Hi, I have a q10 with 10.3.2.680 OS. I am trying to created custom ringtones for text messages from different contacts. When I try to change the text message tone either through the contact itself or through notifications it shows that it is saving the text tone I want. But when a text comes through from that contact, it keeps playing the default tone.

I have tried:
    -moving the custom ringtones I want to the sim card.
    -saving them on the device.
    -moving the tones I want to use into different folders on the phone and device but it does not help.
    -I have also tried deleting all my custom settings and restoring ringtones to default and beginning again, but this did not work.

On top of this, even if i try to use a ringtone that came with the phone for a specific contact, it still will not work. It still plays the default text tone.

Note that the custom ringtones do work for the phone calls and emails, but not for the text messages.

Also when I go into the hub
    -click settings
    -click hub management
    -click text message
    I am unable to select "show texts in hub only". This button is greyed out and i cannot select it. I CAN select "show in separate accounts" or "show in both" but cannot select "show in hub only". Could this also have something to do with this?????

Does anyone know how to fix this???
    Do you know if it is a common glitch with this recent OS system???
    Is there an app that can help me work around this???

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you to anyone who can.
    07-04-15 06:23 PM
    Hi, I have a q10 with 10.3.2.680 OS. I am trying to created custom ringtones for text messages from different contacts. When I try to change the text message tone either through the contact itself or through notifications it shows that it is saving the text tone I want. But when a text comes through from that contact, it keeps playing the default tone.

I have tried:
    -moving the custom ringtones I want to the sim card.
    -saving them on the device.
    -moving the tones I want to use into different folders on the phone and device but it does not help.
    -I have also tried deleting all my custom settings and restoring ringtones to default and beginning again, but this did not work.

On top of this, even if i try to use a ringtone that came with the phone for a specific contact, it still will not work. It still plays the default text tone.

Note that the custom ringtones do work for the phone calls and emails, but not for the text messages.

Also when I go into the hub
    -click settings
    -click hub management
    -click text message
    I am unable to select "show texts in hub only". This button is greyed out and i cannot select it. I CAN select "show in separate accounts" or "show in both" but cannot select "show in hub only". Could this also have something to do with this?????

Does anyone know how to fix this???
    Do you know if it is a common glitch with this recent OS system???
    Is there an app that can help me work around this???

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you to anyone who can.
    This subject has been raised before...... what has usually been found to be the reason......

is that the telephone number is already stored against a another contact in your contacts list.

eg, if have two contacts for my mother, eg 'Mother' & 'Mary Smith' I need to ensure that for BOTH contacts, I go into the Contacts Application, edit the Contact, and go into the 'Ringtones & Notification' function, etc, etc.

I use lots of Custom Ringtones and they have worked since day one on my Q10, and now on my Passport (on 10.3.1.x ).

For example, if Mother calls me, the phone plays 'Ride of the Valkyries'; if mother texts me, the phone plays 'Yoda - message from the dark side there is' (which always seems to amuse my staff).

Other:
    • most of my custom ringtones are on my SD Card, but some others are in the phones memory (none of them are on the SIM Card)
    • my contacts are saved on the phone (not on the SIM Card)

Hope this helps.
    07-04-15 09:12 PM
    Ok. Thank you for your answer. Can you explain a little further on how I would edit the contact. Do you mean that If i have a contact "John Smith" and then that contact John Smith is also in a group contact that is why it is not working. So I would have to delete "John Smith" from the group contact????

Or do you mean that a contact has more than one phone number in it???

Can you let me know.
    07-04-15 09:40 PM
    Two different names

John Smith
    John C Smith

Mom
    Mary Smith

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-04-15 11:04 PM
    Ok. Thank you for your answer. Can you explain a little further on how I would edit the contact. Do you mean that If i have a contact "John Smith" and then that contact John Smith is also in a group contact that is why it is not working. So I would have to delete "John Smith" from the group contact????

Or do you mean that a contact has more than one phone number in it???

