I've installed Open Camera on my Q10, which (I understand) enhances this apps functionality, in combo with API? Can I, should I, or is it already activated?
    Any help is appreciated.
    ... john
    03-12-23 11:46 AM
    An API is not something you control.

The "Application Programming Interface" is provided by the programmer to allow 3rd party access to certain features of an app or hardware. For example, it allows other apps to access certain Facebook or Twitter features. In the case of hardware, the operating system API gives access for 3rd party developers to some hardware features.

But, the API has to already be there in any particular instance. Either the 3rd party app can see the API, or it can't. If the app can't, then there's no access. Simple as that.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    ppeters914 likes this.
    03-12-23 12:13 PM
    I've installed Open Camera on my Q10, which (I understand) enhances this apps functionality, in combo with API? Can I, should I, or is it already activated?
    Any help is appreciated.
    ... john
    Related to your question, I don't think that open camera can access the Q10 camera in more than a limited way and thus can't make use of the full potential of the app. The titan mobiles e.g. allow the app more control.
    03-12-23 02:21 PM

The "Application Programming Interface" is provided by the programmer to allow 3rd party access to certain features of an app or hardware. For example, it allows other apps to access certain Facebook or Twitter features. In the case of hardware, the operating system API gives access for 3rd party developers to some hardware features.

But, the API has to already be there in any particular instance. Either the 3rd party app can see the API, or it can't. If the app can't, then there's no access. Simple as that.

Hi Joe,
    Thanks for the primer. That helps.
    .... john
    03-13-23 10:48 AM

Hi Joel,
    Would this explain then, why Open camera shows a control for adjusting exposure on my Moto G, and Blackberry does not?
    .... john
    04-09-23 09:22 AM
    Hi Joel,
    Would this explain then, why Open camera shows a control for adjusting exposure on my Moto G, and Blackberry does not?
    .... john
    Because Moto was a company that built their phone around how Android works... open.

BlackBerry locked things down on BB10 as much as possible, wasn't really their plan to allow a lot of access to 3rd parties.
    04-10-23 07:39 AM
    Thanks Dunt.
    Is there an app, that you're aware, which allows adjustment of the exposure value (i.e. -2 to +2)
    on the Q10?
    ... john
    04-10-23 08:00 AM
    Thanks Dunt.
    Is there an app, that you're aware, which allows adjustment of the exposure value (i.e. -2 to +2)
    on the Q10?
    ... john
    Sorry I haven't used BB10 in years..... back then I did use Camera ++ (was in BBW) and later I tried Open Camera, trying to get more out of my Z10. In the end I did the best I could with the native camera app... as I usually didn't have the time to do manual settings. It was generally the low lighting shots that were the worst on my Z10. But loner exposure would have only allowed more blur... unless using a stand and fixed subjects.
    04-10-23 08:15 AM
    Sorry I haven't used BB10 in years..... back then I did use Camera ++ (was in BBW) and later I tried Open Camera, trying to get more out of my Z10. In the end I did the best I could with the native camera app... as I usually didn't have the time to do manual settings. It was generally the low lighting shots that were the worst on my Z10. But loner exposure would have only allowed more blur... unless using a stand and fixed subjects.
    Yes, right ...... thanks,
    ....... john
    04-10-23 08:30 AM
    Thanks Dunt.
    on the Q10?
    ... john
    There once was an app called Camera++. But, the developer never made it available outside of BlackBerry World. Once BBW shut down, that app disappeared with it for good.

It did have some custom controls, but exposure wasn't available except on the Z30, Classic and Passport (maybe the Leap too, but I don't know that for sure). No exposure value controls were available for the Q10 since it had an older camera module, otherwise Camera++ would have had it. If Camera++ didn't have it, then some random android app certainly wouldn't work.

04-10-23 08:56 AM
    There once was an app called Camera++. But, the developer never made it available outside of BlackBerry World. Once BBW shut down, that app disappeared with it for good.

It did have some custom controls, but exposure wasn't available except on the Z30, Classic and Passport (maybe the Leap too, but I don't know that for sure). No exposure value controls were available for the Q10 since it had an older camera module, otherwise Camera++ would have had it. If Camera++ didn't have it, then some random android app certainly wouldn't work.

Thanks joel. That'll save me the time I might have spent looking for one.
    ...... john
    04-10-23 09:00 AM