I have a new Motion that I bought from Bell, along with a business plan from them. I remember hearing somewhere that when the move to Blandroid happened, data could go one of two places: Either Bell's servers or Blackberry's. By default, it would go to Bell, because that way they didn't have to pay Blackberry. (That's what I heard, and I could be wrong, hence the post.)
    Can anyone shed any light on this? I'd like to go through BBy if possible, is this for real in the first place, and how would I know the path?
    Thanks.
    05-30-18 11:07 AM
    What data are you even referring to? Everyday data usage would travel over Bell's network to reach its endpoint and you can't change it.
    05-30-18 12:10 PM
    As Bla1ze says, all data to and from your phone goes through your carrier no matter what phone you're using (unless you're on wi-fi). Your data plan is with your carrier, so it goes through your carrier. Plain and simple.

What used to happen on the old BBOS phones was that you needed a BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) plan, and that data would go from your phone to your carrier, then get a direct pipeline to the BlackBerry servers, then out to the internet destination and back again.

BB10 changed that. Only some stuff goes through the BlackBerry servers - mostly back-end phone services like BBID check, BlackBerry Messenger, BlackBerry World, and phone sensor calibration. It's no longer a separate data plan, but it still goes through your carrier first. All other data just heads straight to its internet destination after going through the carrier.

With android, the BlackBerry servers are pretty much completely out of the loop. Pretty sure that only the Hub Services is the only thing that really communicates to the BB Servers, and then only for updates to the apps. There may be a few other things, but regular data just goes from the phone to your carrier and then out to the world and back again.
    05-30-18 02:05 PM
    You could setup a BES Server and pay for BES Licensing.... if you are a really, really smart IT person with lot of money.

The way a BlackBerry uses data, isn't different from how any other Android does... The security difference (what they are) are meant to secure your device and the data on it, but not the data you send and receive.
    05-30-18 03:00 PM
    Thanks Dunt3...that answers my question. So in essence, a BBy is no more secure than any other Blandroid phone out there. At this point, I guess I'm wondering...why Blackberry any more? The phones aren't made in Canada, the data goes through any schnook off the street, and it's now down to Blandroid and Crapple.
    This sucks.
    05-30-18 08:12 PM
    Thanks Dunt3...that answers my question. So in essence, a BBy is no more secure than any other Blandroid phone out there. At this point, I guess I'm wondering...why Blackberry any more? The phones aren't made in Canada, the data goes through any schnook off the street, and it's now down to Blandroid and Crapple.
    This sucks.
    Why would you want your data to go "through" any middle man?

BlackBerry Android at least offers a central place to monitor and control your app permissions, and has integrity detection to monitor changes to your system files.
    05-30-18 08:36 PM
    This sucks.
    PKB is the only unique reason to get a BlackBerry licensed device. BBAndroid does give a more “BB” experience than regular Android.
    05-31-18 07:11 AM
    This sucks.
    I'm not saying it is no more secure.... there are differences. Big one is it hasn't been rooted - for whatever that really means for YOUR security. But the difference between KNOX and iOS... not even BlackBerry wants to go there.

What was different about how BB10 sent it's data out? Nothing.

There were some differences with BBOS and BIS, but in general your data was only secure between your phone and BlackBerry's servers... it had to be exposed after that point.

For enterprise at least, BES offered a way to keep things "internal" within the corporate network. That's really always what gave BlackBerry it's Security.
    05-31-18 07:33 AM
    BIS compressed the data between the phone and the BlackBerry NOCs. But it wasn't encrypted. It still went through the carrier first no matter what, and always has. Otherwise, how else could they keep track of how much of your allotted data you used each month?

BES added encryption. It also usually changed the path of your data to the BES server at your work where your corporate email was usually hosted as well. That's where the security came from. The corporate BES controlled what you could do or access with your phone. I'm not sure anything went to BlackBerry while on the old corporate run BES. Still ran through your carrier along the way, but at least it was encrypted. Again, that was the BBOS days and a lot of that has changed with BB10 in recent years.
    05-31-18 09:13 AM
    I DON'T want my data going through a middleman....that's the point. It used to be BBy, and that was it. Now, it's Bell/whoever and Bby, andsoon, it won't be BBy at all.
    05-31-18 11:36 AM
    Yes, it's always a trade-off. Something is 'secure' only until someone finds out how to break it. At the time of its release, BBy was the most secure thing going. As you say, its only secure now because no one has rooted it, and that may be kinda the same thing as OSX viruses...until recently, there were very few because the market penetration wasn't deep enough for anyone to be interested in creating an Apple virus. Then the web happened and...oh my.
    05-31-18 11:44 AM
    I DON'T want my data going through a middleman....that's the point. It used to be BBy, and that was it. Now, it's Bell/whoever and Bby, andsoon, it won't be BBy at all.
    Umm... no... it ALWAYS went through your carrier first. Whatever name was on the SIM card you stuck into the phone, that's where it goes first. Read my posts above again.

Your carrier is the one you bought the data plan from.

They are the ones who provisioned the phone for calls and data. They get everything you do first.

Going back to the days when the BlackBerry was just a RIM pager, it all still went through your carrier.
    05-31-18 12:37 PM
    Which data...

BlackBerry was only a middle man (and a bottle neck), but the need for that technology ended long ago. Even with BlackBerry most of your data had to eventually go somewhere and through many other middle men.

No there is no need for BlackBerry to be involved anymore. Most any VPN and UEM can handle securing data "in house". But ones you send emails or request out... then it's out.
    05-31-18 02:54 PM