The Priv is the phone I've been waiting for! How come blackberry is dropping the ball with the marketing side of it? The 'logo' (if you want to call it that) is horrible, the introduction video's quality doesn't reflect that of the device and both make the phone look cheap. Am I crazy, or does anyone else notice this?

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 01:17 AM
    JC is not a marketeer, and probably wouldn't approve sufficient budgets.
    10-22-15 01:43 AM
    Same reason none of the other BlackBerry phones never got good marketing. BlackBerry can't market it's way out of a wet paper bag. It's been their problem from the start.

Rock'n the awesome Z30 STA100-5 on 10.3.2.2474
    10-22-15 08:58 AM
    There is no question that John Chen is a significant cost cutter. Remember when he told the reporters at a launch that the PR department wanted them to give out demo units to everyone but that it would cost something like $150K so he nixed it. Basically, he told them thanks for coming to the launch but I didn't think it was worth giving you demo units otherwise you would have gotten free phones today. Nice to meet you.

What people perceive as bad marketing is simply BlackBerry not spending money. After all, profit is revenue minus expenses so reducing expenses is just as effective as increasing revenue.

Any company can have good marketing. You just set a decent budget, solicit bids and the ad agencies show up with ideas for you to look at.
    10-22-15 09:09 AM
    BlackBerry has always been run by engineers and Enterprise managers. The success of BlackBerry with consumers was just a fluke because of the cool features that consumers could use that there enterprise ones. BlackBerry has never understood the consumer market and never brought in people from a consumer side company. They always brought in more engineers and enterprise management. Chen is another one in this vein and he wants to go all enterprise software (as no consumer will ever pay for what they are offering). This is why I don't think the Priv (or any other Android phone from BlackBerry) will ever sell more than BlackBerry 10 phones. They already have the niche covered. They should have continued with BB10 phones and worked on tools that would allow developers to compile iOS/Android code to native.
    10-22-15 09:19 AM