Many repeated issues downloading BlackBerry Link. Deleted all older versions of it. Retstarted computer. Still unable to download Link
    02-15-18 08:10 PM
    Many repeated issues downloading BlackBerry Link. Deleted all older versions of it. Retstarted computer. Still unable to download Link
    Use Ultimate Backup.

But really, in 2018 everything should be backed up to the cloud.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-15-18 10:10 PM
    Why? Why everything should be in the cloud? What is wrong with local backup that is available no matter what?
    02-16-18 12:19 AM
    Why? Why everything should be in the cloud? What is wrong with local backup that is available no matter what?
    Things can go wrong.

A backup can get corrupted, or may not be up to date, or may not be readily available.
    02-16-18 06:32 AM
    Things can go wrong.

A backup can get corrupted, or may not be up to date, or may not be readily available.
    You have not answered my question. What is wrong with a local backup that is available an any time as opposed to the one in the cloud? Not to mention the privacy aspect.
    As for the OP: ultimate backup and xbac are rather good options.
    02-16-18 01:13 PM
    Things can go wrong.
    "Things" can go wrong with any backup, even the cloud. Nothing is infallible. I like both options.
    02-16-18 01:19 PM
    Use Ultimate Backup.

But really, in 2018 everything should be backed up to the cloud.
    OMG no.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-18 01:22 PM
    "Things" can go wrong with any backup, even the cloud. Nothing is infallible. I like both options.
    The chances of your cloud solution failing at precisely the same time as your local device is vanishingly low.
    02-16-18 01:23 PM
    You have not answered my question. What is wrong with a local backup that is available an any time as opposed to the one in the cloud? Not to mention the privacy aspect.
    As for the OP: ultimate backup and xbac are rather good options.
    The uptime and/or resiliency of a local backup is orders of magnitude less than that of OneDrive say. Use strong passwords, and the data is perfectly safe.
    Last edited by conite; 02-16-18 at 01:37 PM.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-16-18 01:25 PM
    The chances of your cloud solution failing at precisely the same time as your local device is vanishingly low.
    Agreed, but I don't trust any important data that I have to ONLY one backup solution. There are cloud failures all the time. Most of these would not affect the average user but IMHO it is foolish to absolutely depend on a cloud solution only https://www.crn.com/slide-shows/clou...r.htm/pgno/0/1 . YMMV but no matter how you twist your reasoning for a cloud only, you will never convince me that it's ok to trust that solution only. I have 3 backups for certain things: Dropbox, my own personal Cloud (WD Mycloud) and a usb hard-drive storage not at my home.
    02-16-18 01:37 PM
    Agreed, but I don't trust any important data that I have to ONLY one backup solution. There are cloud failures all the time. Most of these would not affect the average user but IMHO it is foolish to absolutely depend on a cloud solution only https://www.crn.com/slide-shows/clou...r.htm/pgno/0/1 . YMMV but no matter how you twist your reasoning for a cloud only, you will never convince me that it's ok to trust that solution only. I have 3 backups for certain things: Dropbox, my own personal Cloud (WD Mycloud) and a usb hard-drive storage not at my home.
    I also sync to my fully redundant, off-site Synology NAS as well. I still consider that cloud storage (just MY cloud storage) - as opposed to having to count on something like BlackBerry Link and the backup file it creates and usually muddles.
    02-16-18 01:40 PM
    as opposed to having to count on something like BlackBerry Link.
    lol---Link, we both agree is a joke!
    02-16-18 01:41 PM
    lol---Link, we both agree is a joke!
    I actually set my Synology up to automatically mirror all of my cloud solutions - DropBox, Box, and OneDrive.
    brookie229 likes this.
    02-16-18 01:43 PM
    With my Office 365 E3 account, all of my phone data (email, files, contacts, calendars, tasks notes, etc. Are always backed up securely and privately online. If I want a local copy I just copy/export from the Cloud to local. I have not had problems using Link, but my way is easier and more reliable.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-16-18 01:43 PM
    With my Office 365 E3 account, all of my phone data (email, files, contacts, calendars, tasks notes, etc. Are always backed up securely and privately online. If I want a local copy I just copy/export from the Cloud to local. I have not had problems using Link, but my way is easier and more reliable.

