Personally I feel loyalty to BB, cause as a resident of the Waterloo area I recognize that BB and RIM before supported the area as very good corporate citizens. Donations to hospitals, recreation facilities, so BB for me!
    stlabrat likes this.
    02-06-17 11:03 AM
    If BlackBerry had just renamed the Android Runtime to Kindle Fire runtime, they could have kept developing it (or let Amazon do it). Apparently they had to abandon it because they went Google. But Kindle Fire OS isn't legally Google's version of Android.
    02-06-17 11:09 AM
    You should not get a new phone :lol:

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 11:28 AM
    If BlackBerry had just renamed the Android Runtime to Kindle Fire runtime, they could have kept developing it (or let Amazon do it). Apparently they had to abandon it because they went Google. But Kindle Fire OS isn't legally Google's version of Android.
    Sorry but they abandon it because it cost them too much money to keep those developers - Chen cut a LOT of BB10 development back in 2013 and throughout 2014. Which is why we didn't get Android 4.4.4 in 2013 or Android 5 in 2014, before BlackBerry made their hypothetical "deal" with Google in 2015 to kill the BB10 platform - other than security patches. Chen's cuts also killed the move to 64Bit that was being talked about back then and work on newer SDKs for developers...

If BlackBerry had given users an Android 5.0 update..... 1) it is much more memory friendly, thus would have increased performance 2) it would have kept BB10 capable of running most apps for a few more years. As it stand Android 4.4 (or 5.0) is the cut off point for many developers today, and thus more and more BB10 users find themselves having to try to use an older compatible app, or find themselves simple left out. Thus most the folks still using BB10 are people that don't really use or even want apps. Solutions like SNAP and Cobalt's Google Play Store were stop gap measures at best.
    02-06-17 11:47 AM
    Some of us want more than "vanilla"...
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with you fully.... and I have all sorts of goodies loaded on my Z30.

What I meant was that if I wanted to do exactly what I do, out of the box, on any of the BlackBerry devices I have had and still use, but on an iOS, Windows, or Android device, I either couldn't at all without hacking/jail-breaking/rooting, get some newer/higher end version of said OS device, or would have to install additional third party apps.
    Again, that is not a bad thing, but I just feel it more convenient to have the features I need and use baked in.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-06-17 01:30 PM
    What do you need from a phone?
    Try all 3 of them yourself and decide.
    Simple, no?
    What? Buy 3 phones, then return 2? Not so simple to me.
    02-06-17 03:48 PM
    Why should I choose a BlackBerry over Android, Windows and iPhone?
    BlackBerry users are very unique individuals and must prove their worthiness before being allowed to purchase products.
    Once given permission to do so , you must promise to buy a second device within 6 months.
    ( One device must have a physical keyboard )

Also to continue being a member of CrackBerry it is mandatory to own a BlackBerry device !
    Follow the link at the bottom of the page , where you will be asked to input relevant info about your BlackBerry .

Please note , while filling any form on this site :
    You must be using one hand only , while holding the other hand slightly over head and rotating in circular motion .
    ( clockwise direction )
    At the same time , raise the opposite leg slightly and rotate in counterclockwise direction .

You may also be required to make a sacrifice to " Lord Bla1ze "
    Usually burning one of those other unBlackBerry devices will do.
    ( I hear Samsungs burn nicely )

Aw , just having a little fun ! !
    Bottom line , most of us like our BB's .
    ( There is a wide range available )
    You would have to narrow your questions to a particular model .

Welcome to CB and good luck with your quest !
    02-06-17 04:44 PM
    Why should I choose a BlackBerry over Android, Windows and iPhone?
    Since you mentioned Android, I take it that you meant why one should get an OS 10 phone? Well, if you aren't app dependent and just want a phone that delivers the ultimate QWERTY experience in a unique ecosystem, then that could be a reason to choose an OS 10 phone over the others mentioned. Mind you though, just don't expect anything revolutionary to come it.
    02-06-17 04:59 PM
    Only reason I liked my Passport vs my Android phones was the PKB. Take away the PKB, such as in my Z30 and Z10, and I really had no reason to stick with BB10.

The PKB with the capacitive touch, physical key shortcuts, tactile feedback from the keys and instant search ability were the benefits. Now using a Priv, it's more like an inbetween device. The slider mechanism is a bit inconvenient. Tactile feedback is very lacking on the Priv too.

Where's my Mercury?
    02-06-17 06:14 PM
    So I just read somewhere that BlackBerry Hub update got black theme for the hub and the caption they wrote is ' since long BlackBerry android users been asking for black theme so we proudly present it' what a hypocrite !! We bb10 users been asking for black hub but they didn't get it done but black hub for android,

Great going BlackBerry, you are truly committed to bb10.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 11:55 AM
35 12