With all the brilliant minds creating browsers that supposedly block cookies and keep your browsing private, why is there nothing to show what cookies are already there.

I mean tell me that so-and-so put a cookie on my phone last week, it's a tracking type cookie, and would you like to get rid of it?

Is this not possible? Or would the author of such a thing get in trouble? Or does nobody care who's watching?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 04:43 PM
    Well, it depends on a few factors really, I did develop a browser for the Symbian platform, which of course had the features you mentioned (Turn cookies off/private browsing)

Now the way they are written to file and stored is probably why, mine stored all Cookies into one file called cookies.conf, it stored on the lines of
    nUIDR=*******
    expires=Day, date, time
    domain=****
    secure;
    HttpOnly;

They don't always actually specify any more information, which would be tricky to recognise which type of Cookie it actually is.

"I mean tell me that so-and-so put a cookie on my phone last week"

That could possibly be done, it would require a lot of file changes tracking which can be a heavy and resource crunching process, also BlackBerry10's security could even not all the App to do a operation like that.

Also, there are many types of ways Cookies can get onto your device, HTML5 Storage, WebView Local Cache, Flash Cache ect, it would be a nightmare trying to track every possible directory.
    04-03-15 04:58 PM
    Oh, that's too bad. I had hoped it might be possible since we could do it back in the good-ol-days. But then there were only one or two browsers. I didn't realize today's complex and rich environment made finding cookies that difficult.

I guess a restore to factory defaults once a week is the only way. Along the same lines though, are the so-called "private" browsers really that private? They all claim no cookies are kept but is this true?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 05:11 PM
    Wait a second. If the cookies are hidden all over the place and thus can't be found, does this mean that if I visit site "A" using the default browser, and then go back later with a different browser, the site thinks I'm a new user?

Perhaps if we only consider the default browser the cookies might be found? Might be changed? Might go from "2nd visit" status to "2-millionth visit" status?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 05:29 PM
    Oh, that's too bad. I had hoped it might be possible since we could do it back in the good-ol-days. But then there were only one or two browsers. I didn't realize today's complex and rich environment made finding cookies that difficult.

I guess a restore to factory defaults once a week is the only way. Along the same lines though, are the so-called "private" browsers really that private? They all claim no cookies are kept but is this true?

Posted via CB10
    Well, I can't speak for other developers, but I know my browser did wipe all traces of every Web Cache and Cookie when you Reset the App.

Wait a second. If the cookies are hidden all over the place and thus can't be found, does this mean that if I visit site "A" using the default browser, and then go back later with a different browser, the site thinks I'm a new user?

Perhaps if we only consider the default browser the cookies might be found? Might be changed? Might go from "2nd visit" status to "2-millionth visit" status?

Posted via CB10
    They can be found of course but a App monitoring them and actually telling you about a Cookie created last week would be a overkill on resources, every type of storage/cache has a file path whether it be hard coded or relative.

Technically speaking, if you visit site A with the BB browser then open it with another browser it should think you're a new user, that's only if they both use Separate Cookie Jars (where they are stored as temp when the app is open), I've no experience with the BB WebView but I think that would be the case.

But, then again, some websites can store your IP and cross check it when you load, like File Sharing websites.
    04-03-15 05:43 PM