In 2016 Office 365 accounts had cloud downtimes on two separate occasions with great inconvenience to users. I am adamant about having a local, easy to access backup as well as cloud.
    02-16-18 01:48 PM
    Depends, how redundant is your local backup?

Machines and drives can fail, but most cloud backups have their own redundancies.

There is nothing wrong with having backups saved to you PC, then to your NAS (with redundant drives), and to a Cloud based storage service.... many NAS have this feature built in.

In the end the one location that offered the best "protection" for your data, probable is the cloud.

What isn't much protection is the outdated software the came with BB10 phones.... LINK
    02-16-18 01:50 PM
    In 2016 Office 365 accounts had cloud downtimes on two separate occasions with great inconvenience to users. I am adamant about having a local, easy to access backup as well as cloud.
    Sure. But I'm saying I find it easier to backup and restore between the Cloud and the local backup, and simply sync my phone with the Cloud. I'd have to lose the use of my phone, my cloud services AND my local backup simultaneously to be inconvenienced. If I thought that was a risk, I could easily add as many redundant systems as I like. All I've done is eliminate the local-phone connection, which has been the least reliable of all.

brookie229 likes this.
    02-16-18 01:54 PM
    Sure. But I'm saying I find it easier to backup and restore between the Cloud and the local backup, and simply sync my phone with the Cloud. I'd have to lose the use of my phone, my cloud services AND my local backup simultaneously to be inconvenienced. If I thought that was a risk, I could easily add as many redundant systems as I like. All I've done is eliminate the local-phone connection, which has been the least reliable of all.

Yup, agreed-point being you do have a local backup. You perform that in a more techy way than I do, lol.
    02-16-18 02:00 PM
    Yup, agreed-point being you do have a local backup. You perform that in a more techy way than I do, lol.
    LOL. I just finally acknowledged to myself that the sync between my phone and my cloud services was so good and timely that I could just back up from the cloud instead of the "old way" with a USB cable and local software.

02-16-18 02:03 PM
    LOL. I just finally acknowledged to myself that the sync between my phone and my cloud services was so good and timely that I could just back up from the cloud instead of the "old way" with a USB cable and local software.

I'm not that advanced. I still have to physically see a backup that I create--just to make sure haha.

edit: I am super paranoid about not having a quickly available, complete backup ever since the day that a work server overheated and packed in the drive. Data that was NOT backed up properly. This cost my team and I about 5 days of work and many long hours of angst.
    02-16-18 02:05 PM
    Thanks for this. I have now purchased the Ultimate Backup App and it is currently backing up my Passport to OneDrive (5 hours in, and it is still chugging away...).

My only concern is that I still can't work out how I will be able to Restore the backup from OneDrive to my Passport (if necessary, as I am looking into doing an OS-Update or Wipe&OS-Update as my Passport is now running like a dog...).

The big problem is that I haven't been able to find the instructions for on the Ultimate Backup App on the Runisoft website - all I can find instructions for is the Backup My Phone App.

Apologies if I am just being more clueless than usual, but any help will be very gratefully received.
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 02-17-18 at 08:41 PM. Reason: unreadable highlighted text
    02-17-18 08:40 PM
    Thanks for this. I have now purchased the Ultimate Backup App and it is currently backing up my Passport to OneDrive (5 hours in, and it is still chugging away...).

My only concern is that I still can't work out how I will be able to Restore the backup from OneDrive to my Passport (if necessary, as I am looking into doing an OS-Update or Wipe&OS-Update as my Passport is now running like a dog...).

The big problem is that I haven't been able to find the instructions for on the Ultimate Backup App on the Runisoft website - all I can find instructions for is the Backup My Phone App.

Apologies if I am just being more clueless than usual, but any help will be very gratefully received.
    From the main screen in UB tap the overflow (3 horizontal lines) bottom left, tap Quick Restore, select your backup source from Restore From at top of screen (in your case OneDrive) and then check off which components you want to restore. Maybe just select one item at first as a trial such as SMS & MMS then click Start Restore at very bottom of the screen. When done, check your device to see if it worked--rinse and repeat with other data.

edit: your extra long backup is probably media (videos, photos etc) that seem to take forever to backup. They will eventually but sometimes it seems as if they will never finish.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-17-18 09:43 PM
    From the main screen in UB tap the overflow (3 horizontal lines) bottom left, tap Quick Restore, select your backup source from Restore From at top of screen (in your case OneDrive) and then check off which components you want to restore. Maybe just select one item at first as a trial such as SMS & MMS then click Start Restore at very bottom of the screen. When done, check your device to see if it worked--rinse and repeat with other data.

edit: your extra long backup is probably media (videos, photos etc) that seem to take forever to backup. They will eventually but sometimes it seems as if they will never finish.
    Many thanks for this - really appreciate your help.

