The native texting app of android and BB Hub are somewhat not integrated especially when making new message.
    11-11-17 02:29 AM
    GOD, I hope so. I got my K1 in October and I am still frustrated by this OS and it's "apps". The stock google text app and all of the text apps I have tried - all fall short in one way or another. This OS makes me want to go back to BB10. Everyday I check for the latest K1 update, hoping to get the locker feature so that I can ditch the google photo app. I really can't believe people complained so much about Blackberry World apps - equally - google play is littered with complaints about software issues. Software is EXPENSIVE to upkeep, especially when your writing within an open source ecosystem. I don't see how this can viable - especially when so many people think software should be "free". As a wordpress user - this is the same kind of sentiment you see in the wordpress forums. "well this ain't free?". Coincidentally all of those apps in google play "ain't bug free either!!"
    In contrast to bberry android, BB10 was solid, symphonic and logical.
    Perhaps this android thing will work out - but i have wasted so much time searching for the right apps - to replace the stock google apps. None of them were "just right" .
    Please bring back
    - the BB10 calculator
    - texting
    -photo gallery
    -square calendar
    - I read that the file manager and locker were coming - fingers crossed
    -like other comments i have read on google play - what is with the boat and balloon in the prod. app?
    Just like Google material design - bberry fans admire a certain aesthetic too. Please keep us in mind.
    01-21-18 01:27 AM
    GOD, I hope so. I got my K1 in October and I am still frustrated by this OS and it's "apps". The stock google text app and all of the text apps I have tried - all fall short in one way or another. This OS makes me want to go back to BB10. Everyday I check for the latest K1 update, hoping to get the locker feature so that I can ditch the google photo app. I really can't believe people complained so much about Blackberry World apps - equally - google play is littered with complaints about software issues. Software is EXPENSIVE to upkeep, especially when your writing within an open source ecosystem. I don't see how this can viable - especially when so many people think software should be "free". As a wordpress user - this is the same kind of sentiment you see in the wordpress forums. "well this ain't free?". Coincidentally all of those apps in google play "ain't bug free either!!"
    In contrast to bberry android, BB10 was solid, symphonic and logical.
    Perhaps this android thing will work out - but i have wasted so much time searching for the right apps - to replace the stock google apps. None of them were "just right" .
    Please bring back
    - the BB10 calculator
    - texting
    -photo gallery
    -square calendar
    - I read that the file manager and locker were coming - fingers crossed
    -like other comments i have read on google play - what is with the boat and balloon in the prod. app?
    Just like Google material design - bberry fans admire a certain aesthetic too. Please keep us in mind.
    Unfortunately some BB10 features are disliked by the non-BB10 crowd. Sometimes, if you think about it, certain BB10 ( or different OS ) features are just too non-mainstream and therefore, developer can't make any money.

Search the forums and you'll find many users that will recommend better apps for what you might want switch over to. Good luck.
    01-21-18 01:59 PM
    Hi Chuck,
    Just this morning when I finished a call with my mom, the google text app showed my moms name in my text list. I called my mom, and my mom does not have a cellphone. I checked bb prod app and the hub - she did not show up as a text message there, so I knew it was not a bberry software issue. This is an android phone - with a google text app - and it failed to work properly. Finding a replacement that works without bugs is not easy, as someone who is accustomed to troubleshooting software bc i use wordpress - fixing and addressing bugs is a part of that ecosystem. That's what happens when multiple plugins from multiple authors work together. You end up spending a lot of time troubleshooting. It's also a reason why wordpress users have left in droves, and new platforms like shopify and more have grown. You get to a point where you just get tired of dealing with bugs.
    Native bberry apps are the only solution.
    Aside from security, I am guessing that is why bberry has developed a whole fleet of android work apps for enterprise. Google play is not a reliable software source and I say that because I've spent time reading the comments.
    Rather than go iphone, I would seriously contemplate changing the way I use my phone.
    Cheers
    01-21-18 03:02 PM
    Hi Chuck,
    Just this morning when I finished a call with my mom, the google text app showed my moms name in my text list. I called my mom, and my mom does not have a cellphone. I checked bb prod app and the hub - she did not show up as a text message there, so I knew it was not a bberry software issue. This is an android phone - with a google text app - and it failed to work properly. Finding a replacement that works without bugs is not easy, as someone who is accustomed to troubleshooting software bc i use wordpress - fixing and addressing bugs is a part of that ecosystem. That's what happens when multiple plugins from multiple authors work together. You end up spending a lot of time troubleshooting. It's also a reason why wordpress users have left in droves, and new platforms like shopify and more have grown. You get to a point where you just get tired of dealing with bugs.
    Native bberry apps are the only solution.
    Aside from security, I am guessing that is why bberry has developed a whole fleet of android work apps for enterprise. Google play is not a reliable software source and I say that because I've spent time reading the comments.
    Rather than go iphone, I would seriously contemplate changing the way I use my phone.
    Cheers
    I've only uses the Google text app on the KEYone. I've used Messenger by Softcoil on my PRIV and DTEK. This is first time, I used what came installed since Alcatel includes stock app on their other devices.

