News has just arrived through Crackberry that Blackberry is planning to launch a version of the KeyOne in India that is arguably better than that available in the UK and elsewhere,and is manufactured by a different company... Black, dual sim, and 2 TB memory option. So I for one will not be buying what seems an inferior version of the KeyOne launched in the UK as a limited edition. Blackberry have never been masters of marketing, but they now seem to have lost the plot entirely. or am I missing something, other than marketing contrasts between high-tech India and post Brexit Little England?
    Last edited by idiomatic; 08-02-17 at 04:59 AM. Reason: to add afterthought and category
    08-02-17 04:56 AM
    Because Optiemus felt the current one would not sell well in their market with those specs.

Let's face it the KEYone was specked-out almost a year ago now.... it's a different market now. Might be able to go to those specs with little up front cost...
    portplayer likes this.
    08-02-17 07:02 AM
    Because time passes and things change.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-02-17 07:11 AM
    time passes and things change? a phone that was released only 2 months ago? the keyone simply had "meh" specs from the beginning with an unbelievably crazy price, i'm so glad I never purchased it, and now there are crazy amounts of people with their screens falling off. i'm a huge blackberry fan but i'm seriously surprised that after all this years making crap decisions and crap phones, blackberry is still alive. The new black version is how the keyone needed to be released from the beginning
    Last edited by DiegoV_G; 08-02-17 at 07:50 PM.
    08-02-17 06:50 PM
    time passes and things change? a phone that was released only 2 months ago? the keyone simply had "meh" specs from the beginning with an unbelievably crazy price, i'm so glad I never purchased it, and now there are crazy amounts of people with their screens falling off. i'm a huge blackberry fan but i'm seriously surprised that after all this years making crap decisions and crap phones, blackberry is still alive. The new black version is how the keyone needed to be released from the beginning
    So now it's available. Go and buy it.
    08-02-17 09:31 PM
    I still don't think the screen issue is nearly as extreme as people are making it out to be. And the new version does seem to be a better value, but in reality they won't perform much differently (same SOC). Maybe you will see a price decrease on the original keyone and the new keyone will be released to a larger market once the India buzz from having exclusivity dies off. Who knows and who cares, I don't see any issues with the keyone devices out in our markets right now, maybe they will offer up a trade in program for screen poppers, to the limited edition lol. Just be glad we can still go out and buy a BlackBerry device

Posted with my good ol reliable classic
    08-02-17 09:33 PM
    First of all, as many people will quickly point out (in order to defend a company that doesn't care about them), BlackBerry doesn't make phones anymore.

So the Keyone isn't really a BlackBerry phone.

Secondly, it's because the Chinese and Indians actually like good devices, and would never spend a ridiculous amount of money on a trash Keyone.

And because they knew they could take advantage of all the BlackBerry fans, put out some trash, and collect the profits.
    08-02-17 09:57 PM
    Well, Optiemus (who is responsible for this phone, though they partnered with TCL for the first production run) may well have seen the consumer reaction to the original specs and taken advantage of lower prices several months later to produce a better phone at a lower price.

Remember that the licensees are making all the decisions now. If TCL/Blackberry Mobile thinks they will make enough profit selling a newer version of the KEYone in the markets they can sell to (almost everywhere besides India and Indonesia), they will.

08-03-17 09:05 AM
    Well, Optiemus (who is responsible for this phone, though they partnered with TCL for the first production run) may well have seen the consumer reaction to the original specs and taken advantage of lower prices several months later to produce a better phone at a lower price.

Remember that the licensees are making all the decisions now. If TCL/Blackberry Mobile thinks they will make enough profit selling a newer version of the KEYone in the markets they can sell to (almost everywhere besides India and Indonesia), they will.

Of course, similar to the Aurora, the dual-sim idea is more prevalent in those areas. As a result, 64 GB of on-board memory is needed because of the lack of an SD card when using the second Sim. The only real upgrade is the memory going from 3 to 4 gigabytes.
    08-03-17 09:10 AM
    First of all, as many people will quickly point out (in order to defend a company that doesn't care about them), BlackBerry doesn't make phones anymore.

So the Keyone isn't really a BlackBerry phone.

Secondly, it's because the Chinese and Indians actually like good devices, and would never spend a ridiculous amount of money on a trash Keyone.

And because they knew they could take advantage of all the BlackBerry fans, put out some trash, and collect the profits.
    Having spent some time with the KEYone, what you call "trash" is the best Android phone I have experienced, at any price. So, while I am happy to debate whether the specs are ideal, or whether the manufacturing quality is consistent enough, your opinion does not match that of most of the professional reviewers and owners of the phone.