Yep, the backup took about 9 hours, and the biggest issues were with some videos...

Now I just need to work out how to 'wipe & reload' the OS to try and get my Passport to work smoothly again! (And also to work out how long this will take, so that the phone is not 'out of commission' for too long).

Thanks again, Alex
    02-19-18 12:22 PM
    Many thanks for this - really appreciate your help.

Yep, the backup took about 9 hours, and the biggest issues were with some videos...

Now I just need to work out how to 'wipe & reload' the OS to try and get my Passport to work smoothly again! (And also to work out how long this will take, so that the phone is not 'out of commission' for too long).

Thanks again, Alex
    Best way is to use an autoloader. It only take 10-15 minutes to download (depending on your network speed, of course) and about 12-15 minutes to complete the autoloader process. Once that is done it will take you some time to re-do your email, BBID (remember your password is important) and other info. Finally, you will have to go to BBW and reinstall apps you want including, of course, Ultimate Backup. Then you can restore your info/data. You can find the latest OS 10.3.3.3057 in Thurask's Mega repository here: https://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-l...rchive-943672/

Steps are:

--from the link above click Download Link-Mega then click on BB10 File then 10.3.3 file, then 10.3.3.3057 file, then click on and download the 3rd file Passport 7z file (1.47 gb). Make sure you download this to your PC's desktop.

--once downloaded, unzip the file to give you the autoloader .exe file

--plug your Passport into your PC and click on the .exe file.

--it will take about 15 minutes for a new, fresh copy of the OS and your device will be wiped in the process.

--set up your email/BBID etc and restore.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-19-18 01:24 PM
    Best way is to use an autoloader. It only take 10-15 minutes to download (depending on your network speed, of course) and about 12-15 minutes to complete the autoloader process. Once that is done it will take you some time to re-do your email, BBID (remember your password is important) and other info. Finally, you will have to go to BBW and reinstall apps you want including, of course, Ultimate Backup. Then you can restore your info/data. You can find the latest OS 10.3.3.3057 in Thurask's Mega repository here: https://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-l...rchive-943672/

Steps are:

--from the link above click Download Link-Mega then click on BB10 File then 10.3.3 file, then 10.3.3.3057 file, then click on and download the 3rd file Passport 7z file (1.47 gb). Make sure you download this to your PC's desktop.

--once downloaded, unzip the file to give you the autoloader .exe file

--plug your Passport into your PC and click on the .exe file.

--it will take about 15 minutes for a new, fresh copy of the OS and your device will be wiped in the process.

--set up your email/BBID etc and restore.
    Many thanks (again!).

I now have a Passport that seems like it is Brand New (but with the benefit of most of my historic content being on the phone too).

A few pointers for other Passport owners who are looking to follow the excellent advice you gave me (see the quote above)...

To get the phone to work to work with my PC (Windows 10 Pro) to run the Autoloader:
    • I had to Remove all previous Blackberry software from my PC (Link, Blend, Drivers etc) and then just re-install the Drivers (ONLY the Drivers)
    • Re-boot the PC after every failed attempt to run the autoloader (I had many failed attempts)
    • Disable McAfee to get the Autoloader to work
    • Run the Autoloader as Administrator (eg Right Click, then Run As Administrator)
    • [If the Autoloader Screen on the PC flashes up and then disappears again, the Autoload has NOT started to run correctly]
    • When the Autoloader Screen on the PC stays open and whirs away, then you are cooking on gas!

I seem to have lost my historic BBM & WhatsApp content, but will be having another investigation to see if I can fix these issues.

Hope the above is of some help to some other Passport owner - now I have done the OS Wipe/Refresh, the phone is SO QUICK AGAIN!

Thanks again!

All the best, Alex
    brookie229 likes this.
    02-22-18 09:55 AM
27 12