Hi guys, I have a passport device for 3 years, and has a problem last few weeks.
    The mobile network is very low or no network at all. Is it a problem with antenna or what? I restarted (soft and hard) it, check with my provider and I don't know what now.
    Can somebody help me?
    12-05-19 12:36 PM
    Hi guys, I have a passport device for 3 years, and has a problem last few weeks.
    The mobile network is very low or no network at all. Is it a problem with antenna or what? I restarted (soft and hard) it, check with my provider and I don't know what now.
    Can somebody help me?
    It could be a multitude of things.

- Has your carrier recently changed their coverage?
    - What OS is your device currently on, and have you updated it recently?
    - When was the last time you did a factory reset on it or have you ever?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-05-19 02:52 PM
    The dreaded WiFi only :-(
    12-05-19 02:55 PM
    1. No. I live near the capital city, so it is covered well.
    2. I am currently on BB OS 10.3.3.2137. It has an automatic update, but I checked anyway.
    3. I did hard reset few days ago. It had a network for a while, but it doesn't anymore. Before that, I reset just once about a year ago.

If is a software issue, maybe I should back on BB OS 10.2 or something? If it is a hardware, can I change the antenna?
    12-05-19 03:06 PM
    2. I am currently on BB OS 10.3.3.2137. It has an automatic update, but I checked anyway.
    3. I did hard reset few days ago. It had a network for a while, but it doesn't anymore. Before that, I reset just once about a year ago.

If is a software issue, maybe I should back on BB OS 10.2 or something? If it is a hardware, can I change the antenna?
    If it's software, reloaded the OS back (I'd do 3216) should be fine.

There is an issue with some Passports where the loose the connection. It not repairable - at least not that I know of.
    12-05-19 03:20 PM
    I'll try your suggestion. Thanks, man. I hope it will work. But I doubt. It is probably hardware. I found that many passport users have the same problem.
    12-05-19 03:24 PM

If it's software, reloaded the OS back (I'd do 3216) should be fine.

There is an issue with some Passports where the loose the connection. It not repairable - at least not that I know of.
    When that happens, it’s known as the “WiFi only“ issue and you unfortunately buy a new phone. The passport continues to be a mini laptop wherever you have WiFi available.
    12-05-19 03:24 PM
    Can somebody help me?
    Does it still recognize the SIM card?
    12-05-19 03:28 PM
    That is what I was afraid so.
    12-05-19 03:29 PM
    Yes, no problem with that.
    12-05-19 03:30 PM
    Not verified by me but this is what I found during an internet search...

https://thecellguide.com/how-to-fix-...ssport-436/amp
    12-05-19 10:21 PM
    I found that too. I did it, and it is worked for few hours. Shame...
    12-06-19 01:21 AM
    I found that too. I did it, and it is worked for few hours. Shame...
    Some with the issue have intermittent service... like a connection is lose.
    12-06-19 08:25 AM
    Yes, exactly. Is antenna changeable for a BB passport? It is logical that the problem is with the antenna.
    12-06-19 08:34 AM
    Yes, exactly. Is antenna changeable for a BB passport? It is logical that the problem is with the antenna.
    It's more likely a burned out piece of motherboard circuitry. This is a rather common problem on the Passport.
    12-06-19 08:46 AM
    It's more likely a burned out piece of motherboard circuitry. This is a rather common problem on the Passport.
    The common fix is to simply purchase another Passport if that’s what you prefer. Supposedly this is caused by some overheating from running too many APKs instead of Native apps.

Is that the supposed cause or just urban legend conite?
    12-06-19 09:17 AM
    The common fix is to simply purchase another Passport if that’s what you prefer. Supposedly this is caused by some overheating from running too many APKs instead of Native apps.

Is that the supposed cause or just urban legend conite?
    There is a hot spot for sure on the motherboard, near the CPU at the top right corner of the device.

Anything that runs it hard can lead to problems - including browsing, gaming, and intensive Android apps.
    12-06-19 09:22 AM
    Some with the issue have intermittent service... like a connection is lose.
    But it's not... it's on the motherboard.

Fix is a new motherboard, which usually only comes with a new phone or someone selling components.
    12-06-19 09:49 AM
    There is a hot spot for sure on the motherboard, near the CPU at the top right corner of the device.

Anything that runs it hard can lead to problems - including browsing, gaming, and intensive Android apps.
    Yup the chip upper right hand corner will run very hot.
    12-06-19 06:54 PM
    I am fairly certain that I read somewhere that when this happens, one reason may be the SIM card reader; you replace this part and all's well again. Is that correct or not?
    12-07-19 09:34 AM
    I am fairly certain that I read somewhere that when this happens, one reason may be the SIM card reader; you replace this part and all's well again. Is that correct or not?
    Not entirely. That may be a solution for a different but similar problem. I brought this WiFi only issue up couple months ago which caused major disagreement about if really exists.

