It of course depends on two things
    1) phisical keyboard, with hacks within it
    2) 3rd party apps, e.g. Agendus, keyhack (no more sure about that exact name, but you could asign a key and had a list of latest and fav apps - which is somewhat aproached or tried but never reached; in my opinion)

The explosive growth of smartphones into the market have not bettered all apps in their function, but speed and data conection have imrpoved a lot, and displays)

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry might have had a keyboard before Palm. The very early Palm devices, like the incredibly cool Palm V didn't have keyboards.
    08-17-15 08:21 PM
    BlackBerry might have had a keyboard before Palm. The very early Palm devices, like the incredibly cool Palm V didn't have keyboards.
    I don't think that was a phone too. ?
    My first was a Treo from Handspring about 14 years ago, it had that great flipcover with a window to see the screen...

I basically hope and believe, that the market will realize the power of bbOS 10 in a more wide sphere... and the power of a keyboard

Posted via CB10
    Loc22 likes this.
    08-18-15 05:39 PM
    My first was a Treo from Handspring about 14 years ago, it had that great flipcover with a window to see the screen...

I basically hope and believe, that the market will realize the power of bbOS 10 in a more wide sphere... and the power of a keyboard

Posted via CB10
    The Palms were not phones, you're right . But the RIM950 from BB did wireless email, not a phone either but it had a keyboard. The first Treo phone was 2002 and the first BB phone was 2003.
    08-18-15 06:22 PM
    Most of your points have been addressed, but I wanted to add that the native mail app on iOS makes it super simple to quickly review all unread messages at once! Just a single click of the Unread folder and ALL email accounts� unread messages are right there.

It definitely bothers me that there is so much misunderstanding on Crackberry about what iOS can do, just like many people on iOS don�t understand what BB10 can do. I�m glad this discussion came up to get things straight for the record.

Here's a picture:

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08...21b03111de.jpg
    Can you do a text search for say "proposal" while filtering on unread emails or with an attachment in ios? I'm not being difficult, I just struggled with these more complicated searches on the ipad. It's pretty easy in BB10.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic)
    08-18-15 07:02 PM
    Can you do a text search for say "proposal" while filtering on unread emails or with an attachment in ios? I'm not being difficult, I just struggled with these more complicated searches on the ipad. It's pretty easy in BB10.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic)
    I'm not sure about iOS but I'm sure you can do that, isn't that a basic function?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 04:09 AM
    There are multiple iOS apps that let you connect from your phone to your computer wirelessly. They range in price from free to fairly expensive. They let you log into your computer, control it and transfer files. That said hardly ever use them because the whole paradigm of mobile computing is becoming increasingly web centric. This has lots of advantages, for instance when I travel, my assistant creates a Dropbox folder with all docs regarding the trip, confirmations, tickets, things I want to work on, etc in a folder in Dropbox which then can sync to any device I might be using at the time. This is especially powerful when using the iCloud. When I prepare a presentation, which I do quite a bit of, and save it on iCloud it automatically syncs across my iOS devices when I open the presentation app. That is very useful with multiple devices.

What they said in their post was that you can change the default search engine and it searches the web and local, which is true.

Not sure what the point is here. Both iOS and Android have unified email clients that come with the device. You can put all of your email accounts there. You can set them to display an individual mailbox or all mailboxes together. You can respond to any email in there from that client, you don't need to open another app specific to that mailbox (ie a Yahoo mail app). The main difference from the Hub is that I don't think you can add Facebook or Linked In to the mail client on iOS or Android. I wouldn't want to do that anyway but some people might. But both operating systems have unified email clients for all email accounts. It is simply not true that you need a specific app for each type of email or each email account.

Android will let you display unread emails across all accounts but iOS will not, so that is something (possibly the only thing) that is much different between the Hub and the integrated clients on iOS and Android. I might also comment that I am not clear that you are quite ready for enlightenment.

How old are you?
    Firstly you said that there are multiple apps on iOS & Android to allow you to connect to the computer at various price points. That's too complicated, I can get it done straight out of the box. I'm also not referring to dropbox, box, iCloud, etc as they are totally different.

Secondly I'm not talking about default search engine. I'm talking about universal search, BlackBerry automatically search for everything on all these search engines, maps, foursquare, your device, etc without having the need to do it separately.

In BlackBerry 10 you don't have any email client. You just have the hub, it handles all your emails, messages, Facebook, Twitter, etc... so no need for any apps & it is totally integrated into the OS

I won't bother to explain about the pinch gesture, you are probably too much of a fanboy to want to know about it just like any other Android & iOS fanboy.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 04:22 AM
    Because we choose productivity over killing time...

