Blackberry Storm 9530
    07-26-17 02:19 PM
    LOl Illegal? Who would prosecute you exactly? No its not illegal if its your own device.
    07-26-17 02:22 PM
    LOl Illegal? Who would prosecute you exactly? No its not illegal if its your own device.
    I'm the kind of person who doesn't download movies, music illegally even if nothing would happen to me. just don't believe its right. so it had nothing to do with the prosecuting part. Just wondering if its technically illegal or not to hack it and get apps and things that aren't licensed by blackberry etc
    07-26-17 02:29 PM
    Even if you had free rein over the device it's still a Storm 9530, though.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and xandros9 like this.
    07-26-17 02:30 PM
    I'm the kind of person who doesn't download movies, music illegally even if nothing would happen to me. just don't believe its right. so it had nothing to do with the prosecuting part. Just wondering if its technically illegal or not to hack it and get apps and things that aren't licensed by blackberry etc
    What apps would you be getting that aren't licensed by BlackBerry? How are you hacking it?
    07-26-17 02:34 PM
    The thing about blackberry legacy devices is, no matter if you hack it or not, software that isn't signed by BlackBerry WONT run on it except for a few games and things you probably can't even find anymore. And you didn't need to hack it to make those work.
    07-26-17 02:37 PM
    What apps would you be getting that aren't licensed by BlackBerry? How are you hacking it?
    I'm basically referring to doing the same thing as jailbreaking an iPhone. getting free rein over the device to get apps that aren't available in the normal app store etc.
    07-26-17 02:38 PM
    The thing about blackberry legacy devices is, no matter if you hack it or not, software that isn't signed by BlackBerry WONT run on it except for a few games and things you probably can't even find anymore. And you didn't need to hack it to make those work.
    I haven't gotten to that yet part. Was curious if it was legal first and then was going to proceed from there
    07-26-17 02:39 PM
    i wasn't aware of that. so how would you make those work without hacking? I'm trying to get a parental control on this device but there isn't one available for OS 5. its a long story.
    07-26-17 02:41 PM
    That seems backwards to me. The reason being, ethics are a moot point if the venture itself is pointless. Which in this case it is.
    07-26-17 02:42 PM
    I'm basically referring to doing the same thing as jailbreaking an iPhone. getting free rein over the device to get apps that aren't available in the normal app store etc.
    But where would these apps come from? Jail breaking an iPhone allows you to access apps because those apps have been made available by someone. Where would apps for your storm come from.
    07-26-17 02:42 PM
    But where would these apps come from? Jail breaking an iPhone allows you to access apps because those apps have been made available by someone. Where would apps for your storm come from.
    i've found websites online that have apps that say they work for it
    07-26-17 02:43 PM
    That seems backwards to me. The reason being, ethics are a moot point if the venture itself is pointless. Which in this case it is.
    there are some available but not in the app world store is what i meant
    07-26-17 02:44 PM
    Lol the short answer is, aside from a few games and things, there arent any apps for the storm. If you really want to install a parental control app, you'll have to get an iPhone or Android device.
    07-26-17 02:44 PM
    There is no way of jailbreaking a storm or any legacy blackberry to allow the use of unsigned software.
    stlabrat likes this.
    07-26-17 02:46 PM
    I haven't gotten to that yet part. Was curious if it was legal first and then was going to proceed from there
    Anyways, regardless of all the other questions, Jailbreaking is not illegal anywhere. Just really voids your warranty (which isn't an issue for you) and opens you up to mallware. Either way, unless you know something others don't, chances are you won't be able to jailbreak a storm anyways.
    07-26-17 02:46 PM
    There is no way of jailbreaking a storm or any legacy blackberry to allow the use of unsigned software.
    I see. thanks for letting me know
    07-26-17 02:47 PM
    Anyways, regardless of all the other questions, Jailbreaking is not illegal anywhere. Just really voids your warranty (which isn't an issue for you) and opens you up to mallware. Either way, unless you know something others don't, chances are you won't be able to jailbreak a storm anyways.
    gotcha thanks
    07-26-17 02:48 PM
    The most pertinent answer is that ethics aside there's no point to trying to jailbreak a legacy BlackBerry so what's with the "anyways" . Kinda makes it seem like you thought my answer wasn't useful or was a waste of time.
    07-26-17 02:54 PM
    The most pertinent answer is that ethics aside there's no point to trying to jailbreak a legacy BlackBerry so what's with the "anyways" . Kinda makes it seem like you thought my answer wasn't useful or was a waste of time.
    He was just answering my original question which I appreciate because its just nice to know in general for in the future for another phone or something.
    07-26-17 02:59 PM
    I wasn't even responding to you. "Anyways" just meant that regardless of everything else in the thread, the answer to his original question is what I provided which is no its not illegal.
    07-26-17 03:02 PM
    Closest thing to hacking a STORM is some of the stuff that Lyrical use to do.... which wasn't rooting or jailbreaking. Just some control over what was installed, to allow for more memory.

If you want to install apps that aren't in BlackBerry World, there is no problem doing that. If the apps are made for BBOS (whatever version you are on.... as they were sometimes version dependent) use an app like BBSAK.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-26-17 03:12 PM
    Closest thing to hacking a STORM is some of the stuff that Lyrical use to do.... which wasn't rooting or jailbreaking. Just some control over what was installed, to allow for more memory.

If you want to install apps that aren't in BlackBerry World, there is no problem doing that. If the apps are made for BBOS (whatever version you are on.... as they were sometimes version dependent) use an app like BBSAK.
    I don't think you really even needed that. As long as the jad and associated cod files were on the phone, you could browse to it in the file manager and install from there. Installing app files from any source was never an issue on the legacy BBOS. The BlackBerry App Store only came about around the time OS 5 came out, which is the OS for the Storm. While the OS needs to be signed, I don't think that was an app requirement.

Joel
    07-26-17 05:54 PM