Most ppl are saying physical keyboards are passe, and making fun of BlackBerry devices, personally I think physical keyboards are much better than touch in terms of accuracy and correction, even if it's a touch keyboard You still need to touch it right?. I think industry market created the hype of touch, because full touch users use more data, watching videos, playing games,etc, so the carriers and developers make more money

Posted via CB10
    anuj syal likes this.
    02-13-17 08:44 PM
    They make fun of them because BlackBerry's are related to old people and people think it's a waste of space that could be used for screen real estate.

They're wrong.
    02-13-17 08:47 PM
    To be fair, having the ability to hide the keyboard gives a lot more screen real estate for videos and games. I know a lot of people prefer the feel of a physical keyboard, but touchscreen keyboards have gotten so good with features like auto-correct that it's just more convenient for most people.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and xandros9 like this.
    02-13-17 08:48 PM
    Physical keyboards are as freeze said attributed to the 'old smartphones' and makes it less attractive. It's also a different typing experience for sure.

I think as people see some of the new features such as the capacitive keyboard, mapping certain keys etc it would make the whole thing more attractive. There's just features people don't know about.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-17 08:50 PM
    All I know is, there are websites dedicated to mocking autocorrect fails on iPhones and Androids that aren't ever an issue with physical keyboard phones. I'll take typing accuracy confidence over a little screen real estate.

Posted with my  Classic
    rthonpm likes this.
    02-13-17 11:23 PM
    From personal experience, I am faster and more accurate with a vkb on the go. There's also something to be said for being able to have the same keyboard dicionary across several devices.

The screen space is a big plus.
    02-13-17 11:28 PM
    Depends on how much you type. If you don't type much on your device the keyboard is a waste of space. I personally have always avoided typing on my phone as much as possible, even when I used a Blackberry Curve.
    02-13-17 11:34 PM
    Most ppl are saying physical keyboards are passe, and making fun of BlackBerry devices, personally I think physical keyboards are much better than touch in terms of accuracy and correction, even if it's a touch keyboard You still need to touch it right?. I think industry market created the hype of touch, because full touch users use more data, watching videos, playing games,etc, so the carriers and developers make more money

Posted via CB10
    Basically some people just feel it's necessary to belittle someone else's choice to validate their own preference. And when they're part of the majority they feel vindicated in doing so, and then the sentiment perpetuates itself.
    ominaxe likes this.
    02-14-17 04:44 AM
    There are lots of people who don't use e-mail at all (a lot of friends of mine), and will never feel the need for a physical keyboard, if all of their communication is just some (or even a lot) of WhatsApp, maybe with a heavy use of vocal messages. Besides, everything said on the old prejudice "qwerty phone is old phone" is still strong among people. Nevertheless, I think that if the same people got to see a device like the Mercury, they could change their mind.
    02-14-17 04:58 AM
    There are lots of people who don't use e-mail at all (a lot of friends of mine), and will never feel the need for a physical keyboard, if all of their communication is just some (or even a lot) of WhatsApp, maybe with a heavy use of vocal messages. Besides, everything said on the old prejudice "qwerty phone is old phone" is still strong among people. Nevertheless, I think that if the same people got to see a device like the Mercury, they could change their mind.
    I use both , a lot. And as I've become used to vkbs (especially there BlackBerry one) I can say I'm faster on my vkbs now than I ever was on Pkbs , however. I prefer the pkb . It's just a much more satisfying experience. As for people saying you have to look to type? Lol muscle memory doesn't discriminate, I can perform blind gestures using swipe to type keyboards to type fast and without looking for most anything based on the fact I know where letters should be on a qwerty layout. So I know how to draw my words. Can't believe keyboards are still an argument around here. Market says pkb isn't a necessity nor is it truely more accurate. It's dependant on the user entirely. I have big hands and typing on crowded keypads like the q10 was a nightmare. My thumbs would often times press two buttons at one press. Making more errors than my virtual keypad z10 and z30. Those keyboards learned what my big thumbs were trying to do, and calibrated accordingly. Passport has a great keyboard and is in a battle with my classic for best physical keypad. But again neither has learned that my thumbs didn't mean what they pressed lol
    02-14-17 06:23 AM
    Two things my wife pointed out after using one: the fact that you have to press the buttons and the backspace and enter keys are on top of each other.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-17 06:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    So people don't really want to do those things... they have just been tricked into doing them? People don't really want to see larger images, to be able to read more data at one time?