I've never experienced what you're discussing and I'm not sure what the cause would be. I doubt BB is making apps for Android when there are so many "free" choices. If they do, I'd consider BB apps but I'm not waiting. I have IOS devices but I'm OK with BBAndroid for now. As I said, there's a lot of people on here that have researched different 3rd party apps that can discuss pros and cons of many apps better than me.
    01-21-18 03:24 PM
    The subject of native SMS app for BlackBerry Android devices has been an open topic here for a long time. There are several threads on the subject.

There is no doubt that in order to create a proper 'in line' reply experience BlackBerry will have to make Hub an SMS client rather than continue to rely on external app integration.

In short, the reason they don't do it is because Google require extensive documentation from OEM that want to design their own SMS app; the same does not apply for independent SMS app developers like Textra for example and therefore their viability to exist.

IMO for a company the size of BlackBerry to use 'extra work' as an excuse is ridiculous. They should go the extra mile despite the requirements and create a fully fledged Hub with SMS client support.

Some might say: 'show me the ROI' or 'there is no market'

ROI will show positive after market was created.

In other words, if one want to have a market they need to create a unique product rather than follow the herd which practically makes them another trader in a sea of traders.
    Last edited by RK_BB; 01-21-18 at 04:06 PM.
    01-21-18 03:54 PM
    The subject of native SMS app for BlackBerry Android devices has been an open topic here for a long time. There are several threads on the subject.

There is no doubt that in order to create a proper 'in line' reply experience BlackBerry will have to make Hub an SMS client rather than continue to rely on external app integration.

In short, the reason they don't do it is because Google require extensive documentation from OEM that want to design their own SMS app; the same does not apply for independent SMS app developers like Textra for example and therefore their viability to exist.

IMO for a company the size of BlackBerry to use 'extra work' as an excuse is ridiculous. They should go the extra mile despite the requirements and create a fully fledged Hub with SMS client support.

Some might say: 'show me the ROI' or 'there is no market'

ROI will show positive after market was created.

In other words, if one want to have a market they need to create a unique product rather than follow the herd which practically makes them another trader in a sea of traders.
    So BBMo should drop in the Alcatel system text app?
    01-21-18 04:55 PM
    So BBMo should drop in the Alcatel system text app?
    Good to know there is one. For all I know BlackBerry Android devices ship with the stock Android Messages app which to me is useless in the way it integrates with Hub.
    01-21-18 04:58 PM
    Good to know there is one. For all I know BlackBerry Android devices ship with the stock Android Messages app which to me is useless in the way it integrates with Hub.
    They do ship with stock Google Android Messages App. The Alcatel devices I own ship with Alcatel system app. My point is that BBMo could pay BB to incorporate their Alcatel system app cheaper than paying BB to build from the ground up.
    01-21-18 05:08 PM
    They do ship with stock Google Android Messages App. The Alcatel devices I own ship with Alcatel system app. My point is that BBMo could pay BB to incorporate their Alcatel system app cheaper than paying BB to build from the ground up.
    Wonderful idea!!!
    01-21-18 05:10 PM
    The reality BlackBerry can't even coordinate with EMTEK to make BBM properly integrate in the hub (which it initially did) and BBM is their own app.
    01-21-18 05:17 PM
    The reality BlackBerry can't even coordinate with EMTEK to make BBM properly integrate in the hub (which it initially did) and BBM is their own app.
    The reality is that BB doesn't care if they're not getting paid since well, they don't care if they're not getting paid. My point was that if people want stuff fixed, they should expect the licensee to foot the bill.

I'm serious. Its up to BBMo to make the phone successful or not.
    01-21-18 05:20 PM
    The reality is that BB doesn't care if they're not getting paid since well, they don't care if they're not getting paid. My point was that if people want stuff fixed, they should expect the licensee to foot the bill.

BlackBerry Mobile and BlackBerry need to invest in marketing the hardware and the software as JV.

It cannot be a one way street given the business model they decided to deploy.

In order for BlackBerry to continue gaining license revenue they need to provide software and that means support, update and continued innovation.

In order for BlackBerry Mobile to sell phones they need to invest in local market targeted ads.

It can't all fall on BlackBerry Mobile or else it will fail.
    01-21-18 05:27 PM

I wasn't disputing that but ultimately it's BlackBerry who is behind the software. Their name is all over the android version and all the suite of apps. And any revenue from those apps is likely theirs or mostly theirs.
    01-21-18 05:53 PM
    Sorry for being uninitiated, but by the implication of the thread title is BlackBerry making its own texting app?
    01-21-18 05:59 PM
    Sorry for being uninitiated, but by the implication of the thread title is BlackBerry making its own texting app?
    Other than random support issues and news pieces, almost anything that's discussed here lead to business decisions BlackBerry & BlackBerry Mobile are taking and how in the end it affect the user.

