Bb10 os is the best till date just a little lag in application segment but I guess they should try n over come this thing. Maybe find out a better way to combine Android and Bb10os
    02-09-17 01:19 PM
    It's Android all the way baby! from now on.
    02-09-17 01:27 PM
    If someone wants to build a BB10 device, BB will provide license the OS, but they are out of the device business.
    02-09-17 01:28 PM
    BB10 is history.... Chen pretty much killed it two years ago. Cost to upgrade and probable licensing deals with Google probably make it an impossibility.

If TCL does well and there is money to be made... do expect more investment to be made "improving" Android.
    02-09-17 02:08 PM
    Over come this thing? What "thing" is that?

There are three possibilities as far as the typical user here:

1. BlackBerry will keep BB10 on life support until some as yet unknown partner licenses BB10 and designs, manufacturers, sells, and supports new BB10 hardware, but no partner materializes, and either BB10 continues on life support indefinitely or BlackBerry pulls the plug

2. A partner materializes and produces new BB10 hardware for public sale

3. BlackBerry decides to get back into the business of designing, manufacturing, selling, and supporting BB10 hardware for public sale

If I had to bet, I would bet #1.

I think #3 is more likely than #2, but neither is more likely than #1.
    02-09-17 02:11 PM
    To say there is "a little lag" in applications is like saying I could totally win the 100m gold medal in the Olympics if it weren't for my little lag in speed.
    02-09-17 02:20 PM
    To say there is "a little lag" in applications is like saying I could totally win the 100m gold medal in the Olympics if it weren't for my little lag in speed.
    Ouch, but true. Lol
    02-09-17 02:25 PM
    Over come this thing? What "thing" is that?

There are three possibilities as far as the typical user here:

1. BlackBerry will keep BB10 on life support until some as yet unknown partner licenses BB10 and designs, manufacturers, sells, and supports new BB10 hardware, but no partner materializes, and either BB10 continues on life support indefinitely or BlackBerry pulls the plug

2. A partner materializes and produces new BB10 hardware for public sale

3. BlackBerry decides to get back into the business of designing, manufacturing, selling, and supporting BB10 hardware

If I had to bet, I would bet #1.

I think #3 is more likely than #2, but neither one is more likely than #1.
    BB10 is not a fine wine.... it isn't going to age well sitting on a shelf. I doubt anyone would be interested in a 32Bit OS that utilizes a four year old Android Runtime. Money would need to be invested in updating BB10 to today's standards.... $100's of millions. BlackBerry made $12 million last quarter using non standard accounting, using normal accounting they lost $112 million.... they don't have $100's of millions to invest in BB10.

Then there is the question of how useful BB10 would be without the Runtime... as few believe that Google would allow BlackBerry to stay a partner if they promoted a forked version of Android.

Unless BlackBerry announces otherwise... I think you can skip all the way to the end of #1. They are currently past the point where they said they would support BB10 with updates.
    pgg101 likes this.
    02-09-17 02:28 PM
    BB10 is not a fine wine.... it isn't going to age well sitting on a shelf. I doubt anyone would be interested in a 32Bit OS that utilizes a four year old Android Runtime. Money would need to be invested in updating BB10 to today's standards.... $100's of millions. BlackBerry made $12 million last quarter using non standard accounting, using normal accounting they lost $112 million.... they don't have $100's of millions to invest in BB10.

Then there is the question of how useful BB10 would be without the Runtime... as few believe that Google would allow BlackBerry to stay a partner if they promoted a forked version of Android.

Unless BlackBerry announces otherwise... I think you can skip all the way to the end of #1. They are currently past the point where they said they would support BB10 with updates.
    Sure. But I didn't mean to imply there really is no clock running on door #1. Obviously there is. And obviously if BB10 is going to be provided in new production hardware after even a year from now it can't be the BB10 today. (Well, it "can", but it will not turn out well for the partner, for BlackBerry, or for the OS.) To me that goes without saying. Yes, BB10 is not like a fine wine.

As far as the runtime, I could do without it. I know I'm not alone, but I'm not sure if me and those who agree could fill a small conference room in a Holiday Inn Express.

What I've been hoping for is some concrete news, and soon, of fresh BB10 hardware. Without fresh hardware the debate over the BB10 OS is moot. I think that news has to be very soon or else it isn't coming. I'm to the point I don't think it is coming. Every day I wonder even more how BlackBerry continues to pretend it is committed to BB10.

