hi
    can anyone help please, how to get video chat app onto a blackberry playbook? I found one thread about missing most apps, but here I have camera and I guess most of the apps only video chat is missing.
    I want to connect to my mum over playbooks and we have eachother in contacts showing green in the video chat field, but unable to make calls.
    I have searched for video chat in the help section, there is no video chat section in there. I have found video chat in the getting started section, new features.... at the bottom. it says for more information, search in the video chat section (not exists).
    new to playbook, but I really like it, don't mind it's a bit old school type.
    just wish to have the only video call feature available and disappointed to have none.
    help please.
    01-23-16 09:55 AM
    Correct me if I'm mistaken.
    I understand you DO NOT have the video chat icon on your Playbook.

First make sure that you are opening all screen pages. Swipe down and up several times and from right to left/ and left to right several times to make certain you are exposing all icons on each available screen.

If you still cannot locate the videochat icon then you may want to update your operating system.

Go to the settings icon in top right corner (looks like a gearwheel). Press it to open settings and scroll to Software Updates. Update your software if needed.

If this fails to restore the videochat then you will need to do a factory reset. This will delete ALL the information you have on your device (pictures, documents, videos, music ) so save any data you wish to keep.

In the Settings menu scroll to Security and press Security Wipe. Follow the instructions. This will restore all the original factory settings and hopefully reload the videochat app.

Good luck!
    01-23-16 03:48 PM
    If the suggestions noted above still fail to reload the video chat service it is possible to side load the required bar files.

If you need additional assistance keep posting.

Posted via CB10
    swadarshan likes this.
    01-24-16 01:58 AM
    01-24-16 04:41 AM
    thank you all for the help. I was so disappointed. I'm not quite sure how to side load, but I will give it a try soon.
    @Lusitano17 your above suggestions made me smile... my mum would perhaps need them, but perhaps not in the language you've written... factory reset was equal to 'wiped off' in the title of my post.
    although you're right if you think is very weird no to have video chat after a factory reset imo.
    I'm just going to see if the link works now... will let you know in either ways.
    thanks again a lot. really appreciate all the help.
    01-24-16 05:40 PM
    hi again. I m 1 step away from sideloading, a very frustrating thing happened: when connecting to a PC, it is asking for a password, and I have no idea what that could be. I have already tried 3 versions of passwords, thinking it was something easy such as 1111 or so. but not.
    I have asked the person whom I bought it from, they have never connected the playbook to a PC, so have no idea.
    it is a password about connecting to other devices. I guess it has nothing to do with accounts, I really don't understand how can that be as default on a factory reset playbook?
    so in this way, I am unable to select the playbook as it won't appear in the file explorer. I was able to find its ip address and all, when trying to sideload.
    I still desperately need video chat app, any help please?
    01-24-16 07:36 PM
    The Playbook will need to be in "developmental mode" in order to sideload.

In Settings go to Security to enable Developmental Mode. It will prompt you to create a password. Depending upon the method you use to sideload you will need to enter that same password onto your PC and into the program you use to sideload.

There are several available options to sideload but I find the Google Chrome method to be the simplest. Watch the following links . The first is a step by step and should provide some success.

Sideloading made easy with the PlayBook App Manager Browser Plugin | CrackBerry.com

ps
    you are right there shouldnt be a default password...
    01-24-16 08:31 PM
    chrome isn't that easy for me, i use firefox and my pc is pretty much full, so i would need to install a new browser, i would need to delete files, really not something easy for me right now...
    but i guess, i would still need to connect to pc, which disabled right now. i'm thinking now if a factory reset would help me get playbook file share connections unlocked?
    01-24-16 09:12 PM
    Not certain what the password restriction might be...possibly ensure your Blackberry id is correct and appropriate password utilized..With that in mind a security wipe is probably necessary and won't put you any further behind.

The extension tool described for Chrome is reportedly also available for Firefox but the process is apparently slightly more involved.

Connect to following link and it reportedly provides a tutorial. One of the comments made on an associated thread stresses the importance of connecting to Firefox with use https:// not http.

BB10 / PlayBook App Manager

The other alternative is to use Sachesi loader. There are tutorials available both online and in Crackberry and if needed I can try and provide a link. Good luck.
    01-25-16 12:28 AM
    Not certain what the password restriction might be...possibly ensure your Blackberry id is correct and appropriate password utilized..With that in mind a security wipe is probably necessary and won't put you any further behind.

The extension tool described for Chrome is reportedly also available for Firefox but the process is apparently slightly more involved.

Connect to following link and it reportedly provides a tutorial. One of the comments made on an associated thread stresses the importance of connecting to Firefox with use https:// not http.

