I knew back in the spring that AT&T would supposedly kill off my Passport but I mistakenly thought that meant it simply wouldn't work any more.

Now, as of some time this past spring, I can no longer place or receive calls, but, to my amazement, here in September:

1. I'm still paying them every month for my line.
    2. I still get texts to my number and can send to others
    3. I use it every day as a wifi Hotspot with no issues.

So, interwebs people, 'splain to me why an audio call doesn't work?

Seriously, this is perplexing to me as a totally tech-challenged, soul.
    09-11-22 06:49 PM
    I knew back in the spring that AT&T would supposedly kill off my Passport but I mistakenly thought that meant it simply wouldn't work any more.

Now, as of some time this past spring, I can no longer place or receive calls, but, to my amazement, here in September:

call them to set the phone back up or check the APN
    09-11-22 07:06 PM

The phone needs to be AT&T VoLTE compatible with and supported by AT&T via their device whitelist.
    Laura Knotek and brookie229 like this.
    09-11-22 07:44 PM
    Or, because voice and data work off two separate streams; voice antennae for the bands that your Passport receives have been dismantled but the data towers have been and will continue to be kept in operation, so you can still text and surf. I think that's the explanation and maybe you can still do voice if you switch to a VOIP app.

Others will know better about this being the case, also in my experience VOIP apps can vary in quality so if you want to try that route you should check reviews of the service providers. But they are cheap.

I have a Passport too, I like it soooo much.
    09-11-22 09:11 PM
    Or, because voice and data work off two separate streams; voice antennae for the bands that your Passport receives have been dismantled but the data towers have been and will continue to be kept in operation, so you can still text and surf. I think that's the explanation and maybe you can still do voice if you switch to a VOIP app.

Others will know better about this being the case, also in my experience VOIP apps can vary in quality so if you want to try that route you should check reviews of the service providers. But they are cheap.

I have a Passport too, I like it soooo much.
    That's what I said, as 3G on AT&T has been shutdown.
    09-12-22 06:52 AM
    Data works on LTE
    Voice does not.

VoLTE is something BB10 devices were capable of... but it's a carrier dependent feature that has evolved to newer standards that BB10 does not support in markets with these newer standards.

In the USA, BB10 phone fell back to 3G for voice calls for a few years now. But with 3G being turned off and BB10 not supporting these newer versions of VoLTE... there is no voice option anymore.
    09-12-22 11:27 AM
    Data works on LTE
    Voice does not.

VoLTE is something BB10 devices were capable of... but it's a carrier dependent feature that has evolved to newer standards that BB10 does not support in markets with these newer standards.

In the USA, BB10 phone fell back to 3G for voice calls for a few years now. But with 3G being turned off and BB10 not supporting these newer versions of VoLTE... there is no voice option anymore.
    Its funny on T Mobile the 2G network is still up and running and the phone will default back to it but you will loose data until you hang up the call.
    09-12-22 04:24 PM
    Its funny on T Mobile the 2G network is still up and running and the phone will default back to it but you will loose data until you hang up the call.
    T-Mobile has been shutting down their 2G network over the last 2 years.

This is from the T-Mobile starting 2 years ago about 2G - https://community.t-mobile.com/netwo...onna-die-14191

tmo_laurenEmployee413 replies2 years agoANSWER
    Greetings!

"The 2g network has been being progressively decommissioned in order to free up other spectrum for newer technology. While there's plenty of information from sites other than ours explaining as much, it doesn't appear we have any direct documentation regarding this which definitely isn't ideal. I'm going to go ahead and find a content ticket regarding it, but ultimately some of the answers above explain what's happening.

It's been a gradual change which explains why some areas that have worked recently no longer, and it will continue to progress in that direction."

As far as the OP's message. The behavior is what has always been expected. Data should work, the only surprise is that AT&T is allowing data only smartphones. In the past you had to have voice and data. I guess now AT&T does not care if the customer wants to pay for a data only connection.
    Last edited by eshropshire; 09-13-22 at 11:52 AM.
    09-13-22 11:28 AM
    T-Mobile has been shutting down their 2G network over the last 2 years.

This is from the T-Mobile starting 2 years ago about 2G - https://community.t-mobile.com/netwo...onna-die-14191

tmo_laurenEmployee413 replies2 years agoANSWER
    Greetings!

"The 2g network has been being progressively decommissioned in order to free up other spectrum for newer technology. While there's plenty of information from sites other than ours explaining as much, it doesn't appear we have any direct documentation regarding this which definitely isn't ideal. I'm going to go ahead and find a content ticket regarding it, but ultimately some of the answers above explain what's happening.

It's been a gradual change which explains why some areas that have worked recently no longer, and it will continue to progress in that direction."

As far as the OP's message. The behavior is what has always been expected. Data should work, the only surprise is that AT&T is allowing data only smartphones. In the past you had to have voice and data. I guess now AT&T does not care if the customer wants to pay for a data only connection.
    No, you miss understood. On T Mobile they had to leave 2G online because of a lawsuit with Dish. It's funny that the phone connects to 2 G Stay tuned. BTW thank you for the input
    09-13-22 02:39 PM
    Data works on LTE
    Voice does not.