(Still, I have BB10 devices and BB10 backup devices.)
    02-09-17 03:05 PM

What I've been hoping for is some concrete news, and soon, of fresh BB10 hardware. Without fresh hardware the debate over the BB10 OS is moot. I think that news has to be very soon or else it isn't coming. I'm to the point I don't think it is coming. Every day I wonder even more how BlackBerry continues to pretend it is committed to BB10.
    BlackBerry just said at CES that there are no BB10 devices in the pipeline.

New BB10 Devices Not In The Pipeline: BlackBerry | Ubergizmo
    02-09-17 06:57 PM
    Isnt the reality that technically blackberry will never make another device of any type again?
    02-09-17 08:27 PM
    Isnt the reality that technically blackberry will never make another device of any type again?
    Yes.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-17 08:36 PM
    BlackBerry just said at CES that there are no BB10 devices in the pipeline.

New BB10 Devices Not In The Pipeline: BlackBerry | Ubergizmo
    Yes. I know. I read the tech news and BlackBerry releases as well. And I can also understand what I read and hear. At least I may have my own interpretation of the information.

Not in the pipeline means there is not even one new BB10 device in development now. It may mean, and probably does mean, there is not even one new BB10 device in the very earliest of pre-development now. I think what it does mean is right now management and marketing, neither at BlackBerry or any potential partners, are asking for new BB10 hardware.

Tomorrow, next quarter, later this year something could change. Maybe not. Probably not. But not in the pipeline now means only what it means. It doesn't necessarily mean there cant or won't be a course correction downstream.

But as was pointed out, the clock is counting down on BB10. Some say the time has run out. I'm not convinced.
    02-10-17 06:17 AM
    But if BB10 will be licensed by somebody other than BB,as in whole they will be allowed to update the ART right?

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2205
    02-10-17 06:23 AM
    In addition to what has already been said, it's costing BlackBerry money to keep BB Maps working with TomTom map data, a cost that is redundant with Android. So even "sitting on the shelf" BB10 is a liability.
    02-10-17 06:29 AM
    But if BB10 will be licensed by somebody other than BB,as in whole they will be allowed to update the ART right?

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2205
    No

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 06:55 AM
    Yes. I know. I read the tech news and BlackBerry releases as well. And I can also understand what I read and hear. At least I may have my own interpretation of the information.

Not in the pipeline means there is not even one new BB10 device in development now. It may mean, and probably does mean, there is not even one new BB10 device in the very earliest of pre-development now. I think what it does mean is right now management and marketing, neither at BlackBerry or any potential partners, are asking for new BB10 hardware.

Tomorrow, next quarter, later this year something could change. Maybe not. Probably not. But not in the pipeline now means only what it means. It doesn't necessarily mean there cant or won't be a course correction downstream.

But as was pointed out, the clock is counting down on BB10. Some say the time has run out. I'm not convinced.
    Not only is there no BB10 devices in the Pipeline.... there isn't a Pipeline anymore at BlackBerry. They are dismantling all hardware development, as Chen still needs to cut cost to try and get the GAPP numbers positive (still -$112 Million).

As for BB10... not really sure what the difference in QNX and BB10 are - I expect as QBX grows complexity and capabilities, it's very possible that some of what BlackBerry learned with BB10 will be utilized. At some future time (10 years), there might even be another QNX powered smartphone like device - when apps are replaced by bots and AI, and platforms are all 100% cloud based (don't see Apple or Google wanting this).
    02-10-17 07:49 AM
    Not only is there no BB10 devices in the Pipeline.... there isn't a Pipeline anymore at BlackBerry. They are dismantling all hardware development, as Chen still needs to cut cost to try and get the GAPP numbers positive (still -$112 Million).

As for BB10... not really sure what the difference in QNX and BB10 are - I expect as QBX grows complexity and capabilities, it's very possible that some of what BlackBerry learned with BB10 will be utilized. At some future time (10 years), there might even be another QNX powered smartphone like device - when apps are replaced by bots and AI, and platforms are all 100% cloud based (don't see Apple or Google wanting this).
    As for possibilities, that's something to contemplate.

RIM just didn't spring up from nothing. RIM stepped in and met a need where the market leaders at the time were falling short. Then RIM fell short. And of course BlackBerry failed to get its game back with BB10.

