Every time I make the shocking revelation that both my phones are Blackberry I get the same response. A wistful sigh and the comment "oh I loved my Blackberry". I am going to start asking why they left if they loved it, but I am curious if others get this reaction and what they think.
    I wonder this myself when I tell people I'm using a blackberry and show them they are surprised my BlackBerry looks like this first thing I get when I used my z10 that it looked like an iPhone 5s now my Z30 a Samsung Galaxy of some sort. But people don't understand blackberry was the phone to get before all these so called fun apps was made before snapchat and instagram we used to text you a picture good old MMS style lol. But if blackberry would focus on the passport models and a beefier Z30 model they would be good just keep making flagship Blackberries and lower end for the markets that need them.

BBZ30 STA100-3
    08-12-15 09:12 AM
    Again, this is done differently but with considerable flexibility and power because of the diversity of apps. I typically, 3 or 4 times a year get things that I don't want to put on the cloud, almost always PDFs in format. They are downloaded from a secure website. So I go to the website, download the PDF and open it then save it in the app I want to use. I use an app that let you add markups to the PDFs . It is saved locally on the iOS device within the app which has its own file structure.

Again, these criticisms basically come down to Apple, Google and Microsoft have changed mobile computing and people saying they can't do something because they can't do it in the same way that they used to do it. It isn't the same thing.

"So I go to the website, download the PDF and open it then save it in the app I want to use. I use an app that let you add markups to the PDFs . It is saved locally on the iOS device within the app which has its own file structure."

This is the problem I have with that....the third party app gets all permissions to it otherwise you can't use the App. Secondly, I played with an Iphone 6....you have to have yet Another third party app to manage where EXACTLY your file goes. Then you have to worry about if Itunes or cloud is syncing it automatically for you. There is no control where the information goes unless you spend another half hour tweaking settings rather than just taking care of the work at hand.

Flying Spaghetti Monster. SQW-100-4. 10.3.2.2226
    08-14-15 11:45 PM
    "So I go to the website, download the PDF and open it then save it in the app I want to use. I use an app that let you add markups to the PDFs . It is saved locally on the iOS device within the app which has its own file structure."

This is the problem I have with that....the third party app gets all permissions to it otherwise you can't use the App. Secondly, I played with an Iphone 6....you have to have yet Another third party app to manage where EXACTLY your file goes. Then you have to worry about if Itunes or cloud is syncing it automatically for you. There is no control where the information goes unless you spend another half hour tweaking settings rather than just taking care of the work at hand.

You worry too much. There are millions of people doing this with no problem. And I couldn't process the document the way I do (use a stylus to mark up the PDF ) in iOS on a BB as far as I know. So with BB you get more control over the ability to not do anything. That seems backwards. Everything is moving to cloud based.
    08-15-15 01:04 AM
    Let me clarify where you don't really get ;

2) in BlackBerry 10 you can connect wirelessly to your device eight through the same wireless network or via the Internet. It automatically connects you if you have installed the BlackBerry Link on your computer.

3) on Android & iOS you only get results through Google search. Whereas on BlackBerry you get results from Bing, Google, Yahoo, BlackBerry Maps, tweeter, BlackBerry World, LinkedIn, foursquare, etc...

Yes, it would also search your contacts, device & your memory card too.

5) Yes, without any separate app as it is all in your hub. You don't even need to open any apps, just reply directly from the hub.

I know for sure that in Android & iOS it effectively opens an app so that you can respond to a message eg. if you get a WhatsApp message, you will open the WhatsApp to respond, or if you have an email it will effectively open your email so that you can respond.

Hope this clarify.

Posted via CB10
    2) Same on both iOS and Android

3) On iOS and Android you can change the default search engine, from Google to Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo and more, also both iOS AND Android has universal search, so you can search everything on your phone, from apps to pictures, to things in the cloud and more. On the iPhone you can even ask siri to do the search. Spotlight search on iOS does everything you mention and more.

5) I don't get the augment that a phone can do something without an app, sounds like fanboys trying to defend their platform of choice tbh. Different platforms accomplish task differently, what matters is that they actually can accomplish that task. It truly doesn't matter if BB10 can do something iOS/Android need a third party app to do, BB10 need to do it itself, it has no third party apps, while iOS and Android users can enjoy the countless third party app that explain the uses of their devices.
    08-15-15 08:36 PM
    2) Same on both iOS and Android

3) On iOS and Android you can change the default search engine, from Google to Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo and more, also both iOS AND Android has universal search, so you can search everything on your phone, from apps to pictures, to things in the cloud and more. On the iPhone you can even ask siri to do the search. Spotlight search on iOS does everything you mention and more.

