Hi. I have a Classic and it does everything I need it to. The web browsing is not ideal, but I mainly use it for texting, phone calls, and email anyway. I prefer backing up and synching on my computer (a Mac fwiw). If they made iPhones with QWERTY, I might get one to hard synch it with my computer... but they don't. SO- the KEYOne looks good BUT I worry about the fact that there is nothing like BBLink to use with it. I am also not thrilled with the fact that creepy Google (as opposed to creepy Apple or any other creepy data mining bunch) will just have my entire life there for the picking once I am using the BlackDroid phone. I am also already hearing that the KEYOnes are not even getting the latest patches and software updates so are already vulnerable! I also like the old BBold sounds when a text comes in - not sure that can even be done on the KEYOne. I dont care about being mocked for using a "not cool" phone. So, why ditch my Classic for the KEYOne? Is there a security concern with BB10 now that it is never gonna be updated again or something? I can just get a CDMA BBClassic for like $250.00 at Amazon and have it in a drawer if this one ever craps out. THANKS!
    Last edited by BbClassic; 09-25-17 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typos
    09-25-17 12:47 PM
    "if it's not broken don't fix it"
    you don't seem to need a phone
    09-25-17 01:00 PM
    Thanks. I am just worried about a completely unsupported smartphone with no patches /updates down the road. I don't know enough about this tech stuff to comprehend if that creates a hacking risk or not. Am guessing that since I don;t use man y applications, I would be ok though? Also, does Google have my whole life anyway since BB10 has some Google Android compatibility?
    09-25-17 01:05 PM
    it's cheaper if you really need it to get a cellular tablet or a surface instead of spending too much on some not worth it device
    09-25-17 02:03 PM
    Millions of phone users have android devices, and go on with zero problems. I have not been hacked, so far. Is it really a big issue for people?

Consider this: if your Classic breaks or gets lost, how will your back up help you? Can you get another Classic, and if so, will the back up restore to a new device?
    09-25-17 02:15 PM
    Backing up my KEYone is pretty easy with Asus's file manager. It has samba support so I can just copy files over to my computer over the network. Having android also means having access to the apps which may not seem like a big deal at first, but as you use it you tend to accumulate apps that wouldn't work or work poorly on BB10.
    When I went on vacation shortly after getting my KEYone, it completely filled the role my Android tablet would have had to perform if I had been using my Classic, and did it better.
    Sure there are some drawbacks to it, but they're small and I think the benefits far outweigh them.
    As for updates, I'm current, but bear in mind you're always vulnerable. Hell there's a recent Bluetooth vulnerability that spans platforms because it's partly based on a flaw in the chip design.
    09-25-17 02:38 PM
    I am not sure I completely understand. Is there some software I can download to my Mac and/or a Keyone phone that would mean I am backing it up with no cloud or 3rd party involved? Like Link works for the Classic?
    09-25-17 08:44 PM
    The updates with the KEYone come incredibly quicker than BlackBerry 10 updates ever did.
    09-25-17 10:14 PM
    I am not sure I completely understand. Is there some software I can download to my Mac and/or a Keyone phone that would mean I am backing it up with no cloud or 3rd party involved? Like Link works for the Classic?
    On Windows, plugging any android phone post 4.0 gives you a device you can transfer files back and forth from like any other drive (albeit with some nags if the files are of certain types). So at a bare minimum if Mac does similar (and why wouldn't it?) You can just do that.

The method I use works for me because I already set up windows file sharing and I just needed a client for the phone. Asus file manager happens to be the best one I've found.

I know Mac also speaks cifs (windows file sharing protocol) but don't know how to set it up on modern versions. Being BSD-based, I'm sure Mac also speaks NFS, but I never did fully understand NFS so I don't use it even on my Linux boxes.
    09-26-17 12:40 PM
    What I was trying to ask you is: If you lose your Classic, does your back up (from the lost device) restore to a new device?

I have never lost a phone, but I read horror stories here all the time that people have trouble when that happens.
    09-26-17 02:04 PM
    Denise - All I ever had to do with a lost or broken BBOS 10 phone (like a Classic I had that had digitizer issues) was... take the new Classic out of the box, exchange the SIM card from the old device, and plug the new one into my computer's USB and open Link. It can be done without USB of course, but I prefer to wireless. Anyway, all I did was click "restore with files you have created" on Link (basically the last backup of the old Classic that I had made). The whole process took maybe 5 minutes and my new Classic - fresh from the box- was an exact clone of the old one, except it did not have the digitizer issue or whatever had been malfunctioning on the old one. Everything, even ring tones were there. THIS is what I want from a KeyOne instead of dealing with clouds and 3rd party or middle men. Just software that allows me to back up and restore as I want. If the old device was lost, I would just have to get a new SIM card from my carrier.
    Last edited by BbClassic; 09-26-17 at 02:25 PM.
    09-26-17 02:13 PM
    i think it should restore without any issues if you use the same bbid to sign in (never try it on bb device ,i know works with apple)
    09-26-17 02:15 PM
    I am giving the Keyone a chance. Thanks to everyone for putting up with this grumpy old man.
    09-27-17 09:11 PM