM
    You were holding it right, for once.
    Ha. If that was the trick then I'll try to repeat it tonight at snack time mid movie again, while going up the stairs with an empty beer glass for a refill when the rest of the family is coming down with snack bowls, and getting mad at me for stopping mid flight looking at my phone with a weird look.
    01-29-22 07:32 PM