The consensus for several years has been this is problem that’s never been officially recognized at BlackBerry level. Overheating for whatever reason is the consensus of the WiFi only cause issue with the motherboard. I believe some have tried replacing SIM card reader with little success
    12-07-19 09:52 AM
    Not entirely. That may be a solution for a different but similar problem. I brought this WiFi only issue up couple months ago which caused major disagreement about if really exists.

The consensus for several years has been this is problem that’s never been officially recognized at BlackBerry level. Overheating for whatever reason is the consensus of the WiFi only cause issue with the motherboard. I believe some have tried replacing SIM card reader with little success
    So, in other words, network loss connection could either be a defect in the SIM card reader or the motherboard itself. If it's the card reader, it seems not complicated, but the motherboard? There are some service centers that claim they can repair any motherboard; is that possible you think?
    12-07-19 10:54 AM
    So, in other words, network loss connection could either be a defect in the SIM card reader or the motherboard itself. If it's the card reader, it seems not complicated, but the motherboard? There are some service centers that claim they can repair any motherboard; is that possible you think?
    Up to you and your budget in my opinion. How much just to buy another Passport at this point? Is that even worth it? We’re at stage with BB10 where how long will backend servers truly function? See original question...

It’s like any hobby you throw money at knowing you’re making irrational but fun decisions. For me, that’s Rum, Women and Song but different for others....
    12-07-19 10:59 AM
    Up to you and your budget in my opinion. How much just to buy another Passport at this point? Is that even worth it? We’re at stage with BB10 where how long will backend servers truly function? See original question...

It’s like any hobby you throw money at knowing you’re making irrational but fun decisions. For me, that’s Rum, Women and Song but different for others....
    Well yes, but you see, the thing is I am still very happy with both BB10 and my Passport SE...(actually very happy with my Passport OG as well). So, since it still does everything I actually would want from a smartphone and I still find BB10 to be miles ahead from Android/iOS in terms of OS, why not cover all angles in the unlikely scenario of a hardware problem?

It's also interesting to notice here that the SE at least, still goes strong price-wise, and if you are after a Grade A device, it's apt to cost more than $200.00. I guess repairing the motherboard (if it can be carried out) is less costly.

On the other hand, what you also said about this being an expensive hobby, is/could be true! I, for example, am thinking of buying the frame and complete LCD screen in order to get rid of scratches and make my device brand new. Is this rational? No, it isn't really, but like you said, it all depends on one's budget. And I still find this a better deal than buying an Android device, or even an Android Blackberry device, which is overpriced anyway. I mean, $600.00 for Key2??? On what grounds? Anyway, thank you for all the information!
    12-07-19 11:43 AM
    Well yes, but you see, the thing is I am still very happy with both BB10 and my Passport SE...(actually very happy with my Passport OG as well). So, since it still does everything I actually would want from a smartphone and I still find BB10 to be miles ahead from Android/iOS in terms of OS, why not cover all angles in the unlikely scenario of a hardware problem?

It's also interesting to notice here that the SE at least, still goes strong price-wise, and if you are after a Grade A device, it's apt to cost more than $200.00. I guess repairing the motherboard (if it can be carried out) is less costly.

On the other hand, what you also said about this being an expensive hobby, is/could be true! I, for example, am thinking of buying the frame and complete LCD screen in order to get rid of scratches and make my device brand new. Is this rational? No, it isn't really, but like you said, it all depends on one's budget. And I still find this a better deal than buying an Android device, or even an Android Blackberry device, which is overpriced anyway. I mean, $600.00 for Key2??? On what grounds? Anyway, thank you for all the information!
    I believe part of my point is missed. I’m referring to all things beyond your control.

All Passports ever manufactured are 4-5 years old today. A truly NIB still has risk issues at this age, such as the battery degradation from just sitting for the last five years. If the device was faulty to begin with and now just discovered upon opening. With used devices, you’re hoping the device won’t develop the WiFi only ailment or similar issues from the last user.

My reference to hobby is simply the unknown condition of five year old hardware. With regards to software and support, it’s that BlackBerry on the backend side promises nothing will be unplugged but let’s be realistic, nothing is being spent on any maintenance or repair of existing servers and such. Things will break and pulled from rotation. Something breaks or is damaged unexpectedly and support ends right then.

I’m enough of a hobbyist that I own 8 BB10 devices, one each model, but too much uncertainty for me to spend money on a possible brick. I’ve held off with the Key2 and Key2 LE for same reasons based on price. It’s not just about BB10 for me.
    12-07-19 12:08 PM
29 12