On my bb Z10, I cant retrieve me wife's sms text messages. All others have remained. Her's disappeared. The only way I can view her texts is to compose one to her first. I don't even get a notification of her's anymore either. Please help.
    10-08-19 11:52 AM
    On my bb Z10, I cant retrieve me wife's sms text messages. All others have remained. Her's disappeared. The only way I can view her texts is to compose one to her first. I don't even get a notification of her's anymore either. Please help.
    This is a known bug that happens to certain contacts out of nowhere from time to time.

Some people have been successful by ending the chat, and then starting a new one.

Others have had to do a factory reset.
    10-08-19 01:04 PM
    This is a known bug that happens to certain contacts out of nowhere from time to time.

Some people have been successful by ending the chat, and then starting a new one.

Others have had to do a factory reset.
    Any idea what the cause is? we guinea pigs for someones experiments? Is this corrupt storage memory, a bad/unhandled control character in the stream?, a bug in the hub? a particular setting combo? Any old ticket in the system that might describe this bug? A particular threshold in memory available? Leaving Blend on and some remote device connecting to mess with the hub? etc. Last unusual (not unusual, but I normally don't do this often) thing I did was usb transfer some adobe reference books from a pc to the device. This happened to me when I either accidentally ended a chat of another user or deteted it, then an entirely different primary users messages wouldn't appear....but the dates and times of texts remained as I scrolled through the list in the hub. only the single text message would appear in the compose box (of a conversation from a previous day - if I selected that day), but no history at all, so I couldn't get the conversation stream back. Everytime I opened an old message, and go back, that message would disappear from the stream. Wow that's a bad bug if its a bug. Unique to bb10? Should you back up messages periodically? how often?

But in assistant the message summary remained on the list of one you looked at...and again the detail would be in compose, rather than being the old fixed text of a previous message, but once you selected or opened the message it would then be empty. This happened very recently.

Sorry about the multiple questions but are you saying if you end the chat and start a new one, it restores the lost messages? or just enables normal chat function with that user?
    In my case the messages still go back and forth fully normally, but only ones from this time forward appear and all the old conversations from when the problem was noticed got mangled somehow.

I remember an old pop3 to client email bug from years ago, that carefully inserted control characters in the email stream could muck up the entire mailbox. Is this what is happening here in the hub? Should I turn off the advanced setting in the hub of [allow special characters] ? Does anyone know if this makes a difference or not. Especially considering that every once in a while those junk mms messages seem to sneak through the net and onto my hub, that service providers set for them.

Another possibility is something just blue-screened my desktop frozen during a youtube video out of the blue just before I noticed the missing sms message stream...and there is some blackbery related sw running on that particular pc..(not an important pc other than browsing the web) .I think the BB device may have been Link enabled, but the connection may have been inactive, not sure, though link was on on the device with the problem. I know its been compromised before by the pay your tax man before you go to jail fake screen lock scams (with the slightly east asian or chinese audio accent) on the browser a while back.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 10-30-19 at 01:15 AM.
    10-30-19 12:18 AM
    Any idea what the cause is? we guinea pigs for someones experiments? Is this corrupt storage memory, a bad/unhandled control character in the stream?, a bug in the hub? a particular setting combo? Any old ticket in the system that might describe this bug? A particular threshold in memory available? Leaving Blend on and some remote device connecting to mess with the hub? etc. Last unusual (not unusual, but I normally don't do this often) thing I did was usb transfer some adobe reference books from a pc to the device. This happened to me when I either accidentally ended a chat of another user or deteted it, then an entirely different primary users messages wouldn't appear....but the dates and times of texts remained as I scrolled through the list in the hub. only the single text message would appear in the compose box (of a conversation from a previous day - if I selected that day), but no history at all, so I couldn't get the conversation stream back. Everytime I opened an old message, and go back, that message would disappear from the stream. Wow that's a bad bug if its a bug. Unique to bb10? Should you back up messages periodically? how often?

But in assistant the message summary remained on the list of one you looked at...and again the detail would be in compose, rather than being the old fixed text of a previous message, but once you selected or opened the message it would then be empty. This happened very recently.

