Hi to all BB users, I got my first BlackBerry Classic device in spring this year and I was disappointed to find that WhatsApp will no longer be supported at year end.

I was wondering since WhatsApp will not available through the BB World, do you think it will still function as per normal if it was installed it as an APK file via Google Play? I hope to hear from you guys.

Cheers
    08-13-16 10:25 PM
    According to this page:

https://www.whatsapp.com/android/

WhatsApp supports Android runtime 2.1 and higher. There are many versions between 2.1 and 4.3.

I think it will be a very long time before WhatsApp stops supporting 4.3. Years, I predict.

Unless WhatsApp deliberately does something to the Android version of their app, to stop it from running on BB10, we will be able to use android WhatsApp on BB10 for a very long time. The Hub integration will be missed, but at least there is the android version workaround.
    Hi to all BB users, I got my first BlackBerry Classic device in spring this year and I was disappointed to find that WhatsApp will no longer be supported at year end.

I was wondering since WhatsApp will not available through the BB World, do you think it will still function as per normal if it was installed it as an APK file via Google Play? I hope to hear from you guys.

Cheers
    As long as they support android 4.3, it will run on your device with some glitches. Those can be solved with some available apps. But once they decide not to support android 4.3, you are out of luck.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 10:32 PM
    Android 4.3 won't be supported after 2016 if I'm not mistaken.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2813
    08-13-16 10:40 PM
    Android 4.3 won't be supported after 2016 if I'm not mistaken.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2813
    You are mistaken.

PRIV STV100-1/AAF960 DTEK50 STH100-1/AAG053 Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.746
    RK Styles and raino like this.
    08-13-16 10:43 PM

Cheers
    It is almost 5 months until you have to abandon the native app. A lot can happen in that time. There isn't much point to fuss about it now.

PRIV STV100-1/AAF960 DTEK50 STH100-1/AAG053 Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.746
    RK Styles likes this.
    08-13-16 10:46 PM
    Unfortunately it was the last straw for me. While not a heavy user of the app, it's what everyone who is messaging me uses including for work.
    It's also a clear sign of what's to come.
    Classic is a great device, but I'm moving on.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 11:19 PM
    Hi Fastmarc (I was the one that asked about WhatsApp for 2017 on), I just find it a pity because I have always admired their OS but I guess we have to move on eventually. WhatsApp is also a heavily reliant app from where I come from and I think it will be a stupid move if I got rid of WhatsApp instead of the device hahah. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
    08-14-16 01:29 AM
    Hi Styles, I think that is fantastic news haha, meaning I can still keep the device. However, I do have a feeling that the APK will not be integrated into the Hub I suppose?
    08-14-16 01:31 AM
    Hi Styles, I think that is fantastic news haha, meaning I can still keep the device. However, I do have a feeling that the APK will not be integrated into the Hub I suppose?
    You are right, the android version is not integrated into hub. Though you will get a notification regarding some activity, but no proper integration. Enough to juice out some months or probably even a year out of the device. Seeing the above 17% market share of devices of 4.3 or older(read the statistics from a source I don't remember), I do think the support for android 4.3 is not going to be discontinued for a while.
    So wait for 31st December, then only we can say anything for sure.

Posted via CB10
    marvinbih likes this.
    08-14-16 01:45 AM
    It's more thank likely that the support for the android 4.3 version will no longer be supported but I have been using the android one normally and it works just fine except there is no proper Hub notification. It just has a notification saying whatsapp

Posted via CB10
    08-14-16 02:18 AM
    It's more thank likely that the support for the android 4.3 version will no longer be supported but I have been using the android one normally and it works just fine except there is no proper Hub notification. It just has a notification saying whatsapp

Posted via CB10
    I do think whatsapp will keep the support for earlier versions of Android. A fair share of Android device in hands is too old, even I do have an android device 2.3.3 working fine with whatsapp installed without any account registered. If you want the figures, then go to Google uncle. I got a link, you may look if you pls, http://www.droid-life.com/tag/distribution/ . If clearly states that about 25% android devices in hand are below 4.4 version. I assume the team there on whatsapp is not stup!d enough to lose that fair share.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-16 02:57 AM
    According to this page:

https://www.whatsapp.com/android/

WhatsApp supports Android runtime 2.1 and higher. There are many versions between 2.1 and 4.3.

I think it will be a very long time before WhatsApp stops supporting 4.3. Years, I predict.

Unless WhatsApp deliberately does something to the Android version of their app, to stop it from running on BB10, we will be able to use android WhatsApp on BB10 for a very long time. The Hub integration will be missed, but at least there is the android version workaround.
    RK Styles likes this.
    08-14-16 03:48 AM
    I've downloaded the Whatsapp from play store but the it's stuck at the "looking for backup " screen anyone got it to load successfully?

Posted via CB10
    08-27-16 10:20 AM
    Don't worry all..neumory studio is going to launch alternative whatsapp client

BlackBerry addicted
    08-27-16 11:07 AM
    Don't worry all..neumory studio is going to launch alternative whatsapp client

BlackBerry addicted
    Based on his app history that's not necessarily something to look towards.

Posted via CB10
    goku_vegeta and ZoeP77 like this.
    08-27-16 11:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    Furthermore, I think whatsapp API is not public, so how could he develop it?

Posted via CB10
    08-27-16 12:10 PM
    Furthermore, I think whatsapp API is not public, so how could he develop it?

Posted via CB10
    He can't. Not legally anyway. Although that hasn't stopped him in the past.
    goku_vegeta and ZoeP77 like this.
    08-27-16 12:42 PM
    He can't. Not legally anyway. Although that hasn't stopped him in the past.
    I think legality doesn't even matter here. If he doesn't have the API, he shouldn't be able to do it anyway. Anyway, lets see the $3 WhatsUP.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-16 12:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Ouch! Nothing hurts more than the truth!
    08-27-16 12:51 PM
    I think legality doesn't even matter here. If he doesn't have the API, he shouldn't be able to do it anyway. Anyway, lets see the $3 WhatsUP.

Posted via CB10
    You don't actually need public APIs. You can reverse engineer the app and work with the proprietary ones.
    08-27-16 12:51 PM
    Oh. Thanks for that. Didn't know that. If that is the case, anyone can bet he's gonna get his hands on it, and grab those $3.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-16 01:08 PM