https://www.phonearena.com/news/Verizon-will-no-longer-activate-3G-phones-on-its-network_id106697

I am still a big fan of the BB OS, I really only use email and I cut and paste a ton which is really easy on my Bold 9650. I have tried Android devices and my fat fingers are not good at cutting and pasting. Does anyone know what older models with BB OS Verizon might support after 2019?
    08-31-18 06:20 PM
    not sure any BBOS device will work other than bb10.
    08-31-18 06:59 PM
    Once the CDMA network is shut down, BIS will be retired along with it, so BBOS devices will not work over the Verizon network. At this point, some people have even reported issues activating BB10 devices on their network lately since they don't have to activate any device that relies on CDMA for voice.

I wouldn't be shocked if even BB10 devices begin to stop working after the CDMA phaseout. Verizon has a financial interest in moving as many of their customers as possible over to VoLTE devices as quickly as possible to avoid issues and complaints once the legacy network is shut down.
    09-02-18 08:58 AM
    Pretty sure you'd need to be on Verizon's whitelist for calls to continue working. Only the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is currently on the list of supported devices.
    09-02-18 09:06 AM
    So far they are grandfathering in already active accounts on BB10 phones. No idea how much longer they will continue to do so.

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.3.2.2813
    09-02-18 09:42 AM
    So far they are grandfathering in already active accounts on BB10 phones. No idea how much longer they will continue to do so.

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.3.2.2813
    The question is what happens after CDMA is discontinued, as that is how calls are made with BB10 devices.
    09-02-18 11:40 AM
    not sure any BBOS device will work other than bb10.
    BB10 will still work?
    10-09-18 02:04 PM
    Well... wouldn't you need a GSM phone?
    10-09-18 02:34 PM
    BB10 will still work?
    only if you have the correct model
    10-09-18 02:36 PM
    only if you have the correct model
    which ones? blackberry classic?
    10-09-18 02:39 PM
    The Verizon Classic will work on Verizon CDMA and any GSM network. I'm using it on AT&T!
    10-09-18 02:43 PM
    The Verizon Classic will work on Verizon CDMA and any GSM network. I'm using it on AT&T!
    once Veirzon CDMA goes away, will it work on Verizon LTE, it looks like it is LTE capable
    10-09-18 03:24 PM
    BB10 will still work?
    I don't think they ever got around to VoLTE for BB10 on Verizon, so unless not having voice calls over cellular at all counts as working, then that's a no.
    10-09-18 03:38 PM
    I successfully got Verizon to activate a Verizon-branded CDMA Classic about 10 days ago. I brought the phone with me to a Verizon store and made it clear that their "bring your own device" plan should allow me to be able to use the phone on their current network. It took them almost 30 minutes to get it working (not one salesperson in the store even knew where the SIM card slot was and I had to show them how to get into the settings), but they did finally activate it, grudgingly. It works great too! :-)

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    10-10-18 02:37 AM
    https://www.phonearena.com/news/Verizon-will-no-longer-activate-3G-phones-on-its-network_id106697

I am still a big fan of the BB OS, I really only use email and I cut and paste a ton which is really easy on my Bold 9650. I have tried Android devices and my fat fingers are not good at cutting and pasting. Does anyone know what older models with BB OS Verizon might support after 2019?
    The secure 4G minimalist device seems to have a demographic like the punkt phone which sells for something like $350 US. With prices like that you would think Blackberry could compete in this space releasing a 4G version of the 9900. But for this to happen they would have to have a company like TCL to take it on as Blackberry has made it clear that they are done with making phones.
    10-10-18 02:58 AM
    The question is what happens after CDMA is discontinued, as that is how calls are made with BB10 devices.
    Most bb 10 devices can be used on gsm networks even the CDMA variants usually worked on GSM as well GSM3 definitely.
    10-10-18 05:29 AM
    The secure 4G minimalist device seems to have a demographic like the punkt phone which sells for something like $350 US. With prices like that you would think Blackberry could compete in this space releasing a 4G version of the 9900. But for this to happen they would have to have a company like TCL to take it on as Blackberry has made it clear that they are done with making phones.
    The device must support VoLTE to work on Verizon once the CDMA network is shut down.
    10-10-18 09:24 AM
    Once the CDMA network is shut down, BIS will be retired along with it, so BBOS devices will not work over the Verizon network. At this point, some people have even reported issues activating BB10 devices on their network lately since they don't have to activate any device that relies on CDMA for voice.