Moreover, many of us are very pleased that BlackBerry and TCL are keeping the unique vision of BlackBerry professionalism and productivity alive in this era of media and social network-oriented consumer slabs.

VictorRight likes this.
    08-03-17 09:12 AM
    Of course, similar to the Aurora, the dual-sim idea is more prevalent in those areas. As a result, 64 GB of on-board memory is needed because of the lack of an SD card when using the second Sim. The only real upgrade is the memory going from 3 to 4 gigabytes.
    That's a good point. While I would live a dual sim phone in the US, I would never give up an SD slot for it!

Also, while more RAM is always better, I can't imagine a significant performance bump from it for anything I do. It's a minor upgrade for business users.
    08-03-17 09:16 AM
    I'm waiting for the 836 model with 8gb of RAM and 128gb of internal storage.
    08-03-17 09:19 AM
    That's a good point. While I would live a dual sim phone in the US, I would never give up an SD slot for it!

Also, while more RAM is always better, I can't imagine a significant performance bump from it for anything I do. It's a minor upgrade for business users.
    As a matter of fact, mr. Mobile said it was not a performance booster at all after using the device for a few days. The only thing the extra Ram will do is allow you to have more than five or six apps open at the same time and retain their states.
    08-03-17 09:22 AM
    I'm waiting for the 836 model with 8gb of RAM and 128gb of internal storage.
    ...or the Ryzen version with 32GB RAM and 16 cores with multi-threading, Hypervisor, Lithuanian language support, dual-sim, and 6 boot options (Android, BB10, BBOS, Windows, Linux and PalmOS), all available with dark Hub settings.

08-03-17 09:23 AM
    The answer to the question in the title is that these are not BlackBerry's decisions to make. Optiemus pays good money for the license to the brand and the software. Optiemus know the Indian market. Optiemus makes the decisions on what models they want to sell and what those specs should be.
    08-03-17 09:26 AM
    ...or the Ryzen version with 32GB RAM and 16 cores with multi-threading, Hypervisor, Lithuanian language support, dual-sim, and 6 boot options (Android, BB10, BBOS, Windows, Linux and PalmOS), all available with dark Hub settings.

With 6 boot option you will need more internal storage. I recommend you hold out for the 128gb version of that or the 256gb lol
    08-03-17 09:30 AM
    The answer to the question in the title is that these are not BlackBerry's decisions to make. Optiemus pays good money for the license to the brand and the software. Optiemus know the Indian market. Optiemus makes the decisions on what models they want to sell and what those specs should be.
    What's more interesting is the question of whether TCL will release the KEYtwo with 4GB RAM and 64 GB memory.

08-03-17 09:30 AM
    Because time passes and things change.

That's a great answer for all sorts of queries. I'm going to be recording this one for future use. The lazy layman's response!
    08-03-17 09:50 AM
    That's a great answer for all sorts of queries. I'm going to be recording this one for future use. The lazy layman's response!
    Well, the question seemed absurd.

"News Flash: India Tech company releases new product, based on recent product from a Chinese company, with improvements.".

WTH?

08-03-17 10:05 AM
    The broader world is so much farther ahead than the U.S. in cellular and wireless technology.
    08-03-17 10:17 AM
    Nobody seems to complain when indians don't get limited edition devices..nobody complains when we pay 2x of what you pay..now everyone seems to start complaining..
    We in India don't hesitate to pay more..it's just that we will pay only if something is worth it
    Keyone is specced a bit differently in india bcz our market demands it

Posted via CB10
    08-06-17 05:13 PM
    Having spent some time with the KEYone, what you call "trash" is the best Android phone I have experienced, at any price. So, while I am happy to debate whether the specs are ideal, or whether the manufacturing quality is consistent enough, your opinion does not match that of most of the professional reviewers and owners of the phone.

Moreover, many of us are very pleased that BlackBerry and TCL are keeping the unique vision of BlackBerry professionalism and productivity alive in this era of media and social network-oriented consumer slabs.

Agreed. Don't mind the haters. Have the KEYone and love it. Best phone I've ever had.

Posted with my BlackBerry KEYone.
    terminatorx likes this.
    08-06-17 06:12 PM
    Thanks
    Let's keep the love for BlackBerry going.

Posts from my BlackBerry Z10

Posted via CB10
    08-06-17 06:15 PM
    Dual Sim is a must in the indian market due to the way telecom operators work in this country. there is no subsidised handset price scheme in india unlike UK US or CANADA. over there a customer probably get the handset as part of their two year contract whereas in india customer buy the handset and use it along with any carrier they prefer to. samsung s8 has an 8gb 128gb version for india which isn't available elsewhere. in UK or US the carrier restricts manufacture whereas in india the carrier has not much control over manufacture.
    08-20-17 04:56 AM