Hello all,
    About the 10.3.3 build 1435 update on my Z10 STL100-2, here's what i have to share.
    It was an update that went smooth as the latest's ones.
    After it has rebooted, everything is working as usual.
    First downside i've notice is some contacts missing.... and i'm guessing, i wondering recover them...
    I'm mad, cause i don’t know what contacts are missing.... so far i found 1 contact missing . But i guess there's more....
    I'm sure i'll find out what other things arent'n working.
    After allmost 10 years using BlackBerry devices, i guess it's time to switch to a new brand.

It's sad, because i liked very much the BlackBerry devices, despite all the lack of supported apps....
    That's OK if you'd been around lately you know, Q10, Z30, Classic, Leap, Passport, then PRIV and DTEK were the last devices and BB left the hardware business. Meanwhile, they licensed the brand and BBMo is on the KEYone and Motion.

I don't think at this point either BB or BBMo cares if you move on to another brand. They closed the store down waiting for you to spend any money and the storekeeper died from old age.....
    10-26-17 04:19 PM
    I'll start a different thread if necessary but it seems best to just post within this one.

I finally decided to upgrade the night before last despite the many issues shared from others. Things went fairly well in my case except all the content of my SMS Messages was lost. All messages appeared to be there but once you enter the actual threads they were blank. Not a big deal but definitely a hiccup.

The main issue I have noticed is the amount of space the 'System' is using after the update. I wish I would have looked before the update to compare but I'm fairly certain it was around 4GB.. It's now hovering between 7 and 7.25GB (screenshot attached).

Any other Classic users care to share their storage numbers?

Also, is there a list of the components that we can safely remove using Sachesi? Obviously I don't want to blindly remove bar files but I know there are plenty of 'tinkerers' here and I'd image lots of information on what's safe to remove (if not needed).

Thank you.

-b.
    Attached Thumbnails What are the known issues with the 10.3.3 update?-bb_classic_storage_usage.png  
    10-28-17 05:04 AM
    _bryanB, I have two questions. 1st, did installing the update delete ALL of your text & SMS's? 2nd, how did you create the pie chart showing the (I agree) huge increase in size that the OS now takes up?

So assuming I can spare the extra space for the OS and am willing to risk losing all of the stored texts I keep for reference, now that you've had a week or so to try it out, what's your impression? Most importantly, have you noticed ANY difference or improvement that makes it worth the effort to update?

Anyone else have an opinion pro or con regarding the update?

Thanks!

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    11-10-17 05:01 PM
    I'll start a different thread if necessary but it seems best to just post within this one.

I finally decided to upgrade the night before last despite the many issues shared from others. Things went fairly well in my case except all the content of my SMS Messages was lost. All messages appeared to be there but once you enter the actual threads they were blank. Not a big deal but definitely a hiccup.

The main issue I have noticed is the amount of space the 'System' is using after the update. I wish I would have looked before the update to compare but I'm fairly certain it was around 4GB.. It's now hovering between 7 and 7.25GB (screenshot attached).

Any other Classic users care to share their storage numbers?

Also, is there a list of the components that we can safely remove using Sachesi? Obviously I don't want to blindly remove bar files but I know there are plenty of 'tinkerers' here and I'd image lots of information on what's safe to remove (if not needed).

Thank you.

-b.
    System size should lie between 3 and 5GB. If you have more than that, particularly after doing an update, then something went wrong. You will have to use an autoloader to clean it up.
    11-10-17 05:17 PM
    Anyone else have an opinion pro or con regarding the update?

Thanks!

The update being discussed in this thread (10.3.3.2205) is almost a year old. The one from July that went live a couple of weeks ago is 10.3.3.3057.

Are you asking about the former, or the latter? What are you on now?
    11-10-17 05:20 PM
    Sorry, I was asking about the recent one. I'm currently running 10.3.2.556, and since I use AT&T when I use the "check for updates" it just spins but won't say there's a new one or not! Either way I wanted to see if the new one was able to fix any of the issues that my Q10 keeps having...

11-10-17 08:39 PM
    Sorry, I was asking about the recent one. I'm currently running 10.3.2.556, and since I use AT&T when I use the "check for updates" it just spins but won't say there's a new one or not! Either way I wanted to see if the new one was able to fix any of the issues that my Q10 keeps having...

Oddly enough, AT&T currently offers 10.3.3.2205 to the Q10 (SQN100-1). Any chance you have another Q10 variant that you brought over to AT&T?

You are actually on OS 10.3.2.858 (SR556) that goes back to June of 2015. Plenty of bugs have been squashed since then.

