I'm using a KeyOne running Android 8.1.0 (Oreo) with latest patch (ABP306). I am trying to update F-droid, which is not available via Google Play. However, I cannot find the slider that allows you to download/install apps from "unknown" (i.e. non-Play) sources.

Does anyone know where this has got to on the KeyOne?

Thanks in advance.
    02-06-19 09:02 AM
    I'm using a KeyOne running Android 8.1.0 (Oreo) with latest patch (ABP306). I am trying to update F-droid, which is not available via Google Play. However, I cannot find the slider that allows you to download/install apps from "unknown" (i.e. non-Play) sources.

Does anyone know where this has got to on the KeyOne?

Thanks in advance.
    It doesn't exist on Oreo.

You have to grant a particular app the permission to install unknown apks.
    02-06-19 09:03 AM
    Ah, thanks for the answer.

I found the list of apps with "special access" (settings -> apps & notifications -> special access -> install unknown apps).

How do I add an app to that list?
    02-06-19 09:09 AM
    Ah, thanks for the answer.

I found the list of apps with "special access" (settings -> apps & notifications -> special access -> install unknown apps).

How do I add an app to that list?
    OK, I got it. For those that come after me:

You have to go inside to Apps & Notifications, then open the app of interest (e.g. F-droid) from the "recently opened apps" list.

Once open there, go to "permissions". In the case of F-droid, you need to give it access to storage, so it can download apps and updates.

Note that the above adds F-droid to the " special access" list, for storage, anyway.

Once you do that, F-droid acts like Google Play. That is, you can check via F-droid for updates, and download/install them as expected. I guess all it needed was the storage special permission.
    Vladislavt likes this.
    02-06-19 09:38 AM
    OK, I got it. For those that come after me:

You have to go inside to Apps & Notifications, then open the app of interest (e.g. F-droid) from the "recently opened apps" list.

Once open there, go to "permissions". In the case of F-droid, you need to give it access to storage, so it can download apps and updates.

Note that the above adds F-droid to the " special access" list, for storage, anyway.

Once you do that, F-droid acts like Google Play. That is, you can check via F-droid for updates, and download/install them as expected. I guess all it needed was the storage special permission.
    It also adds it to the "install unknown apps" list.
    02-06-19 09:40 AM
    Thanks for posting the solution for others to use...
    02-06-19 02:14 PM