Inevitably, many threads that discuss this feature or another end up in a similar exchange which is proving that the community is pretty divided, specifically on the subject of software usability and user experience.
    01-21-18 06:10 PM
    Other than random support issues and news pieces, almost anything that's discussed here lead to business decisions BlackBerry & BlackBerry Mobile are taking and how in the end it affect the user.

Inevitably, many threads that discuss this feature or another end up in a similar exchange which is proving that the community is pretty divided, specifically on the subject of software usability and user experience.
    Thanks for the reply, but it seems to be more or tangentially related to what I'm asking. It was a question with either a "yes" or "no" respond (not to be rude).
    01-21-18 06:13 PM
    Thanks for the reply, but it seems to be more or tangentially related to what I'm asking. It was a question with either a "yes" or "no" respond (not to be rude).
    Well, bluntly answering 'yes' or 'no' leads to more questions for which I like to share my experience before they are asked as I have 'been around the block'. I would certainly appreciate someone taking the time to provide a detailed reply rather than bluntly replying with a 'yes' or 'no' especially if they have more information to share that can help to give closure to the matter.

And don't worry, I take nothing personally or else I would go crazy around here.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    01-21-18 06:19 PM
    Well, bluntly answering 'yes' or 'no' leads to more questions for which I like to share my experience before they are asked as I have 'been around the block'. I would certainly appreciate someone taking the time to provide a detailed reply rather than bluntly replying with a 'yes' or 'no' especially if they have more information to share that can help to give closure to the matter.

And don't worry, I take nothing personally or else I would go crazy around here.
    I see. But as for me I just desired an answer of "yes, it's confirmed and being worked on" or "no it's not, this is just rumor". I would follow the thread if I desired more information but I just wanted context behind what was all being said.
    Thank you for the courtesy, though.
    01-21-18 06:26 PM
    BlackBerry Mobile and BlackBerry need to invest in marketing the hardware and the software as JV.

It cannot be a one way street given the business model they decided to deploy.

In order for BlackBerry to continue gaining license revenue they need to provide software and that means support, update and continued innovation.

In order for BlackBerry Mobile to sell phones they need to invest in local market targeted ads.

It can't all fall on BlackBerry Mobile or else it will fail.
    That's what I mean by saying BB doesn't care. A licensing agreement is not a joint venture per se because they're not sharing the risk and reward closely. Most licensing agreements like this, usually guarantee the brand owner fixed amount up to a certain point.

I believe that value of BB to BBMo/TCL was in perceived goodwill still with carriers. There's no way, regulators would allow the purchase of BB with strong ties to and in communist nation state.
    Through licensing, a certain amount of political maneuvering is avoided with carriers and regulators.

BB will only do what BBMo pays to do unless the licensing agreement requires it as part of the original payment or any ongoing payments. Neither company is like the old BB. Chen has brought a very strict economic discipline to BB. I'm sure they watch how toilet paper is used.
    01-21-18 06:28 PM
    I see. But as for me I just desired an answer of "yes, it's confirmed and being worked on" or "no it's not, this is just rumor". I would follow the thread if I desired more information but I just wanted context behind what was all being said.
    Thank you for the courtesy, though.
    Can you please direct to what is being said and where? Very interesting to me.

As a piece of advice, perhaps it's better to state in the original post that you are looking for a yes or no answer as any thread with an interesting title will most likely draw more attention to it, all of which will lead to this
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    01-21-18 06:28 PM
    Can you please direct to what is being said and where? Very interesting to me.

As a piece of advice, perhaps it's better to state in the original post that you are looking for a yes or no answer as any thread with an interesting title will most likely draw more attention to it, all of which will lead to this
    Noted.
    But at the end of all of what was said, I still don't have a confirmation or not to my original question.
    01-21-18 06:31 PM
    That's what I mean by saying BB doesn't care. A licensing agreement is not a joint venture per se because they're not sharing the risk and reward closely. Most licensing agreements like this, usually guarantee the brand owner fixed amount up to a certain point.

I believe that value of BB to BBMo/TCL was in perceived goodwill still with carriers. There's no way, regulators would allow the purchase of BB with strong ties to and in communist nation state.
    Through licensing, a certain amount of political maneuvering is avoided with carriers and regulators.

BB will only do what BBMo pays to do unless the licensing agreement requires it as part of the original payment or any ongoing payments. Neither company is like the old BB. Chen has brought a very strict economic discipline to BB. I'm sure they watch how toilet paper is used.
    Very complex, isn't it? It's fascinating to me.
    01-21-18 06:31 PM
    Noted.
    But at the end of all of what was said, I still don't have a confirmation or not to my original question.
    Well that's because nobody knows. BlackBerry doesn't release a single hint to what's coming.

I am still interested to know what is the source of your assumption that something like that is in the works.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    01-21-18 06:33 PM
    Well that's because nobody knows. BlackBerry doesn't release a single hint to what's coming.

I am still interested to know what is the source of your assumption that something like that is in the works.
    I see.

And from what I said before, I got the assumption from the title. But by now re-reading it I can see how I mislead myself into thinking such way. Thanks for the patience.
    01-21-18 06:35 PM
27 12