Now we face the situation when Blackberry is slowly becoming what we hated so much time before, android and now using Google clouds. So what's next? Google banners on homescreens maybe? That could help them get out of their financial problems...

The latest news completely ruined my belief and trust and hope for BlackBerry.

https://crackberry.com/consumer-bbm-android-ios-and-windows-moving-premise-data-centers-canada-google-cloud-platform-asia

I don't know whether I'll be stupid by buying a handset and supporting all this BS they're doing right now or I'll help them and eventually in the future they'll realize they must have an IDENTITY and stick to their initial principles. So pissed off...

And then if no BlackBerry, no Samsung or iPhone then What? Maybe Nokia? They seem reliable...
    06-17-17 06:51 PM
    BlackBerry's financial future has very little to do with these phones. The revenue from these new phones will be trivial compared to BES and QNX Automotive, and even new things like Radar.

If you're talking about BlackBerry Mobile, which is a different company, then they are using Android, hardened by BlackBerry Ltd, because that the only viable choice for customers who want the BlackBerry brand and BlackBerry security on their phones.

BBM is yet a third company, separate from BlackBerry Ltd, and BlackBerry Mobile. They are moving their stuff to Google Asia because that's where most of their users likely are.
    06-17-17 06:56 PM
    Lost? It isn't your daddy's bb
    06-17-17 06:58 PM
    Maybe Nokia? They seem reliable...
    What, this Nokia?
    06-17-17 08:13 PM
    What, this Nokia?
    Lmao.....

To answer the thread title simply: a software company.

Posted with my  Classic
    06-18-17 12:52 AM
    I know it's a software company but as a brand, smartphone brand, what does it mean for today's market?

My idea is that they can't just first say they are bla bla bla how secure and then use Google cloud servers, you see what I mean?

They don't stick to their fundamental principles of security.
    06-18-17 05:59 PM
    I know it's a software company but as a brand, smartphone brand, what does it mean for today's market?

My idea is that they can't just first say they are bla bla bla how secure and then use Google cloud servers, you see what I mean?

nope not really....
    06-18-17 06:03 PM

Are you referring to bbm for android consumers (not business) being moved to google cloud servers?

Emtek has the contract licence for bbm android consumers, BlackBerry only looks after bb10 and business consumers.

I want to know if it's BlackBerry that still writes the bbm for android consumers.
    06-18-17 06:22 PM

What do you mean by "they"? There are now 3 different "they"'s:

1. BlackBerry, Ltd
    2. BlackBerry Mobile
    3. BBM (the company)

BBM makes their own decisions, and security is not their major selling point for the consumer version of BBM.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    06-18-17 06:39 PM
    (I know what you mean, but)
    Should we really care about the difference?
    It says BlackBerry, that means that we should be getting quality, privacy and security.

We are buying "BlackBerry", and I think we should not be fulled by their games (if so) of selling and buying licenses.
    I don't really care who owns what as long as it says BlackBerry. It's BlackBerry Ltd's job to make sure everyone who has their license or whatever rights to pursue BlackBerry Ltd's fundamental principles, ideas beliefs and so on and so far.

So getting back to BBM, it's BlackBerry Messenger, so it has "BlackBerry" in it and why should they use google cloud servers?! (this question is not addressed directly to you, in general I mean)

Also, why DTEK Security app needs my location permission? (I'm just exploring my KeyOne)

I have a lot of question marks, A LOT. And it's not that I'm picky, but it's that what they say doesn't match what they do.

I'm the one who bought everyone in my household BlackBerries and maybe this is why I feel a kind of responsibility when the brand I love kind of betrays it's principles.

I'm not against anyone who works under the "BlackBerry" "logo" to make money on me as long as I know that I get what I pay for. But so far I have a feeling that "Security" is more of a selling point of BlackBerry rather than an actual security we get. And I don't mean targeted attacks by hackers on specific smartphones, I mean simple data integrity at least...
    06-19-17 01:58 PM
    (I know what you mean, but)
    Should we really care about the difference?
    It says BlackBerry, that means that we should be getting quality, privacy and security.
    Well, the company fell on hard times, failed in the phone business, and now the brand is being used by 4-5 different companies. Each of them is free to make their own decisions within the parameters of the licensing. That's just how it is, whether we care about the distinction or not. It's the business reality, and BlackBerry Ltd is really fortunate to have Emtek willing to pay so much for licensing BBM.

So getting back to BBM, it's BlackBerry Messenger, so it has "BlackBerry" in it and why should they use google cloud servers?! (this question is not addressed directly to you, in general I mean)
    The thing is normal BBM is not particularly secure. It wasn't even when BB Ltd was running it. So I would argue that there is very little potential downside to using Google Cloud when you consider that the underlying service isn't even that secure to begin with.

On the other hand, there are more secure things than BBM running on Google Cloud already, including some banking services now. They have much higher security needs than consumer BBM and Google has done a great job of meeting those standards. Also, Google is no doubt quite a bit cheaper than running the service out of Canada. Most importantly, it runs in Asia which should mean much faster service for Asian users. Emtek is very focused on Indonesia, so running the service close the Indonesia makes a lot of sense.
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    06-19-17 02:28 PM
    I have a lot of question marks, A LOT. And it's not that I'm picky, but it's that what they say doesn't match what they do.

I'm the one who bought everyone in my household BlackBerries and maybe this is why I feel a kind of responsibility when the brand I love kind of betrays it's principles.
    It would seem that what you perceive as the "BlackBerry" brand is dead. If you think the principles you held dear are being betrayed, maybe it's just time to move on.
    06-19-17 03:24 PM
    Five years ago, RIM relied on smartphone-related revenues (phone sales, BIS fees, BES fees) for the vast majority of their revenues. Today, smart-phone related revenues are a very small part of BB's revenues (and continuing to shrink), so naturally BB's focus is mostly elsewhere. To the extent that BB was ever a consumer-focused company, they simply aren't that anymore.

Smartphones used to make BB many billions of dollars in revenue per year. BB literally isn't selling phones anymore - the only new phones that BB was directly responsible for are the few remaining in retailer's inventories - and the K1, almost 2 months after its official release, almost certainly hasn't sold more than 15,000 units worldwide - but let's call it 20,000 just to be safe. If BB negotiated a VERY high licensing fee of $10/device, then the K1 will have made $200,000 in gross revenues - almost enough to pay the costs of a single mid-level developer for a year.

Think about that for a minute, and you'll see why BB just isn't all that concerned about disappointing a few fans of their (former) smartphone line of business. If BB lost ALL of its licensees at the end of this year and had no revenues from new smartphones going forward... it would make virtually no difference to the company's bottom line whatsoever.

That's the reality of the situation.
    06-19-17 04:09 PM

All you have to do is put some aluminum foil in your hat and they can no longer track you.
    06-19-17 04:11 PM