Because we choose substance over gimmicks...

Because it's what we need, not what's 'in' right now.

Because BlackBerries are always rarer than apples.

 BlackBerry� | CLASSIC - the best of BlackBerry
    Last edited by kanungoash; 08-19-15 at 05:03 AM.
    fishlove73 likes this.
    08-19-15 04:45 AM
    Firstly you said that there are multiple apps on iOS & Android to allow you to connect to the computer at various price points. That's too complicated, I can get it done straight out of the box. I'm also not referring to dropbox, box, iCloud, etc as they are totally different.

Secondly I'm not talking about default search engine. I'm talking about universal search, BlackBerry automatically search for everything on all these search engines, maps, foursquare, your device, etc without having the need to do it separately.

In BlackBerry 10 you don't have any email client. You just have the hub, it handles all your emails, messages, Facebook, Twitter, etc... so no need for any apps & it is totally integrated into the OS

I won't bother to explain about the pinch gesture, you are probably too much of a fanboy to want to know about it just like any other Android & iOS fanboy.

Posted via CB10
    It isn't too complicated for me to connect that way. But again, that is not the direction of mobile computing. I virtually never do it. The direction is everything is going is cloud based which is a real problem for BB. Oh, and the Hub is an email client or perhaps the UI of an email client more precisely. There is an email client that also takes all of you email accounts together on both iOS and Android. The difference is that on those, it is only email, not Twitter, Facebook etc. That works for me since I use my phone mainly for world and would not like being distracted every time someone I know decides to post they ate an ice cream cone on Facebook. So, there is a pinch gesture you can do on BB. That's nice. Not sure it makes up for virtually no cloud services and no software but if it makes you happy.

Still curious as to how old people are who talk about "fanboys" as personal attacks.
    jallister likes this.
    08-19-15 05:18 AM

Yes. Just like each folder in the native mail app, there is a search field at the top of the unread folder where you can filter by anything you want. It couldn�t be easier.
    08-19-15 05:29 AM
    It isn't too complicated for me to connect that way. But again, that is not the direction of mobile computing. I virtually never do it. The direction is everything is going is cloud based which is a real problem for BB. Oh, and the Hub is an email client or perhaps the UI of an email client more precisely. There is an email client that also takes all of you email accounts together on both iOS and Android. The difference is that on those, it is only email, not Twitter, Facebook etc. That works for me since I use my phone mainly for world and would not like being distracted every time someone I know decides to post they ate an ice cream cone on Facebook. So, there is a pinch gesture you can do on BB. That's nice. Not sure it makes up for virtually no cloud services and no software but if it makes you happy.

Still curious as to how old people are who talk about "fanboys" as personal attacks.
    In case you didn't know, dropbox & box is built into BlackBerry 10 & by default it is already available when you get the phone.

The connection to your computer is very simple, just plug your phone to your computer 1 time then it is automatically done.

To access your phone from your computer? All you have to do is just open your windows explorer, it's there already. I'm not sure how more simple it can get.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 05:38 AM
    In case you didn't know, dropbox & box is built into BlackBerry 10 & by default it is already available when you get the phone.

The connection to your computer is very simple, just plug your phone to your computer 1 time then it is automatically done.

To access your phone from your computer? All you have to do is just open your windows explorer, it's there already. I'm not sure how more simple it can get.

Posted via CB10
    I do know about dropbox and use it extensively. My assistant puts docs I need there as PDFs and I synchronize with that folder. For presentations though icloud works much better because it automatically synchronizes presentations I prepare on my desktop with both my phone and my iPad. Most text documents that I write are shared with others writing parts and more and more we use Google docs for that since it eliminates versioning issues that other things can allow.

I didn't say it was difficult to connect to a computer with BlackBerry, I said it wasn't difficult with ios. But I very seldom do it. Five years ago I did it a lot but note virtually never.
    08-19-15 06:26 AM
    Yes. Just like each folder in the native mail app, there is a search field at the top of the unread folder where you can filter by anything you want. It couldn�t be easier.
    Thanks! I'll have to fire up the ipad and play around. . I know there was something I couldn't figure out.

08-19-15 06:17 PM
    Thanks! I'll have to fire up the ipad and play around. . I know there was something I couldn't figure out.

Yes, I don't see unread or has attachment as options when viewing my gmail account on my ipad. Strange. I agree it should be a basic function. Maybe I'm missing something???

