Any way as a non-business user, to wipe the BlackBerry (factory reset???) of all data and caches/phone logs, email account credentials but leave carrier/phone# active, cross a border then do a selective BlackBerry Desktop Software restore of email account setups, organizer data, contacts/schedule, email inboxes over the internet from a cloud-saved restore file?

A smart phone gives access to ones entire life, friends, banking, medical data and heaven knows what else. There is a limit to what one should have to give to customs officials. Guy arrested at customs today for refusing to divulge his BlackBerry password.

Anything available or in the pipeline?
    Thanks
    03-05-15 11:12 PM
    I doubt he can be arrested for not giving his password. The arrest must have been based on something else.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:31 PM
    Settings > security and privacy >security wipe. It will factory reset your phone to "just out of box" new.

BlackBerry link will do a full backup and restore or you could do a selective restore by clicking on custom restore and pick what data to restore.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:32 PM
    I doubt he can be arrested for not giving his password. The arrest must have been based on something else.

Posted via CB10
    It was reported he was charged with obstruction for not giving his device passcode.

https://n4bb.com/blackberry-user-ref...ine-jail-time/

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 12:16 AM
    Interesting issues. Smart phones are treated like laptops. Police need a warrant if there is a password but can browse if there isn't. Customs officers expect to demand access. Better if there is nothing on it when travelling and especially no email and logon IDs and passwords.

Need to download an app to the Blackberry to perform the restore from a Desktop Software restore file downloaded from Dropbox rather than having to connect to a home computer miles away huh?
    03-06-15 12:32 AM
    Make sure your notes are in evernote and sign out of the account and delete the app. Delete email accounts, use an sms backup app, move media and files to the SD card and remove card to go through customs, use firechest or backup pro to backup to your cloud service. Delete any apps that contain sensitive info, reverse process on the other side of the border. Whenever possible, backup items to media card and go through customs without the card inserted.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 O2 UK
    03-06-15 06:40 AM
    Or simply do a full backup on link, copy the backup file to a usb stick or micro sd card, security wipe, go through customs, find a computer, install link, restore from backup file on sd card or usb memory stick.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 O2 UK
    03-06-15 06:43 AM
    or, just why to bother?
    unless you have something illegal on your phone.
    03-06-15 06:49 AM
    or, just why to bother?
    Because we now have the same sense as Americans. **** the police and maintain our privacy at all costs. We will start to have our freedoms taken away from us probably even quicker than the US citizens have in the past as Harper tries to catch up to the US levels.

Sorry for swearing, the filter will catch this one immediately.
    thurask likes this.
    03-06-15 07:15 AM
    So you think custom operatives knows how to use hub and empty icons?

Anyhow, since I do not have anything to hide..

Also, the story about that canadian guy and fine.
    Imho there was some other background to check the phone, not just because.

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    03-06-15 09:16 AM
    I guess we need an app that when you enter the password to unlock it automatically wipes your phone. Give the Custom officials that password. Then you can tell them that they are the ones that just erased everything. You can say you have that security in case your phone got stolen and some one hacked the password. Then reload everything from your cloud once you clear customs.
    03-06-15 09:30 AM
    or, just why to bother?
    Or maybe you have proprietary information. Or your company's intellectual property, or you simply don't want people invading your privacy.

You are the kind of sheep that would submit to a cavity search because you've got nothing to hide. You'd allow the "authorities" into your house for a random search because you've got nothing to hide. All in the name of being a government obeying member of the herd.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    mtitiz34 likes this.
    03-07-15 10:10 AM
    Well no, I justthink, that in worst case you can always pretend that you forgot password and then just wipe the device after the 10th try

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    03-07-15 01:18 PM
    Just go to BlackBerry World and get Ultimate Backup. You can backup and restore everything over the air. No need for BlackBerry Link. Jim

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 01:34 PM
    Amazing! I detailed this scenario when Backup Pro launched over a year ago. Go to BlackBerry World and read the app description. Then contact support and we'll give you a free copy.

Backup Pro doesn't require a third-party cloud app to get the job done.

Backup Pro supports the Mega cloud service natively.

Backup Pro has an intuitive & uncluttered UI.

Backup Pro updates undergo intensive testing BEFORE release.

Backup Pro is the number one backup app in BlackBerry World.

Another update is releasing in a few days with more goodies.

And features continue to be added in a cautious manner to ensure the safety of user data and the integrity of the user experience.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 06:45 PM