5) I don't get the augment that a phone can do something without an app, sounds like fanboys trying to defend their platform of choice tbh. Different platforms accomplish task differently, what matters is that they actually can accomplish that task. It truly doesn't matter if BB10 can do something iOS/Android need a third party app to do, BB10 need to do it itself, it has no third party apps, while iOS and Android users can enjoy the countless third party app that explain the uses of their devices.
    It is obvious that you have not used a BlackBerry 10 device before or don't know how to use one.

It is also very obvious that you are an iOS or Android fanboy too.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 01:06 PM
    It is obvious that you have not used a BlackBerry 10 device before or don't know how to use one.

It is also very obvious that you are an iOS or Android fanboy too.

Posted via CB10
    What are you basing this on? I don't see it.
    jallister likes this.
    08-16-15 01:24 PM
    What are you basing this on? I don't see it.
    Firstly I have not seen how an Android or iOS device connect to their computer wirelessly. All the people I know on Android & iOS devices are oblivious to the fact that they can connect to their phones wirelessly if they left their phones at home. If you say it is possible then I'm sure it can be done. Do enlighten me please.

Secondly if you've used a BlackBerry 10 device before you would know that if you search for something on the universal search it will automatically search Google, Yahoo, Bing, your device, SD card, etc.. all at once & give you the result.

Third if you have any notification on iOS or Android device you will tap on the notification & it will open up the app of that notifications & you will reply or read your message from there. This is not required on BlackBerry 10, just tap on the notification & reply immediately.

Forth the Hub is a unified communications centre which is not available on either Android nor iOS. You can read & reply all messages directly from there without the need to open any other app.

The pinch & expand gesture on the Hub will automatically show you all the unread messages making it much faster to get straight to the unattended messages immediately without the necessity to scroll through all the messages. This is not available on Android nor iOS to my knowledge. If it is a new update on these platforms please enlighten me.

So unless I'm totally ignorant about these features I'm sure you have not used a BlackBerry 10 device before. Your confidence that I'm wrong and if I'm not then it would make you a fanboy.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 01:56 PM
    I think because not many people know about BlackBerry phones, how good and fast they are, I used to have an iphone, but I changed to the q10!, I guess most of people follow others buyin android or apple.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 02:28 PM
    Firstly I have not seen how an Android or iOS device connect to their computer wirelessly. All the people I know on Android & iOS devices are oblivious to the fact that they can connect to their phones wirelessly if they left their phones at home. If you say it is possible then I'm sure it can be done. Do enlighten me please.
    There are multiple iOS apps that let you connect from your phone to your computer wirelessly. They range in price from free to fairly expensive. They let you log into your computer, control it and transfer files. That said hardly ever use them because the whole paradigm of mobile computing is becoming increasingly web centric. This has lots of advantages, for instance when I travel, my assistant creates a Dropbox folder with all docs regarding the trip, confirmations, tickets, things I want to work on, etc in a folder in Dropbox which then can sync to any device I might be using at the time. This is especially powerful when using the iCloud. When I prepare a presentation, which I do quite a bit of, and save it on iCloud it automatically syncs across my iOS devices when I open the presentation app. That is very useful with multiple devices.

Secondly if you've used a BlackBerry 10 device before you would know that if you search for something on the universal search it will automatically search Google, Yahoo, Bing, your device, SD card, etc.. all at once & give you the result.
    What they said in their post was that you can change the default search engine and it searches the web and local, which is true.

Third if you have any notification on iOS or Android device you will tap on the notification & it will open up the app of that notifications & you will reply or read your message from there. This is not required on BlackBerry 10, just tap on the notification & reply immediately.

Forth the Hub is a unified communications centre which is not available on either Android nor iOS. You can read & reply all messages directly from there without the need to open any other app.
    Not sure what the point is here. Both iOS and Android have unified email clients that come with the device. You can put all of your email accounts there. You can set them to display an individual mailbox or all mailboxes together. You can respond to any email in there from that client, you don't need to open another app specific to that mailbox (ie a Yahoo mail app). The main difference from the Hub is that I don't think you can add Facebook or Linked In to the mail client on iOS or Android. I wouldn't want to do that anyway but some people might. But both operating systems have unified email clients for all email accounts. It is simply not true that you need a specific app for each type of email or each email account.