08-19-15 09:09 PM
    Yes, I don't see unread or has attachment as options when viewing my gmail account on my ipad. Strange. I agree it should be a basic function. Maybe I'm missing something???

Do none of you guys have Google? IOS email support is everywhere on the internet! But, yes, you�re missing something.

Go to the mailboxes page pictured below. Press �Edit.� Select the mailboxes you would like to display, like �Unread� or whichever. Press �Done�.

08-19-15 11:23 PM
    I do know about dropbox and use it extensively. My assistant puts docs I need there as PDFs and I synchronize with that folder. For presentations though icloud works much better because it automatically synchronizes presentations I prepare on my desktop with both my phone and my iPad. Most text documents that I write are shared with others writing parts and more and more we use Google docs for that since it eliminates versioning issues that other things can allow.

I didn't say it was difficult to connect to a computer with BlackBerry, I said it wasn't difficult with ios. But I very seldom do it. Five years ago I did it a lot but note virtually never.
    In case you didn't know, box & dropbox all synchronises all documents automatically so if you put your presentation in it, it will synchronise across all your devices be it Android, BlackBerry, iOS or Windows at the same time as long as you permit it to do so.

Your connection with the computer & iOS is limited to iCloud, dropbox, box & if you connect it via a cable.

With BlackBerry, it is your email, SMS, BBM, any folder you decide on your computer or your phone. It is connected via cable, Wifi or the Internet.

When I went for my holiday end of last year, I transferred all the pictures & videos to my computer by just selecting & release on the move button to my complaint. I was in Thailand & my complaint was at home. Not sure if you can do it from iOS without any apps.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 11:01 AM
    In case you didn't know, box & dropbox all synchronises all documents automatically so if you put your presentation in it, it will synchronise across all your devices be it Android, BlackBerry, iOS or Windows at the same time as long as you permit it to do so.

Your connection with the computer & iOS is limited to iCloud, dropbox, box & if you connect it via a cable.

With BlackBerry, it is your email, SMS, BBM, any folder you decide on your computer or your phone. It is connected via cable, Wifi or the Internet.

When I went for my holiday end of last year, I transferred all the pictures & videos to my computer by just selecting & release on the move button to my complaint. I was in Thailand & my complaint was at home. Not sure if you can do it from iOS without any apps.

Posted via CB10
    The without apps part is meaningless. When I synchronize PDF files from Dropbox it is with an app that lets me mark up the files with a stylus and save that back to Dropbox for my assistant. The problem isn't Dropbox, the problem is not having good apps to use with the files. With iCloud and Mac office suite files you can even edit in a browser now I believe. And Google Docs let people share without versioning issues.
    Last edited by GadgetTravel; 08-20-15 at 12:25 PM.
    08-20-15 11:19 AM
    The without apps part is meaningless.
    + infinity

This why BBRY itself doesn't tout "without apps" as a feature. It's the reason it calls for app neutrality.

A la carte is the way to go. Give folks a selection of programs, and let them select what they need when.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    08-20-15 02:09 PM
    + infinity

This why BBRY itself doesn't tout "without apps" as a feature. It's the reason it calls for app neutrality.

A la carte is the way to go. Give folks a selection of programs, and let them select what they need when.
    It was argued upthread that the Hub wasn't an email client, which of course it is. And that things should be done without apps. The whole no apps thing does remind me of "it's not a bug, it's a feature" argument as you allude to. In fact with the possible exception of turning the things on and off, everything you do with a smartphone is using an app, even calling. When you call someone on a smartphone, you touch an icon which starts an app. Then you touch different number keys, physical or virtual or invoke a contacts app to get the number. Once the number you want to call is ready, you push the call button which tells the program to emit the appropriate tones that phone system recognizes to route the call. Everything on these phones is an app and the more of them the better.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    08-20-15 03:16 PM
    Do none of you guys have Google? IOS email support is everywhere on the internet! But, yes, you�re missing something.

Go to the mailboxes page pictured below. Press �Edit.� Select the mailboxes you would like to display, like �Unread� or whichever. Press �Done�.

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08...7a730a94ef.jpg

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08...e29a24a0f6.jpg
    Lol... yeah, I have Google, but it still requires me to type in the search

I'm not sure why this is not displayed by default, but I found it now. Thank you!

