I have received the following text message:

"From: -EE-
    Received: 26 Sep 2019 11:19
    Subject: Hi,

Hi, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS) will be switched off on 31 October 2019.

If you use a Blackberry device pre BlackBerry 10 (ie. Curve, Bold, Torch, Storm, Porsche), it will no longer have access to the following applications: Blackberry Email, Blackberry Messenger, Blackberry World, Facebook and Web Browsing.

You'll still be able to use your phone to make and receive calls, send and receive texts, and may be able to use data through a WiFi connection or your data plan allowance. "

Is this just EE in the UK or has my long-term use of the mighty 9300 finally come to an end? I still use it for calls, texts, and multi email accounts - its the best thing out there and with a QWERTY keyboard. (Yes I also run and Android but its not as good for my uses)
    09-27-19 05:53 AM

If you use a Blackberry device pre BlackBerry 10 (ie. Curve, Bold, Torch, Storm, Porsche), it will no longer have access to the following applications: Blackberry Email, Blackberry Messenger, Blackberry World, Facebook and Web Browsing.

You'll still be able to use your phone to make and receive calls, send and receive texts, and may be able to use data through a WiFi connection or your data plan allowance. "

Is this just EE in the UK or has my long-term use of the mighty 9300 finally come to an end? I still use it for calls, texts, and multi email accounts - its the best thing out there and with a QWERTY keyboard. (Yes I also run and Android but its not as good for my uses)
    This is a carrier-by-carrier decision. It's not turning off at the source - at least in the immediate future.
    09-27-19 09:02 AM
    Yeah. Some carriers around the world have already turned off BIS through their systems. Some have threatened for a while that it will go away. Some will hang on to it for as long as BlackBerry maintains it.

Guess EE decided on a hard shut-off date.
    09-27-19 09:45 AM
    The life support is slowly being switched off. The end of BB is near.
    09-27-19 09:45 AM

I *think* Vodafone still has BIS services but I would not expect it to last much longer on any network - it's a network for devices that haven't been sold by carriers in five (six?) years and the number of users must be tiny.
    09-27-19 10:37 AM
    Just to be sure, this doesn't include devices such as Keyone correct? Also, for the BB Classic for example, could another browser be downloaded to be able to go on the internet using WiFi?
    09-27-19 02:53 PM
    Just to be sure, this doesn't include devices such as Keyone correct? Also, for the BB Classic for example, could another browser be downloaded to be able to go on the internet using WiFi?
    Only affects the BB0S 7 and below devices, not bb10 or bb android devices
    vanillatwin likes this.
    09-27-19 02:57 PM
    09-27-19 03:03 PM
    So glad I found this page, just got notice from O2 that they're switching off BIS and my beloved old curve is not going to do email any more. Looks from this page like I might be able to use a Classic... I thought perhaps move to Vodaphone but so far have been unable to contact them after several calls, not a good sign, and think that would only be prolonging the agony so need to change device now. Was so upset but looks like ray of hope.
    11-25-20 12:00 PM
    You have totally made my day, thanks so much.
    11-25-20 12:02 PM
    So glad I found this page, just got notice from O2 that they're switching off BIS and my beloved old curve is not going to do email any more. Looks from this page like I might be able to use a Classic... I thought perhaps move to Vodaphone but so far have been unable to contact them after several calls, not a good sign, and think that would only be prolonging the agony so need to change device now. Was so upset but looks like ray of hope.
    I’m not sure that I’d switch to Classic if used as primary device as BB10 is also losing support and going EOL in stages in the not so distant future. If the PKB is really necessary, get a Key2 or Key2 LE if you understand it’s also 2.5 year old hardware running 3.5 year old software in terms of it’s Android version.

The best news is their might be new BlackBerry licensed hardware in the next 6-12 months from Onward Mobility if we’re lucky. For now, I would start researching Android VKB hardware for the newest preferred in your budget.
    11-25-20 03:30 PM
    Hi Chuck

Thanks for this advice, much appreciated, so nice to have a BB community out there who understand! I have a priv that I use without a sim for apps I really must have (no social media) and I have a classic here so will switch to that for now but I will definitely consider a Key2 and hope they bring out a new BB next year. What I really wish is that they'd bring out a tiny device like the curve that does everything but you can still pop in your pocket and hardly notice it's there, even the Classic is a bit big for that. Also that didn't have a touch-screen, I hate them. OK, I admit it, I wish it was 1975 but with Blackberries. Funny thing is, my old curve still gets a signal where many a brand new android device can't, like at my mum's place in the middle of nowhere. And I love it that you can switch it right off or even take the battery out if you're in a meeting or having a confidential discussion. Anyway, am sure I'll take to whatever new BB arrangement like a duck to water but just for now am in that 'farewell old friend' state of mind about it!

All best, PS
    11-26-20 02:19 AM
    FYI, BlackBerry Limited will shut down the BIS servers in 14 months. Any remaining carriers offering BIS will end their BIS offerings at that time.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-26-20 07:43 PM