Problem is for many an all touch is more accurate and faster than a PKB... I know many here don't personally feel that way, but with autocorrect, predictive text... there was a time when VKB was far better. Now BlackBerry's new keyboards work with these features too and even with gestures now, but by the time BlackBerry got those features... the battle was over.

Now I do think that manufactures favor VKB at this point... it cheaper to manufacture now, it is cheaper to support other languages with a VKB, and their warranty cost are lower with fewer moving parts.

In the end, the real question is there enough of a market for a PKB to remain a viable form factor?
    02-14-17 07:26 AM
    People are like sheep that's another reason. The priv is good for that reason. Option and hidden
    02-17-17 01:34 AM
    They make fun of them because BlackBerry's are related to old people and people think it's a waste of space that could be used for screen real estate.

They're wrong.
    Would have to agree. Whenever I say "I'm getting a new phone" and then follow by saying BlackBerry. I always get the response, "but why?" "They so old". But then you pull out the DTEK60 or PRIV with a QHD screen and their mind set changes so quickly. It's awesome to see

Hopefully with the launch of the Mercury and devices going forward BlackBerry Mobile can change some people's perspective

The keyboard for me is awesome and I don't mind sacrificing a little real-estate to have it.

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    02-17-17 03:32 AM
    Would have to agree. Whenever I say "I'm getting a new phone" and then follow by saying BlackBerry. I always get the response, "but why?" "They so old". But then you pull out the DTEK60 or PRIV with a QHD screen and their mind set changes so quickly. It's awesome to see

Hopefully with the launch of the Mercury and devices going forward BlackBerry Mobile can change some people's perspective

The keyboard for me is awesome and I don't mind sacrificing a little real-estate to have it.

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    There is a LOT of misconception about the BlackBerry brand..

BlackBerry knew that, was why they spoofed themselves in that Super Bowl add with things a BlackBerry can't do.... the problem was BB10 still couldn't do what most consumers wanted.

When or if TCL decides to go after the consumer market... they'll have to come up with something to repair the Brands image.
    02-17-17 07:04 AM
    Physical keyboards are as freeze said attributed to the 'old smartphones' and makes it less attractive. It's also a different typing experience for sure.

I think as people see some of the new features such as the capacitive keyboard, mapping certain keys etc it would make the whole thing more attractive. There's just features people don't know about.

Posted via CB10
    No, he said that they are related to old people. Since I'm one of those "old people", I prefer to think of myself as young. Therefore, I don't use the PKB on my Priv.
    02-17-17 11:44 AM
    Yeah typing on virtual could be faster for you considering how each "button" doesnt spend physical time on being pressed down and return to initial position.

On ipad i type with one finger (not thumb), would compare it to what i ll do on BB's pkb soon
    02-17-17 01:32 PM
    Basically some people just feel it's necessary to belittle someone else's choice to validate their own preference. And when they're part of the majority they feel vindicated in doing so, and then the sentiment perpetuates itself.
    This!! ^ ^^^ And that goes for more than smartphones
    02-17-17 09:06 PM
    @moodyk maybe you can help?

CB Mod
    moody likes this.
    02-17-17 10:19 PM
    @moodyk maybe you can help?

CB Mod
    @usman_hidayat19 @moodyk not likely
    moody likes this.
    02-17-17 10:32 PM
    This!! ^ ^^^ And that goes for more than smartphones