Sorry about the multiple questions but are you saying if you end the chat and start a new one, it restores the lost messages? or just enables normal chat function with that user?
    In my case the messages still go back and forth fully normally, but only ones from this time forward appear and all the old conversations from when the problem was noticed got mangled somehow.

I remember an old pop3 to client email bug from years ago, that carefully inserted control characters in the email stream could muck up the entire mailbox. Is this what is happening here in the hub? Should I turn off the advanced setting in the hub of [allow special characters] ? Does anyone know if this makes a difference or not. Especially considering that every once in a while those junk mms messages seem to sneak through the net and onto my hub, that service providers set for them.

Another possibility is something just blue-screened my desktop frozen during a youtube video out of the blue just before I noticed the missing sms message stream...and there is some blackbery related sw running on that particular pc..(not an important pc other than browsing the web) .I think the BB device may have been Link enabled, but the connection may have been inactive, not sure, though link was on on the device with the problem. I know its been compromised before by the pay your tax man before you go to jail fake screen lock scams (with the slightly east asian or chinese audio accent) on the browser a while back.
    I don't think anyone has ever pinned down the culprit. It's just a glitch in the matrix.

And yes, if one ends the chat and starts a new one, the old one is nuked.
    10-30-19 01:32 AM
    I don't think anyone has ever pinned down the culprit. It's just a glitch in the matrix.

And yes, if one ends the chat and starts a new one, the old one is nuked.
    It really does look like (for me anyways) that a bit got shifted (or the hub choked on some kind of control or unexpected character or characters) somewhere in the sms stream where this is saved on device, especially since an old message previously sent actually appears in the compose sms box [Enter a message input field]

Too bad there was no way to dump the hub into plain text or something (or is there such a tool?), so one could see where the problem appeared, or first appeared, or just to see how it was stored. I remember the quick fix for the pop3 stuff way back was to find the single culprit message (usually a single spam message targetted by some nefarious actor to do that very disruptive thing (almost like they knew the code would choke on their formed message) and delete it at the pop server side, and everything would magically be fixed on the mail client side. I suspect that the texts are still there and not missing, just that the data isn't aligning properly with the app for some reason, its choking on a bit or byte or two somewhere.

I guess I'll need to at least copy those chats for backup on a regular basis...it happened once before a couple of years ago on the same device...and it seems to happen to the party you are having the most sms back and forth with each time. I just assumed these old kinds of problems disappeared, or I'm expecting that there not be hardware memory corruption (possibly? bad bits) problems so soon on smartphone hardware as that might be another explanation (not a BlackBerry problem really, just the manufactured hardware itself Quallcomm or the like) - but that's just speculation though.
    10-30-19 02:06 AM
    Looks like this is not unique to bb10 or even BlackBerry...users of Samsung forums complain about the exact same problem on various models of Samsung phones...that's interesting. SMS unreliable? or is this "contacts" business that all kinds of apps have permission for a potential cause, in how it interacts with SMS when some app messes with it?
    (post script: even Google seems to have been trying to work on a fix earlier this year for their Pixel phones as well)
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 10-30-19 at 12:43 PM.
    10-30-19 04:00 AM
    Just a question....did you have any password set for your phone when these messages disappeared? Did you have the radio on (cellular) or off, and did you have anything else turned on networking wise.....like link,bluetooth etc? Just curious, I don't know the solution, but the problem is occurring across all lines of smartphones from all manufaturers it appears. Surprising in 2019 that this is even a problem...the most basic function of the phone, SMS stored messages on the phone, having these kinds of huge glitches.
    10-30-19 12:47 PM
    Just a question....did you have any password set for your phone when these messages disappeared? Did you have the radio on (cellular) or off, and did you have anything else turned on networking wise.....like link,bluetooth etc? Just curious, I don't know the solution, but the problem is occurring across all lines of smartphones from all manufaturers it appears. Surprising in 2019 that this is even a problem...the most basic function of the phone, SMS stored messages on the phone, having these kinds of huge glitches.
    I may have to move my more important personnal correspondence, that i'd like to keep over to bbm I guess. Assuming it is more reliable at storing/preserving conversation streams?
    10-30-19 01:00 PM
    I may have to move my more important personnal correspondence, that i'd like to keep over to bbm I guess. Assuming it is more reliable at storing/preserving conversation streams?
    SMS is an ancient technology and is pathetically unreliable.

