I have a custom enterprise app which has a database-like file structure and which we have been updating with a desktop sync script that accessed our SD cards as a Windows drive letter. Been working with BB7 and through all BB10. With the KEYone, i can't find for the life of me a way to mount my external card (not the internal storage) as a plain USB drive. Been searching the web pretty much all day and came back empty-handed. (1) looks like Android can't do that in the first place, and (2) other solutions like having an FTP/webDAV server on the handset and mapping that as a drive under Windows is (a) excruciatingly slow, and (b) has lots of little file system issues.

Anyone has any experience with that sort of things? Any way BlackBerry can think about this feature? Was invaluable in the past to double a phone as a portable USB stick as well. Seems like basic stuff to me!
    06-16-17 09:36 PM
    I have a custom enterprise app which has a database-like file structure and which we have been updating with a desktop sync script that accessed our SD cards as a Windows drive letter. Been working with BB7 and through all BB10. With the KEYone, i can't find for the life of me a way to mount my external card (not the internal storage) as a plain USB drive. Been searching the web pretty much all day and came back empty-handed. (1) looks like Android can't do that in the first place, and (2) other solutions like having an FTP/webDAV server on the handset and mapping that as a drive under Windows is (a) excruciatingly slow, and (b) has lots of little file system issues.

Anyone has any experience with that sort of things? Any way BlackBerry can think about this feature? Was invaluable in the past to double a phone as a portable USB stick as well. Seems like basic stuff to me!
    I am not a tech wiz. Also, maybe a bit of clarification would help. Are you trying to mount something like an external thumb drive to the phone as a 3rd drive? Or are you trying to read an sd-card you have put into the drive slot. Generally the newer Android OS's require you to specifically mount the drives when you plug in a usb cable. When plugged in the phone/usb defaults to CHARGING ONLY. You have to switch that by swiping down from the top and looking at your Notifications. Find the "usb charging" notice and tap that to change to one of the file access protocols.

If trying to use a thumb drive connected to usb you might need a usb-on-the-go adapter?
    06-16-17 09:52 PM
    Android pre-Marshmallow (I think) had mass storage mode available (i.e. drive letters for SD cards), but now it's just MTP or PTP. To be honest, your best bet is to remove the SD card and put it in a USB SD card reader.
    06-16-17 10:27 PM
    MTP is the option for just plain file manager so you can move files. I had to choose all of them to figure out one gave me a separate drive.
    06-17-17 01:12 AM