Because my Blackberry Curve 9310 doesn't hold on to text messages that I wanted saved, I decided to try to transfer them to my PC. I downloaded the Desktop Software and did backups.

But today I tried to open those backup files on my PC and I can't read anything. Instead of texts from my phone what pops up is a bunch of computer gibberish and symbols. Where's the english?

I tried calling blackberry support, but I can't get a human for the life of me. Also it's a company phone and I'd rather my employer not know that I'm saving the texts so maybe it's best not to go through blackberry support anyway.
    07-06-17 03:16 PM
    You Desktop Software backups are either encrypted or just in a binary format and cannot be read on your PC as text.

See if you can find other software that will backup your text messages in a text readable format.
    07-06-17 04:53 PM
    Well, yes I already know that it's encrypted or whatever. I need to know how to read the files I already saved. Like seriously, what's the point of backing anything up on my PC with the desktop software if it just comes up as this gibberish? What's the point of this software? It doesn't do anything except take your files and translate everything into a gibberish mess?

I have back up files from months ago and I need to be able to read them.
    07-06-17 08:35 PM
    The point of that old and outdated desktop software was and is to allow you to make secure backups to your PC and to be able to restore them to your phone if needed.
    07-07-17 01:17 PM
    Backups arent meant to be read on the PC at all. You are meant to backup the phone and then restore that straight back to a phone if a failure occurs. you would need a specific app as mentioned to backup JUST the sms messages which the intent of reading them on a PC.
    07-07-17 01:21 PM
    Ohhh. I didn't realize this. Ok. So are there any ideas on what software I can use to read these already backed up files on my pc? If I just send them to a phone I'm assuming they're just going to be erased every 30 days anyway. The whole point of transfering it to my pc is so that I can save them. My blackberry will not save texts and I think the company I work for set it up that way.
    07-08-17 09:12 AM
    There must be software which will allow you to export SMS conversations to text or even csv. A csv would let you open the texts in Excel, at least. For BB10 there is SMS Backup, which will do this, but I don't know what is available for BBOS.

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.3.2.2813
    07-08-17 01:39 PM
    You could use an sms2email type of app that would forward your texts to email and provide you with an archive of future tests, not sure what you can use to archive older text messages.
    07-08-17 10:17 PM