A modern IM is far better, as you can make and manage regular backups/archives from within the app.
    10-30-19 01:07 PM
    SMS is an ancient technology and is pathetically unreliable.

A modern IM is far better, as you can make and manage regular backups/archives from within the app.
    Yes SMS is what maybe 30 years old, a simple and unencrypted basic messaging system . The basis for much of smartphone software is even more ancient . At least it is universal and its implementation has evolved somewhat over time with the extension and refinement of MMS (and SMS) interfaces (like the hub), evolving from the feature phone and the awful awfully unproductive k-9 keyboards of yesteryear and techproof users. I don't have to Facebook,instagram or anything else to send quick messages. It really is fundamental to messaging on Smartphones.....and its not like the provider is not delivering the messages or even badly garbling them....the problem appears to be how reliably the Mixed (MMS&SMS) message data is being processed, stored, and re-opened on the device itself (on all smartphone makes and models). Presumably the SMS/MMS software is filtering the occasional dust particles,artifacts or stones thrown into the streams. Hopefully BBM has a much better record in this regard. I am really surprised this is a flaw, it is so fundamental to the whole presumed smartphone advantage - data disappearance is a huge huge flaw. Even if it is a few memory bits going bad or losing store, there should be a way to handle it. I wonder if it might be an as yet unidentified vulnerability that someone is playing with.

However this may finally force me to move all correspondence (or as much as possible) to BBM, if I can convince others to correspond that way, and see how it goes from there.
    10-30-19 01:48 PM
    Yes SMS is what maybe 30 years old, a simple and unencrypted basic messaging system . The basis for much of smartphone software is even more ancient . At least it is universal and its implementation has evolved somewhat over time with the extension and refinement of MMS (and SMS) interfaces (like the hub), evolving from the feature phone and the awful awfully unproductive k-9 keyboards of yesteryear and techproof users. I don't have to Facebook,instagram or anything else to send quick messages. It really is fundamental to messaging on Smartphones.....and its not like the provider is not delivering the messages or even badly garbling them....the problem appears to be how reliably the Mixed (MMS&SMS) message data is being processed, stored, and re-opened on the device itself (on all smartphone makes and models). Presumably the SMS/MMS software is filtering the occasional dust particles,artifacts or stones thrown into the streams. Hopefully BBM has a much better record in this regard. I am really surprised this is a flaw, it is so fundamental to the whole presumed smartphone advantage - data disappearance is a huge huge flaw. Even if it is a few memory bits going bad or losing store, there should be a way to handle it. I wonder if it might be an as yet unidentified vulnerability that someone is playing with.

However this may finally force me to move all correspondence (or as much as possible) to BBM, if I can convince others to correspond that way, and see how it goes from there.
    iMessage is what BBM should have become.... JIM wanted to replace SMS with a SMS.2, but that didn't happen. At that point BBM should have at least been given some SMS/MMS capabilities to allow BBM to be more usable with the growing non-BBM userbase.
    10-30-19 02:11 PM
    iMessage is what BBM should have become.... JIM wanted to replace SMS with a SMS.2, but that didn't happen. At that point BBM should have at least been given some SMS/MMS capabilities to allow BBM to be more usable with the growing non-BBM userbase.
    Well maybe you are right....they could have at least slapped on a footer on all outbound BBM to sms/mms messsages the following ad....."Sent by BlackBerry Messenger BBMe - Secure your messages today <link> (and get rid of this annoying message ;-))" and other various ones. Annoying, but hey too bad, small price to pay for interop. Hmmm....a advertising revenue stream for BlackBerry? text ads and/or mms tiny ads....would this pay for a new bb10 (as long as they not the tracking kind of ads, that might be a compromise)?
    10-30-19 02:26 PM
    Well maybe you are right....they could have at least slapped on a footer on all outbound BBM to sms/mms messsages the following ad....."Sent by BlackBerry Messenger BBMe - Secure your messages today <link> (and get rid of this annoying message ;-))" and other various ones. Annoying, but hey too bad, small price to pay for interop. Hmmm....a advertising revenue stream for BlackBerry? text ads and/or mms tiny ads....would this pay for a new bb10 (as long as they not the tracking kind of ads, that might be a compromise)?
    BBM with ads... there is an idea.

