Home CrackBerry Q&A > Ask a Question

Why does my BlackBerry Priv screen go black with clock on?

Asked: Oct 11 2018 | 8:25 am EDT 1179 Views 7 Answers View Best Answer

Hello!

I just purchased a new old stock Priv from a cell dealer.
Occasionally, while I'm using the phone, the screen goes black while still maintaining the widget clock and notification icon right below it as well as the top screen icons right above the clock. Nothing happens if I touch the screen. If I lift the screen, my home screen comes back but sometimes if I lower the screen right away, the black screen comes back untill I lift the screen again.
Has anybody had this issue?
I'm not sure if this is a glitch or something else.
Any help would be great!

Best Answer

Oct 18 2018 | 11:39 pm EDT Rico4you

If it was the lock screen, I should still be able to swipe to enter my pin. It does not allow me to do anything unless I lift the screen or push the power key. As far as the display sleep time goes, the display does this erratic thing long before the sleep time kicks in. Sometimes it happens 3 or 4 times in a row. Sliding the screen up and down clears it each time.
Hello try going into settings, display, toggle off lift to wake, toggle on double tap to wake. good luck

More Answers

Oct 11 2018 | 9:43 am EDT pkcable

Sounds like the normal AOD (Always On Display) function of the lock screen. You can probably turn it off in settings. You can also set a longer delay before your device goes to sleep.
Oct 11 2018 | 10:12 am EDT mrloveberry1

If it was the lock screen, I should still be able to swipe to enter my pin. It does not allow me to do anything unless I lift the screen or push the power key. As far as the display sleep time goes, the display does this erratic thing long before the sleep time kicks in. Sometimes it happens 3 or 4 times in a row. Sliding the screen up and down clears it each time.
Oct 11 2018 | 11:19 am EDT mrloveberry1

Thanks for the links! I just hope I can figure this out without having to contact Blackberry! I can just imagine the torment trying to some help from them.
I also hope that it's just a setting issue but my gut is telling me otherwise.
Oct 20 2018 | 7:28 pm EDT mrloveberry1

Thanks to all for your help!
Come to find out it was the case that I bought for it that was causing the problem. The issue never happens when the phone is out of it. .......just whenever it's in it. The case must be squeezing the sides to tight causing the problem.
Oct 21 2018 | 1:50 pm EDT mrloveberry1

Well I just come to the conclusion that my screen acting the way it does is due to the flip open wallet case. When I flip the cover behind, and it's in a certain spot, that's when my screen appears to go into sleep mode.
The magnet must be in the cover and is affecting something on the back side of the phone. If I fold the strap in between the front and back cover giving it a little more space, then the problem goes away.
Problem solved!