The pinch & expand gesture on the Hub will automatically show you all the unread messages making it much faster to get straight to the unattended messages immediately without the necessity to scroll through all the messages. This is not available on Android nor iOS to my knowledge. If it is a new update on these platforms please enlighten me.
    Android will let you display unread emails across all accounts but iOS will not, so that is something (possibly the only thing) that is much different between the Hub and the integrated clients on iOS and Android. I might also comment that I am not clear that you are quite ready for enlightenment.

So unless I'm totally ignorant about these features I'm sure you have not used a BlackBerry 10 device before. Your confidence that I'm wrong and if I'm not then it would make you a fanboy.

Posted via CB10
    How old are you?
    jallister likes this.
    08-16-15 03:48 PM
    Most of your points have been addressed, but I wanted to add that the native mail app on iOS makes it super simple to quickly review all unread messages at once! Just a single click of the Unread folder and ALL email accounts� unread messages are right there.

It definitely bothers me that there is so much misunderstanding on Crackberry about what iOS can do, just like many people on iOS don�t understand what BB10 can do. I�m glad this discussion came up to get things straight for the record.

Here's a picture:

jallister likes this.
    08-16-15 07:05 PM
    Most of your points have been addressed, but I wanted to add that the native mail app on iOS makes it super simple to quickly review all unread messages at once! Just a single click of the Unread folder and ALL email accounts� unread messages are right there.

It definitely bothers me that there is so much misunderstanding on Crackberry about what iOS can do, just like many people on iOS don�t understand what BB10 can do. I�m glad this discussion came up to get things straight for the record.

Here's a picture:

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08...21b03111de.jpg
    Thanks for clearing that up. My post is wrong, I typed it backwards. I don't see a way to do that in the native Android client but it is easy to do in iOS as you show.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    08-16-15 08:20 PM
    Because BlackBerry needs to step up their advertising campaign. Like many people have already said. BlackBerry has an entirely new in genius os. And no body knows. And secondly that the apps are weak for BlackBerry. I think the latter problem is changing now that BlackBerry has partnered with Samsung but they really need to get out there and show off their soft ware. I switched from iPhone to BlackBerry and I have used android Samsung tablet. And with out any doubt bias or bs BlackBerry has the best software. It's amazing how the little innovations they provide just make the phone experience so smooth. They have by far the best key board and other software things. They also need to fix their camera. It seems all they are doing to better their camera is adding pixels which doesn't actually improve the camera that much. After a certain number of pixels things don't change. The auto focus and color contrast is what makes app and Samsung have the better camera

Those are the three reasons
    Lack of apps
    Poor camera
    Lack of commercial to raise awareness of the new BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 08:49 PM
    Because BlackBerry needs to step up their advertising campaign. Like many people have already said. BlackBerry has an entirely new in genius os. And no body knows. And secondly that the apps are weak for BlackBerry. I think the latter problem is changing now that BlackBerry has partnered with Samsung but they really need to get out there and show off their soft ware. I switched from iPhone to BlackBerry and I have used android Samsung tablet. And with out any doubt bias or bs BlackBerry has the best software. It's amazing how the little innovations they provide just make the phone experience so smooth. They have by far the best key board and other software things. They also need to fix their camera. It seems all they are doing to better their camera is adding pixels which doesn't actually improve the camera that much. After a certain number of pixels things don't change. The auto focus and color contrast is what makes app and Samsung have the better camera

Lack of apps
    Poor camera

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately, I don't think the app problem is really solvable.
    08-16-15 08:52 PM

Lack of apps
    Poor camera

Posted via CB10
    I don't think BB10 is as unknown as you might think.
    jallister likes this.
    08-16-15 09:28 PM
    You worry too much. There are millions of people doing this with no problem. And I couldn't process the document the way I do (use a stylus to mark up the PDF ) in iOS on a BB as far as I know. So with BB you get more control over the ability to not do anything. That seems backwards. Everything is moving to cloud based.
    Not secure cloud based, nothing like BES, so that automatically takes Research, governments, military firms, computer development that is proprietary out of the mix....because a Chinese hacker can get into it all. I can do stylist, capacitive KB and a truly secure cloud on BlackBerry...PDF's ,docusign with financial institutions with no issues and on top of that on an encrypted device along side of an encrypted SD. If my device is stolen....no one can get in which is a totally different story on the other ecosystems.

