Hello
    I wanted to make it a try, not opening the Amazon stores or installing GPStore on my wiped PP after the update, so I transfered two payed app from GPStore, that I had on my Q10 and never opened the Amazon stores yet...
    Is there any known issue doing such, besides of course not getting the updates??

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 06:14 AM
    Just put the Google Play Store on your device.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=985344

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-21-15 06:34 AM
    Na na I am trying to be off google and amazon playstores, but having the wanted two apps, perhaps will buy one more that isn't available on bbworld, but download it onto the Q 10 and transfer the app only to the PP

Don't know how long I will go this way, but I had the feeling that when having amazon and gpstore on my PP it got slow

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 08:53 AM
    Na na I am trying to be off google and amazon playstores, but having the wanted two apps, perhaps will buy one more that isn't available on bbworld, but download it onto the Q 10 and transfer the app only to the PP

Don't know how long I will go this way, but I had the feeling that when having amazon and gpstore on my PP it got slow

Posted via CB10
    Having the Google Play Store on your device does not affect performance.

09-21-15 09:07 AM
    Having the Google Play Store on your device does not affect performance.

Hough! ... well I was experiencing it differently as said already!

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 09:19 AM
    Of course Google services affects performance since it runs constantly in the background.

You can use astro file manager android app to make a backup of Amazon apps. It'll create the apk and save it to your device. You can also find apks everywhere on the net, jsyk.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    09-21-15 10:14 AM
    Of course Google services affects performance since it runs constantly in the background.

On a Passport, with 3GB of ram, the performance loss is insignificant and not detectable.

We are not talking about Google Play Services, but the Google Play Store btw. Although the former doesn't seem to impact performance either.

habs_fan likes this.
    09-21-15 10:24 AM
    On a Passport, with 3GB of ram, the performance loss is insignificant and not detectable.

We are not talking about Google Play Services, but the Google Play Store btw. Although the former doesn't seem to impact performance either.

You need those services, account and id to run the playstore. Granted those two alone don't take up too much usage, but they are still running constantly. If you don't turn off automatic updates in the playstore it's constantly pushing you something. and if you haven't gone into the app manager to turn off the apps running while minimized it'll use even more resources.
    You know all this and have probably done it already, lots of users don't realize this.

09-21-15 10:43 AM
    You need those services, account and id to run the playstore. Granted those two alone don't take up too much usage, but they are still running constantly. If you don't turn off automatic updates in the playstore it's constantly pushing you something. and if you haven't gone into the app manager to turn off the apps running while minimized it'll use even more resources.
    You know all this and have probably done it already, lots of users don't realize this.

You do not need Google Play Services to run the Play Store.

09-21-15 11:16 AM

You don't need Google Play Services to run Google Play Store. Some apps that you download from Play Store or from Snap may ask for Play Services though.

And about performance... It has been discussed a 1000 times. Play Store uses around 0.0x% of resources if in idle mode.

You can simply verify that. Install Play store, don't run it for 48 hours and then check the stats in Device Monitor.

And maybe a last info: Autoupdates are turned OFF by default in Play Store 5.9.12 and better. So there is no need anymore to fiddle around with that.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-21-15 11:32 AM
    You don't need Google Play Services to run Google Play Store. Some apps that you download from Play Store or from Snap may ask for Play Services though.

And about performance... It has been discussed a 1000 times. Play Store uses around 0.0x% of resources if in idle mode.

You can simply verify that. Install Play store, don't run it for 48 hours and then check the stats in Device Monitor.

And maybe a last info: Autoupdates are turned OFF by default in Play Store 5.9.12 and better. So there is no need anymore to fiddle around with that.
    I did just reinstall it and I did not know they were off. That's good to know. Ok maybe it was full Google play services that I had my issues with it. And I was referring to id and account services as being Google services, not play services, I didn't explain myself, my bad.

09-21-15 04:32 PM
    Auto update is not off by default as I just received more updates. So you're misinformed on that. Also it's used more than 0.0 percent performance as claimed since it's still auto updating just as I said, constantly doing something. Albeit it's very minimal, it's still more than nothing. Sometimes I think people just like to argue.

09-24-15 06:36 AM
    Auto update is not off by default as I just received more updates. So you're misinformed on that. Also it's used more than 0.0 percent performance as claimed since it's still auto updating just as I said, constantly doing something. Albeit it's very minimal, it's still more than nothing. Sometimes I think people just like to argue.

By "people", you mean Cobalt himself?

I for one have never had an auto-update with 5.9.12.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-24-15 06:43 AM

Ok, let me clarify this from a technical view.

On a fresh install of Google Play Store 5.9.12...

1. The store does not automatically DOWNLOAD app updates. All previous versions did that, and because the community didn't like that behaviour, I implemented a fix.
    2. The store still NOTIFIES about updates and shows available updates in the my apps section. To show the notifications, Play Store sets an alarm in the Android runtime that is triggered every 3600000 seconds (1 hour). The advantage of that method is that the Play Store must NOT RUN in the background. If the alarm in the runtime goes off, the runtime invokes the Play Store and then the store does the update check. This is how battery saving works on Android.

So basicly said, Play store uses battery when:
    a) It's open and running (while browsing or downloading)
    b) Every hour for a few seconds, when it is triggered to look for updates

If the Store is not in state a) or b) it uses 0.00% of battery.

As the store does the update checks at least every hour, this finally results in a battery usage of 0.05%, if you NEVER manually open the store.

That's it... and please don't argue with me on those technical facts.
    09-24-15 07:48 AM

You installed an older version in that case. It's really well documented, there is no argument here.
    09-24-15 08:06 AM
    Thanks for the technical explanation, which makes sense and explains why I see it doing things when I never use it.

Cobalt232 likes this.
    09-24-15 11:21 AM