Running an autoloader that wipes your device is the best way for a clean update. You can use Ultimate Backup first to backup your contacts, messages (including SMS), media, etc. Do NOT use BlackBerry Link.

Here is the autoloader:

https://mega.nz/#!YNJ1HYgT!WXoPDmuti...ZFKaaDpHw8sNSM

Download to PC, unzip it, plug in phone, run autoloader. Done.
    11-10-17 10:26 PM
    I'm guessing that the ultimate backup is on BlackBerry World? Up to now I've always used link to store all my settings, calendar with the office 2007 on my pc. Does this program play nicely with the stand alone M$ Outlook? I'm guessing that it's not a free program. So if I use it, since I paid will they respect my privacy and not upload my data into the cloud?
    Out of curiosity, what's wrong with link? I managed to use it for all my previous updates, and to restore after doing factory reset. Best of all I didn't need to use any cloud services. Still would 've kept basic things straight.

11-11-17 02:57 AM
    I'm guessing that the ultimate backup is on BlackBerry World? Up to now I've always used link to store all my settings, calendar with the office 2007 on my pc. Does this program play nicely with the stand alone M$ Outlook? I'm guessing that it's not a free program. So if I use it, since I paid will they respect my privacy and not upload my data into the cloud?
    Out of curiosity, what's wrong with link? I managed to use it for all my previous updates, and to restore after doing factory reset. Best of all I didn't need to use any cloud services. Still would 've kept basic things straight.

Link defeats the purpose of a clean install, as it puts corrupted settings right back on the device.

It has also become temperamental, as it doesn't play nice with Windows 10 or 10.3.3. It's effectively an EOL product that hasn't been updated in ages.

But use it if you must. But I would use both in case Link won't connect with your device once it's been updated.
    11-11-17 07:29 AM

We're having similar issues with one of our devices, and similar concerns regarding backup methods. Get to spend the weekend trying to figure it all out, haha. Let me know if you find a solution you like.

Best I can tell is that Conite is absolutely right and Link just doesn't play well with 10.3.3. Using Autoloaders isn't approved for our company because they come from an untrusted third party, so I have to figure out an alternative way to reliably create backups without the cloud OR find a way to downgrade to OS10.3.2.xxxx using software straight from BlackBerry so that we can then use Link. From what I understand, I can build my own autoloader, but I have absolutely zero idea on how to do that. Haha....what a mess....its gotten almost impossible to keep your own data on your own devices these days.

Let me know if you find anything good!

As an aside, does anyone know if there were any updates to the Browser Certificates on 10.3.3 since 10.3.2? It's beginning to be a problem for some of our people who frequently do research on their device.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-17 02:40 PM
    As an aside, does anyone know if there were any updates to the Browser Certificates on 10.3.3
    Yes, there have been some certificate fixes and other minor tweaks but the browser is still VERY much showing it's age.

As for backups, you probably should look into a paid app in BBW such as Ultimate Backup. No one seems to be able to understand the Link problems. Many can't get it to work at all but there are others (me included) that still use it regularly with no problems.
    11-11-17 03:01 PM
    Yes, there have been some certificate fixes and other minor tweaks but the browser is still VERY much showing it's age.

As for backups, you probably should look into a paid app in BBW such as Ultimate Backup. No one seems to be able to understand the Link problems. Many can't get it to work at all but there are others (me included) that still use it regularly with no problems.
    Thanks! We are exploring Ultimate Backup, but one of the issues we're running into is that it doesn't backup settings which is one of our main concerns.....but we might use it for some other back up functions.

One thing we still need clarification on is if it will keep the data local? We need to be 100% certain there isn't any leakage anywhere....

Are you aware of any other choices we can explore? Cost really isn't the driver for us. It's function.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-17 03:13 PM
    One thing we still need clarification on is if it will keep the data local?
    Yes it will. You can backup and store to any physically (OTG) connected drive or internal SD. You are correct in saying that it will not backup settings. That is one feature that Link could do and these apps will not do. Sorry, I know of no other method to reliably accomplish your backups other than the Sachesi software which you can check out. It uses the same .bbb format as Link.
    11-11-17 04:04 PM
    Yes it will. You can backup and store to any physically (OTG) connected drive or internal SD. You are correct in saying that it will not backup settings. That is one feature that Link could do and these apps will not do. Sorry, I know of no other method to reliably accomplish your backups other than the Sachesi software which you can check out. It uses the same .bbb format as Link.
    Thanks. I used Sachsei years ago....but haven't touched it in a long time. Will it do a reliable backup?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-17 04:12 PM
    Will it do a reliable backup?
    I'm sorry but I cannot answer that. Have only used it ONE time and that was ages ago. There have been at least 2 new versions of it since I tried it. Note also, however, that it is no longer supported either. All you can do is experiment with it to see.
    11-11-17 04:19 PM
    Using Autoloaders isn't approved for our company because they come from an untrusted third party
    The source of the autoloader is completely irrelevant, as it can only contain software signed by BlackBerry. Your BB10 device will also only accept authentic, signed BlackBerry software because of root of trust.