08-21-15 10:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    I love all the treo's from either Handspring or Palm I still miss it
    08-22-15 03:49 AM
    It was argued upthread that the Hub wasn't an email client, which of course it is. And that things should be done without apps. The whole no apps thing does remind me of "it's not a bug, it's a feature" argument as you allude to. In fact with the possible exception of turning the things on and off, everything you do with a smartphone is using an app, even calling. When you call someone on a smartphone, you touch an icon which starts an app. Then you touch different number keys, physical or virtual or invoke a contacts app to get the number. Once the number you want to call is ready, you push the call button which tells the program to emit the appropriate tones that phone system recognizes to route the call. Everything on these phones is an app and the more of them the better.
    If everything on a smartphone is an app then what is the difference between an Android, Blackberry, iOS & Window's smartphone? They all can do the same things.

Perhaps Android and iOS has more choices of different apps doing the same thing. If that is so what is the hype about no apps or apps itself ? Unless that is just fanboy talk.
    08-22-15 03:54 AM
    The without apps part is meaningless. When I synchronize PDF files from Dropbox it is with an app that lets me mark up the files with a stylus and save that back to Dropbox for my assistant. The problem isn't Dropbox, the problem is not having good apps to use with the files. With iCloud and Mac office suite files you can even edit in a browser now I believe. And Google Docs let people share without versioning issues.
    Doesn't all the files in the dropbox folder in your computer, iPhone, iPad sync automatically? How come you need to select them and sync them manually?

On my computer or my Blackberry as long as I save the file in a dropbox folder it automatically get's synced when I have wifi connection because I set my sync to only do it when I have wifi connection as data usage is limited where I live. If this is so, is iCloud more superior because it only sync manually?
    08-22-15 04:00 AM
    Most of your points have been addressed, but I wanted to add that the native mail app on iOS makes it super simple to quickly review all unread messages at once! Just a single click of the Unread folder and ALL email accounts’ unread messages are right there.

It definitely bothers me that there is so much misunderstanding on Crackberry about what iOS can do, just like many people on iOS don’t understand what BB10 can do. I’m glad this discussion came up to get things straight for the record.

Here's a picture:

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08...21b03111de.jpg
    Here is how my HUB look like

Why are so few people using Blackberry phones?-img_20150822_170710.png

and the same HUB after the pinch, (once you pinch it means display only the unread messages)

Why are so few people using Blackberry phones?-img_20150822_170724.png

Yes, you can also sort them according to different account's or different communication apps, just tap on the left bottom corner or swipe right whichever you prefer.

Just for your information I am posting this from my computer and the screenshot of the HUB is still resident on my Blackberry Z10. I also edited it from my computer using paint as I needed to black out my contacts to protect their privacy. This is also done wirelessly as my computer is not connected to my phone using any cables.

To access the screenshot on my phone I just open my windows explorer and choose my phone and click on the file I wanted. I'm not sure how that is being done on iOS and Android. The last time I used an iPhone about 2 years ago this feature wasn't there yet perhaps it's new.
    08-22-15 05:12 AM
    Doesn't all the files in the dropbox folder in your computer, iPhone, iPad sync automatically? How come you need to select them and sync them manually?

On my computer or my Blackberry as long as I save the file in a dropbox folder it automatically get's synced when I have wifi connection because I set my sync to only do it when I have wifi connection as data usage is limited where I live. If this is so, is iCloud more superior because it only sync manually?
    Both can sync automatically. As I said the issue isn't Dropbox, it is having an app to do what I want which is, in the case with many PDFs, mark them up with edits.
    08-22-15 09:13 AM
    If everything on a smartphone is an app then what is the difference between an Android, Blackberry, iOS & Window's smartphone? They all can do the same things.

Perhaps Android and iOS has more choices of different apps doing the same thing. If that is so what is the hype about no apps or apps itself ? Unless that is just fanboy talk.
    One advantage is just that: Android and iOS have plenty of developers willing to take on existing app paradigms and challenge and/or improve them. It's natural selection personified.

Take Google Maps, for instance. Arguably the best mobile mapping utility on any platform. You have other heavyweights with major pockets make their own apps: Telenav, Mapquest, Waze, Nokia HERE, etc, etc , etc (literally). Well, to stay on top, GMaps had to continually improve. Feature creep sets in (a good thing). It even acquires and incorporates one if the rivals.

Consumer wins.

You can repeat this real life scenario with any number of utilities on any of the major platforms: vkb, calendar, storage, videochat. Diversity and competition breed excellence.

As a consumer, I have to ask myself: do I roll with a platform I really, really like, or one I really, really like AND that gets what I need done quickly?

I honestly believe it takes a degree of platform agnosticism to see what issues BBRY had in this regard. JC (a former iOS user married to an Android user) isn't calling for app neutrality to fill space. He understands the problem.
    08-22-15 10:24 AM
154 ... 4567