Home CrackBerry Q&A > Ask a Question

what is cheapest plan for older blackberrys ? carrier? model bb?

Asked: Oct 12 2019 | 2:56 pm EDT 856 Views 4 Answers

I turned off my Q10 a few yrs ago because I rarely use a cell phone.
I recently decided to turn it back on and try to add a cheap carrier as I only make a handful of calls a month if that. I have no need for video, games, or even internet.
I just want a stream lined sleek device like a blackberry for phone calls and text.

I tried to set up a plan w tracphone and had my phone unlocked after going through hoops for hours to reach a human at customer service. Turns out tracfone does not support blackberry. Wish they told me that right away. Even if they did, the guy at Verizon store said that a Q10 has built in antennae and cannot be used w a sim card for a new carrier. He said the phone is made for Verizon and must remain a Verizon device.

I tried for 9900 & 9930 and was also told those MAY not work. He wasn't sure and said it depended on the carrier. I also cannot find a carrier that works w Blackberry.

Given that I want an older BB and a minimal phone plan can anyone recommend which phone (will a 9900 or 9930 work or not?)
And which carrier?
Someone suggested Twigby but they do not do BB.

Thanks

More Answers

Oct 12 2019 | 6:37 pm EDT conite

I recently decided to turn it back on and try to add a cheap carrier as I only make a handful of calls a month if that. I have no need for video, games, or even internet.
I just want a stream lined sleek device like a blackberry for phone calls and text.

I tried to set up a plan w tracphone and had my phone unlocked after going through hoops for hours to reach a human at customer service. Turns out tracfone does not support blackberry. Wish they told me that right away. Even if they did, the guy at Verizon store said that a Q10 has built in antennae and cannot be used w a sim card for a new carrier. He said the phone is made for Verizon and must remain a Verizon device.

I tried for 9900 & 9930 and was also told those MAY not work. He wasn't sure and said it depended on the carrier. I also cannot find a carrier that works w Blackberry.

Given that I want an older BB and a minimal phone plan can anyone recommend which phone (will a 9900 or 9930 work or not?)
And which carrier?

Thanks
The 9930 is for Verizon, but they won't activate a CDMA-only device anymore.

The 9900 is for all of the other GSM carriers.

Two issues: the carrier needs to offer the legacy/old BlackBerry BIS plan, and you also have to keep in mind that carriers are re-farming GSM frequencies to LTE - so coverage will only get worse.

Oct 12 2019 | 7:41 pm EDT Chuck Finley69

And which carrier?

Thanks
As conite states, 9930 is VZW as it sounds like your Q10 is as well so CDMA is similar for both. At this point, either use 9930 or Q10 on VZW if you already have the devices and they might still reactivate for existing line.

If you’re going to buy 9900 or Q10 for GSM carrier, either AT&T or T-Mobile, make sure that you buy correct model for the carrier locked brand or the correct factory unlocked model. At this point, I’d avoid the carrier locked that people have converted to carrier unlocked. They’re extra cheap but usually are missing certain bands and other minimal problems years ago but cause bigger problems years later.

Oct 12 2019 | 10:30 pm EDT dbq10

I used to use a budget priced prepaid plan from T-mobile on my Q10 with no problems. You can get plans with voice and text only.

Oct 14 2019 | 5:33 pm EDT i_plod_an_dr_void

And which carrier?

Thanks
If you aren't particularly mobile, and or almost always have Wifi access (at home etc) then maybe a VOIP plan (without cellular) would be sufficient combined with BBMe for texting and other communication. However if you wish to have constant potential access, then cellular is probably necessary.