08-17-15 12:53 AM
    Why are so few people using BlackBerry?
    Because blackberry is limited edition. Only the one who fit with blackberry will use it.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 05:23 AM
    Blackberry are the best phones I ve tryed iphones and windows phones and gone back to blackberry just hard to get them

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 07:13 AM
    black berry's and palms (handspring) have been the real first smarthphones
    then the hype with iphone started taking everything over and android could hold up with
    - but many functions are much better on bb (palm RIP) and even key things I did bette with palm are not found in Android or iOS, some in bb (but also not all) ... this is a hype thing and of course people who before would never have invested 600 $ or even more for a device, where they could "just" handle eMail on the go...are now into it
    many of my people having androids and iphones do not even today handle their mails on the go, but do chating, facebook surfing an liking and uploading of photos and of course showing pictures - not much more
    why would they want a bb - ? hm
    08-17-15 08:24 AM
    Not secure cloud based, nothing like BES, so that automatically takes Research, governments, military firms, computer development that is proprietary out of the mix....because a Chinese hacker can get into it all. I can do stylist, capacitive KB and a truly secure cloud on BlackBerry...PDF's ,docusign with financial institutions with no issues and on top of that on an encrypted device along side of an encrypted SD. If my device is stolen....no one can get in which is a totally different story on the other ecosystems.

Saying something is "secure" or "not secure" doesn't mean much really. The important question is whether the balance between security and access possibilities is in a place fitting with the use. I certainly think that is true for the stuff I put on the cloud. There are a few things I don't put out there although that is being overly cautious I suspect. But the ability to have all of my documents, spreadsheets, presentations, etc. in one place that I can access on any (non-BB) device is enormous. For some more secure communications I use a VPN also.

I have personally had three instances where my personal data might have been compromised. All three were mass attacks server side, nothing to do with my phone.
    08-17-15 11:57 AM
    then the hype with iphone started taking everything over and android could hold up with
    - but many functions are much better on bb (palm RIP) and even key things I did bette with palm are not found in Android or iOS, some in bb (but also not all) ... this is a hype thing and of course people who before would never have invested 600 $ or even more for a device, where they could "just" handle eMail on the go...are now into it
    many of my people having androids and iphones do not even today handle their mails on the go, but do chating, facebook surfing an liking and uploading of photos and of course showing pictures - not much more
    I totally agree with you that the features found on handspring is only found in BlackBerry not iOS or Android yet.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 11:57 AM
    Nokia made the first smartphone. The early Palms and later Handsprings as well as the early RIM devices were not phones. Not sure about people you know but a huge number of people use iPhones and Androids for business use. Both have capabilities for business use that are far greater than BBs.
    08-17-15 11:59 AM
    Saying something is "secure" or "not secure" doesn't mean much really. The important question is whether the balance between security and access possibilities is in a place fitting with the use. I certainly think that is true for the stuff I put on the cloud. There are a few things I don't put out there although that is being overly cautious I suspect. But the ability to have all of my documents, spreadsheets, presentations, etc. in one place that I can access on any (non-BB) device is enormous. For some more secure communications I use a VPN also.

I have personally had three instances where my personal data might have been compromised. All three were mass attacks server side, nothing to do with my phone.
    Well said.
    08-17-15 12:09 PM
    I totally agree with you that the features found on handspring is only found in BlackBerry not iOS or Android yet.

Posted via CB10
    Like what?? I think I had about every model of Palm and a Handspring, what could those do that iOS or Android can't do??
    nimra likes this.
    08-17-15 12:24 PM
    Because my passport has a really nice sized screen and is blazing fast. And I can do all of the above if I choose.

08-17-15 02:35 PM
    Like what?? I think I had about every model of Palm and a Handspring, what could those do that iOS or Android can't do??
    It of course depends on two things
    1) phisical keyboard, with hacks within it
    2) 3rd party apps, e.g. Agendus, keyhack (no more sure about that exact name, but you could asign a key and had a list of latest and fav apps - which is somewhat aproached or tried but never reached; in my opinion)

The explosive growth of smartphones into the market have not bettered all apps in their function, but speed and data conection have imrpoved a lot, and displays)

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 03:55 PM
154 ... 34567