BB10 / PlayBook App Manager

The other alternative is to use Sachesi loader. There are tutorials available both online and in Crackberry and if needed I can try and provide a link. Good luck.
    what I have found by searching here in the forum, was that sometimes switching to development mode does automatically switches password protection on too. but in that case they said the password would be the same as I created for the sideloader. in my case it wasn't. at the end I had to wipe off everything, and obviously this is not a method for me to get video chat app, if development mode eventually doesn't even allow me to connect to pc, then I just have to security wipe and start all over again...
    I was thinking to use someone else's pc to have chrome available, but if I still need development mode I will still be in the same trap.
    01-25-16 04:54 AM
    I was so happy for this link. it would be so great if I wouldn't need to connect to a pc in development mode for sideloading!
    but like this I'm basically unable to get anywhere nearer to have video chat app
    just realized the others, who would also suggest to do that, have already deleted their replies...
    01-25-16 04:59 AM
    Always difficult to speculate in an online forum but it's probably best to start from scratch and security wipe phone again.
    Also log in to BBID and confirm your login credentials.
    Reactivate the PlayBook and setup.

Do try the side load procedure. I'm not familiar with Firefox but I routinely utilise the the Chrome extension on my PlayBooks and BB10 devices. It's a relatively simple process. The Mozilla process is likely quite similar.

The bar file provided by Bone matrix does work so if you can enable development mode on your PB you should be successful.

Without a doubt it can be frustrating but Good Luck!

Posted via CB10
    swadarshan likes this.
    01-25-16 01:57 PM
    Always difficult to speculate in an online forum but it's probably best to start from scratch and security wipe phone again.
    Also log in to BBID and confirm your login credentials.
    Reactivate the PlayBook and setup.

Do try the side load procedure. I'm not familiar with Firefox but I routinely utilise the the Chrome extension on my PlayBooks and BB10 devices. It's a relatively simple process. The Mozilla process is likely quite similar.

The bar file provided by Bone matrix does work so if you can enable development mode on your PB you should be successful.

Without a doubt it can be frustrating but Good Luck!

Posted via CB10
    It seems so simple to many of us here.... but yeah it's probably one of the reasons that the PlayBook and BB10 were never good platforms for the average consumer.

There was a utility that would also allow you to install apps on the PlayBook in place of the Chrome Installer.... DDPB Installer. But it still required developer mode and was not the simplest tool for the inexperienced to use.
    01-25-16 02:25 PM

There was a utility that would also allow you to install apps on the PlayBook in place of the Chrome Installer.... DDPB Installer. But it still required developer mode and was not the simplest tool for the inexperienced to use.
    Great suggestion....i still have DDPB installed on an old XP system but no longer utilise it.

Hopefully OP can solve the password issue and make use of one of the suggested utilities.

http://m.crackberry.com/ddpb-install...k-updated-v109

Posted via CB10
    swadarshan likes this.
    01-25-16 02:37 PM
    It seems so simple to many of us here.... but yeah it's probably one of the reasons that the PlayBook and BB10 were never good platforms for the average consumer.

DDPB - this is exactly what I was using. it did seem easy to use for me.
    only got stuck on getting device locked down with unknown password, being unable to find PB on PC explorer. I was literally 1 step away from having video chat app bar installed on my PlayBook.

now I'm just afraid to go through the same story again. I mean yeah, I got not much to lose again and again on my relatively new PB, but still it would be a nightmare to set it up again and again after so many security wipes. I still use it on the go every day, as I travel a lot to work. ain't get much time to deal with this.

I will try the browser extension next.

but I still don't have the clue, how to unlock the device when that password appears again.
    01-27-16 09:05 AM
    Have you tried checking for updates? I recall getting some of the built in apps I removed restored through an update. Wallpapers would also only reload through updates as well if you did a wipe.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 02:18 PM
    DDPB - this is exactly what I was using. it did seem easy to use for me.
    only got stuck on getting device locked down with unknown password, being unable to find PB on PC explorer. I was literally 1 step away from having video chat app bar installed on my PlayBook.

now I'm just afraid to go through the same story again. I mean yeah, I got not much to lose again and again on my relatively new PB, but still it would be a nightmare to set it up again and again after so many security wipes. I still use it on the go every day, as I travel a lot to work. ain't get much time to deal with this.

I will try the browser extension next.

but I still don't have the clue, how to unlock the device when that password appears again.
    You should be able to utilise DDPB.

Regardless of the utility you use to side load you need to place your PlayBook into Developmental mode.

Developmental mode will request that you create a password on your PlayBook.

That is the password that is also required for DDPB or the chrome/Mozilla extension.

If you did not place your PlayBook in Developmental mode that is likely your problem.

If you are being asked for a password when you try to enable Dev'tl mode then your device already has a security password on it.

If you didn't create a security password then someone else likely did and if you don't know who did you will need to verify your BlackBerry ID and wipe your device.

Can you describe exactly at what point the password request appears?

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 10:38 PM