A thought has been stuck in my head for a while now, and I find myself sitting in the airport with plenty of time to type, so here goes:

Would this be possible and if so, would it make sense to attempt... a BlackBerry phone (would this even be a "phone" ), keyboard, Hub suite, the whole shabang, but this device would be running Windows on ARM. Now before you all pile on, telling me how asinine this idea is, hear me out.

MSFT and BlackBerry could work together, as Google and BlackBerry did, to secure the kernel. With all of the tools that MSFT has put out there to make it easier for applications to be ported over and made available in the Windows Store, how much (honest question here) development investment would it take to bring over all security tools/apps/etc?

With Andromeda employing CShell, and being much more flexible from a UI scaling standpoint, could it not run on the form factors that are being employed (KeyOne, KeyTwo, Motion)? Obviously, some upgrades to the internals would be required (looking at you SD 625/660), but this is minor when you consider it's not a complete from-scratch overhaul or new device.

I'm a huge fan of BlackBerry and I love my KeyOne (Z10, PRIV and Passport as well), but I'm not the biggest fan of Android as an OS... nothing specific, just personal preferences.

I'm also a huge fan of MSFT and I loved my Lumia 950, may it rest in peace. I loved many, many things about Windows 10 Mobile as well (may it also rest in peace), and I have high hopes for Windows on ARM.

If you've made it this far, I congratulate you on successfully navigating my jumbled, rambling thoughts. So, what do you think? Would this hypothetical device be possible, and if so, would anyone other than me be interested?
    Last edited by pn210000; 07-06-18 at 09:57 AM.
    07-06-18 08:33 AM
    Too be honest I too would like to see MSFT keep trying in the Mobile sector.... love my Surface Tablet.

But don't think MSFT needs BlackBerry as I don't think any of BlackBerry's security experience applies to Windows. I'd much rather see a full desktop version of Outlook than a ported over version of HUB+.
    07-06-18 10:13 AM