There is absolutely nothing to fear with autoloaders. You can find one on a USB stick in a dumpster behind a strip club in BangKok, and it would be perfectly safe. Although I'd wash my hands.
    brookie229 and CrackNutRun like this.
    11-11-17 04:43 PM
    There is absolutely nothing to fear with autoloaders. You can find one on a USB stick in a dumpster behind a strip club in BangKok, and it would be perfectly safe. Although I'd wash my hands.
    Hahahahah--luv this!
    11-11-17 05:05 PM
    The source of the autoloader is completely irrelevant, as it can only contain software signed by BlackBerry. Your BB10 device will also only accept authentic, signed BlackBerry software because of root of trust.

Haha, great imagery. I get it, and have used them personally before, but company policy sees it differently. We're required to know exactly where the software came from, and it's supposed to be a trusted source.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-17 05:12 PM
    Haha, great imagery. I get it, and have used them personally before, but company policy sees it differently. We're required to know exactly where the software came from, and it's supposed to be a trusted source.

Posted via CB10
    Can you not build it yourself from a direct download from the BlackBerry server then?
    11-11-17 05:17 PM
    Can you not build it yourself from a direct download from the BlackBerry server then?
    Haha, well......there's really two questions in there:

1.) In a word, yes, I think that would be allowed as long as all software was verifiably sourced from BlackBerry.

2.) No, because I have absolutely zero idea on how to actually build something like that. I'm a fairly quick study, but....

Posted via CB10
    11-11-17 06:25 PM
    Is it hard to do?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-17 08:34 PM
    Is it hard to do?

Posted via CB10
    It's possible to build an autoloader with just a Dev Alpha autoloader (from blackberry.com) and a hex editor/some way to extract a chunk of a binary file (Python, etc). OS files can be sourced from BB Link, but that can only bring down the files that are "latest" for a given phone, but downloading from a *.blackberry.com URL should be kosher.
    11-11-17 08:41 PM
    It's possible to build an autoloader with just a Dev Alpha autoloader (from blackberry.com) and a hex editor/some way to extract a chunk of a binary file (Python, etc). OS files can be sourced from BB Link, but that can only bring down the files that are "latest" for a given phone, but downloading from a *.blackberry.com URL should be kosher.
    Might be beyond my skill set....I've used autoloaders, but never built one.

I'm familiar with the LINK issue, we're trying to role back to 10.3.2.2876 which is why we need the autoloader.

Is the Dev Alpha Autoloader the same as what I see on the CB forums?

How much knowledge would be required to get it right?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-17 08:55 PM
    Might be beyond my skill set....I've used autoloaders, but never built one.

I'm familiar with the LINK issue, we're trying to role back to 10.3.2.2876 which is why we need the autoloader.

Is the Dev Alpha Autoloader the same as what I see on the CB forums?

How much knowledge would be required to get it right?

Posted via CB10
    It shouldn't need much, maybe a little scripting if hex editors are forbidden.

1) Download one of the 10.3.3.498 autoloaders from the BlackBerry Dev Alpha site: https://developer.blackberry.com/bla...ha_update.html
    2) Somehow (hex editor, script, etc), copy the first 9,252,412 bytes to another file and save that as cap.exe. Because of how BB packages its BB10/PlayBook autoloaders, the beginning of any file is a copy of their command-line auto programmer (CAP) tool, i.e. what packages signed files into autoloaders.
    3) Download the right debrick and radio files (which all originate from cdn.fs.sl.blackberry.com URLs) from whichever thread has the OS version you want. I could give the URL derivation method if needed.
    4) Rename them each from .bar to .zip, extract, and put the .signed files from each extracted file in the same folder as the cap.exe you already extracted.
    5) In a command prompt in the same folder as cap.exe and the signed files, run "cap.exe create name_of_debrick.signed name_of_radio.signed autoloader_name.exe"

Then you will get autoloader_name.exe, an autoloader 99.9% identical to whatever gets put up in forums, but without requiring any programs of unknown provenance.
    11-11-17 09:03 PM
    Upgraded a Passport and a Z10. Passport works fine, Z10 gone: apps barely loads, often freezes and rebooting doesnt fix it. I kept my Classic with 10.2.
    11-12-17 08:25 AM
58 123