What can't go on forever won't. Apple has gone through a cycle and probably will again. Android may be the king of the mountain now, but there will be a new king, and there will be new lesser players.

I truly believe BlackBerry's mobile concepts and principles have a market even for some non-enterprise users, maybe a niche market. Someone will find a way to make money in that space without Android, and we'll see something someday. I would love it if it is a BB10 successor. Question is when, and will our BB10 devices make it til then. Or will I live to see it.
    02-10-17 08:04 AM
    There's also the problem of paying Qualcomm the apparently exorbitant prices they want for new BB10 drivers for their newer CPUs.

Unless you want BlackBerry to continue using the nearly 3-year-old Snapdragon 801 - the last one BlackBerry got drivers for when they made the Passport.

Joel
    02-10-17 08:54 AM
    No

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 09:24 AM
    There's also the problem of paying Qualcomm the apparently exorbitant prices they want for new BB10 drivers for their newer CPUs.

Unless you want BlackBerry to continue using the nearly 3-year-old Snapdragon 801 - the last one BlackBerry got drivers for when they made the Passport.

Joel
    No, not necessarily. People are talking about this and that and building strawmen that they can then tear down.

What Ira wants is to not buy anything Android, and not buy anything iOS. What Ira wants is to buy and continue buying a smartphone (and even tablets or desktop devices, while he is wishing) that run BlackBerry's OS built to the BlackBerry (and RIM before it) requirements, and also with BlackBerry sensibilities. I don't think "blackdroid" fits that bill and I'm not even going to try.

There are all kinds of niche markets. This isn't new. BlackBerry so far failed to navigate the niche when BBOS and BB10 users became a tiny group. I am a BB10 customer and I would pay a premium to be a customer of some BBX smartphone platform, or some Y platform that meets my needs and desires.

There is a path, a path that doesn't involve all the roadblocks people here are throwing out. Granted, BlackBerry may never find that path.
    02-10-17 11:26 AM
    No, not necessarily. People are talking about this and that and building strawmen that they can then tear down.

What Ira wants is to not buy anything Android, and not buy anything iOS. What Ira wants is to buy and continue buying a smartphone (and even tablets or desktop devices, while he is wishing) that run BlackBerry's OS built to the BlackBerry (and RIM before it) requirements, and also with BlackBerry sensibilities. I don't think "blackdroid" fits that bill and I'm not even going to try.

There are all kinds of niche markets. This isn't new. BlackBerry so far failed to navigate the niche when BBOS and BB10 users became a tiny group. I am a BB10 customer and I would pay a premium to be a customer of some BBX smartphone platform, or some Y platform that meets my needs and desires.

There is a path, a path that doesn't involve all the roadblocks people here are throwing out. Granted, BlackBerry may never find that path.
    But there are times you can't just will a path into existence. Niche OSes fail over and over again. This isn't unique to BlackBerry.

There are some things that would increase the feasibility of a BBX, like using Linux instead of QNX. But even then many different companies in the history of computing have proven that if your OS doesn't achieve critical mass, it dies.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-10-17 11:46 AM
    Agreed it can't be willed, but not sure about the critical mass part.

RIM came into a market and succeeded when the top guns like Motorola fumbled. And RIM started with supplying the demands of a niche market and grew from there. It didn't just become the RIM that most of us know from the RIM at its peak. It worked it's way to that peak, and it was will only in the sense that it was hard work and smart play. And then RIM itself fumbled.

There may be something to a critical mass for OS to survive. It seems to fit the facts. But still, what OS started at that critical mass?

Maybe I'm different. I will pay for performance, and I'm not looking for the cheap or "free" device and no-cost apps. I will pay the price for a niche product, hardware and software.

By the way, I believe this is on topic as I believe the OP and many with the same sympathies mean a BlackBerry Operating System when they say BB10. I was thinking about that.
    02-10-17 12:05 PM
    BB 10 devices?

Will BlackBerry never build a Bb10 device now? (sad :( )-notime.jpg
    02-11-17 05:30 PM
    not really sure what the difference in QNX and BB10 are
    I remember Bla1ze one day during Upstream saying if you strip the HUB from BlackBerry 10 and the apps, you basicly have QNX. I'm paraphrasing here, so don't pin me on this please.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-17 06:29 PM
32 12