Again with calling them lazy...?

If it were a viable form factor... they'd do it. It's that simple.

If "someone" were to be successful with PKB devices, others would follow...

What is innovative about a keyboard? I used a Palm PDA with a PKB back in the 90's.
    We all know an Apple or Samsung branded affordable PKB device would sell like hotcakes.

BBMo has a steep hill to climb to regain brand recognition and relevance.

And yes, a keyboard isn't innovative by any means, but the current market is so damn uniform that even rehashing an old idea is a breath of fresh air.
    09-13-18 10:09 AM
    Different level of intellect. On computer you type with your 10 fingers, you do that on your phone?Computer is for heavy duty thing and work related. You code programs, create excel documents, or writing your books/reports on that. That need accuracy and speed to get things done.

On phone you end up using it to post a comments here on crackberry or any other social medias.
    You're right. Most people don't really "work" in their phones, though they do some work on them as needed.

For the past 15 years I have written. 90+% of all my emails (over a million by my estimate) on my BlackBerry devices. Often I would work on my PC while responding on my BlackBerry because I found the BlackBerry email interface vastly superior to the PC email client.

Despite the fact that I can touch type on a full-size keyboard at 70+ words a minute, I found the 45+ wpm I could manage on my phone to be as fast as I could compose.

For people who only work casually on their mobile phones, the choice of OS and device really isn't that critical. For some of us, however, it's very important.

My very personal opinion is that, in the quest for profits in the mass market, Apple, Google and the OEMs have built amazing portable computers that do many interesting things. But the single most important function I require from a handheld has been sacrificed, which is optimizing the damned thing for email management.

As a result, sometime in the next few years, I'll have to give up working on my phone, as my PC is a better device for email management than iOS or Android, even with BlackBerry software.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    the_boon likes this.
    09-13-18 10:33 AM
    I just don't understand how people even get excited about new slabs these days. They've pretty much milked that form factor to death already. All we get is the same repetitive products, just a little less bezel here, little camera improvements here, little spec bump, and then call it "revolutionary"

It's so un-innovative and boring that the big deal right now is whether or not a smartphone should have a notch.

Everyone's raving about that Pocophone as if it's the next biggest thing, just cause it's like $300 and has a SD845. I mean, that's it? Have our expectations for innovation gone so low that all it takes to get people excited is a powerful chip (that most users won't exploit its full potential anyway) at a cheaper price?

To me, it's just another boring piece of glass. Stale and void of any out-of-the-box innovation, like the vast majority of OEM's offerings today.
    Even key2 is just little spec bump from keyone, same goes for slabs
    09-13-18 10:43 AM

My very personal opinion is that, in the quest for profits in the mass market, Apple, Google and the OEMs have built amazing portable computers that do many interesting things. But the single most important function I require from a handheld has been sacrificed, which is optimizing the damned thing for email management.
    Media consumption/capturing has become the center focus, and typing words accurately has gone out the window.

(smart)phones are communicators first and foremost, aren't they?
    09-13-18 10:47 AM
    Media consumption/capturing has become the center focus, and typing words accurately has gone out the window.

(smart)phones are communicators first and foremost, aren't they?
    Honestly, smart phones are primarily pocket computers now. Now they appeal to the mass market which is consumers, who by definition spend their time consuming media and using consumer-oriented apps.

The number of users who spend most of their time on their handhelds producing value by communicating in writing or by phone is probably no greater than it was 10 years ago.

To me, mobile is now a dead end as a personal productivity platform. It's useful in a pinch, but, instead of keeping my BlackBerry in my hand, pocket or on my belt for constant use, my Android or iOS device will live in my bag, just in case I need it when I can't use a PC.

09-13-18 10:57 AM
    We all know an Apple or Samsung branded affordable PKB device would sell like hotcakes.

BBMo has a steep hill to climb to regain brand recognition and relevance.

And yes, a keyboard isn't innovative by any means, but the current market is so damn uniform that even rehashing an old idea is a breath of fresh air.
    No they wouldn’t. If they would, they’d make them as it would be another differentiator for the OEM choosing. It’s BBMo that has any PKB nostalgia or desire advantage. Right or wrong, most people don’t want a PKB for multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, those varying reasons add up.
    pdr733 likes this.
    09-13-18 04:15 PM
    You're right. Most people don't really "work" in their phones, though they do some work on them as needed.

For the past 15 years I have written. 90+% of all my emails (over a million by my estimate) on my BlackBerry devices. Often I would work on my PC while responding on my BlackBerry because I found the BlackBerry email interface vastly superior to the PC email client.

Despite the fact that I can touch type on a full-size keyboard at 70+ words a minute, I found the 45+ wpm I could manage on my phone to be as fast as I could compose.

For people who only work casually on their mobile phones, the choice of OS and device really isn't that critical. For some of us, however, it's very important.

As a result, sometime in the next few years, I'll have to give up working on my phone, as my PC is a better device for email management than iOS or Android, even with BlackBerry software.

Yeah you mentioned that on the other thread. I don’t hate pkb personally, since I moved to my Z30 the transition from pkb to vkb was pretty smooth. Sadly it was the last sweetest blackberry device worth buying, which now ended up in my locker due to lack of 4G network support. Any BB10 devices that came after that just show that blackberry wanted us to be their labrat, for real.
    09-14-18 09:51 PM
82 ... 234