I wouldn't be shocked if even BB10 devices begin to stop working after the CDMA phaseout. Verizon has a financial interest in moving as many of their customers as possible over to VoLTE devices as quickly as possible to avoid issues and complaints once the legacy network is shut down.
    I was told by Verizon today that no BB10 devices can be activated on their network after July 1st, 2019 due to no HD Voice support. Already-activated BB10 devices (e.g. Classics, Z10s, Q10s, Z30s) will continue to receive service.
    06-13-19 12:57 AM
    BB10 will still work?
    Yes. BB10 devices use LTE, both for voice and for data.
    06-13-19 06:36 AM
    I don't think they ever got around to VoLTE for BB10 on Verizon, so unless not having voice calls over cellular at all counts as working, then that's a no.
    Who said anything about Verizon stopping voice and SMS?
    They say they are stopping the 3G network which is data and they probably stopped the 2G network which is also data but standard GSM is the voice and text which to my knowledge has not been stopped. In many areas for some text go over the analogue networks rather than the digital networks. 4G is supposed to be LTE which is a data transfer technology so unless you're using voice over LTE the standard text and voice should still carry on.
    They did do video over GSM and pulled the plug because most people were using other means to Video cast
    06-13-19 10:19 AM
    Who said anything about Verizon stopping voice and SMS?
    They say they are stopping the 3G network which is data and they probably stopped the 2G network which is also data but standard GSM is the voice and text which to my knowledge has not been stopped. In many areas for some text go over the analogue networks rather than the digital networks. 4G is supposed to be LTE which is a data transfer technology so unless you're using voice over LTE the standard text and voice should still carry on.
    They did do video over GSM and pulled the plug because most people were using other means to Video cast
    Didn’t analog networks get pulled and replaced by digital networks across the USA like 10-12 years ago??
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-13-19 10:23 AM
    Didn’t analog networks get pulled and replaced by digital networks across the USA like 10-12 years ago??
    Analogue Data yes. But voice and telemetry still work over the same masts. Public access probably not available, but you never know whether your call is coming over GSM digital or over analogue, all the phones are capable of receiving both.
    Is 5G rolls in, analogue will phase out.
    06-13-19 10:26 AM
    Analogue Data yes. But voice and telemetry still work over the same masts. Public access probably not available, but you never know whether your call is coming over GSM digital or over analogue, all the phones are capable of receiving both.
    Is 5G rolls in, analogue will phase out.
    I had GM Onstar in my old Yukon that was phased out due to Digital conversion. That would have relied on analog in a 2001 model right?
    06-13-19 10:37 AM
    They say they are stopping the 3G network which is data and they probably stopped the 2G network which is also data but standard GSM is the voice and text which to my knowledge has not been stopped.
    GSM is a 2G technology. Also, Verizon uses CDMA, not GSM.

4G is supposed to be LTE which is a data transfer technology so unless you're using voice over LTE the standard text and voice should still carry on.
    VoLTE is going to be the standard for Verizon after the 2G and 3G shutdown.

https://stopthecap.com/2019/03/19/ve...g-end-of-2019/
    06-13-19 11:13 AM
    GSM is a 2G technology. Also, Verizon uses CDMA, not GSM.

VoLTE is going to be the standard for Verizon after the 2G and 3G shutdown.

https://stopthecap.com/2019/03/19/ve...g-end-of-2019/
    It gets worse the entire cdma network is going to be shut down by Verizon. And when it comes to gsm only 4G LTE smartphones will be allowed, BUT ONLY IF THE HAVE ~ HD voice support. They will be recovering all copper wire from their ground networks in favour of just fibre-optic.
    Fibre optic technology does not support analogue in any shape or form.
    As this progressive any last vestiges of the old analogue network will be gone forever
    06-13-19 11:31 AM
32 12