Can you let me know.
    What I meant was, that the usual problem, is that the same phone number is saved in more than one contact,

for example: my sister's home landline number is saved in the contact 'Sister' - however the same landline number is also saved in the contact 'Nephew' (eg her son, who lives with her'). When my Sister calls me, her contact does NOT show up on my phone (nor does her Custom Ringtone play), as my phone recognises that the call is coming from my Nephew (as N is before S in the Contacts List).

In your attempts to get a Custom Ringtone for a specific someone texting you, have you seen a screen like this? If not, have another fiddle!

Why can't i have custom ringtones for text messages from different contacts???-textmsgringtone.jpg

You get to this screen/function, via: Contacts Application -> Specific Contact - > Edit (symbol that looks like a Pencil) -> Ringtone & Notifications -> Text Messages

Hope I've answered the question a bit better now.
    07-05-15 06:17 AM
    Dear Al,

I have seen a screen like this. This is where i have attempted to save a custom ring tone for each contact i have tried. For a few of my friends I have there phone number by itself in one contact, and then also have there phone number in contact group I created. could that be an issue???

However for one person, a girl, I only have one contact for her. Her phone number is not in another contact. It is just one cell phone number for her. I have a ringtone set for when she calls from that number and a ringtone for when she texts me from that same number. But only the ringtone when she calls works. I don't have her number saved anywhere else. But the text ringtone still does not work.

I wonder if it could be that the contact itself is faulty. I transferred all of my contacts from my BB Bold. Maybe it just does not like some of them??? And I need to redo some of them. Because for one of my good friends the sound i chose for his text message works. But no one else's works.

Or maybe it is because I just got updated to 10.2.3.440 version 10.3.2.680 and there is a glitch in that OS????

What do you think???
    07-05-15 11:37 AM
    Dear Al,

I have seen a screen like this. This is where i have attempted to save a custom ring tone for each contact i have tried. For a few of my friends I have there phone number by itself in one contact, and then also have there phone number in contact group I created. could that be an issue???

However for one person, a girl, I only have one contact for her. Her phone number is not in another contact. It is just one cell phone number for her. I have a ringtone set for when she calls from that number and a ringtone for when she texts me from that same number. But only the ringtone when she calls works. I don't have her number saved anywhere else. But the text ringtone still does not work.

I wonder if it could be that the contact itself is faulty. I transferred all of my contacts from my BB Bold. Maybe it just does not like some of them??? And I need to redo some of them. Because for one of my good friends the sound i chose for his text message works. But no one else's works.

Or maybe it is because I just got updated to 10.2.3.440 version 10.3.2.680 and there is a glitch in that OS????

What do you think???
    Sorry, no idea. I am on 10.3.1.x and all is fine for me.

Suggestion: write down the phone number of the girlie(!), delete the contact (of the girl), re-boot, soft-reset, and create a brand new contact with the young lady's phone number (and the two Custom Ringtones). Then get her to both call and text you and see if it works.....
    07-05-15 11:54 AM
    Dear Al,

I did try your suggestion but the custom text ringtone is still not working. So strange. If you or anyone reading this thread has any ideas on how i could fix this problem or if it is even fixable let me know. Thank you always my loyal blackberry people
    07-06-15 03:53 PM
    Dear Al,

I did try your suggestion but the custom text ringtone is still not working. So strange. If you or anyone reading this thread has any ideas on how i could fix this problem or if it is even fixable let me know. Thank you always my loyal blackberry people
    Sorry to hear that - maybe the issue will be fixed when you next have an OS update. Good Luck!
    07-06-15 04:14 PM
    If anyone knows why this might be happening I would love to find the answer. Thank you. Please let me know any info you have.
    07-06-15 09:56 PM
    To all who read this post. I found an answer to this question. There is an app in blackberry app store called Power tools. It will allow you to create custom text message tones for different contacts and general text messages as a whole. I downloaded it and put it on my q10 and it worked. Now I can set custom ringtones that come from specific text messages and general text messages. The app does cost money but it works. You can also use it to set tones for emails and phone calls. Hope this helps anyone who is having this problem.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    07-08-15 01:21 AM