You know I think the BB Priv has the same issue.
    09-13-22 03:01 PM
    No, you miss understood. On T Mobile they had to leave 2G online because of a lawsuit with Dish. It's funny that the phone connects to 2 G Stay tuned. BTW thank you for the input
    Is this a new lawsuit?
    Here is what I can find - https://www.law360.com/articles/1505...-shutdown-deal

Seems weird they are expanding their partnership while a lawsuit is going on. https://www.t-mobile.com/news/networ...twork-services

BTW, don't take my post as hostile. I just have not heard of any conflict between Dish and T-Mobile over 2G. Dish was very upset about the CDMA 3G sunsetting date. Lots of anger between the two companies over that issue, but seems like they found a way around the issue.
    Last edited by eshropshire; 09-13-22 at 03:55 PM.
    09-13-22 03:12 PM
    Is this a new lawsuit?
    Here is what I can find - https://www.law360.com/articles/1505...-shutdown-deal

Seems weird they are expanding their partnership while a lawsuit is going on. https://www.t-mobile.com/news/networ...twork-services

BTW, don't take my post as hostile. I just have not heard of any conflict between Dish and T-Mobile over 2G. Dish was very upset about the CDMA 3G sunsetting date. Lots of anger between the two companies over that issue, but seems like they found a way around the issue.
    I did not take them as hostile that’s why I thanked you. Dish is going after T Mobile also for 2G
    09-13-22 05:02 PM
    I did not take them as hostile that’s why I thanked you. Dish is going after T Mobile also for 2G
    I have been doing searches and can not find anything about Dish, T-Mobile and 2G. Everything I find now is Dish and T-Mobile agreeing on shutting down Sprints old 3G CDMA network (completed mid Summer) and how they are expanding their partnership. Dish took over part of Sprint's old network and Sprint shuttered their 2G CDMA network last December.

T-Mobile may or may not have the last 2G network in the USA by the end of the year. Depends on their plans. Verizon has finally told all IOT they are done and the last remaining towers will be shut down on 13-31-22. Some areas of the Verizon network have already shut down these services.
    09-14-22 02:09 PM
    I have been doing searches and can not find anything about Dish, T-Mobile and 2G. Everything I find now is Dish and T-Mobile agreeing on shutting down Sprints old 3G CDMA network (completed mid Summer) and how they are expanding their partnership. Dish took over part of Sprint's old network and Sprint shuttered their 2G CDMA network last December.

T-Mobile may or may not have the last 2G network in the USA by the end of the year. Depends on their plans. Verizon has finally told all IOT they are done and the last remaining towers will be shut down on 13-31-22. Some areas of the Verizon network have already shut down these services.
    Dish and T mobile are locked in a nasty battle. Dish wants T mobile to keep 2G-3G up for another two years. This was the original agreement on the purchase. Soon after T mobile started the shutdown. 2G is important to dish since most of the market share is outside of the large markets were signal is spotty at best.
    09-14-22 02:38 PM
    Dish and T mobile are locked in a nasty battle. Dish wants T mobile to keep 2G-3G up for another two years. This was the original agreement on the purchase. Soon after T mobile started the shutdown. 2G is important to dish since most of the market share is outside of the large markets were signal is spotty at best.
    Not according to this...

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/di...a-shut-dispute

That was last February, and related to the CDMA network. No mention of T-Mobile's original GSM 2G network.

And then there's this new deal that Dish made with T-Mobile just this past June.

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/dish.../d/d-id/778413

Basically, T-Mobile gave Dish a better network access fee than AT&T gave them a year earlier.

Seems that nasty battle is done.
    09-14-22 03:17 PM
    Not according to this...

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/di...a-shut-dispute

That was last February, and related to the CDMA network. No mention of T-Mobile's original GSM 2G network.

And then there's this new deal that Dish made with T-Mobile just this past June.

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/dish.../d/d-id/778413

Basically, T-Mobile gave Dish a better network access fee than AT&T gave them a year earlier.

Seems that nasty battle is done.
    The news is behind, T mobile broke the last deal about 3 weeks ago. a friend who is a corporate attorney is handling the DISH side and they are getting ready to go back in
    09-14-22 03:19 PM
    The news is behind, T mobile broke the last deal about 3 weeks ago. a friend who is a corporate attorney is handling the DISH side and they are getting ready to go back in
    Must be very new and they're being awfully quite. I'm finding nothing about it.

Of course, I'm off topic now.
    09-14-22 03:40 PM
    Must be very new and they're being awfully quite. I'm finding nothing about it.

Of course, I'm off topic now.
    Not at all, until they file both side will keep it quite, I will assume that the arm twisting keeps going until it can’t
    09-14-22 03:43 PM
    Not at all, until they file both side will keep it quite, I will assume that the arm twisting keeps going until it can’t
    T-Mobile current 2G network doesn't come close to where 3G and 4G expanded to. You can go to cellmapper and see where there are towers broadcasting, but you'd be back in the days of dropped calls and "can you hear me now". Not all T-Mobile towers have 2G on them.... I expect coverage is pretty much the same as it was twenty years ago.

Dish might recoup some monies if they can win a case. But I don't think that's going to change the landscape of where 2G is heading.
    09-30-22 01:08 PM