Didn't work out too well, so they went the subscription route. Funny thing is advertisers like there to be people using your platform that are in the market they are interested in.
    10-30-19 02:39 PM

Didn't work out too well, so they went the subscription route. Funny thing is advertisers like there to be people using your platform that are in the market they are interested in.
    They should try and license BBM to somebody and let them use ads. I hear Asia is strong region for that. ;-D
    10-30-19 02:42 PM
    They should try and license BBM to somebody and let them use ads. I hear Asia is strong region for that. ;-D

I've been kicking around an idea based on some plans I found on the dark web.... it just might save BlackBerry & BBM. Maybe if I did a GoFundMe project started I'd get enough to pull it off.

Why have I lost one sms message and can't get back-c65795f70f4c6e45ec56062bc57cb8cb.jpg
    10-30-19 03:13 PM
    I've been kicking around an idea based on some plans I found on the dark web.... it just might save BlackBerry & BBM. Maybe if I did a GoFundMe project started I'd get enough to pull it off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c65795f70f4c6e45ec56062bc57cb8cb.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	446606
    LMAO
    10-30-19 10:34 PM

I think you missed the point. No BBM ads for BBM TO BBM, but BBM ads to SMS/MMS recipients of messages origininating in BBM. Of course that requires there be a link created from BBM to sms/mms. I actually think that is an awesome idea for BlackBerry to take up in all regions.
    10-30-19 11:43 PM
    Of course SMS has its problems even at the telecom office.
    So BBM might become even more important ...
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...elcos-network/
    I don't think this affects losing texts on device, but maybe something quite similiar is at play.
    Ugggg....the nightmare of devices connected to the entire internet, instead of your select few...

Like why can't a customer demand all calls from specific regions, or whole continents, that they have nothing to do with be blocked? Both on Cell and landline alike. I occasionally get chinese voicemail - who knows what they're saying?

Come to think of it, recently I made a comment about hong kong elsewhere.....was my SMS user message history disappearence due to that? or other comments on something or other?
    10-31-19 02:44 PM
    Of course SMS has its problems even at the telecom office.
    So BBM might become even more important ...
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...elcos-network/
    I don't think this affects losing texts on device, but maybe something quite similiar is at play.
    Ugggg....the nightmare of devices connected to the entire internet, instead of your select few...

Like why can't a customer demand all calls from specific regions, or whole continents, that they have nothing to do with be blocked? Both on Cell and landline alike. I occasionally get chinese voicemail - who knows what they're saying?

Come to think of it, recently I made a comment about hong kong elsewhere.....was my SMS user message history disappearence due to that? or other comments on something or other?
    Why focus on BBM? There are over a dozen IM apps that are more popular and also offer e2e encryption. Ubiquity is critical, which is why SMS remains as popular as it is.
    10-31-19 04:15 PM
    Why focus on BBM? There are over a dozen IM apps that are more popular and also offer e2e encryption. Ubiquity is critical, which is why SMS remains as popular as it is.
    ....and just how do those dozen or more IM apps monetize their service? No thanks, I'd prefer BBM. No really how are they monitizing their services? Does anyone really know?
    10-31-19 06:56 PM
    ....and just how do those dozen or more IM apps monetize their service? No thanks, I'd prefer BBM. No really how are they monitizing their services? Does anyone really know?
    Telegram and Signal are donationware. Threema, Wickr, and Wire are paid subscriptions. Viber earns revenue via international calls and enterprise services. Line makes money from selling stickers, and via non-targeted opt-in ads.

None of these access or monetise your data.

What I WON'T recommend are WhatsApp and Messenger who use your metadata to feed the Facebook monster, or WeChat and QQ who just feed the Chinese central party.
    Last edited by conite; 10-31-19 at 07:45 PM.
    10-31-19 07:00 PM